Packers signing Devin Funchess

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

It's really not all about having a WR with some speed, but this team is begging for someone at the TE position that doesn't run like they have tar on their shoes.

Jace and Tonyan need to be on the field more. I'm glad we haven't gone to a veteran signing this go around.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Jennings was the "fast guy" on our 2010 WR corps, yes? And he was fast, but not that fast. And that was the best Packers receiving corps I have ever seen.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

We just signed a jackrabbit type receiver...Tyler Ervin!!! Now we can draft the best WR on the board. Should be thinking as looking for Adams replacement so we have the stud and the future stud.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
27 Mar 2020 10:22
texas wrote:
27 Mar 2020 02:12
Alright guys, the verdict is in. My friend who knows everything about football said Funchess was way underrated in Carolina and is a great pickup for us.
I mean he was kind of right about Savage. His rookie was....meh. :lol:
:lol:

I mean, until like 2 years ago he was batting 1.000 pretty much on player predictions, which is why I listen to him in the first place. He's nailed most of the surprising playoff teams the past few years too. However, big swing and a miss on Trubisky!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:21
BF004 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:08

Everything I listed above? :idn:
The other thing you mentioned was separation. Am I missing others?

What is he lacking in tools that says to you he can't improve on those things? Personally I think he has the tools to be a decent #2. Obviously :lol:

As an aside, I also think the current talk of him to TE is very tone deaf (McGinn is still suggesting this). The guy lost weight and committed to the weight and conditioning program. Plus, the Packers said they are keeping him at WR. We in no way is a possible TE any longer.
Who says Adams is a #1 though? ;)
There is a thread over on FF in the General NFL forum about #1 WRs. The OP of that thread doesn't think very highly of Adams but most of the other guys who are fans of other teams think Adams is a legit #1 and possibly a top 5.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

NCF wrote:
26 Mar 2020 13:25
You can't just look at speed and make judgments. Quickness, agility, acceleration, etc. all go hand-in-hand in determining whether a guy is a good enough athlete or not. In Lazard's case, I do think he lacks a lot as an athlete, but I also still think he is adequate.
Yes, speed is great but a WR has to be able to get separation from DBs and run good routes. Jeff Janis as fast as hell but that was about all he had.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
28 Mar 2020 07:51
NCF wrote:
You can't just look at speed and make judgments. Quickness, agility, acceleration, etc. all go hand-in-hand in determining whether a guy is a good enough athlete or not. In Lazard's case, I do think he lacks a lot as an athlete, but I also still think he is adequate.
Yes, speed is great but a WR has to be able to get separation from DBs and run good routes. Jeff Janis as fast as hell but that was about all he had.
anyone with speed still around late, or after the draft will usually get a try out, some end up on a roster for a year or on a PS, I bet most don't last much longer then that.

the quality of the 010 receiver group lessons the need for anyone to have track speed, when more then 1 receiver demands over the top support it lessons the need for a blazer, the ability to get open can be had with better technical ability, imo thats the number one criteria for a WR, the ability to run crisp routes consistently imo trumps speed every day of the week.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pugger wrote:
28 Mar 2020 07:51
NCF wrote:
Actually Janis had quite a lot, IMO. He was big and strong and had decent YAC ability. The 1 thing he lacked was the hand-eye coordination to pluck the ball out of the air. It severely limited his catching radius and as a result Rodgers would not throw to him unless he had no other reasonable choice.

Regarding Fuchness, I would not be surprised if he makes the team as the 5th or 6th WR /4th TE. He should be able to play ST. But if he is going to get targets from AR, he had better reduce his drop percentage, particularly in practice.

And does anyone remember a certain receiver from a few years ago? He was 6'3" 205. Ran a 4.48 with a 38" vertical. Strong kid with a great attitude , and had back to back 1000 yard seasons in college in a major conference. But he dropped a few and Rodgers would not throw to him after that. J'Mon Moore.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Mar 2020 09:11
Actually Janis had quite a lot, IMO. He was big and strong and had decent YAC ability. The 1 thing he lacked was the hand-eye coordination to pluck the ball out of the air.

Just sayin'... :mrgreen:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Janis had it all except in between his ears.

Read More. Post Less.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Mar 2020 09:11
Regarding Fuchness, I would not be surprised if he makes the team as the 5th or 6th WR /4th TE. He should be able to play ST. But if he is going to get targets from AR, he had better reduce his drop percentage, particularly in practice.

And does anyone remember a certain receiver from a few years ago? He was 6'3" 205. Ran a 4.48 with a 38" vertical. Strong kid with a great attitude , and had back to back 1000 yard seasons in college in a major conference. But he dropped a few and Rodgers would not throw to him after that. J'Mon Moore.
If Funchess is our 5th or 6th WR, then we had a helluva WR draft.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I always thought the main problem with Janis was that they never gave him opportunities. What was actually wrong with his brain?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

texas wrote:
28 Mar 2020 15:33
I always thought the main problem with Janis was that they never gave him opportunities. What was actually wrong with his brain?
I believe the problem was that he had small hands

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

He's definitely on the team this year with that deal. a bit more than I would like, but no problem paying it if he lives up to it.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

texas wrote:
Rodgers hated Janis. No other explanation.

I really think if Dumbarious Randall didnt blow that coverage thinking it was zone when it was really man and turn Fitgerald loose Janis goes down in Packers lore forever. Instead he will be forgotten for catching essentially 2 hail marys on the same drive all because of that piece of &%$@ CB. Talk about effort Janis ran streaks about 3 plays in a row.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Mar 2020 16:50
texas wrote:
Rodgers hated Janis. No other explanation.

I really think if Dumbarious Randall didnt blow that coverage thinking it was zone when it was really man and turn Fitgerald loose Janis goes down in Packers lore forever. Instead he will be forgotten for catching essentially 2 hail marys on the same drive all because of that piece of &%$@ CB. Talk about effort Janis ran streaks about 3 plays in a row.
That was a legendary game by Janis.

Rodgers hating Janis does NOT explain why he got cut by the Browns, hasn't found a team since and is now running Janis Tire and Auto in Michigan. Not every team has Rodgers.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I LOVE a good comp pick, but this gets filed away in the "I don't give a rat's ass" file.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pugger wrote:
28 Mar 2020 07:40
TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:21

The other thing you mentioned was separation. Am I missing others?

What is he lacking in tools that says to you he can't improve on those things? Personally I think he has the tools to be a decent #2. Obviously :lol:

As an aside, I also think the current talk of him to TE is very tone deaf (McGinn is still suggesting this). The guy lost weight and committed to the weight and conditioning program. Plus, the Packers said they are keeping him at WR. We in no way is a possible TE any longer.
Who says Adams is a #1 though? ;)
There is a thread over on FF in the General NFL forum about #1 WRs. The OP of that thread doesn't think very highly of Adams but most of the other guys who are fans of other teams think Adams is a legit #1 and possibly a top 5.
Definitely.

It was a silly argument here for a long time too. Adams is obviously a #1. :mrgreen:
RIP JustJeff