Round 1 Pick 13 - Lukas Van Ness

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Mike Wahle leans hard on the Kampman -comparison, and thinks Van Ness too raw for a 1st round grade. :idn:

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Willink wrote:
28 Apr 2023 01:17
APB wrote:
27 Apr 2023 23:12
All the scouting reports credit him for playing with great power and strength but his bench reps were pretty bad. How does that jive? Is the dude just not technically good with lifting a heavy bar?
You can train pretty easily to improve your bench, especially at that high a weight and he's only 21.

I am 6' 180 lbs and not a professional athlete and can out-rep him.

Above 15 reps there is very little relationship to strength.

If you want to do lots and lots of pullups you don't get there by training weighted pullups.

The 225 test is by and large a measure of weight room dedication.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2023 22:38
Waldo wrote:
27 Apr 2023 22:35
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2023 21:21

Nah, the guy has speed Kampman could only dream of.
Huh? That's the reason GB took a flier on Kamp, his freaky good speed for his size.

Remember Kamp was a DT coming out of college and was super fat. It took a few years to slim down to DE/OLB size (he lost like 20 lbs).

His game was based off the bull rush and was about the same size at his peak in the pros. Colleges tend to produce very similar players over the years.
Kampman ran the 40 .4 seconds slower than Van Ness at 13 pounds heavier. He never got close to what Lukas is at which is faster than Matthews in the 40.
Kamps pro day he ran the 40 in 4.74 @ 290 lbs.

I forget the circumstances but hardly any teams were there for it, GB just happened to be one of them.

In the early 2000's that was a crazy time.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Waldo wrote:
28 Apr 2023 07:37
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2023 22:38
Waldo wrote:
27 Apr 2023 22:35

Huh? That's the reason GB took a flier on Kamp, his freaky good speed for his size.

Remember Kamp was a DT coming out of college and was super fat. It took a few years to slim down to DE/OLB size (he lost like 20 lbs).

His game was based off the bull rush and was about the same size at his peak in the pros. Colleges tend to produce very similar players over the years.
Kampman ran the 40 .4 seconds slower than Van Ness at 13 pounds heavier. He never got close to what Lukas is at which is faster than Matthews in the 40.
Kamps pro day he ran the 40 in 4.74 @ 290 lbs.

I forget the circumstances but hardly any teams were there for it, GB just happened to be one of them.

In the early 2000's that was a crazy time.
4.87 at the Combine. Compared to Van Ness' 4.58 at the continue. So .3 not the .4 I said earlier.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2023 21:06
Let's make the real comparison to Rashan Gary. This isn't Kampman or Matthews.
But those guys are white and so is VanEss.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Apr 2023 06:15
Mike Wahle leans hard on the Kampman -comparison, and thinks Van Ness too raw for a 1st round grade. :idn:

I agree with Wahle, but that could be said of plenty of edge rushers that go off in the teens in every draft, Gary was raw to, thing is GM's take them because of high ceiling and the simple fact that if ya can't pressure the QB your toast :idn:

plenty of us, me included, felt LVN might be the pick, I would have done something else, but no use crying about it.

waiting to see what Guty does tonight.

Detroit got a F for both of there picks :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
28 Apr 2023 08:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
why encourage stupid comments like that? whomever used race to define these players should know that stuff has no place here.

who even compared LVN to Mathews, he is nothing like Mathews, who really was a HOF type player, he's got 80 plus sacks, and probably over 500 pressures, both Gary and LVN have some tall shoes to fill to equal that, plus Mathews had off ball skills

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
28 Apr 2023 08:20
Acrobat wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
why encourage stupid comments like that? whomever used race to define these players should know that stuff has no place here.

who even compared LVN to Mathews, he is nothing like Mathews, who really was a HOF type player, he's got 80 plus sacks, and probably over 500 pressures, both Gary and LVN have some tall shoes to fill to equal that, plus Mathews had off ball skills
yoop. If you're going to reply to my comment like that, please make sure to turn your sarcasm meter on first.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Acrobat wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
He actually reminds me more of Jared Allen, Brett Kiesel, and Wes Welker.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Labrev wrote:
28 Apr 2023 08:29
Acrobat wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
He actually reminds me more of Jared Allen, Brett Kiesel, and Wes Welker.
And Jordy Nelson, who's deceptively fast. That was always my favorite comment!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Waldo wrote:
28 Apr 2023 07:31

