Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
03 May 2023 09:15
If the odd man out is Tyler Doofus, then yeah, please bring him back!!
this the year TE's go from ST's junkits to having a place on the offense, keep em both, Lewis as a player/coach, and Davis because he finally won't be a liability in the passing schemes and blocking, maybe, at least see where he's at before season cut downs.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

:munch:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
03 May 2023 11:36

:munch:
Yay!!!!!!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2023 09:36
BF004 wrote:
03 May 2023 09:07
Based.

I desperately want this dude in the room for our two new guys. Desperately.

If it doesn't happen, meh. But if it does, Musgrave and Kraft will be godmode in year two.

Why would anyone want Tyler Davis on the roster ahead of Marcedes? It's not like they need him as a long-term development guy after taking two top-80 draft picks
I get your sentiment. I do. Truly.

But then I ask myself...what tangible benefit did Lewis' presence provide Tonyan? Davis? Deguara? They all spent multiple years as teammates and shared the position room with him. There certainly wasn't a "godmode" effect in their time(s) together.

Unless you suppose Musgrave and Kraft are a much better quality of clay to shape? And they'll respond and benefit from his mentorship in ways those previous guys did not albeit at a cost of Lewis taking some of their precious snaps...?

I dunno. I just don't see a great benefit in bringing Lewis back (in a player capacity) when you have paid coaches to provide the rookies with what should be every bit as good leadership and coaching, not to mention the cap is super tight this year already.

I wouldn't be devastated seeing Lewis brought back but I'd just as soon that roster spot be used on another developmental player (not necessarily Davis or even a TE).

If anything, offer Lewis a coaching internship and let him choose to either uproot his family...again...while chasing an ever fading dream or stay where he's appreciated and loved, just in a different capacity, while embarking on the next career chapter.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
03 May 2023 15:26
I get your sentiment. I do. Truly.

But then I ask myself...what tangible benefit did Lewis' presence provide Tonyan? Davis? Deguara? They all spent multiple years as teammates and shared the position room with him. There certainly wasn't a "godmode" effect in their time(s) together.

Unless you suppose Musgrave and Kraft are a much better quality of clay to shape? And they'll respond and benefit from his mentorship in ways those previous guys did not albeit at a cost of Lewis taking some of their precious snaps...?

I dunno. I just don't see a great benefit in bringing Lewis back (in a player capacity) when you have paid coaches to provide the rookies with what should be every bit as good leadership and coaching, not to mention the cap is super tight this year already.

I wouldn't be devastated seeing Lewis brought back but I'd just as soon that roster spot be used on another developmental player (not necessarily Davis or even a TE).

If anything, offer Lewis a coaching internship and let him choose to either uproot his family...again...while chasing an ever fading dream or stay where he's appreciated and loved, just in a different capacity, while embarking on the next career chapter.
Tonyan arrived as a WR. The tangible benefit, I think, really played out well with him. he never ended up any sort of top end blocker, but the fact that we developed an undrafted small school WR into a capable TE who had a very good, though brief, arrival before being injured is definitely telling.

And I've said this before and I'll say it again, veteran leadership is NOT the same as coaching and having a respected veteran in the room modeling the behavior of what it takes to be successful and the attention to detail and the desire to be better every day at the highest level of the game is incredibly different than coaching.

And the other thing I have said before and will say again is that every... single... member of the front office, coaching staff, and team, has vouched for the positive impact of having this human int heir life and locker room. To ignore ALL of those people and say "hey, what did Tonyan actually get out of this?" to me, just the most atrocious ignoring of available evidence I can imagine--to think that we know better out here as fans watching guys play football, than the men who spend time with this guy day in and day out... I just don't understand what it would take for the doubters to believe the dozens and dozens of insider experts on the Packers locker room who all say the same thing.

But again, it might be the end of the road for him. He isn't under contract, money is tight. I won't cry if we don't re-sign him. I won't think much about it this year. All accounts I've read and heard indicate that Musgrave and Kraft have the right attitude and demeanor and I'm sure that they will harness their abilities nicely. But sometimes, guys who have always been the best think they know what hard work and dedication looks like, and only find out there's another level of it when they see it first hand. I want our guys to have the chance to see what that looks like early, rather than figure it out as they go. That's all.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lewis value has always been overblown. He’s an old guy that blocks well. Runs like he has sand in his shoes. He’s very likable. I like him as a guy, the front office likes him as a guy, rodgers seemed to like him as a guy….but value on the field…big meh.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Kinda neat

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

oh hell. his twitter handle is hercules. We went from 0 Hercules on the roster to two in just a few weeks time.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Really want to see him get going a few more times this year. But what a boss.

