2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
22 Apr 2023 14:44
He's really undersized though, 6.2, and 237 I love the athleticism but just think he will struggle against more athletic OT's at this level

I think the goal with bigger DE size edge rushers is to have better edge contain ability and also being able to move them inside, which we do with Gary, when ya couple that with better coverage ability with both ILB, why bother to drop a edge OLB/DE.

if we hadn't taken Quay last year then Smith imo becomes a better fit,

I like either of LVN or Murphy for us, big, brutish, that can play in or outside, perfect replacements for Perry Smith.

can't have enough pass rushers
Well that's the thing, right? Guys who are on-ball/off-ball hybrids have to be a little smaller to play in space.

But also, it's really not THAT undersized. We just have grown accustomed to the bigger end of the spectrum for edge rushers. That was exactly what Capers liked and wanted, but in the Vic Fangio tree, a lot of the successful edge rushers have been smaller faster guys.

Before coming to Green Bay, Joe Barry was coaching the LBs for Brandon Staley's top-ranked defense and the OLBs were Leonard Floyd )(who is tall but weighs in the 240s and has 33.125 inch arms) and Samson Ekuban (6'3" 245)
Staley coaches in LA now where they have a Bosa, but without Bosa in there, Kyle Van Noy, 6'3" 243 and 31.625 inch arms stepped in.

Fangio himself had Von Miller, who was 6'3" 245 with 33.5 inch arms, also

In Packers history, we had Clay Matthews was 6'3" 240 with 32.25 inch arms.

Nolan Smith is 6'2". He weighed 240 at his Pro Day. His arms are about 32.5 inches (an eighth more in one measure; an eighth less in another)

He'll be alright. He has a clear role in the NFL.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Didn’t we have a Perry Smith back in the 70s? Hahahaha

I think Yoop means Preston Smith, but maybe no.

;-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Looks like Young to Carolina is official. Draft now starts with the Texans. I’m actually really interested here because I think if they don’t go QB it shakes up the entire draft significantly.

To me if I’m them I think the best move is to go BPA and take Carter. He’s the only true dominant player in the class. Then you have pick 12 which you can get either the best edge or trade down and still get an edge with how deep this class is. Then in the early 2nd you can get Hooker or if you’re really groggy move up a bit for the 5th year option. This team isn’t going to compete this year. Hooker could rehab year one and learn the playbook while the team develops its defense and invests in the offense next season.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Apr 2023 16:18
Didn’t we have a Perry Smith back in the 70s? Hahahaha

I think Yoop means Preston Smith, but maybe no.

;-)
The 1976 Topps Perry Smith is extremely rare in MINT condition. As is a 1980 Larry McCarren, 1977 Ken Payne, 1982 Harlan Huckleby, 1982 John Jefferson, 1983 Paul Coffman, 1987 Gerry Ellis, 1987 Eddie Lee Ivery, 1988 Don Bracken and 1989 Chris Jacke.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The packers will be drafting Hendon hooker in the first round if he is available when they pick
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So how we feeling now?

Any goo short list of guys you like? Guys you hate?

Think I've come around to Kincaid just a little. I think he would have tested really well if he did, his athleticism kind of jumps off the tape to me. Still don't want him at 15, but I wouldn't rage. If you think of him as more as a WR, the pick kind of makes a little more sense.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
24 Apr 2023 11:57
So how we feeling now?

Think I've come around to Kincaid just a little. I think he would have tested really well if he did, his athleticism kind of jumps off the tape to me. Still don't want him at 15, but I wouldn't rage. If you think of him as more as a WR, the pick kind of makes a little more sense.
His receiving ability is so good, that to me is how he gets selected that high and used this season, and the blocking skill required at the position get phased in during the off season, when ya look at him as just a receiver his ability equals any in this receiver class except possibly NJigba (SP) I'd use slot 15 on him, put him in the slot and never look back, then I'd move up in round two for WAshington, Tight end position are intact for the entirety of Jorden Love Career.

