Video Game Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Video Game Thread

Post by Gunzaan »

I believe we have a few gamers around so I figured I’d start a place to post about what you’re playing, what upcoming games you are excited about and any other recommendations/discussions.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Games I’ve played in 2020:

- Ghost of Tsushima (currently playing)
- MLB The Show
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake
- FF7 (played the original after I beat the remake ;) )
- Nioh 2 (Favorite game of the year)
- The Last of Us 2
- Astral Chain
- Fell Seal
- Death Stranding
- Pillars of Eternity 2
- Gordon’s Quest
- Wildermyth
- Card games like Slay the Spire, Hearthstone, LoR, Cultist Simulator

I use my PS4 and Switch all the time, I occasionally use my PC to game. I’m eagerly awaiting the launch of PS5.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

FF7 Remake, Nioh 2 and Ghost of Tsushima are by far my games of the year so far. Each of them are really special in their own unique way. I’m sure Cyberpunk will be on the 2020 list for me as well.

RPGs are my wheelhouse - especially strategic RPGs and JRPGs.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

PC only for me.

Red Dead Redemption 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Those are the 2 I have been playing the most over the last few months.

Games I have played lately or will get back to:
The Battlefield Series
Rainbow Six: Siege
RTS games, mostly Age of Empires (looking forward to 4, if it even comes out)
Golf with Friends
Dying Light

Started with Wolfenstein 3D & Doom 1/2 all the way to today. The original Counterstrike (not GO) was probably my most played game by far.

Can't get into turned based games. Have tried, but never kept me interested.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

The original counterstrike is the best multiplayer FPS ever - and not for nostalgia reasons. It was just the smoothest with the most balance and great maps!

RDR2 got some hate, but I loved the slow burn to that game.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Don't really play anything anymore, but when I do have time it's PC only.

Total War Warhammer 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Used to be avid Battlefield player, but skipped out on the latest release.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Oh, and if I'm drunk enough Team Fortress 2.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Working my way through Mega Man III.

Stuck on a level on Lolo III as well at the moment.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
13 Aug 2020 14:46
Made some money off TF2 selling collectibles. Stop quite some time ago though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
13 Aug 2020 14:48

Playing Luigi's Mansion III the second time through. Just made it back through the original Lolo, again. So much easier than the other two games. Had the old XBox out about a year ago and started playing Gauntlet Legends, again. That might have been my favorite game ever.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Gunzaan wrote:
13 Aug 2020 14:42
The original counterstrike is the best multiplayer FPS ever - and not for nostalgia reasons. It was just the smoothest with the most balance and great maps!

RDR2 got some hate, but I loved the slow burn to that game.
Custom skins, custom maps, was always getting updates. It has definitely aged, but you are right, so very balanced and no game has come close to it since.

I played GTAV Online for a long while as well, but that got grindy. I am sure RDR2 will get that way, but it is much slower paced, but surprisingly fun. I am glad Rockstar finally showed it some love with an update.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Aug 2020 14:57
TheGreenMan wrote:
Yeah I bet. Still has a very large player base though!
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
13 Aug 2020 15:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
I really liked the it before they made it crazy with all the crafting and stuff. It got so you were chasing weapons and upgrades instead of playing the game. I was into the original TF back in the day. Started with Half-life multiplayer, moved to TF, moved to CS, added in Day of Defeat. Half-life games and mods took up way too much of my time back then!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
13 Aug 2020 15:13
BF004 wrote:
13 Aug 2020 14:48

Playing Luigi's Mansion III the second time through. Just made it back through the original Lolo, again. So much easier than the other two games. Had the old XBox out about a year ago and started playing Gauntlet Legends, again. That might have been my favorite game ever.
Lolo 2 isn't as fun as the other two. A little more speed oriented, running from things chasing you. 1 & 3 a lot more fun and geared more to deep thinking puzzles. Lolo isn't meant to be an action game.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

You 2D gamers might like Dead Cells.. a fantastic game that keeps getting updates and new content too.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

im on ps4. I just replayed TLOU. I love pretty much all things Naughty Dog. Love TLOU, Uncharted series, and even the Crash remake.

The PS4 exclusives made the console iconic for me. I loved God of War and the Spiderman game. I also enjoyed Red Dead 2 for a while and throughout my gaming history i have loved the metal gear solid series.

Red dead 2 may have been a little buggy, but i thought the story was incredible. I love games where you are like the main character in a movie and you play the movie the game creator directs. If done with enough skill, i prefer that over a focus on open world. Red dead to me was a perfect blend because it provided hours in the open world, while also including a major focus on the story mode.

I used to play some first person shooters like Modern Warfare 2 and 3. I got really good at them, but suck at most of the rest. I also buy Madden every other year and wear it out.

Thanks for that recommendation for Ghost [mention]Gunzaan[/mention] , I was deciding between that or TLOU2 to start next. Covid has put a hurtin on my income so I was holding off for a bit, and then only going to get one of them for now. I have a friend who loves TLOU2 even tho i hear the story takes a odd direction.

So basically Im going to get one or the other soon, and then wait until business picks up for the other. Would love to hear even deeper non spoiler reviews of those two games if you would like sometime!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

If you really love TLOU, #2 is great. I did and really enjoyed #2.. I just didn’t like the story. The LGTQXY stuff didn’t bother me, I just didn’t like what they did with the characters I grew to love in the first game. That said, the gameplay is awesome, the graphics/environment is AAA.

Ghost is amazing.. part assassins creed (the good parts from the first few games) but it’s also part red dead (the open world of it). I’ll also admit to being bias to samurai games. I love love love Sekiro and Nioh. If you love games that play like a movie, this is it. The creators purposefully pay homage to samurai movies. The duels are straight out of the old movies.

If your curious, TLOU2 is a 25-30 hour game. Ghost is 45-55 hours.

You can’t go wrong with either game.. pick up one now and one on a deal during the holiday season! Both of them are worth it.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Aug 2020 15:38
TheGreenMan wrote:
13 Aug 2020 15:34
Pckfn23 wrote:

I really liked the it before they made it crazy with all the crafting and stuff. It got so you were chasing weapons and upgrades instead of playing the game. I was into the original TF back in the day. Started with Half-life multiplayer, moved to TF, moved to CS, added in Day of Defeat. Half-life games and mods took up way too much of my time back then!
I agree with the crafting stuff/items in TF2, however it did give it it's charm so.

I also was into the Half-life multiplayer. I played a lot of that in college.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

What is a video game? Haven't played regularly in at least 5 or 6 years. It was sad when I realized video games were no longer much fun. Occasionally will get in a few Mario Kart races.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

wallyuwl wrote:
14 Aug 2020 21:01
What is a video game? Haven't played regularly in at least 5 or 6 years. It was sad when I realized video games were no longer much fun. Occasionally will get in a few Mario Kart races.
There are so many types of games... mysteries, interactive novels, card games, any kind of simulator you can imagine, hunting, party games, etc etc. There are so many indie developers making any type of game imaginable.

On that note, the new flight simulator looks freaking amazing.