Day 2 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Which positions should we add (choose 3)

WR
30%
TE
33%
T
8%
IOL
2%
QB
2%
DL
9%
LB
No votes
CB
2%
S
11%
K
No votes
Shut up BF
5%

Total votes: 64

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Apr 2023 16:41
Highest level of YoHo want:

Darnell Washington
Jonathan Mingo

YoHo would really like:

Sam LaPorta
Michael Mayer
Matthew Bergeron
Keanu Benton
Tomi Adeboware

Absolutely solid pick that I can't complain about but who doesn't stir emotions in me:

Cedric Tillman
Brian Branch
Cody Mauch
Luke Musgrave
Tucker Kraft
BJ Ojulari (would have been higher if we didn't already take a pass rusher, but they're different players)
Keion White (would have been higher if we didn't already take a pass rusher, but they're different players)

YoHo Disappointment:

Everyone not listed

Would Absolutely Hate in Round Two:
Jalin Hyatt
Hendon Hooker
Will Levis
Washington has terrible tape.
Mingo is amari rodgers

Jalin Hyatt is a stud as per his tape and production.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
28 Apr 2023 17:01
Washington has terrible tape.
Mingo is amari rodgers

Jalin Hyatt is a stud as per his tape and production.
Washington absolutely does not have horrible tape. He doesn't run crisp routes, but he makes great catches and gets good YAC and beats people up.

Mingo and Hyatt, whatever. Mingo is obviously much larger than Rodgers, but I've said all I want to about these two player debates. We all know where each other stand.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Washington COD is terrible. Like a train stopping.

There was also tape of him pushing a sled everyone was excited about. But his feet were so slow and ultimately did the drill wrong. Not a good sign.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Washington and Hyatt would be ideal situation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I have been a bit of a Hyatt detractor for him in Round 1, but in mid-Round 2, I would not mind it.

I would not love it, and not saying it's what I'd do (I probably have about a dozen guys ahead of him), but I can be okay with it here. And given that we have two picks in this round, I am willing to use one as more of a "luxury" pick.

Gotta say I would not mind a Will Fuller in our offense. I thought he was a pretty nice player when healthy, just couldn't stay on the field and was not an ideal as a WR1, but he wouldn't need to be that for us.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

bud fox wrote:
28 Apr 2023 17:10

There was also tape of him pushing a sled everyone was excited about. But his feet were so slow and ultimately did the drill wrong. Not a good sign.
You don't ask a 6'7" 270lb mostly inline TE to do a ton of COD. Blocker, first down getting, red zone threat, with the hope of developing into more. Lewis 2.0 with better upside and way more athletic is what you are drafting him to be.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

what would be ideal is that Mayer falls to us, I would trade up enough to get him actually, then take a WR next, be good for Love to have more receivers to build a future with.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
28 Apr 2023 10:22
Jets just getting ripped on ESPN for like the last 5 minutes.

Strang to get complete consensus from like 10 different guys contributing, but everyone got their shots in.

I love it. :lol:
What did they say about the Jets? I watched the NFL Network.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The more I look at how the first round fell I think we made the right choice. Gonzo was the best player but if we had taken him Stokes would have been an even bigger waste than he already is.

The edge players that went surprised me. I didn’t think Felix or McDonald would go in the first. I thought they would be 2nd round options.

I am concerned with the offense. We need a player who can get first downs and touchdowns or one of each. That is where we struggled last year. As good at Watson was he isn’t that guy to convert first downs. He’s a field stretcher and big play maker which is fine but sometime needs to take advantage of the space underneath.

Is Hyatt that guy? I think he is. He is excellent down the field but he’s also in my opinion good at finding the holes in zones, tracking, and using his hands to catch the ball. I think he’s a do it all guy that fits.

I also think you could go the TE route with that too. Mayer is there but you would have to jump the Rams and even then idk if he’s there. Darnell is probably not that guy to get the first downs but I could see him being a good complimentary piece. If we play a 2 TE set I can see him pairing well with La Porta. I am not a huge fan of Musgrave but you could make him into an athletic freak who could dominate any part of the field you just lose a lot in blocking.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

paco wrote:
28 Apr 2023 17:27
bud fox wrote:

You don't ask a 6'7" 270lb mostly inline TE to do a ton of COD. Blocker, first down getting, red zone threat, with the hope of developing into more. Lewis 2.0 with better upside and way more athletic is what you are drafting him to be.
Mercedes is his upside comparison.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Since I post a ton about my preferences individually, but rarely about the big picture, I just want to say what I'm looking for here:

I want a team that can beat you up and run away from you. I want a defense to HATE facing us. Because our guys are physical and relentless. But who can't simply match power for power because we'll burn those guys.

