Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
20 Apr 2023 18:21
lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Apr 2023 13:10
BSA wrote:
20 Apr 2023 13:08

I often felt disappointed at ARs recruiting efforts over the years in GB. Part of it stems from his unwillingness to commit to GB starting in 2020
I don't know this, but I suspect JJ Watt turned away from the Packers because AR said: " I might not even be there"
Then he signed in AZ. There were some veiled comments that surfaced at the time - and maybe more comes out in the coming years.
But this is just pure speculation on my part.
JJ Watt turned away because we couldn’t afford him. We probably had a shot if we didn’t spend on bad contracts. Kevin King being one of them.
It is worse than that. Remember that ALL of Packer Nation was screaming for Gute to take TJ Watt late 1st that year when still available at their pick. Instead Gute trades down and takes King. Yet some still insist Gute is a good GM.
Lol

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I heard that TT had been phased out and that Gute was more-or-less in charge of the draft that year. Dunno how true it is, certainly a hearsay thing so take that for what you will.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

wallyuwl wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
BSA wrote:
20 Apr 2023 13:08

I often felt disappointed at ARs recruiting efforts over the years in GB. Part of it stems from his unwillingness to commit to GB starting in 2020
I don't know this, but I suspect JJ Watt turned away from the Packers because AR said: " I might not even be there"
Then he signed in AZ. There were some veiled comments that surfaced at the time - and maybe more comes out in the coming years.
But this is just pure speculation on my part.
JJ Watt turned away because we couldn’t afford him. We probably had a shot if we didn’t spend on bad contracts. Kevin King being one of them.
It is worse than that. Remember that ALL of Packer Nation was screaming for Gute to take TJ Watt late 1st that year when still available at their pick. Instead Gute trades down and takes King. Yet some still insist Gute is a good GM.
I bet it was Gute who picked Justin Harrell and all of the other poor TT picks too.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
20 Apr 2023 20:07
I heard that TT had been phased out and that Gute was more-or-less in charge of the draft that year. Dunno how true it is, certainly a hearsay thing so take that for what you will.
Yes.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
20 Apr 2023 23:35
Labrev wrote:
Yes.
Obvious.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
20 Apr 2023 20:14
wallyuwl wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I bet it was Gute who picked Justin Harrell and all of the other poor TT picks too.
why say something like this, you know damn well WAlly was probably right. :idn:

it's on record that Ted struggled in the press conference after the trade to take King, wasn't even sure of the picks he acquired in the trade when asked.

Ted Thompson Is Clearly Losing It And It’s Hard To Watch
by Joseph Bonham April 28, 2017

https://totalpackers.com/2017/04/ted-th ... l-decline/

and there are plenty of other articles that tell of Ted not acting his normal self during that draft, but you and Packfn have to rush in here with your disingenuous comments to attack Wally or try and set the record straight, and all both of you did was show your ignorance.

obviously whomever made the decision felt we needed a CB more then we needed a Edge rusher, so whoever it was missed, big deal, not the only defensive high pick we've missed on in that decade.
Last edited by Yoop on 21 Apr 2023 09:06, edited 3 times in total.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Labrev wrote:
Unfortunately he was in cognitive decline for a while. I have a relative who, let's just say, works for the team and is close enough to know a good amount of things, and he said that it was obvious just by being in the room or elevator with TT that he was really struggling.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
21 Apr 2023 08:24
Packfn have to rush in here with your disingenuous comments to attack Wally or try and set the record straight, and all both of you did was show your ignorance.
I made a factual comment.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

it's on record that Ted struggled in the press conference after the trade to take King, wasn't even sure of the picks he acquired in the trade when asked.

and there are plenty of other articles that tell of Ted not acting his normal self during that draft, but you and Packfn have to rush in here with your disingenuous comments to attack Wally or try and set the record straight, and all both of you did was show your ignorance.
But why assume it was Gute who was then running the ship? The assumption at the time was that Elliot Wolf was #2 and eventual successor. After all if we are bringing up press conferences...remember it was Wolf who took to the podium after the selection to talk about King.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Apr 2023 09:05
Yoop wrote:
Packfn have to rush in here with your disingenuous comments to attack Wally or try and set the record straight, and all both of you did was show your ignorance.
and missed on the reality of the situation, quit being a school marm

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
21 Apr 2023 09:07
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

But why assume it was Gute who was then running the ship? The assumption at the time was that Elliot Wolf was #2 and eventual successor. After all if we are bringing up press conferences...remember it was Wolf who took to the podium after the selection to talk about King.
not according to the article I just brought, and we don't know who was the leading person to make that pick, for all you know it could have been Russ Ball, you came in with a sarcastic remark when you new very likely Ted didn't make that pick

now I get it, you chimed in to defend Gute, who by all accounts has basically missed on a bunch of draft picks,

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Apr 2023 09:05
Yoop wrote:
and missed on the reality of the situation, quit being a school marm
I don't subscribe to yoop reality, so I missed nothing. I know you love your conspiracies and &%$@, but there is no evidence that Gutekunst was the leader behind the King pick. That is idiotic narrative driven &%$@.

