2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Apr 2023 17:33
Will Levi’s could be trolling but he has told friends and family he’s the first pick.
He’s gunna Will himself to the first pick.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Touchdown in KC tomorrow at 10 am. Love the set up this year at union station and part of the WW1 property.

Y'all have a great draft week and GPG

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So looking back at trade backs

If we want a 1 and 2, that would take us back to Jacksonville at 24, and we'd also get 56.

If we want a 1 and a 3, that would be probably Detroit at 18 and get 81

Trading up

13 & 78 Could maybe get us to 9, probably not with Chicago, lot of high picks and division.

13 & 45 to 6 with Detroit, again, division with high picks.

13 & 42 to 5 with Seattle.

13 & 42 & 45 no really reason to do this, but pick 3.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
26 Apr 2023 06:51
The more I think about all this, the more it seems like it's OT or trade back with #13. They've done a ton of work on TE's and EDGE's that can be found later on in the 1st or 2nd round. It could be WR, but I'm not feeling that either. Unless they really fell in love with someone else.

Or we are going all in on Levis. :munch:
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

any of those 4 edges, any of the top 4 OL, Njikba, KIncaid, I like 3 or 4 CB's, Early for a RB, but he is production acceptable at slot 13, I feel all of these players qualify, but I'am sold on Kincaid, I'd probably never even attempt to turn him into a inline TE for several years, rather, just draft the most agile OL man in round 5 and turn him into a inline TE.

I know, don't quit my day job :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Again, smart strategy to save your 1st for positions that are scarce, use your 2nd for the deep positions ("Value in 2"). The deep positions in this draft are EDGE and TE, while WR is very shallow and T is kind of meh. Accordingly, target JSN or the top OTs at 13, TE/EDGE in 2.

Then again, there's something to be said about coming away from a draft that's historically deep at a given position with one of the cream-of-the-crop at said position. There will be really good EDGE guys at our 2nd and 3rd, but Nolan Smith will be That Dude. I rather have That Dude.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Only added 2 GA defenders.

image.png
image.png (92.29 KiB) Viewed 832 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

that's awesome

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
26 Apr 2023 12:38
that's awesome
Should have sourced it, not positive he created it, but from Marques Eversoll @MarquesEversoll

Local radio guy, I enjoy listening to him.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm so excited about this draft in particular. I've been more into studying players this year than I have been in quite a while.

But also because it is the most unknown draft I can recall. The draft class will be VERY eye of the beholder. There will be weird picks. We're going to get so many "WHO?!?" picks, then check the draft guides, and fall in love or hate with names we had barely known a couple days before. We're going to be stoked/angry when our favorites get/don't get picked while available at our slot.

I still remember that I swore on draft night that Royce Newman would always be gauged to me as "not Kenny Gainwell." Little things like that.

It's rare when MY GUY, like my very favorite "must get" player in a draft comes to our team. It happened with Cobb in 2011 and Watson last year. Jaire was close, but it's not like I started a whole thread just about him like I did the others.

So I'm ready for disappointment.

And it's rare, but also not unheard of, that my "please don't draft" guy gets picked. Wyatt was that guy last year (purely for the domestic incident that I fear is often indicative of broader issues, and his age; nothing about the play). What a range of emotions I had within those picks!

Kincaid is that guy for me this year. SO I'm ready for disappointment.

(also if we pick Kincaid let's all remember that I said his upside is a bigger Cooper Kupp style player and that his possible outcome is Lazard with better catch point skills, so I'm not crushing the guy. I just don't don't want to be the one to use those resources on that risk)

Anyway, 30 more hours. CAN'T WAIT

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:14
I'm so excited about this draft in particular. I've been more into studying players this year than I have been in quite a while.

But also because it is the most unknown draft I can recall. The draft class will be VERY eye of the beholder. There will be weird picks. We're going to get so many "WHO?!?" picks, then check the draft guides, and fall in love or hate with names we had barely known a couple days before. We're going to be stoked/angry when our favorites get/don't get picked while available at our slot.

I still remember that I swore on draft night that Royce Newman would always be gauged to me as "not Kenny Gainwell." Little things like that.