Watson is ideal: 210, relentless blocker, uses his body, and runs in the 4.3s
AJ Dillon is a huge factor in this. HUGE--I mean like 25 pounds bigger than other teams' power backs, but still runs a 4.5 and compares to a Jamal Lewis type if he puts it together.

This is why I soured a littleon Mauch; he has the demeanor, but not the power; needs to add a ton of strength. We run a zone blocking scheme, so the athletic thresholds are a MUST, but I'm looking for more powerful guys with a bully attitude. That's why I liked Wright and why I like Bergeron.

So basically, I'm looking for size/athleticism freaks with high motors and letting the coaches and schemes make up the difference.

I also recognize this is not the only way to do things. So to me, I have zero use for Josh Downs because he's small. But he will be a very good NFL WR. He just doesn't fit the vision I want to see built. And when we can, while there are options, that fit my vision, I prefer not to add "exception" players--especially when we're doing a roster transition and build as we clear our cap and add youth over a 2-year period.

And that's really all there is to it. It's shockingly simple, and frustratingly narrow. It's not how I have always or will always feel. But it's how I feel right now. I want this team to build a group of FAST bullies. Athletic bullies.

Obviously this was about offense, but the same basically goes for defense. But on defense, that's more standard.

So when we disagree on a guy like Hyatt or Downs or Tank Dell, it's not because they can't play. It's because they can't play how I want them to. Because I'm being overly rigid and specific and I recognize there are other points of view, I can be chill when the team goes a different direction. But the direction I want to go leads straight to Mingo and Iosivas and maybe Tillman based on his much more explosive 2021 tape (ankle injury limited him in '22). It leads to Washington at TE.

But there are lots of other ways to skin a cat. And the Packers may go those routes. That'll be fine. But it isn't what I'm rooting for.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

a trade down, 1 trade up. Makes for a long wait tomorrow but I wouldn't hate it.
image.png
image.png (16.13 KiB) Viewed 330 times
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

bud fox wrote:
28 Apr 2023 17:46
paco wrote:
28 Apr 2023 17:27
bud fox wrote:

Mercedes is his upside comparison.
And I have 0 problem with that. Mercedes was a nice threat when he first came into the league and was never the athlete Washington is. Never thought he got the opportunity he deserved being stuck on the Jags. I'll take him all day long and twice on Sundays.
RIP JustJeff

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Hyatt has been compared to Fuller on this board but Fuller played outside and Hyatt took most of his snaps at slot.

Hyatt and Watson lined up next to each other would give defences a fit. Would allow coaching to come up with some great schemes to get free receivers.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Nice shout out to Giannis to open up Day 2. That series sucked, but just a reminder we still have Giannis.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I want to like Hyatt but I just don’t see what is going to translate. Give me all the TEs over him.

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Good evening y’all! Here’s to a GREAT draft night for the Green Bay Packers!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Hardest day of the draft. See all your draft crushes go to other teams. In Gutey We Trust (except Lupe)!
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Apr 2023 16:41
Highest level of YoHo want:

Darnell Washington
Jonathan Mingo

YoHo would really like:

Sam LaPorta
Michael Mayer
Matthew Bergeron
Keanu Benton
Tomi Adeboware

Absolutely solid pick that I can't complain about but who doesn't stir emotions in me:

Cedric Tillman
Brian Branch
Cody Mauch
Luke Musgrave
Tucker Kraft
BJ Ojulari (would have been higher if we didn't already take a pass rusher, but they're different players)
Keion White (would have been higher if we didn't already take a pass rusher, but they're different players)

YoHo Disappointment:

Everyone not listed

Would Absolutely Hate in Round Two:
Jalin Hyatt
Hendon Hooker
Will Levis
Washington, Mingo, and LaPorta are my Top-3.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
28 Apr 2023 18:04
Hardest day of the draft. See all your draft crushes go to other teams. In Gutey We Trust (except Lupe)!
The middle of Round 2, every year, is just a heartbreaker. It truly is worse than Round 1.

Read More. Post Less.