2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
21 Apr 2023 11:34
So this "cognition" thing is the new priority measuring stick for QB's, is that right?
Aptitude testing has been around for 50+ years.
The S2 version taken on a gaming console has been around for 7+ years, but its become "famous" more recently. Pretty solid data on measuring QB aptitudes- which are innate. If you do poorly on the test, it doesn't mean you'll suck- it just means you will have to work even harder to overcome your limitations in processing speed and decision-making. I posted some blurbs about how they use it for DBs, earlier in this thread.
Its quite interesting.
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I didn't get super into Cody Mauch because I want power guys and it sounds like he's more of a move-blocker that needs to add strength.

But on second thought, while not quite what I am looking for at IOL, I get some strong Zach Tom vibes from him, and I would not mind another Zach Tom. He moves so well, and the guys who have their kind of hip torque are really nice at OL no matter where you have them.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
21 Apr 2023 13:09
I didn't get super into Cody Mauch because I want power guys and it sounds like he's more of a move-blocker that needs to add strength.

But on second thought, while not quite what I am looking for at IOL, I get some strong Zach Tom vibes from him, and I would not mind another Zach Tom. He moves so well, and the guys who have their kind of hip torque are really nice at OL no matter where you have them.
I like Mauch a lot for the reasons you state and dislike him for the reasons you state.

My issue is that his projected draft status seems to be above some plug-and-play interior linemen. In the 3rd or 4th round, taking an OL who could be elite if he adds strength and power in an NFL strength program for a year makes sense.

In round two when Steve Avila and Matthew Bergeron and John Michael Schmidt are on the board, here’s poor value

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I keep seeing 'there's a lot of JSN to GB momentum' like tweets, but I can't seems to find any source of anything. Just everyone saying its heating up.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
21 Apr 2023 14:30
I keep seeing 'there's a lot of JSN to GB momentum' like tweets, but I can't seems to find any source of anything. Just everyone saying its heating up.
There was an "anonymous scout" quote and then someone from NFL DraftScout.

But also, like, we all know JSN would be a target; one question was if he's available to us. Another question is if someone else with an even higher grade falls.

But he ticks our boxes. And like I've said many times: In 5 years, Gutey has been well-reported to have tried to trade up to draft a WR in the Justin Jefferson/Jordan Love year, in the Rashod Bateman year, and in the Christian Watson year--where he offered the same deal he used to move up to 34 at some of the last picks in the 1st round.

Some of the same guys who reported those attempted trades are out here parroting "The Packers don't draft WRs in the first round" bunk. Gutey will draft a WR if he has the right opportunity to, and JSN is the best WR in this draft and fits what the Packers like/want/need.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/d ... 0609966462

Fun listen if you have a lot of free time, lol.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2023 14:41
BF004 wrote:
21 Apr 2023 14:30
There was an "anonymous scout" quote and then someone from NFL DraftScout.

But also, like, we all know JSN would be a target; one question was if he's available to us. Another question is if someone else with an even higher grade falls.

But he ticks our boxes. And like I've said many times: In 5 years, Gutey has been well-reported to have tried to trade up to draft a WR in the Justin Jefferson/Jordan Love year, in the Rashod Bateman year, and in the Christian Watson year--where he offered the same deal he used to move up to 34 at some of the last picks in the 1st round.

Some of the same guys who reported those attempted trades are out here parroting "The Packers don't draft WRs in the first round" bunk. Gutey will draft a WR if he has the right opportunity to, and JSN is the best WR in this draft and fits what the Packers like/want/need.
I fully expect JSN to be there and we take Jordan Addison instead. It would be the ultimate Gutenbumst move to pick the wrong player.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Arctic Fox
Reactions:

Post by Arctic Fox »

Hello Packer fans. I'm new here and I think we should draft Van Ness in the first round. TE Mayer in the 2nd if he is still there.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Arctic Fox wrote:
21 Apr 2023 16:50
Hello Packer fans. I'm new here and I think we should draft Van Ness in the first round. TE Mayer in the 2nd if he is still there.
welcome!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Arctic Fox wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Can’t say I’d hate those selections but my hope is we’d nab Murphy or Smith as an edge prospect before “settling” for Van Ness.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Arctic Fox wrote:
How the tight ends fall in this draft is probably what I'm most interested in for this draft as it pertains to the Packers.I'd love to get a pair of them out of this draft.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I tried to find a article I read last week that stated TE's tend to take till there 2nd contract to prosper and most don't become household names till there about 30, and yes there are exceptions, but they are few and far between, the guy said after QB in his opinion it's the next hardest transition from college to the nfl simply because of all the varied blocking assignments, coaches worry about a blocking failure could end the season for there QB, wish I could find it because it had a lot of info about the position.

now Kincaid may be considered one of the best receivers in this class, I've watched a lot of vids that support that opinion, runs great routes, fights the contested balls, has great after the catch run ability, but he has a long way to go as a edge pass protector, he could get Love destroyed, so how long would it be till Lafleur would trust him?

