2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:48
Hendon Hooker will definetly go in the first round
I'm leaning that way as well. But Chiefs just don't make a ton of sense.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:50
Drj820 wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:48
Hendon Hooker will definetly go in the first round
I'm leaning that way as well. But Chiefs just don't make a ton of sense.
i agree with that, unless they just want to develop him for 2 years, hype him way up, and then trade.

But ya, I agree
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

unless my aging eyes deceive me, collinsworth has 2 WR going in the first round and neither are JSN?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2023 14:14
I'm so excited about this draft in particular. I've been more into studying players this year than I have been in quite a while.

But also because it is the most unknown draft I can recall. The draft class will be VERY eye of the beholder. There will be weird picks. We're going to get so many "WHO?!?" picks, then check the draft guides, and fall in love or hate with names we had barely known a couple days before. We're going to be stoked/angry when our favorites get/don't get picked while available at our slot.

I still remember that I swore on draft night that Royce Newman would always be gauged to me as "not Kenny Gainwell." Little things like that.

It's rare when MY GUY, like my very favorite "must get" player in a draft comes to our team. It happened with Cobb in 2011 and Watson last year. Jaire was close, but it's not like I started a whole thread just about him like I did the others.

So I'm ready for disappointment.

And it's rare, but also not unheard of, that my "please don't draft" guy gets picked. Wyatt was that guy last year (purely for the domestic incident that I fear is often indicative of broader issues, and his age; nothing about the play). What a range of emotions I had within those picks!

Kincaid is that guy for me this year. SO I'm ready for disappointment.

(also if we pick Kincaid let's all remember that I said his upside is a bigger Cooper Kupp style player and that his possible outcome is Lazard with better catch point skills, so I'm not crushing the guy. I just don't don't want to be the one to use those resources on that risk)

Anyway, 30 more hours. CAN'T WAIT
me too, this draft can produce some ready starting talent, I have my doubts about KIncaid, I think he'd be a huge addition to this offense, but as you said he's Lazard only better and more ready, but I think Guty will focus on replacing Lewis when it comes to TE, so I think he'd favor Washington, I just love the guy because I'am convinced he would demand double coverage a lot, and that alone would help our other receivers.

at slot 13 there are ready to play OL and edge rushers and I tend to think Guty would prefer going in that direction..
actually I think I'am more excited for our 2nd and 3rd round lots of talent in the first 100 slots.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
26 Apr 2023 15:10
at slot 13 there are ready to play OL and edge rushers and I tend to think Guty would prefer going in that direction..
actually I think I'am more excited for our 2nd and 3rd round lots of talent in the first 100 slots.
Honestly at slots 42 and 45 there are also ready-to-play OL and edge rushers. Matthew Bergeron is ready to play. Steve Avila is ready to play, though not ideal for us. BJ Ojulari is very ready to play--maybe the best pass rusher in the draft in terms of actually having a plan and a repertoire of moves he can employ from the jump--he's just not QUITE the elite physically gifted athlete as some of the others, so he slips. Felix whatever might be available there, and is ready. Who knows about Fosky.

Like you said, a lot of value on Day Two this year.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Be pretty funny, particularly for the Jags, if Houston, Indy and Tennessee all get QB's. None of them being the best QB in the class.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

How does NFL Network have the Kentucky Pro Day on for an hour right now.

Should be nothing but people reporting every rumor they hear real time.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Revisiting Foskey, and others, Ian Cummings (Pro Football Network) posts this:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Madcity_matt wrote:
26 Apr 2023 15:07
unless my aging eyes deceive me, collinsworth has 2 WR going in the first round and neither are JSN?
Didn't even notice that one. I've heard that league opinions on the WRs are all over the place. But that would be the 1st I've seen that don't think he's a 1st rounder.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/j ... 0610720624

Super cool podcast.

Particularly if you listen right around like 30:45. :lol:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Oh, I had fun with this mock draft. I ended up trading back like three times. Got QB Ryan Tannehill (as a backup) in the process. But lots of weapons for the offense.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

24 - Dalton Kincaid, TE Utah
48 - Jack Campbell, LB Iowa
72 - Sam LaPorta, TE Iowa
78 - Tarique Stevenson, CB Miami (Fl)
86 - Tyler Scott, WR Cincinnati
93 - Zacch Pickens, DT South Carolina
118 - Jonathan Mingo, WR Ole Miss
132 - Ronnie Hickman, S Ohio State
193 - Juice Scruggs, C Penn State
207 - Noah Ruggles, K Ohio State
232 - Tyson Bagent, QB Shepherd
235 - Chris Rodriguez Jr, RB Kentucky
242 - Josh Whyle, TE Cincinnati
And QB Ryan Tannehill from the Titans.

