General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Captain_Ben wrote:
07 Aug 2020 17:45
TheGreenMan wrote:
04 Aug 2020 14:50
Big fan of Lazard.

I'm looking forward to seeing some progression in the offense with him in the line up for sure.

Now, if only we can get one of Brown or MVS to break out. Both would be great!
I know it's probably been beaten to death, but I'd love to see MVS be the one. That speed is deadly!
Actually, lately nothing is beaten to death.

I'd really like to see MVS pan out, but I think with his speed he would be just fine out of the slot too. Downside is, if you want to even consider it to be, Lazard and Adams have very similar play if you're wanting them as your WR1 and WR2.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Captain_Ben wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
Big fan of Lazard.

I'm looking forward to seeing some progression in the offense with him in the line up for sure.

I know it's probably been beaten to death, but I'd love to see MVS be the one. That speed is deadly!
Speed is irrelevant is you can’t get under the ball.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Aug 2020 18:40
Captain_Ben wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
Big fan of Lazard.

Hard to get under the ball when the QB continuously overthrows it for fear of an INT... 8-) ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Aug 2020 22:19
lupedafiasco wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:

Hard to get under the ball when the QB continuously overthrows it for fear of an INT... 8-) ;)
There were several times the ball was put where it needed to be. A few that come to mind was when MVS caught a deep bomb in the back of the endzone but didnt even attempt to drag his feet and stepped out. Another one he got behind the defense and played the ball so poorly it landed maybe 5 yards away from him. Looked like he couldnt even loacate it. Then that one against the Bears late in the year where he breaks open and again tracks the ball poorly and doesnt extend his hands far enough.

The passes have been where they need to be. The coaches see it too and thats why his snaps dropped significantly as the season progressed.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Aug 2020 22:42
Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Aug 2020 22:19
lupedafiasco wrote:

There were several times the ball was put where it needed to be. A few that come to mind was when MVS caught a deep bomb in the back of the endzone but didnt even attempt to drag his feet and stepped out. Another one he got behind the defense and played the ball so poorly it landed maybe 5 yards away from him. Looked like he couldnt even loacate it. Then that one against the Bears late in the year where he breaks open and again tracks the ball poorly and doesnt extend his hands far enough.

The passes have been where they need to be. The coaches see it too and thats why his snaps dropped significantly as the season progressed.
It was a joke... Note the shades smiley and the winkey.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'am so fed up with all the cheap shots people take at Rodgers I wish he would sit this year and force a trade, here we are hoping one of the 3 stooges Gute brought in will actually be worth the slot he was taken in, this would happen to any QB that has low level talent to throw to, everyone misses a throw, over looks a check down hoping for more, or takes sacks, Rodgers is still a top 5 QB, but you'd never get that impression reading comments on this forum

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Yoop wrote:
08 Aug 2020 08:43
I'am so fed up with all the cheap shots people take at Rodgers I wish he would sit this year and force a trade, here we are hoping one of the 3 stooges Gute brought in will actually be worth the slot he was taken in, this would happen to any QB that has low level talent to throw to, everyone misses a throw, over looks a check down hoping for more, or takes sacks, Rodgers is still a top 5 QB, but you'd never get that impression reading comments on this forum
I think he can play at a top 5 level. Last year he played really well, but "top 5" level consistently? Probably not. You can certainly argue that most QB's will not play at that level all the time, but even from a rating standpoint - ESPN's laughable QBR rating, PFF, - he's not even top 10. Not even close. His completion percentage is down (usually floating 61-62%), his yards per attempt is down, his sacks are up, long ball is down, he just looks slower even. PFF's game winning drives and 4th Q comebacks - he's not even top 10. The only thing he'll consistently see Rodgers in the top 5, if not the best, his the low INT rate. He keeps it mind boggling low.

He doesn't give us (or at least myself) that persona of a machine on the field anymore. He absolutely gives us moments though, which still makes him a very dangerous guy. It can be scary to admit your guy isn't elite anymore. But, some of us haven't face that reality yet.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
07 Aug 2020 18:39
Captain_Ben wrote:
Actually, lately nothing is beaten to death.