Not true. The accuracy of prediction equations for 1RM goes down as you increase reps (lower % 1RM), but to say there is "very little" relationship is not true. There is even a 0.8 correlation between grip strength and squat strength. If a person is strong, they tend to be strong all over. If they are weak, they tend to be weak all over. His bench number is atrocious and his vertical jump is not very good either (although VJ is technically a measure of relative power, strength is a huge part of power). His long arms are definitely a hindrance there, and if he had even 1" shorter arms I bet he adds 3-5 reps on his bench. And his long arms surely help with his "explosive punch" you hear so much about in draft reports. I would be interested to see what his bench technique looks like and also what his 1RM would be if he didn't need to get the last 10 degrees of elbow extension to lock out (this kind of would negate the long arms). He is only 21 and still has at least 3 years of physical maturing yet to do (we said the same thing about Kenny when he was drafted). I don't think they see the fruits of this pick until 2025.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Can't wait to hear, 'Lukas Van Ness, Iowa'

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
28 Apr 2023 09:02
Waldo wrote:

Not true. The accuracy of prediction equations for 1RM goes down as you increase reps (lower % 1RM), but to say there is "very little" relationship is not true. There is even a 0.8 correlation between grip strength and squat strength. If a person is strong, they tend to be strong all over. If they are weak, they tend to be weak all over. His bench number is atrocious and his vertical jump is not very good either (although VJ is technically a measure of relative power, strength is a huge part of power). His long arms are definitely a hindrance there, and if he had even 1" shorter arms I bet he adds 3-5 reps on his bench. And his long arms surely help with his "explosive punch" you hear so much about in draft reports. I would be interested to see what his bench technique looks like and also what his 1RM would be if he didn't need to get the last 10 degrees of elbow extension to lock out (this kind of would negate the long arms). He is only 21 and still has at least 3 years of physical maturing yet to do (we said the same thing about Kenny when he was drafted). I don't think they see the fruits of this pick until 2025.
thats my fear, and that we'll have to try and extend Perry Smith because LVN wont be ready for a starting roll

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

wallyuwl wrote:
28 Apr 2023 09:02
Waldo wrote:

Vert and broad typically have a pretty close relationship (for obvious reasons), his broad, while not great, is a whole lot better. There are a subset of guys out there (some white guys and LSU players circa 15 years ago) that just can't jump vertically, but whose 10 split and relative performance in the league tracks closer to the broad jump.

I didn't know LVN was 21. Young guys tend to test like crap on the strength measures.
Last edited by Waldo on 28 Apr 2023 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
28 Apr 2023 09:06
Can't wait to hear, 'Lukas Van Ness, Iowa'

Hi I'am Lukas Van Ness, and I pick corn when I'am not trying to get to the QB :rotf:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Will be really interesting to watch the side by side of Van Ness and McDonald in NY.

Pretty much a straight up gauge on how that 13 for 15 swap pans out.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Van Ness HOF career confirmed.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Possible nickname: The Flying Dutchman... :?:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
28 Apr 2023 09:42
Will be really interesting to watch the side by side of Van Ness and McDonald in NY.

Pretty much a straight up gauge on how that 13 for 15 swap pans out.
I think both where a reach, however reaching for pass rushers is normal.

ya know why I liked Anderson Jr. from over a month ago, not only is he plug and play on the field ready, he's also ready to command attention in the locker room and is a team first player, he brings to the table a attitude coaches love, Carter dropped because he doesn't, just my opinion, Anderson reminds me of Clay Mathews when I became adored with him, and Gil Brandt spoke highly of both, I expected he would be picked top 5 depending on need for QB's or as he did top 3.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Just listened to Gute's presser. He was asked if he sees LVN as a similar player to Gary. He said they're similar athletes, both being long and powerful edge guys, but said they are different body types and different players.

:lol: you cats were all like, "uhh, hello?!? The *correct* comp for Van Ness is Gary... IDIOTS! Look at muh chart!" :rotf:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto