Packers Draft Class Overall Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Packers Draft Class Overall Thoughts

Post by YoHoChecko »

Here it is, folks

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Our pass rush is ready to be a versatile, rotational, deep force.

Deep. Force.

Our offense has a good mix of weapons and targets. If Love can execute an NFL system, and if our OL stays healthy enough to hold up, I love what we're building.

I'm so stoked., So stoked., This draft had so many swings. So much upside. High enough floor. Hit multiple areas of need with multiple additions. Whew.

Our Day Two killed it. Our Day Three was like "hey, this depth matters. It's real."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm so sad we have Wicks and DeBose instead of Iosivas. I really really loved that fit.

But that's nit-picking, That's paltry stuff.

I'm so so stoked we hit Karl Brooks and Anthony Johnson Jr on Day 3. Great opportunities and upside. You don't have to be a sure thing on day three. But those guys, I love.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I generally think that PFN is pretty mediocre reporting and football analysis, but I'll give it to them on this one

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
29 Apr 2023 20:45
omg jinx!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Another thought.

I :heart: Cynthia Frelund

Such nerd. Much math. Very girl.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 29 Apr 2023 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't know if this draft will have a ton of Pro Bowlers but I think this draft will have a lot of guys who contribute a good deal to a growing team over the course of their 4-year controlled rookie contracts.

Very solid. Lots of upsides and risks. But collectively solid.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2023 21:14
I don't know if this draft will have a ton of Pro Bowlers but I think this draft will have a lot of guys who contribute a good deal to a growing team over the course of their 4-year controlled rookie contracts.

Very solid. Lots of upsides and risks. But collectively solid.
Fair. I don't see any year 1 contributors.

The wr might get the most opportunity.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The preseason games will be worth watching for a change. I plan to go this year for the first time ever.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Superb overall draft. LVN is a slam-dunk pick. I am a big believer in drafting elite athletes at the top of the draft. Van Ness checks the boxes.

I also like the fact that between him, Wooden, and Brooks, we added guys that bring versatile athleticism and pass-rush across the LOS. We are no longer reliant solely on Gary and Clark to bring that.

TEs are a long-term investment but now is the time for us to make it, this draft offered lots of nice prospects there, and we came away with two very talented ones. Plus we added a few guys to fill out our WR room and added skills that were missing there.

Clifford, Carlson, and Valentine are weird picks to me, but whatever. I loved Anthony Johnson; I hope his slide to R7 is just the league outsmarting itself. Nichols is a solid pickup too.

Biasccia also clearly had his fingerprints on this draft class, most of these guys bring ST value.

Obviously way too early to grade a draft, but my first impression is B+ job by Gutey.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Chad Reuter at nfl.com:
Grade
A-
Green Bay Packers
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B
Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: I love the potential in Van Ness as a strong edge defender who can play 5 technique. Musgrave (gained with the pick acquired from the Jets in exchange for Aaron Rodgers), Reed (picked slightly earlier than expected) and Kraft (picked slightly later) give new quarterback Jordan Love three young targets with whom he can get familiar this offseason.

Wooden and Brooks will greatly aid a lean defensive-line depth chart. Clifford has third-day intangibles and some physical traits to be a solid backup, though his accuracy was inconsistent throughout his career. Wicks, DuBose (my favorite pick of the group) and Nichols continue the team’s efforts to build talent on offense. Carlson possesses good leg strength but missed 12 field-goal attempts over the past two seasons. Valentine and Johnson were clutch picks for a secondary in need of help.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

A lot of reaches, waited-too-longs, projects....could have grabbed Darnell Washington and quit at TE, could have had Duggan rather than Clifford....picked a scrub kicker.

But out of all of them I have high hopes for Valentine and Nichol. With the right seasoning and veteran challenging in their position room they can flourish. Valentine has the stage set for him to look like a star vs. this 1st team offense in camp, as do all the secondary selections.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think it’s an easy A day 1, and easy B day 2, and an absolutely atrocious F day 3. No way around it from there. Terrible practice to not take a single Olineman in a class and there were plenty of opportunities.

I think they nailed BPA and TE both chances. I think every chance they too a WR they massively missed the mark.

I have to slow dive through this draft class but initial thought is it’s a B- for me. They stacked up on day 3 picks and blew all of them.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Apr 2023 22:53
I think it’s an easy A day 1, and easy B day 2, and an absolutely atrocious F day 3. No way around it from there. Terrible practice to not take a single Olineman in a class and there were plenty of opportunities.

I think they nailed BPA and TE both chances. I think every chance they too a WR they massively missed the mark.

I have to slow dive through this draft class but initial thought is it’s a B- for me. They stacked up on day 3 picks and blew all of them.
I liked Rice in R2 but think Reed will be a solid slot in time.

My problems are Clifford in R5 (way too soon and ahead of Duggan who I really like), no day 3 C (plenty were there at various points), and Carson is a wasted pick (I watched a lot of Auburn games on CBS and ESPN, he is bad). After missing out on the first 2 kickers just get one undrafted.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No Day 3 OL was making the team anyway...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I'd give the Packers an A on day 1 and day 2 but only a C on day 3. I don't think any of those guys are going to make the 53 and several won't make the PS.

IMO, the Packers got Day 1 starters in Van Ness, Musgrave and Reed (slot)

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Seems most guys we went after played great in 2021 and had down years in 2022.

TE and DL both a big need and take time to develop, but our guys are interesting. I love doubling up on them.

Lots of versatile pass rushers with Wooden and Brooks at DL and Van Ness all over. Brooks absolutely dominated lower competition.

Reed hopefully can be our playmaker as a 3/4 WR.

The QB and K I am not super excited about, but I understand the picks.

The RB & DB if we hit on one would really help close our needs for next year's draft.

No OL is suprising, but we have pretty good competition coming back. Hopefully Jones, Tenuta, and walker have improved enough to help if needed.
Sean Rhyan I think we are all ready to call a bust, but he is a top 100 pick from last year who may be able to provide some competition this year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

CheeseheadTV does a draft guide where they categorize players by how well they fit GB’s trends and thresholds.

In the past two drafts only 9 WRs we’re tier 1 Packers. Five of those 9 are on the roster right now. (Watson, Doubs, Melton, Wicks, DeBose)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think Day 3 has a lot of Practice Squad candidates and usually I hate drafting guys who might not make the 53 but this is a rough class and if we can retain our guys it sets us up nicely to have fewer MUSTS going forward. And Day Three is not ever about immediate help.

That said, we got Wooden, Brooks, and Johnson on Day Three and I couldn’t be happier with that trio.

I also think I sold Wicks shirt by only looking at his ‘22 and not his ‘21. I made that allowance for Tillman when watching him, so I’m more intrigued today than I was at the moment of the pick.

I still think our two WRs on Day Three were safer than upside plays, but maybe that’s by design.

I genuinely, truly, don’t understand the overwhelming hate on a 5th round backup QB that the team clearly hand picked just because his consensus grades were low. It just isn’t that consequential.

But yeah, plenty of these guys won’t make the 53 in ‘23 but might in ‘24. I get that frustration.

But I’m happy enough with the 3-4 guys I really like in day three to not worry too much about the 4-5 guys that are basically PS quality guys. It’s a weak draft. Gutey even said he would have traded out of some of these picks for ‘24 picks, but wasn’t getting those offers