Meyers is a better blocker, and also a good receivers, so I think he'll go first, either way both wont be around for round 2, ya could line up either in the slot and they would produce.

more later,

I found it, it's from the comodors, please over look that :rotf: now we know why we where so reluctent to cut Mercedes Lewis, this is a few years old

Tight Ends Are Different
In the NFL, where draft pedigree often has a pretty solid correlation with professional performance (at least in broad terms), tight end is one position that bucks that trend - hard.

Here are the top 10 tight ends going into the 2020 season and their draft round and age:

Travis Kelce - Round 3 (age 30)
George Kittle - Round 5 (age 26)
Zach Ertz - Round 2 (age 29)
Mark Andrews - Round 3 (age 25)
Rob Gronkowski - Round 2 (age 31)
Darren Waller - Round 6 (age 27)
Jared Cook - Round 3 (age 33)
Austin Hooper - Round 3 (age 25)
Tyler Higbee - Round 4 (age 27)
Hunter Henry - Round 2 (age 25)

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/9/12/214 ... tight-ends
Last edited by Yoop on 22 Apr 2023 14:30, edited 2 times in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Food for thought on LVN

How would you compare him to Gary as a prospect? Physically they have very similar attributes and athletic testing. Both were used in college in ways that limited their production--Gary in more of a read/react pass rusher and run defender, LVN as a rotational pass rusher.

Gary was much more developed, in my view, in terms of how to play the game. Gary seems to move more explosively, which I guess shows up in the vertical and broad? LVN seems to be more of a power rusher but still needs to add some strength and refinement to better utilize that style

Anyway, I tend to feel like Gary is a better prospect, and that 10-15 feels too rich for LVN. But given the similarities, and that the Packers are in a place where an edge who needs some time might make sense, I guess others might feel differently
image.png
image.png (12.85 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I've been looking at this draft with EDGE as a huge need, but recent comments by LaCoach make me think we may deploy Quay as an EDGE in more packages in the 3-3-5 we run a lot of. If that is the case, our need might not be as dire.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Madcity_matt wrote:
22 Apr 2023 10:25
I've been looking at this draft with EDGE as a huge need, but recent comments by LaCoach make me think we may deploy Quay as an EDGE in more packages in the 3-3-5 we run a lot of. If that is the case, our need might not be as dire.
I think the perfect pairing for this deployment is another EDGE/off-ball hybrid, but someone who leans more EDGE while Quay leans more off-ball.

That's why I like Nolan Smith, Nick Hampton, and Yasir Abdullah as options for us more than I like our more standard big, power edges.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

With the resigning of Hollins, we are 4 deep at the EDGE and using Quay at times makes us 5 deep. I think Gutey doesn't necessarily need to get a Round 1 EDGE. He can get someone with great upside that can become Preston's replacement in the later rounds. I'd much rather get another IDL that can pressure up the middle before an EDGE guy. Unless they saw something in Ford or Slayton last year during practice, we need more than Wyatt and TJ helping KC.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Here's another LVN comp: Aaron Kampman.

'Took me way too long to see that one, but now I can't see anything else. Kampy (also a former Hawkeye) was a bull-rush guy all day long, and really not much else, but he was just so damn good at it.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I think my mind has crystalized on Smith and LVN as 1a and 1b at 15. I like Smith a hair better, because that speed/athleticism is RARE (basically DB numbers) and would give our D something very different, a real weapon you can line up all over the field.

But I see LVN similarly. Both have a rare trait that makes them special: with Smith it's speed, with Van Ness it's power (not be confused with strength: LVN is not simply strong, he's strong *and* that force comes at you fast for a guy his size). And I think whereas Smith can be lined up at either EDGE spot or as a blitz-LB, you can deploy LVN in a bunch of different looks, albeit strictly across the LOS rather than at the second-level.
—Magneto

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Labrev wrote:
22 Apr 2023 10:56
Here's another LVN comp: Aaron Kampman.

'Took me way too long to see that one, but now I can't see anything else. Kampy (also a former Hawkeye) was a bull-rush guy all day long, and really not much else, but he was just so damn good at it.
It was a shame that Kampman was lost in space and a man without a position when we went to the 3-4 and he had pass responsibilities added to his role.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Apr 2023 10:30
Madcity_matt wrote:
22 Apr 2023 10:25
I think the perfect pairing for this deployment is another EDGE/off-ball hybrid, but someone who leans more EDGE while Quay leans more off-ball.

That's why I like Nolan Smith, Nick Hampton, and Yasir Abdullah as options for us more than I like our more standard big, power edges.
He's really undersized though, 6.2, and 237 I love the athleticism but just think he will struggle against more athletic OT's at this level

I think the goal with bigger DE size edge rushers is to have better edge contain ability and also being able to move them inside, which we do with Gary, when ya couple that with better coverage ability with both ILB, why bother to drop a edge OLB/DE.

if we hadn't taken Quay last year then Smith imo becomes a better fit,

I like either of LVN or Murphy for us, big, brutish, that can play in or outside, perfect replacements for Perry Smith.

can't have enough pass rushers