FYI, there is no doubt Thompson was in decline.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
21 Apr 2023 09:13
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

not according to the article I just brought, and we don't know who was the leading person to make that pick, for all you know it could have been Russ Ball, you came in with a sarcastic remark when you new very likely Ted didn't make that pick

now I get it, you chimed in to defend Gute, who by all accounts has basically missed on a bunch of draft picks,
Your article didn't even mention Gutekunst.

Exactly, we don't know who engineered the King pick, so attributing it to Gutekunst is nothing but narrative driven crap.

No defense of Gutekunst, defense of reality and against gaslighting.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Is this gunna be one of those things where know one does or could know the answer, but we’re all gunna get super aggressive about it anyway and pretend like we all know?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TT may have signed off on the pick, but given what we know about his mental state, unlikely that he was running the show. I doubt it was Ball because he's more of a cap and FA guy.

So it was likely Gute or Wolf, maybe they co-GM'd it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
21 Apr 2023 09:39
Is this gunna be one of those things where know one does or could know the answer, but we’re all gunna get super aggressive about it anyway and pretend like we all know?
no, simply pointing out why these discussions end up be back and forth affairs, why bother to challenge WAlly with a sarcastic blip as GPG did when everyone basically new Ted was GM on paper only at that time, but others where advising him who to pick.

Pckfn 23: why bother to derail reality? yes history will show that Ted was GM in 2017, but we all know he was not capable of running a draft, there are plenty of other articles that will attest to that, so again why pop in and stipulate that fact?

Wally wanted to slam Guty for the pick and he isn't even half wrong.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Brian Gutekunst was never mentioned in that article. I'm not a Gute defender. But I also won't standby when baseless claims of blame is laid at anyone. And that is exactly what Wally's was.

Now. BG was absolutely a leader of that committee and absolutely bears partial responsibility for the selection. But he wasn't the General Manager nor do we know BG would have traded down and taken King rather than TJ in 2017 like I hoped the Packers would.

It's a weird convenience of argument to tie "well Ted was incoherent so it was BG who pulled the lever on the poor 2017 top of the draft performance." Especially when it was Elliot Wolf who was the perceived #2 and the actual visual and public spokesman of the Packers draft that weekend. Not Brian Gutekunst.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

So every one agrees TT was just a puppet at that time in his career, yet multiple know-it-alls still want to get in pop shots at Wally. Lol. Cool forum.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Apr 2023 10:21
So every one agrees TT was just a puppet at that time in his career, yet multiple know-it-alls still want to get in pop shots at Wally. Lol. Cool forum.
Well yeah, for exclusively pinning the blame of Kevin King over TJ Watt on Brian Gutenkunst, even though he wasn't GM till about 8 months after that. Comments like that probably deserves a few popped shots. :lol:

Thanks for the kind positive feedback on the forum, I think its cool too. 8-)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
21 Apr 2023 10:18
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Brian Gutekunst was never mentioned in that article. I'm not a Gute defender. But I also won't standby when baseless claims of blame is laid at anyone. And that is exactly what Wally's was.

Now. BG was absolutely a leader of that committee and absolutely bears partial responsibility for the selection. But he wasn't the General Manager nor do we know BG would have traded down and taken King rather than TJ in 2017 like I hoped the Packers would.

It's a weird convenience of argument to tie "well Ted was incoherent so it was BG who pulled the lever on the poor 2017 top of the draft performance." Especially when it was Elliot Wolf who was the perceived #2 and the actual visual and public spokesman of the Packers draft that weekend. Not Brian Gutekunst.
NO ELLIOT WOLF WAS NOT THE #2 THAT was just a assumption by you. me and most of us here, find me something from the Packer FO that says he was.

Wally was basically right, and it doesn't matter who was in charge, hind sight says Watt was the better pick, you sure as hell where protecting Guty and so was Packfn.

Wolf spoke because Ted couldn't andf Guty probably didn't want to, duh, where is Elliot Wolf now, I doubt he was considered near as much as most of us think.

I get accused all the time of attacking posters, what a bunch of horse s..., you and 23 attacked what Wally said before he even finished typing, and in defense mind you of a GM that has missed on mostly 2 whole freaking drafts, give me a break.

t