Love SZN: Official Thread of QB1.

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

So what happens if Love gets hurt for a month or so, we just gonna forfeit those games?

Even if we are planning on bringing in foles or wentz all along, I’d rather get them in the building.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
19 May 2023 15:14
So what happens if Love gets hurt for a month or so, we just gonna forfeit those games?

Even if we are planning on bringing in foles or wentz all along, I’d rather get them in the building.
Neither of those guys would have any kind of rapport with the WR's or TE's. No available veteran QB is a permanent part of the Packers' future. The smartest thing to do would be to give Clifford some experience and hope that the D can hold the other team to 10 points and the Packers new placekicker does not decide to choke.

Would not hurt either if ST gives Nixon great blocking and he makes the right cut.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:

I think you use it to benefit a developmental guy, be it Clifford or whoever.

I don't think there's a realistic shot at a SB THIS year even if Love stays healthy. First year starter, lots of youth, yada yada yada. Let the growing pains and injuries happen while letting the roster grow and develop with future players, not retread QBs who will likely lose the same as the youngsters.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just go wildcat with Jayden Reed and Luke Musgrave alternating as the lead QBs.

They don't know the offense so no one will know what's coming.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:

What do you think we should do?

Spend cap to bring in a vet, or in case of Love being injured or failing bad, go for the high 2024 draft pick?

Personally, I like option 2

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
19 May 2023 18:54
Drj820 wrote:

Spend cap to bring in a vet, or in case of Love being injured or failing bad, go for the high 2024 draft pick?

Guess it depends on season expectations. I think we literally have every piece needed to be “decent” and compete in a bad division, so I’d probably like a decent vet. Especially one to help Love see the field the way a vet sees the field.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
19 May 2023 19:27
salmar80 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Guess it depends on season expectations. I think we literally have every piece needed to be “decent” and compete in a bad division, so I’d probably like a decent vet. Especially one to help Love see the field the way a vet sees the field.
That is the QB coach's job. If you want to bring in a second QB coach, fine. But if you expect a competent veteran QB to come in and help Love without any personal ambition to win a SB as the starter, you don't understand human nature - and that is the definition of a locker room disaster that could ruin Love's career. Not to mention that any competent veteran QB is going to cause salary cap problems. For better or worse, healthy or hurt, the Packers are stuck with Love this season.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

salmar80 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Yeah I hate this. What if we are like 6-4 (not unrealistic with our schedule) and Love gets something where he’s out like 2-5 weeks. I’d rather not spoil our season for that reason.

Bring in someone real. Doesn’t have to break our bank, but we need someone. Matt Ryan still my leading contender.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I get such a kick out of his “P.S.”

Like “hey teams, please still call my agent”

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
20 May 2023 08:49
salmar80 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Yeah I hate this. What if we are like 6-4 (not unrealistic with our schedule) and Love gets something where he’s out like 2-5 weeks. I’d rather not spoil our season for that reason.

Bring in someone real. Doesn’t have to break our bank, but we need someone. Matt Ryan still my leading contender.
Avet QB like Ryan would also benefit our scout team practices and Clifford would also learn from his play, the QB coach can't do everything

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
20 May 2023 09:39
BF004 wrote:
20 May 2023 08:49
salmar80 wrote:

Avet QB like Ryan would also benefit our scout team practices and Clifford would also learn from his play, the QB coach can't do everything
Clifford needs snaps. Ryan would take them away. And then a year later Clifford would still have no experience and Ryan will be gone. And personally, I think Ryan is washed up and would not win any more games than Clifford would.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

How long do you give Love until you determine yay or nay?

I think a fair shot would be a full season and 2-3 games the next season.

Obviously if he looks horrible than the Packers will probably use a high draft pick next year on a QB. But I don’t think that will happen. Love has already showed some talent during the Eagles game.

I really don’t care if statistically he throws more interceptions than Rodgers as long as the Packers are winning. If the Packers are down by 2 TDs in the middle of the 4th quarter and he throws an int or 2, well at least he tried and Love could end up with more come from behind wins than Rodgers.

I really can’t wait for the start of the season.
Last edited by Foosball on 21 May 2023 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Love is the answer…

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Personally I want to bring in a bunch of minimum salary vets for the rest of the offseason and training camp and then cut them at roster cutdown day like a savage. Thanks for your time. Our young guys learned a lot from having you around. But we’re going young and you don’t fit. Adios.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Love didn’t even get on the field his entire first year. He was in the booth or street clothes. Clifford is way behind love In year one. Clifford is not a competent QB2 at the moment unless you really do plan to just tank it out.

