Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Trey Lance to the vikes is getting some play on the internet. Sit him behind Cousins for 2023 and then he can take over in 2024
vikes don't have a 2nd, so maybe a 2023 3rd and a conditional pick for 2024. Lance is from NoDak, so he should have a decent following in western minny

https://overthecap.com/player/trey-lance/9467

IT. IS. TIME

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BSA wrote:
19 Apr 2023 12:49
Trey Lance to the vikes is getting some play on the internet. Sit him behind Cousins for 2023 and then he can take over in 2024
vikes don't have a 2nd, so maybe a 2023 3rd and a conditional pick for 2024. Lance is from NoDak, so he should have a decent following in western minny

This would be goodcfor Packers. I don't think Lance will amount to an above average starter.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
19 Apr 2023 12:49

I might want Kirk if I’m SF. He’s played well with Shanahan, if he plays super well, keep him.

If not, let him walk and prolly get a 3rd comp pick.

Short commitment, better than punting on the whole year with Darnold, won’t affect Purdy long term.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BSA wrote:
18 Apr 2023 15:36
paco wrote:
18 Apr 2023 15:00
I'm fine with getting Davis. I'm not really fine with getting him via trade. Don't want him at that price.
Of course not.
Allen Robinson had $15M guaranteed salary, Rams are eating 10M of it. Corey Davis has $ 10M - not guaranteed. Contract won't be an issue and you're getting a younger WR in the deal. One guess ? They take that $10M salary and turn it into a signing bonus, spread it out over 3 seasons and give him a vet minimum salary for those 3 seasons. So you'd be getting Davis for 3 years, about $13M- $14M total. ( 4.6M/ yr) Not bad.

Win for the jets, win for Davis, win for GB 8-)
But then, wouldn’t Davis hit our cap at $13M in 2023? That seems like a lot, unless he becomes a productive starter.

I think we could’ve kept Lazard at that price.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yikes

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I guess we know what the Lions like to do in their free time.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I love the crackdowns on gambling.

The only way to let gambling on sports thrive is to harshly punish the insiders and players who do it.

Some will say it's hypocrisy to welcome gambling and then punish the players for it more harshly than if they assaulted someone, but I think it's the best way to do it.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Sounding like some Lions staff (not necessarily coaches) may have been involved as well. Just when you think the Lions are getting it together.
RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
21 Apr 2023 11:50
Just when you think the Lions are getting it together.
maybe this will slow the hype train just a little.
The Lions have had back-to-back winning seasons just 3 times in 30+ years. Winning is hard in the NFL, stacking success is even harder.
IT. IS. TIME

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2023 11:15

The only way to let gambling on sports thrive is to harshly punish the insiders and players who do it.

Some will say it's hypocrisy to welcome gambling and then punish the players for it more harshly than if they assaulted someone, but I think it's the best way to do it.
While this is probably very just punishment, it IS hypocrisy for the NFL to be in bed with gambling. This is a very slippery slope!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

williewasgreat wrote:
21 Apr 2023 13:36
YoHoChecko wrote:

While this is probably very just punishment, it IS hypocrisy for the NFL to be in bed with gambling. This is a very slippery slope!
But see it is not.

The ONLY way to allow legal sports betting is if players and coaches are strictly barred from it.

It’s not hypocrisy to say that judges can’t rule on cases they have conflicts of interest in. It’s ok for there to be different times for different levels of involvement and power over outcomes.

It’s not hypocrisy. It’s saying “if we’re going to get in with gambling in ways that create revenues which drive up salary cap and player compensation, the players and coaches and staff have to be held to a different standard than the general public.”

That’s actually how systems work. Not a display of abuse.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHo mentioned the conflict of interest. That’s good. But it goes a step further.

If a league wants to promote gambling, for whatever reason, they are promoting the idea of financial gain. For the bettors and for the league.

Players, coaches, and team FO personnel must keep the highest priority of making the game of football of the highest quality. In other words, do the stuff that makes their teams the most competitive. The moment you allow people “inside” the teams to gamble, you are then allowing and promoting that they can place the financial gain to a higher priority than the competitiveness of their team. And that is a conflict that decays the quality of the entire league.

That is not hypocrisy. That is good business practice.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2023 13:39
williewasgreat wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

But see it is not.

The ONLY way to allow legal sports betting is if players and coaches are strictly barred from it.

It’s not hypocrisy to say that judges can’t rule on cases they have conflicts of interest in. It’s ok for there to be different times for different levels of involvement and power over outcomes.

It’s not hypocrisy. It’s saying “if we’re going to get in with gambling in ways that create revenues which drive up salary cap and player compensation, the players and coaches and staff have to be held to a different standard than the general public.”

Sorry, but just the fact that the NFL is now willing to put their league on the line to make money supporting the concept of gambling that has such a long history of scandals, criminal activity and fixing game outcomes, yet tells players they can't bet on games they have nothing to do with is hypocrisy. The NFL can control things that do influence outcomes a great deal more than what most players can actually do. The NFL has no problems selling out to make more money. Just like they claim they support player safety at the same time they add a 17th game to an already too long season. Nothing matters to this league but the almighty dollar. Absolutely nothing good comes from a sports league aligning itself with sports betting. Why do you think the league instituted player injury reports to begin with? It's all because of gambling.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Regarding the 6-game suspension that Jameson Williams received:
Williams and Berryhill reportedly bet on college football games -- which is allowed per the NFL but did so from league facilities, which is prohibited.
Ok, that's some BS if you asked me. They can make a bet from their living room but can't place the bet from the locker room? What difference does it make where the bet is placed from so long as it's a legal and approved bet??

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

williewasgreat wrote:
21 Apr 2023 16:56
YoHoChecko wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

But see it is not.

Sorry, but just the fact that the NFL is now willing to put their league on the line to make money supporting the concept of gambling that has such a long history of scandals, criminal activity and fixing game outcomes, yet tells players they can't bet on games they have nothing to do with is hypocrisy. The NFL can control things that do influence outcomes a great deal more than what most players can actually do. The NFL has no problems selling out to make more money. Just like they claim they support player safety at the same time they add a 17th game to an already too long season. Nothing matters to this league but the almighty dollar. Absolutely nothing good comes from a sports league aligning itself with sports betting. Why do you think the league instituted player injury reports to begin with? It's all because of gambling.
The gambling was there long before the injury reports. The reports were to cut the "inside information" down. I agree with Yoho that you can have the fans gambling, but forbidding the players, etc has to be in place.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If we are considering spending something like a 3-5th round pick on a QB to be a backup, should we maybe consider Lance if he was cheap enough?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
21 Apr 2023 17:52
williewasgreat wrote:
21 Apr 2023 16:56
YoHoChecko wrote:

But see it is not.

The gambling was there long before the injury reports. The reports were to cut the "inside information" down. I agree with Yoho that you can have the fans gambling, but forbidding the players, etc has to be in place.
how could the league possible control that?

I already think players are betting using others to place there bets, same with officials, in all my years of watching NFL games I have never seen so many outcomes of games determined in the last couple minutes do to officiating, that is bound to escalate as a result of the nfl now making it legal.

sports betting will ruin the game even more then it's become now, some games obviously look fixed already, the temptation of huge winnings, the fact that so many teams have no chance of PO contention will tempt players to bet against themselves and there team.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

We now root for Rodgers to stay healthy and for the Jets to suck?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
24 Apr 2023 13:31
If we are considering spending something like a 3-5th round pick on a QB to be a backup, should we maybe consider Lance if he was cheap enough?
I have doubts that the Niners will trade away Lance, despite the reporting. But if he’s available for a 5th, why not?
:-)