#4 WR

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who steps up?

Toure
50%
Wicks
30%
Dubose
13%
Melton
7%
Cotton
No votes
Heath
No votes

Total votes: 30

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

im very interested to see Reed with my own eyes against other NFL players. His speed is an issue to me. Ive always thought if you didnt have great size, you better have great quickness/speed. I tried to dismiss what my eyes saw with Amari Rodgers, and my eyes eventually proved to be right.

I think I will know pretty quickly what kind of potential Reed has. You cant overcome not being able to get in and out of breaks quickly when you are small.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
17 May 2023 13:47
im very interested to see Reed with my own eyes against other NFL players. His speed is an issue to me. Ive always thought if you didnt have great size, you better have great quickness/speed. I tried to dismiss what my eyes saw with Amari Rodgers, and my eyes eventually proved to be right.

I think I will know pretty quickly what kind of potential Reed has. You cant overcome not being able to get in and out of breaks quickly when you are small.
I agree. For the 1,000th time, I see Greg Jennings when I watch his college film. Greg Jennings never had elite speed but he sure had elite quickness and suddenness. I still don't get how people can watch Reed and think Randall Cobb is a better comparison.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
17 May 2023 14:10
Drj820 wrote:

I agree. For the 1,000th time, I see Greg Jennings when I watch his college film. Greg Jennings never had elite speed but he sure had elite quickness and suddenness. I still don't get how people can watch Reed and think Randall Cobb is a better comparison.
I just watched 4 high lights of Touri, our defenders hardly even tried to cover him on a long TD on fan night, Bufflalo the same thing on a 37 yrd TD from Rodgers, and another TD in the corner which was a nice catch I think from Love.

I may have judged him harshly yesterday, but my point is our coaches saw how easy some of those catches where to, and thats the biggest reason he only got 120 snaps during a season when so many others lost games to injury or poor play like Watkins, Touri should have gotten a couple hundred more snaps, that makes me think #4 is a high bar for Touri, specially since we also have Reed and Wicks now, two players with much higher rankings coming in.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
17 May 2023 14:24
NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I just watched 4 high lights of Touri, our defenders hardly even tried to cover him on a long TD on fan night, Bufflalo the same thing on a 37 yrd TD from Rodgers, and another TD in the corner which was a nice catch I think from Love.

I may have judged him harshly yesterday, but my point is our coaches saw how easy some of those catches where to, and thats the biggest reason he only got 120 snaps during a season when so many others lost games to injury or poor play like Watkins, Touri should have gotten a couple hundred more snaps, that makes me think #4 is a high bar for Touri, specially since we also have Reed and Wicks now, two players with much higher rankings coming in.
You responded to a post where I was talking about Reed and you spelt Toure's name wrong. With little due respect, I don't care what you think on this subject.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
17 May 2023 14:31
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

You responded to a post where I was talking about Reed and you spelt Toure's name wrong. With little due respect, I don't care what you think on this subject.
excuse me then

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I don’t really see any of Amari’s issues in Reed, so I’m not super into that comparison.

But I also don’t see Jennings, either. Jennings’ releases were so immediate, so clean, so special. When I think of Jennings comps, I think of the line of scrimmage. I think Reed is perfectly good at separation—NFL-caliber. But his releases don’t look like Jennings at all to me.

I don’t know why a couple people are so annoyed by aCobb comparison when both guys were almost exactly the same size, point returners, played primarily in the slot, and seemed to have a “clutch” gene. They both played for miss-tier programs in power 5 conferences.

Cobb and Reed both weighed 191 and had 33.5 inch vertical leaps. They had short shuttles off 4.34 and 4.29. Jennings was 4.16 with an elite 3-cone (6.88—Reed didn’t run the 3-cone).

Jennings is half an inch taller than Reed who is half an inch taller than Cobb. All three ran 4,45/4.46 40s.

You can make a case for either measurably, but Cobb is virtually identical. And I don’t see Jennings’ defining trait evident in Reed off the bat.

But I also think the issue with Cobb comparisons is thinking of Cobb as less athletic than he was in his Prime/early years. This is a guy who has a nearly 1,300 yard season as a WR2 in his 4th year. He has nearly 1,000 yards in tear two as a slot. So it’s not like Cobb comparisons are any kind of slight

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 May 2023 15:10
But I also don’t see Jennings, either. Jennings’ releases were so immediate, so clean, so special. When I think of Jennings comps, I think of the line of scrimmage. I think Reed is perfectly good at separation—NFL-caliber. But his releases don’t look like Jennings at all to me.
Jennings releases didn't look like that in 2006, either. It will take some time, but the suddenness is what convinces me he can get there. Cobb never had that as a route runner. I don't even know how to describe Cobb, but another key distinction I want to make is I see Reed and Jennings as more similar at the catch point than Cobb. Stronger hands, more tools to get to the football.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
17 May 2023 15:14
YoHoChecko wrote:
17 May 2023 15:10
Jennings releases didn't look like that in 2006, either. It will take some time, but the suddenness is what convinces me he can get there. Cobb never had that as a route runner. I don't even know how to describe Cobb, but another key distinction I want to make is I see Reed and Jennings as more similar at the catch point than Cobb. Stronger hands, more tools to get to the football.
Huh. I really felt Jennings did have a natural feel for his release immediately. It’s why he was able to translate to the game so quickly.