We need a vet who is capable QB2 this year and can be a sound board and mental sage to love and Clifford. Then next year Love can be that role to Clifford and we will have no need for a vet, and Clifford should be ready to be QB2 full on backup.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
21 May 2023 13:10
Love didn’t even get on the field his entire first year. He was in the booth or street clothes. Clifford is way behind love In year one. Clifford is not a competent QB2 at the moment unless you really do plan to just tank it out.

We need a vet who is capable QB2 this year and can be a sound board and mental sage to love and Clifford. Then next year Love can be that role to Clifford and we will have no need for a vet, and Clifford should be ready to be QB2 full on backup.
If the Packers do that Clifford will get zero meaningful snaps in the preseason. Love will need some. Whoever that vet (s) is/are, they will take the rest. Clifford will be lucky to get half of the 4th quarter behind an Oline none of which will make the 53.

Those so called minimum veteran's cap players are has been's or never was's. Most are no longer able to run. Others either never had a good arm or have damaged it. At least Clifford is mobile and can run for his life and can in theory make tough throws. If Love goes down none of those vets will be significantly better than Clifford and all of them will hurt the team and both Love and Clifford if Love does not get hurt. All of the vets will subconsciously want Love to fail so they can start - it is their last chance. Clifford on the other hand will want Love to succeed, and from his draft description is super smart and a team player. Clifford will know that he is better off if Love succeeds and he does not get thrown to the wolves.

Worst case for that vet is that he is a locker room cancer and sets Love back with bad advice and results in a wasted year for Clifford.

Worst case for Clifford is that the Packers pick in the top 5 of the draft next year if Love gets hurt.

Best case for either is that the Packers win half the games with a backup QB.

There is a .01% chance that any vet will be a sounding board or mental sage. Sorry, human nature does not work that way, men are motivated by ambition and envy and anyone competitive enough to get to the NFL in the first place as a QB are doubly motivated in this way.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:

How much cap would you be willing to spend on that competent vet backup?

The problem is the word "competent". The QBs that project to be backups, and who aren't utter trash, will cost us. Jameis Winston is making 4M. I don't think Matty Ice would settle for anything less than 5-7M for the year. That's a mid-level FA in 2024 free agency...

I'd like mid-level FAs in 2024...

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
21 May 2023 14:27
Drj820 wrote:

How much cap would you be willing to spend on that competent vet backup?

The problem is the word "competent". The QBs that project to be backups, and who aren't utter trash, will cost us. Jameis Winston is making 4M. I don't think Matty Ice would settle for anything less than 5-7M for the year. That's a mid-level FA in 2024 free agency...

I'd like mid-level FAs in 2024...
5 million or less

My top target would be champion of high character: nick foles

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

While I see the value of a guy like Matt Ryan or Nick Foles in the QB room and wouldn't hate it, Love has already had the opportunity to learn from a vet who has seen it all, and the last we saw of Ryan and other guys like him, I doubt they would be appreciably more successful than a wildcard QB nobody has seen get a lot of playing time, like Clifford or heck Etling.

We didn't have a vet QB in the year we started Rodgers, either. The only QBs we brought in since 2008 with more years of experience than Rodgers that I can think of are Seneca Wallace and Vince Young.

My dad went to med-school overseas and his professors instilled into him the idea of "see one, do one, teach one." Love got to see, and got to do a lot of practice, scout team, and a little on-the-field action.

Now it's time for him to be the one who teaches the young guys (and ofc to give him more to 'do'). That may be better for his development now.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I don't remember fans, or really anyone, saying we should get a veteran backup in 2008. Same situation.

Favre's first backups: Detmer (1993 & 1995) and Brunell (1994).

Wentz? Foles? Eww, no, I'd rather have Kurt Benkert. Matt Ryan I would be okay with, but I really would prefer to sink or swim with young guys and rookies.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I think that Love has every reason to succeed in every game, at least for the first 50 minutes. He knows the playbook. He has the physical skills. The game has hopefully slowed down for him already. The playbook will be simple at first. And the expectations are going to be reasonable. If Love fails to meet expectations, i think that’ll come in 2025, not 2024.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!