I'd really like to see MVS pan out, but I think with his speed he would be just fine out of the slot too. Downside is, if you want to even consider it to be, Lazard and Adams have very similar play if you're wanting them as your WR1 and WR2.
I feel this deeply. I don't have a lot of faith in MVS--he always felt the most raw of our guys and with the most to learn. He never seemed to be refining his game to a game of details. I've argued in his favor a number of times on the competition between himself and Allison, but that's a very low bar--but my rationale was very similar; that we can have very good WRs who aren't burners, but it helps to have more variety of skillset on the field.

At this point, I would be satisfied simply with MVS improving enough to be a role player. I really need to see a guy who focuses in on the details of the game and becomes a true student of it.

I have always had a much stronger belief if EQSB's skillset and potential, especially when he was labelled as soft coming out but turned himself into a very willing and effective blocker during his rookie year; that showed me he's willing to step outside his comfort zone and improve, but the injury last year robbed us of knowing if he's made additional progress.

EQSB is a guy who has not yet revealed his shortcomings to us. We know he is a 6'5" 220 pound guy who runs a 4.46, which is ideal size/speed. We know he had zero recorded drops as a rookie. We know he's a willing and capable blocker. We have seen flashes of field and ball awareness on tricky sideline catches (2:40 in the video below against the 'Niners). He's more smooth than sudden, which is something I think is true of most of our receivers, but he has some YAC and tackle breaking ability, as well.

I'm really excited to see him progress. The only question is building a rapport with Rodgers and applying the proper effort and attention to detail to get praise.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 Aug 2020 11:12
Yoop wrote:
I think he can play at a top 5 level. Last year he played really well, but "top 5" level consistently? Probably not. You can certainly argue that most QB's will not play at that level all the time, but even from a rating standpoint - ESPN's laughable QBR rating, PFF, - he's not even top 10. Not even close. His completion percentage is down (usually floating 61-62%), his yards per attempt is down, his sacks are up, long ball is down, he just looks slower even. PFF's game winning drives and 4th Q comebacks - he's not even top 10. The only thing he'll consistently see Rodgers in the top 5, if not the best, his the low INT rate. He keeps it mind boggling low.

He doesn't give us (or at least myself) that persona of a machine on the field anymore. He absolutely gives us moments though, which still makes him a very dangerous guy. It can be scary to admit your guy isn't elite anymore. But, some of us haven't face that reality yet.
Have you ever considered he doesnt look like a machine because his wide receivers are dog &%$@? It shouldnt surprise that Rodgers numbers have dipped year in and year out as the talent around him has gotten worse. Management has failed this team and failed Rodgers. It starts with Murphy. Ends with TT and Gutey.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

There is plenty of offensive talent to be a top 5 offense. If the QB can't make that work without 3 great WRs then maybe it isn't the receivers who are dog &%$@.

2018 Drew Brees would like to also say that opinion is dog &%$@.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Hopefully they do something where they can allow some media in to tweet updates or post videos or something. Not sure if I can get through training camp with no updates. It’s like having an ice cold beer right in front of you but you can’t drink it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2020 12:03
Hopefully they do something where they can allow some media in to tweet updates or post videos or something. Not sure if I can get through training camp with no updates. It’s like having an ice cold beer right in front of you but you can’t drink it.
Limited media will be allowed. But I believe actual padded practices don't start until like next week.

I think right now it's literally like skype meetings still.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Aug 2020 14:35
There is plenty of offensive talent to be a top 5 offense. If the QB can't make that work without 3 great WRs then maybe it isn't the receivers who are dog &%$@.

2018 Drew Brees would like to also say that opinion is dog &%$@.
Rodgers has never been able to build chemistry with any of the resently aquired receivers, either they screw up the routes, or drop passes, which destroy's faith that they can be counted on, so he is reluctent to throw them the ball, where have these 3 great receivers been the last 5 years?

lis, sit Rodgers, and let these great receivers carry Love, or trade for Bree's since he's so good at carrying low talent receivers, you better hope like hell we can run the ball this year, Rodgers was our ticket to the promised land and this front office pissed it away

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 Aug 2020 11:12
Yoop wrote:

I see this completely different Green, Our 2nd best WR was our RB, however how many routes would you expect Jones had polished up enough to use in a game? he surprised defenses at first, however with limited designed plays for him defenses where able to keep him in check, and after Adams the rest didn't offer anything defenses couldn't defend, it's easy to blame Rodgers (not that he doesn't deserve some) but this has been a on going problem for awhile, our #2 and 3 receivers are a huge talent drop, minus some sort of consistency, (running routes the same, reaching route progression check points on schedule) a QB can't garner faith or build chemistry with that receiver.

this is what led me to say 2 years ago that Rodgers was sending the FO a message when he would not throw to the check downs on occassion, he was telling Ted to get him some receivers that can get open on schedule, now I know everyone here thought I was foolish, but that was so obvious to me, the result, we fired McCarthy, Ted was demoted and Gute brought in a bunch more jag WR's.

