Packers Draft Class Overall Thoughts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Apr 2023 21:39
The preseason games will be worth watching for a change. I plan to go this year for the first time ever.
Lemme know when you are rolling in for training camp this year. ;)

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Listening to the post draft presser. Gute sure does give more details on though process then TT ever did.

LeFleur talked a lot about testing how much the young guys on offense can handle and how much they need to scale back.

Gute also mentioned they got to a point on OL where they did not think the guy they drafted would make the roster because of their depth.

Clifford was the last QB they had in that their, so easy decision on him.

Seems very open to brining in Amos back, said they've been in communication throughout the offseason.

Sounds like Gute did not think he would trade day 3 unless he was getting value picks for next year. Also mentioned with compensatory picks next year Packers will probably have around 11 picks.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Day 3 could easily be an A if even 3 of these guys make solid contributions to the team. We had a lot of picks and took some chances and if we got on a few, then I'm good.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

bud fox wrote:
29 Apr 2023 21:25
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2023 21:14
I don't know if this draft will have a ton of Pro Bowlers but I think this draft will have a lot of guys who contribute a good deal to a growing team over the course of their 4-year controlled rookie contracts.

Very solid. Lots of upsides and risks. But collectively solid.
Fair. I don't see any year 1 contributors.

The wr might get the most opportunity.
So who do you think is going to start at OLB besides Preston? You don't seriously think Gary will, do you? We will be lucky to see Gary play a good game before December. Yeah Tonyan and Jenkins did play before December but they did not play well until December.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah LVN will definitely contribute early and often in Year 1. He's probably our best EDGE after Smith, and the guys behind him saw the field plenty even before Gary (who likely won't be available for the beginning of the year) went down.

All four of our TEs last year got a lot of snaps too, so Musgrave and Kraft will probably also get out there quite a bit.

Reed has a path to be our primary slot receiver. If it's not Toure, he's probably the favorite to be the guy there. To say nothing about how thin our WR and DL rooms are, so there is a path for any of Wooden, Wicks, Brooks, and DuBose to see the field

I can agree we drafted a bit more for the long-term than immediate impact, but no Year 1 contributor? That's just crazy talk lol.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
29 Apr 2023 22:46
A lot of reaches, waited-too-longs, projects....could have grabbed Darnell Washington and quit at TE
Would you rather have the freak athlete who you know is a good receiver and needs to work on blocking or the freak athlete who you know is a bad receiver who doesn't need work on blocking?
image.png
image.png (229.47 KiB) Viewed 363 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's crazier than I thought!

:kaboom:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2023 11:31
It's crazier than I thought!

:kaboom:
Bisaccia still playing gm

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
I don't know if this draft will have a ton of Pro Bowlers but I think this draft will have a lot of guys who contribute a good deal to a growing team over the course of their 4-year controlled rookie contracts.

You don't think we'll see any contributions from the 2 TEs we took?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
30 Apr 2023 10:49
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
A lot of reaches, waited-too-longs, projects....could have grabbed Darnell Washington and quit at TE
Would you rather have the freak athlete who you know is a good receiver and needs to work on blocking or the freak athlete who you know is a bad receiver who doesn't need work on blocking?

image.png
With these numbers you have to wonder why Washington lasted as long as he did before the Steelers finally took him...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pugger wrote:
30 Apr 2023 12:23
BF004 wrote:
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:

image.png
With these numbers you have to wonder why Washington lasted as long as he did before the Steelers finally took him...
Pure projection as a receiver and sounded like he had some foot issues. Very bad news for a big.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:

image.png
I don't think it's accurate even at all to say you know Washington is a bad receiver. That's just silly.

I understand what you mean, take the receiver who needs help blocking over the blocker that is projection as a receiver. But I think there's a lot more nuance to both guys. Musgrave has some drops issues with his hands, as well as injury questions. Washington apparently has medical stuff and character stuff.

I just don't think you can break them down as the blocker and the receiver.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Dane Brugler said on his podcast that the Packers were his second-favorite draft. Nate Tice picked the Packers as his favorite to highlight (but that was after Brugler said the Eagles, so they were ruled out)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2023 12:32
BF004 wrote:
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:

image.png
I don't think it's accurate even at all to say you know Washington is a bad receiver. That's just silly.

I understand what you mean, take the receiver who needs help blocking over the blocker that is projection as a receiver. But I think there's a lot more nuance to both guys. Musgrave has some drops issues with his hands, as well as injury questions. Washington apparently has medical stuff and character stuff.

I just don't think you can break them down as the blocker and the receiver.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Dane Brugler said on his podcast that the Packers were his second-favorite draft. Nate Tice picked the Packers as his favorite to highlight (but that was after Brugler said the Eagles, so they were ruled out)
as you've said and that article I brought last week states, the blocking part for a TE is what really keeps them off the field, just as with OT, a blocking mis cue from the TE could be a season ending hit for your QB, so coaches are risky to take that chance unless they have faith there TE can do the job.

It's why TE's are rarely picked in round one unless they have excellent receiving skills that are to good to pass up.

that article high lighted that it usually takes a TE all of there rookie contract to excel, and the top ones last year where at the end of there 2nd contract, now we know why Ted bought Cook and Bennet who if memory serves where both in there 2nd contract.

If Musgrave hadn't gotten hurt no way he would have lasted till our slot, I read the drops where just a lack of concentration, and not a poor hands thing, so imo thats coachable fix.

I'll keep a eye on Kincaid and Buffalo, I doubt they'll ask him to block much, I think he'll be a stud.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

It was a good draft for things we need minus safety. I would have liked to use some of those late picks to get more of a sure thing earlier in the draft through a trade up, but seemed we played our hand as well as we could related to the team needs
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2023 13:06
It was a good draft for things we need minus safety. I would have liked to use some of those late picks to get more of a sure thing earlier in the draft through a trade up, but seemed we played our hand as well as we could related to the team needs
I've seen this sentiment and I get it because 13 picks is a lot. But I'm wondering which of our top 5 picks you'd like to sub out to get a guy who went a few picks earlier that was "more of a sure thing"

Or do you just mean trade 2 5ths for a late 4th kind of trade?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2023 13:16
Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2023 13:06
I've seen this sentiment and I get it because 13 picks is a lot. But I'm wondering which of our top 5 picks you'd like to sub out to get a guy who went a few picks earlier that was "more of a sure thing"

Or do you just mean trade 2 5ths for a late 4th kind of trade?
Def second option, If possible. Trade 5, 6, 7s, about as many as needed..to get back in the 4th

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pugger wrote:
30 Apr 2023 12:19
bud fox wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I'm not sure either start first year. Both need some development. Davis and deguara will need to be jumped.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
30 Apr 2023 14:18
Pugger wrote:
30 Apr 2023 12:19
bud fox wrote:

I'm not sure either start first year. Both need some development. Davis and deguara will need to be jumped.
Davis will only require a mere step over, not a full jump to be surpassed

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah Tyler Davis is actively bad on the field in most situations, so :idn:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I would bet a lot that one of the rookie TEs gets a handful of starts or more.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."