2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
27 Apr 2023 11:07

Matt has a history of actually getting a few of these right.
I would love a trade back to 19.

It would be bittersweet to see it go for a player I would love to select.

Hope this works out.

Speaking of Matt, he’s doing Day Three on ESPN because they apparently realized that people watching Day three are hardcore Draft fans who want insight on all the players rather than the regular talking heads doing big picture recaps from days one and two, according to him on why they asked him.

Do NFL Network Thursday and Friday. ESPN Saturday.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Apr 2023 11:15
BF004 wrote:

Hope this works out.

Speaking of Matt, he’s doing Day Three on ESPN because they apparently realized that people watching Day three are hardcore Draft fans who want insight on all the players rather than the regular talking heads doing big picture recaps from days one and two, according to him on why they asked him.

That being said, seems kind of weird for TB, they have a lot of holes and are rebuilding. They dont really have an immediate need at edge with Barrett and just spending a first on Joe Tryon. Probably is a longer team need either way.

Pretty much spot on simple trade value.

image.png
image.png (38.3 KiB) Viewed 1893 times

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
27 Apr 2023 11:40
YoHoChecko wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Hope this works out.

That being said, seems kind of weird for TB, they have a lot of holes and are rebuilding. They dont really have an immediate need at edge with Barrett and just spending a first on Joe Tryon. Probably is a longer team need either way.

image.png
no way I ever drop 6 slots from 13 to 19 for 54 draft points or slot 84, anyone that wants to jump up like that should expect to pay more then just equal draft value points, there are talent value lines in round one, slot 13 has a lot better chance to gain a blue chipper then slot 19 :idn:

I want that 2nd round pick for that deal
Last edited by Yoop on 27 Apr 2023 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I am thinking 1) a deep draft class at two positions of need and 2) the 13th pick = Guty trading back once and maybe even twice and still landing at least one elite guy on his board.

Color me entirely shocked if he doesn’t trade back.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Apr 2023 11:48
BF004 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Hope this works out.

no way I ever drop 6 slots from 13 to 19 for 54 draft points or slot 84, anyone that wants to jump up like that should expect to pay more then just equal draft value points, there are talent value lines in round one, slot 13 has a lot better chance to gain a blue chipper then slot 19 :idn:

Well that draft value is statistically fit off of actual draft trades from like the last 20 years. So of course you always want more. But that is simply the price pretty much the league has declared it to be in recent decades from their actions.

And actually, this is closer in value and probably a better fit for both teams. We don't need more picks, just more premium, Bucs probably don't want to give up extra picks to help fill all their holes.

image.png
image.png (42.56 KiB) Viewed 1880 times

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Hope this works out.

image.png

I actually completely agree with this. Big difference, though, if you are talking about wanting to trade up versus wanting to trade down. In that scenario, I’m picking at 13.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
27 Apr 2023 11:57
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

image.png

I actually completely agree with this. Big difference, though, if you are talking about wanting to trade up versus wanting to trade down. In that scenario, I’m picking at 13.
Well at the same time, we aren't going to trade down because TB is offering fair value. WE are only going to trade down if we want to, or if some teams just simply over offers and its just better value.

So yeah, if we want a guy at 13, we'll take him. If we don't like that value, might make more sense to take a fair offer to move back.

I don't know, just the messenger on what the league has agreed is fair value for swapping 13 and 19.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
27 Apr 2023 11:57
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

image.png

in this class one of either the top 2 OL will be there, top 4 edge rushers, one of about 4 quality receiving prospects, and 2 or 3 of the best CB's, so depending on Guty's preferred positional pick ( and we should all realize that he has one) might not be there at slot 19 and probably will be at 13.

I get that everyone wants more picks in the top 100, but the odds of success greatly decline the higher the pick as we know

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I just don't think you purposely obtain the 13th pick only to trade back. The only way you do that is if literally everyone on your board is gone and you 100% know you can get the guy you want later.

And you rarely get to pick this high, make it count.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I feel that if JSN is on the board and we don't pick him, people will lose their &%$@. I would say this draft is very, in the eye of the beholder, so I wouldn't be broken up over it. I will hate the narrative if we pick someone like Branch or Harrison and people deriding it because it wasn't a consensus Draftnik top 15... It just just takes away from the pick and this draft more than others is very up in the air.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Either way, I promise to do my part and let you all know what the pick is before it's announced on TV.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

there are not many players in the draft that have true first round grades. This is why it was good we got to 13. We wouldnt be getting a great player at 15 most likely, but at 13 we have a chance.

We need to hope for a run on QBs early. I dont think that will happen, but thats what we need to hope for. Lots of Qbs taken and Bijon going top 12 would be best for the Packers.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Acrobat wrote:
27 Apr 2023 12:49
I just don't think you purposely obtain the 13th pick only to trade back. The only way you do that is if literally everyone on your board is gone and you 100% know you can get the guy you want later.

Good point. If there is a premium player still available, we should take them.

If there is not a premium player still available, we may have trouble trading the pick for good value anyways.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Acrobat wrote:
27 Apr 2023 12:49

Agree, and I like the strategy, if you just have a small group you like, 6-8 guys you really want, do what you can to get closer, make a move, or hope one falls. But if not, then absolutely recoup that extra value if trading back.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Well if not many teams are interested in moving down, then not many teams are gonna be able to move up, however interested they may be. That's kinda how it works.

As for Green Bay's interest in moving up, I'm thinking they probably have a shortlist of guys they really want, and if/when we are down to fewer guys than picks ahead of them, they will try to move up.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Who would say no?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Labrev wrote:
07 Apr 2023 18:15
(1a) LVN - EDGE, Iowa
---
(2a) S. LaPorta - TE, Iowa
(2b) K. Benton - DL, WI
(2c) Antonio Johnson - S, TX
(3a) C. Zavala - IOL, NC St
(3b) T. Kraft - TE, SDSU
---
(4) Anthony Johnson - S, Iowa State (to maximize confusion)
(5) some EDGE who I forgot lol, prolific small school guy
(5) Brodric Martin - DL, West. KY
Bump!

One of my mock draft scenarios taking Van Ness with our 1, as a blueprint for how to attack Rounds 2-5.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
26 Apr 2023 12:11
So this flow chart is crazier than we thought. Didn't take JSN, but here are the guys on the flow chart:
Van Ness
Musgrave
Kraft
Clifford
Kicker?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Random thought. It's amazing how some of our draft crushes end up not turning in anything. Just read a blurb that Patrick Queen is not getting his 5th year option. So many of us really wanted him.