It's rare when MY GUY, like my very favorite "must get" player in a draft comes to our team. It happened with Cobb in 2011 and Watson last year. Jaire was close, but it's not like I started a whole thread just about him like I did the others.

So I'm ready for disappointment.

And it's rare, but also not unheard of, that my "please don't draft" guy gets picked. Wyatt was that guy last year (purely for the domestic incident that I fear is often indicative of broader issues, and his age; nothing about the play). What a range of emotions I had within those picks!

Kincaid is that guy for me this year. SO I'm ready for disappointment.

(also if we pick Kincaid let's all remember that I said his upside is a bigger Cooper Kupp style player and that his possible outcome is Lazard with better catch point skills, so I'm not crushing the guy. I just don't don't want to be the one to use those resources on that risk)

Anyway, 30 more hours. CAN'T WAIT
you should check out Collinsworth's mock. Definitely has some surprises in the 1st round compared to common thinking.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:21
you should check out Collinsworth's mock. Definitely has some surprises in the 1st round compared to common thinking.
Honestly that's not even that weird. I mean, Wypler in the first is pretty much the only shock name. Some guys going 10-15 slots different from the norm isn't that different.

Recall that in Gutey's 5 drafts and 6 1st round picks, he has on 3 times drafted someone 25+ slots higher than the Athletic Consensus Big Board.

If that's your idea of challenging ideas, I think Thursday night is going to be a shockwave.
:banana: :munch:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:35
paco wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:21
Honestly that's not even that weird. I mean, Wypler in the first is pretty much the only shock name. Some guys going 10-15 slots different from the norm isn't that different.

Recall that in Gutey's 5 drafts and 6 1st round picks, he has on 3 times drafted someone 25+ slots higher than the Athletic Consensus Big Board.

If that's your idea of challenging ideas, I think Thursday night is going to be a shockwave.
:banana: :munch:
Most people are having a tizzy about Hooker to the Chiefs. Wypler stuck out, as did Stevenson and Anthony Johnson. But I know both have been rising up draft boards. I just hadn't seen anyone put them in the 1st yet. I have both firmly on my list as Packers candidates.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:38
Most people are having a tizzy about Hooker to the Chiefs. Wypler stuck out, as did Stevenson and Anthony Johnson. But I know both have been rising up draft boards. I just hadn't seen anyone put them in the 1st yet. I have both firmly on my list as Packers candidates.
Haha, I looked at the names more than team fits; didn't even occur to me that hooker went to the Chiefs. Apologies, that qualifies as an earthquake.

I also misread Anthony Johnson as Antonio Johnson from A&M. I like Anthony better, but you're right, much later. So I take it back. I rushed my response. I responded incorrectly.

I'm FASCINATED to know if, when the Packers hosted Stevenson for a visit, they were discussing him as a safety. He's been my prime safety conversion candidate all along, but his Senior Bowl performance at CB quieted a lot of talk about conversion. But if you look at the Packers visits, they hosted a handful of safeties and no CBs other than Stevenson.

Still not too enthused about him before the 3rd, but I could see it.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:41
paco wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:38
Haha, I looked at the names more than team fits; didn't even occur to me that hooker went to the Chiefs. Apologies, that qualifies as an earthquake.

I also misread Anthony Johnson as Antonio Johnson from A&M. I like Anthony better, but you're right, much later. So I take it back. I rushed my response. I responded incorrectly.

I'm FASCINATED to know if, when the Packers hosted Stevenson for a visit, they were discussing him as a safety. He's been my prime safety conversion candidate all along, but his Senior Bowl performance at CB quieted a lot of talk about conversion. But if you look at the Packers visits, they hosted a handful of safeties and no CBs other than Stevenson.

Still not too enthused about him before the 3rd, but I could see it.
No worries! I've done so little looking at things, I'm franticly trying to catch up.

Looks like Stevenson visited on April 7th per Rapoport. I'm curious too. Because I still expect us to draft at least one of each, safety and CB.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Hendon Hooker will definetly go in the first round
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur