Love SZN: Official Thread of QB1.

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
10 May 2023 11:22
Yoop wrote:
09 May 2023 16:18
APB wrote:
09 May 2023 16:07

Hmmm...

I wonder what could have been done to maybe alleviate some of those chemistry issues...?

:dunno:
obviously not attending OTA's and off season stuff didn't help, but again, if your having to try and build chemistry every season from complete scratch with new receivers it gets old, not defending that, but we know just how that stuff gets, how'd ya like to train in a new recruits every month.

yes we paid him a lot of dough to do it, but human natured don't give two hoots about that, reality that s how burn out starts, If Labrev was right about anything, that is what I think we saw, specially once it became obvious that Watkins was washed up, it was beyond obvious to me that Rodgers became frustrated.
I'm really missing some of the logic behind this apparent obsession regarding the lack of receiver talent with the MVP QB who is thankfully no longer with us.
Turn the table a bit for a minute....
1988 with Majik and Wrong splitting time at QB Sterling Sharpe snagged 55 as an unproven rookie. Then with Majik in 1989 Sterling snagged 90.
Other WRs were guys like Perry Kemp and Walter Stanley. Just sayin'
Sterling was the best we had that year, just as Watson was last year and in 11 games had 41 receptions, I didn't look up stats for Stanley or Kemp, I'am just assuming that that Lazard was a better 2nd option then either of them

we should have probably cut the chord with Rodgers prior to 2018 when Murphy paid him handsomely to stay, or even last year, but then we had no one with proven better ability, still don't actually.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Matt Schneidman from The Athletic with his latest Jordan Love write-up:

(It's behind a paywall. You're welcome...)

Matt Schneidman of The Athletic wrote:For Green Bay Packers, Jordan Love’s time to shine has finally arrived

Not too long ago, Jordan Love wasn’t sure this day would ever come, the 24-year-old who’s ridden the bench the last three years standing at a podium inside Lambeau Field as the Packers’ starting quarterback.

Love knew what he was getting into when Green Bay drafted him in the first round in 2020. He knew who he was behind. He knew he’d have to sit and learn, that his desire — any player’s desire — to make plays right away would have to wait. But when Aaron Rodgers signed a three-year, $150 million extension last March, Love wondered whether he’d do anything but sit and learn here in Green Bay.

“I’ll admit, I think the hardest time was when he re-signed the contract last year,” Love said during his first press conference as the Packers’ starting quarterback on Wednesday. “It was kinda like, ‘OK, well, where do we go from here? What do I do?’ And I think I sat back, thought to myself and just came back with the approach like, let’s just go ball out any opportunity I get. I’m gonna get preseason, and who knows what happens after that? So just grow and try and become the best version of myself and I can’t really control what happens after that, so let it play out.”

Love has let it play out, and it’s paid off. He’s the guy now. The quarterback for one of the most iconic franchises in sports. The next in line after the two first-ballot Hall of Famers who have preceded him.

Not only is Love following in the legendary footsteps of Brett Favre and Rodgers, but he’s playing to show the organization, the league, anyone watching, that he can be the next long-term starter in Green Bay. The contract extension Love recently signed truly only guarantees he’ll be the starter in 2023. He’ll likely get a two-year trial period, but nobody — not even Love himself or those who have watched him closest the last three years — know how good he’s going to be.

“I mean, it’s pressure,” Love said. “No matter where you’re going to be at, there’s going to be pressure. You’re an NFL quarterback. There’s only so many of you, so everyone’s watching you. Everyone’s watching every move you make on the field, so it’s pressure, but that’s what comes with the position. That’s what I signed up for. That’s what I knew I was getting myself into and it comes down to me just making the most of that.”

The Packers believe Love can be the guy because of what he showed in Rodgers’ shadow.

That picturesque throw in tight coverage to the right sideline against the Eagles on Sunday Night Football last year that Aaron Jones dropped? Jones has seen plenty of plays like that outside of the national spotlight. Love has seen plenty of looks from Green Bay’s No. 1 defense the last couple years, both when Rodgers didn’t report to last offseason’s voluntary OTAs and when Love took starter reps in practice while Rodgers nursed a broken thumb during last season.

“We see it daily,” Jones said. “Some balls, some dimes, everybody’s back there oohing and aahing.”

It’s not just what Love has done physically that has impressed his teammates, either.

“He believes in himself, first off,” Jones said. “That’s No. 1. You’ve got to believe in yourself or nobody else is going to believe in you, so he believes in himself, he cares about everybody around him and we’ve seen him just come in consistently and just work, work, work. As an athlete, you want to come in and play right away and that wasn’t Jordan’s case. He didn’t have that opportunity, and he did it the right way. He waited his time and you never heard one peep or complaint out of him. He has everyone’s respect and he works.

“We all love Jordan here, and like I said, he has everyone’s full respect and we’re all going to go lay it out on the line for him. … All the guys buy into him. He’s lovable. He’s funny. He’s caring. He has everything that you look for in a quarterback to command a room.”