MLF wants to take the offense in a new direction, so we'll have to wait and see how this works out, year two could be good enough to repeat last years success, who knows.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sounds like the Packers are likely to sign Malik Turner, WR, previously with Seattle.

Apparently you can't bring in guys to workout without imminent plans of signing them and guess he was in for a visit.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
10 Aug 2020 14:51
Sounds like the Packers are likely to sign Malik Turner, WR, previously with Seattle.

Apparently you can't bring in guys to workout without imminent plans of signing them and guess he was in for a visit.
Are we seriously going to have WRs named Malik Turner and Malik Taylor? :thwap:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Why Seahawks Should Consider Re-Signing WR Malik Turner

Thomas Hall, SI.com - Seahawks Maven
Apr 15, 2020

So far this offseason, general manager John Schneider and his staff have been searching to find additional depth for the Seahawks receiving corps.

The process started last month when the Seahawks signed former Patriots receiver Phillip Dorsett to a one-year deal worth just over $1.04 million. At the time of this signing, Seattle was carrying eight receivers on its roster and it appeared they were nearly finished retooling at that position heading towards the NFL draft.

However, things took an unexpected turn on Tuesday when the Seahawks rescinded their exclusive rights tender on Malik Turner, making him an unrestricted free agent. But as Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times notes, the second-year pro could return to the Pacific Northwest next season on a “split” contract that would pay him a similar amount to his previous offer.

For Seattle, re-signing Turner to this type of contract would save them some money against the salary cap if he needed to be placed on the injury reserve during the 2020 campaign. It's a safeguard for a player who likely won't be a starter, but could still prove valuable from a depth perspective and on special teams.

Since the 2020 NFL Draft is expected to feature many talented receivers, the Seahawks could simply replace the Illinois product by selecting at least one receiver later this month. Still, there’s a lot of upside to bringing back Turner next season.

After spending most of his rookie campaign on Seattle's practice squad and making just a pair of catches in 2018, the former undrafted free agent finally received an opportunity to compete for the No. 3 receiver position last season.

During the 2019 campaign, Turner played in 15 regular season games and produced 15 catches, 245 yards (fourth-most among all receivers with 20 receptions or fewer), a 68.2 percent catch rate, one touchdown reception, and he averaged 16.3 yards per reception, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com.

Under those same qualifications for receivers with 20 or less receptions, the 24-year old Turner generated the third-highest receiver rating (120.5) and the sixth-most yards after catch (105) in 2019, according to Sports-Info-Solutions.com.

Despite playing just 22 percent of Seattle's offensive snaps during this past season, Turner was still able to be effective at creating additional yardage after catching the football, which has been a weakness for the team for the past two years.

As a result, he finished tied with the eighth-most receptions resulting in at least 20 yards among all receivers with 30 catches or fewer, according to NFL.com.

For the most part, Turner was productive for Seattle’s offense every time he stepped onto the field in 2019. Unfortunately, issues with drops started to surface late in the season, including a killer drop in the fourth quarter of a divisional round loss against Green Bay, and he’ll need to fix that problem regardless of where he plays.

Based on Turner’s production during the 2019 campaign, it’d be foolish for Seattle to cut his development short and not bring him back for a third season in 2020. He'll be pretty inexpensive to keep around and if he gets beat out for a roster spot in camp, so be it.

While it may be difficult to provide him with regular playing time with the arrival of Dorsett and a possible draft choice, Turner deserves another chance to compete for a reserve role on offense along with remaining a contributor on special teams.
Seems like a guy who has a reasonable expectation of competing with Begelton and Kumerow for a bottom-of-the-roster spot. More experience than our other PS-type guys, at least.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Where does the time go

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

As things are slated, we have real, 2020 Packers football one month from today.

:lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi:

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
11 Aug 2020 18:53

Where does the time go
I thought it was going to be another only "Rodgers and Mason" from the super bowl team tweet, but was surprised.

That tweet is actually hard to believe.
RIP JustJeff