Hope we can bring him back on like a 2/8, 3/15 type contract this offseason.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
05 May 2023 13:40
Really want to see him get going a few more times this year. But what a boss.

Hope we can bring him back on like a 2/8, 3/15 type contract this offseason.

As a person, AJ Dillon is my favorite Packer with probably Aaron Jones a close second.

He's my avatar for a reason.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The rookies have arrived! :)

Check the Packers yootoob channel for interviews of our newest players: https://www.youtube.com/@packers/videos
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Just listened to Reed, he seems level headed, humble, and said can't play fast if ya don't know the play book, I'am here to learn the plays, certainly what I want to hear, he sounds like a quick study, contributing early would sure help Love.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
03 May 2023 16:47
Lewis value has always been overblown. He’s an old guy that blocks well. Runs like he has sand in his shoes. He’s very likable. I like him as a guy, the front office likes him as a guy, rodgers seemed to like him as a guy….but value on the field…big meh.
We apologize in advance for anyone who comes here who runs with sand in their shoes. We meant no disrespect.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
06 May 2023 08:45
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Replay of game vs Dallas last year on NFLN. Crazy how different the offense will be.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
08 May 2023 12:43
I know that we aren’t supposed to use the word. But I will just go ahead and say it.

We are REBUILDING.

There, I feel better now.

Now that we have cleared the air (at least for me), we can also discuss how the Packers have a better roster than the vast majority of REBUILDING teams. We do have very good players and a proven system and coaching.
I'm not super concerned of the semantics of it all; but we're replacing 6 of 22 starters (7 of 24 if we count kicker and punter). Of the 7 starters leaving, 4 are 30+. We lost one assistant coach to my knowledge (secondary) while the rest of the staff returns.

It's probably slightly more change than a usual offseason. It doesn't include a whole purge of older players like Preston Smith or Bakhtiari, but instead restructured them. But also those are the only two left in that age range.

So call it whatever you want, but that's the task: replace 3 starters apiece on O and on D, transition the offense to be Jordan Love-friendly.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 May 2023 11:48
Scott4Pack wrote:
I know that we aren’t supposed to use the word. But I will just go ahead and say it.

We are REBUILDING.

Now that we have cleared the air (at least for me), we can also discuss how the Packers have a better roster than the vast majority of REBUILDING teams. We do have very good players and a proven system and coaching.
I'm not super concerned of the semantics of it all; but we're replacing 6 of 22 starters (7 of 24 if we count kicker and punter). Of the 7 starters leaving, 4 are 30+. We lost one assistant coach to my knowledge (secondary) while the rest of the staff returns.

It's probably slightly more change than a usual offseason. It doesn't include a whole purge of older players like Preston Smith or Bakhtiari, but instead restructured them. But also those are the only two left in that age range.

So call it whatever you want, but that's the task: replace 6 starters on O and D, transition the offense to be Jordan Love-friendly.
agreed, I don't see us as rebuilding in the normal sense of doing it, we are not revamping schemes any more then they evolve season to season, when I think of rebuilding I think back to 2019 with New HC, or even switching DC's.

even adding these TE's isn't much different then years past with Dequara and Sternberger, certainly not to the extent of firing Bob Sanders, and drafting Raji and moving back up to nab Mathews.

Love has been in this same offense for 3 years, why would anyone think Lafleur would change that very much?
scheme changes is what kills young players, it's what makes college ball to pro ball take a year of coaching up for young players to adapt

this was a great draft imo, but doesn't speak to rebuild for me.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
09 May 2023 12:02
Love has been in this same offense for 3 years, why would anyone think Lafleur would change that very much?
scheme changes is what kills young players, it's what makes college ball to pro ball take a year of coaching up for young players to adapt
I don't think MLF will change the offense a lot, but I'm pretty convinced we'll see more similarities to 2019 than 2020-2022. Based on last preseason, I think we'll see more read-option plays for Love, too.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 May 2023 11:48
Scott4Pack wrote:

We are REBUILDING.

A good, concise summary. Thanks.

We do face more challenges than usual. But again, we separated from some aging vets and that’s usually good in the long run.

So call it whatever you want, but that's the task: replace 3 starters apiece on O and on D, transition the offense to be Jordan Love-friendly.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!