I feel like some of the things you use to distinguish between Reed and Cobb are things that I also saw in Cobb, who as I said was a really good player early in his career.

As far as the catch point, I sort of agree in that he’s different than Cobb. I think Reed is more physical and competitive at the catch point than either Cobb or Jennings.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
17 May 2023 14:31
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

Not very nice

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I understand you’ve made this comparison 1000 times, I’m just saying I’m gonna with hold judgement until I see how quick he looks against nfl competition

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Greg Jennings did have elite speed and a great release. Jennings was one of the best receivers in the league. He doesn't look like Jennings.

He is much more like Cobb. He lacks separation ability. He definitely going to need a accurate qb.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
17 May 2023 16:42
Greg Jennings did have elite speed and a great release. Jennings was one of the best receivers in the league. He doesn't look like Jennings.

He is much more like Cobb. He lacks separation ability. He definitely going to need a accurate qb.
See this is what drives me crazy.

Like, RANDALL COBB WAS GOOD AT SEPARATING? He was a Pro Bowl receiver in this league. He got open and beat the Bears every chance he got.

How short are our memories that we insist on remembering him as the guy we saw getting dinged up and having his explosion sapped from 2016 to 2018 on, rather than the guy who lit it up from 2012 to 2014?

Comparisons to Randall Cobb should not be used as an insult. He was an excellent draft pick and player (and he actually had a mini-resurgence when he left, 800 yards for a slot receiver in Dallas, so don't give me anything about how Rodgers can make anyone look good)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Cobb was great through his first contract. He decline was sudden though because he already didn’t have elite speed or size.

He was always a very smart player. That’s the only reason he got open after his body declined.

But heck ya, Cobb was a good player for 4-5 years in the league.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

What if I told you that Randall Cobb's career high in yards was 1,287 compared to Jennings' 1,292?

Cobb and Jennings' career high in TDs in a season were both 12?

And Cobb's five best reception seasons had 91, 80, 79, 66, and 60 catches;
while Jennings' 5 best seasons were 80, 76, 68, 68, and 67 catches.

These are two guys who both performed well, though differently, and in different roles, at their peaks. Neither comparison is an insult.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I think Reed compares better to Jennings than to Cobb. And Reed is faster, though not sure about quickness. Reed has a lot of potential, played against better competition, and blew up the senior bowl practices (like Jennings).

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

[mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] Cobb isn't bad he just isn't jennings.

Jennings was a true 1 on the outside. Cobb was a good slot. X receiver is just much more important.

Reed looks more like a Cobb on tape.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Not sure where this Cobb wasn't fast is coming from. He ran a 10.75 100 meters in high school. Injuries took away his speed.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
17 May 2023 15:47
NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I understand you’ve made this comparison 1000 times, I’m just saying I’m gonna with hold judgement until I see how quick he looks against nfl competition
I always appreciate when people say I will withhold judgement. It's boring but it's honest.

However, I also appreciate NCF and Yoho give comparisons so I can either expand or validate my current feelings.

I hate Randall Cobb comparisons (not that it's wrong) because people can't remember 2012 - 2014 Randall Cobb. No matter how hard we try, we can only think of slow, overpaid Randall Cobb.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 May 2023 07:40
Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

I always appreciate when people say I will withhold judgement. It's boring but it's honest.

However, I also appreciate NCF and Yoho give comparisons so I can either expand or validate my current feelings.

I hate Randall Cobb comparisons (not that it's wrong) because people can't remember 2012 - 2014 Randall Cobb. No matter how hard we try, we can only think of slow, overpaid Randall Cobb.
maybe you forgot, other here saw Cobb as a very polished route runner from his first practice and PS games, I remember saying it back then that Cobb should have played more as a rookie, but we where stacked with receiver talent then, I love Donald Driver as much as anyone, but he was taking snaps away from younger talent.

I think it's hard ( as others have said) to compare these receivers because of differing schemes and coaches, and defenses in there era

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
18 May 2023 09:22
go pak go wrote:
18 May 2023 07:40
Drj820 wrote:

maybe you forgot, other here saw Cobb as a very polished route runner from his first practice and PS games, I remember saying it back then that Cobb should have played more as a rookie, but we where stacked with receiver talent then, I love Donald Driver as much as anyone, but he was taking snaps away from younger talent.

I think it's hard ( as others have said) to compare these receivers because of differing schemes and coaches, and defenses in there era
I never forgot 2012 - 2014 Cobb. I never said I forgot.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.