This included giving up a 4th in 2024. All other capital from this year. So,
1. Two TEs high that can both catch, one that can already block.
2. A LB who can split reps this year and possibly replace Campbell next year. He can also split reps with Walker if Walker gets some snaps at Edge.
3. An explosive CB who has size and can get some work at Safety.
4. Two more WRs! One is more speed, the other a great chain-mover.
5. A Safety with lots of potential.
6. A possible new starter at C.
7. A replacement for Mason Crosby.
8. More bodies for ST.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Anyone have a good site that shows the sortable RAS for all draftees?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I submitted a question to the Journey to the Draft podcast.

Listened to Greg Cosell and Dane Brugler respond to my sentiment that Marvin Mims is better than Jalin Hyatt (while similar players) and that Yasir Abdullah is better than Nate Herbig (while similarish players).

Dane had Hyatt as WR3 and Mims as WR 9 and Herbig as LB 5 and Abdullah as LB10.

Both statements led to decent conversations about how similar those players are and how fair it is to assume one is better than the other among draft experts. Brugler actually struggled to answer the Abdullah and Herbig thing a little bit. Honestly a really cool experience.

Then the host (who also crushes film and is great) Fran Duffy took on my final statement that Kincaid is a big WR and not a TE; he said I was underselling Kincaid's blocking a little. Wish I could respond that WRs block, too. But oh well, win some, lose some.

Anyway, highly recommend the podcast. And further, if you leave a review/comment/question on their apple page, Duffy always answers it. You can then change your review for a new question. This episode was a special one where the guests (Brugler and Cosell) also respond to the user comments, so I made sure to get some picks in.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Daniel Jeremiah has Kinkaid to the Packers at 13. He hit Quay last year.

Am I really going to double up on TE in the 1st and 2nd in my mock? I might. Kincaid and Washington would be an alluring combo for Love.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think there’s a 0% chance we take Kincaid at 13. I think we brought in so many TEs for visits is because we are gonna just take whichever one falls in round 2.

I think we take the best edge that falls in round 1, we move up for Hyatt in round 2 and take whichever TE drops in round 2.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I did a sim mock taking JSN in 1 and then Kincaid and Washington in back-to-back 2nd round picks. Man that would be a fun offense! ^^
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Apr 2023 20:23
I think there’s a 0% chance we take Kincaid at 13. I think we brought in so many TEs for visits is because we are gonna just take whichever one falls in round 2.

I think we take the best edge that falls in round 1, we move up for Hyatt in round 2 and take whichever TE drops in round 2.
I tend to agree, but a few smart people have started to make me doubt (and you know, history). I've been leaning OT in the first, just because EDGE and TE are deeper. Makes sense to get them later. But I'm also not 100% sold on us having to take OT early. Tom/Nijman very well could be the future in the Packers eyes. Not sure I'd be any more sure if I had done more work this year.

I think my preference is to just trade back from 13. But I'm probably not doing that in my mock, because I think the Packers really like someone they think they can grab there.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
26 Apr 2023 20:32
lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Apr 2023 20:23

I tend to agree, but a few smart people have started to make me doubt (and you know, history). I've been leaning OT in the first, just because EDGE and TE are deeper. Makes sense to get them later. But I'm also not 100% sold on us having to take OT early. Tom/Nijman very well could be the future in the Packers eyes. Not sure I'd be any more sure if I had done more work this year.

I think my preference is to just trade back from 13. But I'm probably not doing that in my mock, because I think the Packers really like someone they think they can grab there.
I can see a possible trade back but in a class with so few good players I would be surprised if we didn’t just get one of the few blue chip players in this class. Considering like 4 QBs go before us we can land one of the top 9 non QBs in the class and that’s assuming one of these perpetual idiots team doesn’t do something stupid.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Whenever someone doesn’t just give Kincaid to GB, he always falls till like 21-26.

Such a lazy default pick by ‘analysts’

I won’t love the Kincaid pick, but would depend how we use him and what kind of production we could get from him.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
26 Apr 2023 21:04
Whenever someone doesn’t just give Kincaid to GB, he always falls till like 21-26.

Such a lazy default pick by ‘analysts’

I won’t love the Kincaid pick, but would depend how we use him and what kind of production we could get from him.
Old. Not an elite athlete. Blocks poorly for a TE. Coming off a back injury. So much going against Kincaid going in the top half of the draft. It would almost be as stupid as taking the 2nd best player at their position on a Georgia defense.