“He came in, put in his work, doing a great job of leading us and all that kind of stuff,” defensive tackle Kenny Clark said. “Just handling his business how he normally do. Nothing but great things to say about Jordan.”

Love got together in California this offseason with Jones and wide receiver Romeo Doubs. Jones wanted to hone his timing with Love and get comfortable with him. That’s been the biggest difference for Love this offseason, he said, trying to get guys to visit California to practice with him, which has proven easier now that he’s the No. 1 QB. Love senses a buzz in the locker room now that he’s in charge. The normally soft-spoken kid who’s largely remained behind the scenes since he entered the league says he’s ready to be more vocal, to be the face of the franchise.

Perhaps he’s learned how to approach his newfound prominence from Rodgers, who has been one of the faces of the league for the past 15 years. Love and Rodgers have spoken since the Packers traded the four-time MVP to the Jets. Rodgers wished Love the best and said he’d always be there for him if he has questions.

For three years, Love watched Rodgers every day — how he handled business in the locker room, how he interacted with teammates, how he practiced. He observed his footwork, how the ball comes out of his right hand, how quickly he processes information on the field. It’s all been valuable to Love, who now must incorporate all that into his own game to stay afloat in the NFL.

“I have confidence in myself. I have confidence in the team. And we’re just going to take it day-by-day,” Love said. “I mean, I can’t say what might happen this year, what might happen next year. I mean, who knows?”

The Packers’ returning captains who spoke on Wednesday, Jones and Clark, both acknowledged that the expectations outside 1265 Lombardi Ave. won’t be the same for the Packers without Rodgers at the helm. They welcome that. An eagerness to perhaps prove those doubters wrong has already been evident in the short time since they returned to Green Bay for offseason work.

“When you prove people wrong, it’s one of the best feelings in the world,” Jones said. “I think that’s what we’re gonna do this year, prove a lot of people wrong.”

That’s part of the intrigue of this next chapter. It could crash and burn. It could be just OK. But it could also be triumphant, Love even flashing why he could be the next great quarterback to don the green and gold. That’s what the Packers are hoping and what they’re eager to find out now that Love’s chance in the spotlight, after three long years, has finally arrived.

“I know it’s not going to be easy this year,” Love said. “But one thing I do is, I tell myself every day that I’m good enough.”

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

LFG!!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
10 May 2023 15:49
Perhaps he’s learned how to approach his newfound prominence from Rodgers, who has been one of the faces of the league for the past 15 years. Love and Rodgers have spoken since the Packers traded the four-time MVP to the Jets. Rodgers wished Love the best and said he’d always be there for him if he has questions.

For three years, Love watched Rodgers every day — how he handled business in the locker room, how he interacted with teammates, how he practiced. He observed his footwork, how the ball comes out of his right hand, how quickly he processes information on the field. It’s all been valuable to Love, who now must incorporate all that into his own game to stay afloat in the NFL.
this can't be right? it says Rodgers wants to be there for the kid, I thought Rodgers was the mean ol Fav-re who wanted nothing to do with his replacement :lol:

I think the best thing for any young QB recruit is to groom behind a quality vet for a season or two, and Love needed that, as he said I'am soooo much better now.

I took the discounted offer from the Athletic for the draft, 1.99 a month for 3 months I think, I'll cancel when that time frame is up and do it again next year, I think this is my 3rd or 4th year doing it, ya just can't beat the Athletic, soooo much info :aok: thanks for the read APB

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Won’t give him the 5th year option, begs Rodgers back last year, “preaching patience” in May….just how bad are the packers preparing for Love to be???
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
10 May 2023 18:32

Won’t give him the 5th year option, begs Rodgers back last year, “preaching patience” in May….just how bad are the packers preparing for Love to be???
As bad as the FO that drafted Brohm in the 2nd round in 2008.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

APB wrote:
10 May 2023 15:49
(It's behind a paywall. You're welcome...)
Thank you! :aok:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I find it interesting that blogger Dianna from NJ carries more weight in their reporting than guys who live in Green Bay.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Always dismissing the female reporters. Very sexist. Not shocked.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Acrobat wrote:
10 May 2023 19:21
Drj820 wrote:
10 May 2023 18:32

As bad as the FO that drafted Brohm in the 2nd round in 2008.
So... That was a quote from the reporter, which is generally called "an opinion". It was not a quote from anyone in the Packers organization. :roll:

Of course the Packers are preaching patience. Even if Love lit it up early, there would be some rough spots and learning moments that come with the 1st season as a starter.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Drj820 wrote:
10 May 2023 22:12
Looks like he's east-coastist.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
Wait, are you really calling him sexist because he trusts local reporters over someone from NJ? Do you have other examples of sexist comments Pckfn23 has made that you could bring to the table to back up your claim?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 May 2023 22:02
I find it interesting that blogger Dianna from NJ carries more weight in their reporting than guys who live in Green Bay.
you shouldn't, the beat writers for the Packers are lap dogs to the team, mostly feel good articles dependent on fan approval, they write what you want to hear, those that don't are named Bob McGinn, and the fans hated him so much that PG and JS asked him to resign

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Acrobat wrote:
11 May 2023 09:43
Drj820 wrote:
Wait, are you really calling him sexist because he trusts local reporters over someone from NJ? Do you have other examples of sexist comments Pckfn23 has made that you could bring to the table to back up your claim?
Don't fall for the bait, [mention]Acrobat[/mention]. You'll just be reeled into something you really want no part of.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
11 May 2023 09:57
Acrobat wrote:
11 May 2023 09:43
Drj820 wrote:
Don't fall for the bait, @Acrobat. You'll just be reeled into something you really want no part of.
100%, it's simply the usual trolling or passive agressiveness.