I doubt this is what Guty will do though, if that KId Murphy drops to us then I think he takes him, Edge is a priority position and we do have the draft ammo to move up for Washington or Laporta, and Kincaid also had a back issue to worry about, but he is so explosive running a seam route.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Ideal scenario for me is to nab Jgba in 1, get at least one 2nd from NYJ and grab the best available guys at TE and EDGE in this insane draft class for those positions, then double-dip at TE and maybe EDGE in the mids.

If we have a third 2, I can dig Keannu Benton as one of the picks, or an OL like Mauch, Schmidtz, Avila. Getting as many of those 2s from NYJ as we can will go a long way in making this draft a success.

Much has been made about the weak S class, but I think that has lent itself to a number of interesting options existing in the mids that could very possibly push to see the field by Year 2: Skinner, Taylor II, Robinson, others.

'Always a good idea to get IOL in the mids, and there are some solid options: Zavala, Scruggs, Vorhees, etc.

'Plenty of nice prospects for what we need, I am hopeful we land a few guys who work out for us.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Offense - offense - offense!

I know that Guty will not spend more picks on offense. But I am hopeful that two of the three Thursday/Friday picks (assuming we get one from Jets and/or trade up) would be for offense. Edge and S are important. And so is DLine. But we really need to help our new QB, no matter how good he might play this year.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
So how we feeling now?

Hard for me to shortlist anyone this year. But for TE, I'd still go Mayer over Kincaid. Gives a more complete package (for a TE) and is also 2 years younger. I think I'd prefer Laporta and Washington over him as well. Hell, if we could get 2 of the 4, I'd be really happy.

Seems to be some smoke now on Laporta (going above Washington). He was flying under the radar a bit to lots of media.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Please do this

3 firsts, 2 2nds and Jefferson. Go get yourself Levis.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2023 13:27
BF004 wrote:
So how we feeling now?

Hard for me to shortlist anyone this year. But for TE, I'd still go Mayer over Kincaid. Gives a more complete package (for a TE) and is also 2 years younger. I think I'd prefer Laporta and Washington over him as well. Hell, if we could get 2 of the 4, I'd be really happy.

Seems to be some smoke now on Laporta (going above Washington). He was flying under the radar a bit to lots of media.
Don't want to forget Musgrave either. He's probably the guy with the most upside and chance to be Kelce type special.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’m not sure that comparing Kincaid to Mayer is an apple to apple thing. A guy like Kincaid is much more likely to be split out. And obviously, Mayer buys you a better blocking guy and move the chains guy. Maybe Mayer is also a better target in the EZ too.

But hey, Kincaid down the seam looks like he would be burning a lot of LBs and Safeties. Would be a joy to watch.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Now, with 13, 42, and 45 along with the other picks, and with depth in the TE and Edge positions, I am thinking that Guty might be more likely to move UP, unless he moves BACK!

;-)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Upated =)

https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator

Makes me very happy too, so much less likely we'll take a TE at 13 I feel like than 15.

Arctic Fox
Reactions:

Post by Arctic Fox »

Madcity_matt wrote:
21 Apr 2023 17:45
Arctic Fox wrote:
21 Apr 2023 16:50
Hello Packer fans. I'm new here and I think we should draft Van Ness in the first round. TE Mayer in the 2nd if he is still there.
welcome!
Thanks! :)

Arctic Fox
Reactions:

Post by Arctic Fox »

APB wrote:
21 Apr 2023 22:16
Arctic Fox wrote:
21 Apr 2023 16:50
Hello Packer fans. I'm new here and I think we should draft Van Ness in the first round. TE Mayer in the 2nd if he is still there.
Welcome to the forum!

Can’t say I’d hate those selections but my hope is we’d nab Murphy or Smith as an edge prospect before “settling” for Van Ness.
Thank You

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

13 and 45 could get us to 6.

13 and 42 maybe 5 with a little more.

Just saying. Could be Anderson, Wilson, Carter range.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
24 Apr 2023 14:45
Please do this

3 firsts, 2 2nds and Jefferson. Go get yourself Levis.
They are ready to move on from Cousins now? Again, like Rodgers, maybe it’s better a year too early than a year too late.
:-)