Round 1 Pick 13 - Lukas Van Ness

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Some physical strengths go back to childhood and the teenage years. Vertical jump is one of those and is the result of playing basketball as a child and in high school. Van Ness was a hockey player and vertical jump is not useful in hockey.

As others have said, long arms and bench reps are not compatible. I will take the long arms any day.

I don't think the comparisons with Gary are valid either. Gary always could rush the passer, even as a rookie. What he could not do is to ace the Wonderlic test or know early in his career whether the play would be a pass or a run. Van Ness has a 20. 19 is average for a NFL safety or linebacker. Gary had a 9 which is pretty bad.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
28 Apr 2023 11:07
'Just listened to Gute's presser. He was asked if he sees LVN as a similar player to Gary. He said they're similar athletes, both being long and powerful edge guys, but said they are different body types and different players.

:lol: you cats were all like, "uhh, hello?!? The *correct* comp for Van Ness is Gary... IDIOTS! Look at muh chart!" :rotf:
no, I agreed that minus the better speed he is more like Kampman, really comparing players to players isn't something I tend to do other then simply positions there assigned to play, lets put it this way, he aint a OLB.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I know their combine numbers aren’t very similar but the player who Van Ness reminds me of with his style of play: Nick Perry.

They both just project a very brutish and powerful game, almost punishing.

Perry, unfortunately, didn’t have the motor to play that way consistently enough. Hopefully Van Ness does.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Captain_Ben wrote:
28 Apr 2023 09:59
Possible nickname: The Flying Dutchman... :?:
Dutch Oven would work too!

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Captain_Ben wrote:
“There are only two things I can’t stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures, and the Dutch.”
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
28 Apr 2023 13:00
Captain_Ben wrote:
“There are only two things I can’t stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures, and the Dutch.”
are you from or do you live in Depere :rotf:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
28 Apr 2023 11:07
'Just listened to Gute's presser. He was asked if he sees LVN as a similar player to Gary. He said they're similar athletes, both being long and powerful edge guys, but said they are different body types and different players.

:lol: you cats were all like, "uhh, hello?!? The *correct* comp for Van Ness is Gary... IDIOTS! Look at muh chart!" :rotf:
Who said that? I was arguing there were similarities there, but they were in fact not comparable.

I just thought TJ Watt and Clay Watthews were incredibly smooth brained comparisons.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
28 Apr 2023 13:23
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
Nope, I'm up on da edge of da nortwoods. I just can't stand dose freaky-deeky Dutch.

(Huh, apparently there's some disagreement on where exactly The Northwoods starts.)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
28 Apr 2023 13:45
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Nope, I'm up on da edge of da nortwoods. I just can't stand dose freaky-deeky Dutch.

(Huh, apparently there's some disagreement on where exactly The Northwoods starts.)
As we saw with Van Ness, his Up Nort is Lake Geneva...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
28 Apr 2023 13:45
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

haha, to me up North is any place north of Chicago city limits :lol: My father is Danish/German decent and was born and raised in De Pere Wi. hense my reference, and I'am not to sure about those graphics now, years ago De Pere had a lot of Danish heritage

as your JSonline story says, up north is a wide ranging description, for you and I it seems north of GB apply's more to us.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

LOL, pretty sure "up north" is completely dependent on where you are when you aren't there. I have a place in Rome, which is in Central Wisconsin but north from Madison. Up north I have friends that live there full time, but have places in Minocqua etc, which is there up North, and my "way up north there."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

My definition was north of highway 64. Note that this makes Green Bay in the south. Home was the highway 29 area. Madison was deep south.

But as an adult I lived in Cedar Rapids Iowa so I was a Hawkeye fan for many years. Which is another reason I love the pick of Van Ness. My nephew was briefly on the Iowa football team as a walk on center

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly this pick makes me happy because it feels like a return to normalcy after last year.

What I mean by that is that the Packers tend to prefer young, elite athletes at premium positions (of some need)

And drafting an off ball LB (not premium) and an older player (Wyatt) struck out from those parameters.

But now we’re back to doing something fairly predictable and it just feels like something is back in alignment

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Apr 2023 15:58
Labrev wrote:
28 Apr 2023 10:37
Yoop wrote:
28 Apr 2023 10:10
and if Ness takes as long to get on the field as Gary did it becomes unconscionable, that would be two very high picks on developmental prospects, no sale for me.
Barring injury or some other developmental setback, LVN will see the field early and often. I doubt Gary is ready to start the season, may need a few weeks, and then will need some time to readjust even when he's back on the field (we saw how Jenkins looked in his first few games off the same injury).

I am pretty sure LVN is a better pass-rusher than Enagbare right now and a better run-defender than Hollins right now. So it's really only Preston Smith who's clearly in front of him this year.
LVN will probably start on opening day. The only reason it took Gary 2 years to become productive is that he is intellectually challenged and LVN has no such issue.
It sorta sounds to me like the team sees him as an immediate interior sub package rusher with developmental versatility and athletic traits to be more of an inside/outside guy

He'll have a role pretty much right away, but he is definitely someone that will take time to reach potential and establish a polished, effective pash rush repertoir

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
28 Apr 2023 14:49
LOL, pretty sure "up north" is completely dependent on where you are when you aren't there. I have a place in Rome, which is in Central Wisconsin but north from Madison. Up north I have friends that live there full time, but have places in Minocqua etc, which is there up North, and my "way up north there."
you have a very nice place up north :aok:

I tend to agree, true up north is relative, the other one is Gods Country, I'll tell ya what, I doubt God likes Mosquitoes any more then I do which are hatching up here here as I type this, or about ready to :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Apr 2023 16:08
TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Apr 2023 15:58
Labrev wrote:
28 Apr 2023 10:37

Barring injury or some other developmental setback, LVN will see the field early and often. I doubt Gary is ready to start the season, may need a few weeks, and then will need some time to readjust even when he's back on the field (we saw how Jenkins looked in his first few games off the same injury).

I am pretty sure LVN is a better pass-rusher than Enagbare right now and a better run-defender than Hollins right now. So it's really only Preston Smith who's clearly in front of him this year.
LVN will probably start on opening day. The only reason it took Gary 2 years to become productive is that he is intellectually challenged and LVN has no such issue.
It sorta sounds to me like the team sees him as an immediate interior sub package rusher with developmental versatility and athletic traits to be more of an inside/outside guy

He'll have a role pretty much right away, but he is definitely someone that will take time to reach potential and establish a polished, effective pash rush repertoir
according to way the draft played out, JVN seems the next best edge prospect, and we need a pass rusher, I think the situation (absent Z, Smith, injury rehab with Gary) will demand game snaps for LVN, so that makes the pick make more sense then when we took Gary for me, I'am excited for that, I expect 13 slot picks to play, instant gratification syndrome kicks in :lol:

hoping we get a couple solids tonight, we need more receiver help for our new QB and hopefully OL help to

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Acrobat wrote:
28 Apr 2023 12:55
Captain_Ben wrote:
Dutch Oven would work too!
I'm pushing "The Luke Ness Monster"

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Watching Bukowski have literally every possible reaction to this on Twitter, from hating the pick, questioning "why tho," complaining about a lack of a pass catcher... all the way through the spectrum, as he actually learned about him, to defending him, hyping him, and trying to push his preferred new nickname... was one of the funniest annoying Twitter things of last night. I mean, there were a lot of tweets. And he had the full spectrum of opinions. And he's the same human being reacting to the same thing.