[mention]Acrobat[/mention] appreciate it, but just best to leave it.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 11 May 2023 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
you shouldn't, the beat writers for the Packers are lap dogs to the team, mostly feel good articles dependent on fan approval, they write what you want to hear, those that don't are named Bob McGinn, and the fans hated him so much that PG and JS asked him to resign
The ones that actually work for Packers.com maybe, but this is patently not true for most of the Packers beat writers or "bloggers." There is a certain subset of Packer fans that hate them because they bring reasoned arguments to the table instead of a fiery, burn the place down ethos that they crave.

Right now we have:
Matt Schneidman
Tom Silverstein
Aaron Nagler
Rob Demovsky
Ryan Wood
Dusty Evely
Andy Herman
Peter Bukowski
Paul Bretl
Jason Wilde
Justis Mosqueda
Tom Grossi
Bill Huber
Ross Uglem
Zach Kruse
Kris Burke
Wes Hodkiewicz
Tyler Brooke
Lily Zhao
Jason B. Hirschhorn
Matt Rampage

And I am sure I am missing a handful.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 May 2023 10:27
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
The ones that actually work for Packers.com maybe, but this is patently not true for most of the Packers beat writers or "bloggers." There is a certain subset of Packer fans that hate them because they bring reasoned arguments to the table instead of a fiery, burn the place down ethos that they crave.

Right now we have:
Matt Schneidman
Tom Silverstein
Aaron Nagler
Rob Demovsky
Ryan Wood
Dusty Evely
Andy Herman
Peter Bukowski
Paul Bretl
Jason Wilde
Justis Mosqueda
Tom Grossi
Bill Huber
Ross Uglem
Zach Kruse
Kris Burke
Wes Hodkiewicz
Tyler Brooke
Lily Zhao
Jason B. Hirschhorn
Matt Rampage

didn't say I don't like reading there mostly feel good articles, and they do provide us with a lot of info, but at times they come off very biased, thanks for the list

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
11 May 2023 10:46
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Right now we have:
Matt Schneidman
Tom Silverstein
Aaron Nagler
Rob Demovsky
Ryan Wood
Dusty Evely
Andy Herman
Peter Bukowski
Paul Bretl
Jason Wilde
Justis Mosqueda
Tom Grossi
Bill Huber
Ross Uglem
Zach Kruse
Kris Burke
Wes Hodkiewicz
Tyler Brooke
Lily Zhao
Jason B. Hirschhorn
Matt Rampage

didn't say I don't like reading there mostly feel good articles, and they do provide us with a lot of info, but at times they come off very biased, thanks for the list
So you are trying to say the entirety of that list mostly puts out feel good articles and comes off as biased? I think an evaluation of one's own bias would be beneficial over thinking that of those 20+ individuals.

So, who should we follow for this unbiased look into the Packers?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 May 2023 10:49
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Right now we have:
Matt Schneidman
Tom Silverstein
Aaron Nagler
Rob Demovsky
Ryan Wood
Dusty Evely
Andy Herman
Peter Bukowski
Paul Bretl
Jason Wilde
Justis Mosqueda
Tom Grossi
Bill Huber
Ross Uglem
Zach Kruse
Kris Burke
Wes Hodkiewicz
Tyler Brooke
Lily Zhao
Jason B. Hirschhorn
Matt Rampage

So you are trying to say the entirety of that list mostly puts out feel good articles and comes off as biased? I think an evaluation of one's own bias would be beneficial over thinking that of those 20+ individuals.

quit using extremes to pigeon hole others into extended arguments, never said any of that, it's a long list read whomever you want.

I just find it funny that you'd discount a reporter simply because she's not a home town lacky, or Packer beat writer.

back to her comment, anyone who thinks Love is a sure thing should listen to her, and be patient with Love.

you and others here paint me as a Rodgers defender, when all along I think I've been one of Loves biggest supporters, and the very best thing for Love was not being rushed to start because it probably would have ruined him as it does for most QB's

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
11 May 2023 11:09
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 May 2023 10:49
Yoop wrote:

quit using extremes to pigeon hole others into extended arguments, never said any of that, it's a long list read whomever you want.
No extremes on my end. In response to the list, you said that they come off as very biased at times... Your own words. Who are we to follow that is not very biased?
I just find it funny that you'd discount a reporter simply because she's not a home town lacky, or Packer beat writer.
I didn't. I simply found it interesting that the reporter in New Jersey would be given more weight compared to our own writers at home and used to try and paint a bleak picture.