Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Cowherd floats a Davante Adams trade to the Jets, for reasons you can read in the article:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/co ... 45e9&ei=16

That alone isn't reason for me sharing because people have been speculating that for a while now, and I don't see it for a host of reasons.

But this part was crazy/ridiculous:
Colin Cowherd: " (....) Look at the Jets schedule, if they’re struggling early it’s not going to be the defense, it’s not going to be the pass rush, it’s not going to be the run-game, it’s not Aaron Rodgers, it’s a lack of weapons. Would the Jets be interested in Davante Adams pre or around the trade deadline?”
Okay, I knew this would happen. I knew exactly that people would ridiculously try to make the argument that the Jets(!) don't have enough weapons for Rodgers if the team doesn't win games...

... but this is even more insane than what I expected. Someone as prominent as Cowherd, saying it IN MAY, to preemptively scapegoat an actually good group far ahead of the games actually being played? Holy &%$@ the excuses for this guy truly know no bounds. :thwap: :messedup:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Labrev wrote:
25 May 2023 10:20
Cowherd floats a Davante Adams trade to the Jets, for reasons you can read in the article:

That alone isn't reason for me sharing because people have been speculating that for a while now, and I don't see it for a host of reasons.

Colin Cowherd: " (....) Look at the Jets schedule, if they’re struggling early it’s not going to be the defense, it’s not going to be the pass rush, it’s not going to be the run-game, it’s not Aaron Rodgers, it’s a lack of weapons. Would the Jets be interested in Davante Adams pre or around the trade deadline?”
Okay, I knew this would happen. I knew exactly that people would ridiculously try to make the argument that the Jets(!) don't have enough weapons for Rodgers if the team doesn't win games...

... but this is even more insane than what I expected. Someone as prominent as Cowherd, saying it IN MAY, to preemptively scapegoat an actually good group far ahead of the games actually being played? Holy &%$@ the excuses for this guy truly know no bounds. :thwap: :messedup:
I can't see your rationale for this one. Cowherd has never been a fan of Rodgers and would never make excuses for Rodgers. You've made it pretty clear that you don't like Rodgers and I get that. But Cowherd floats stupid ideas all the time to get more publicity and trying to set up a future "I told you so" if it possibly pans out (which most don't).

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
25 May 2023 10:20

I have been quite steadfast for a while that the Jets surrounding talent on O is a noticeable step down from the Packers from 2019-2021. Aaron doesn’t win MVPs from will power, he is the main catalyst, but it takes a special group to all get there.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

DeAndre Hopkins just released. I don't know that he fits into what we are trying to do, but interested to see what his market is.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 May 2023 20:42

:aok:
And tomorrow’s headline, guy who says he doesn’t care about money signs largest contract in NFL history.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Madcity_matt wrote:
26 May 2023 13:08
DeAndre Hopkins just released. I don't know that he fits into what we are trying to do, but interested to see what his market is.
He apparently said on a recent podcast that he's looking for a great defense/defensive line, in addition to a few other things.

Doubt we'd be on that short list until we prove otherwise.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2023 13:15
Madcity_matt wrote:
He apparently said on a recent podcast that he's looking for a great defense/defensive line, in addition to a few other things.

I’m sure there will be plenty of interest from perceived contenders now that the contract is not in play. Injury and PED history aside.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

He said he wanted a stable management, a quarterback who loves the game, and a great defense.

Well... Our management is bedrock stable, we have a QB who not only loves the game, but IS Love, and the D should be great with all the investment put into it....

But he was explicit with his QB wish list: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, and Justin Herbert.

Would love to see him paired with Watson, but not gonna happen.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Cards just released DHop after failing to trade him.

Should we make a go at him?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
26 May 2023 13:36
YoHoChecko wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

He said he wanted a stable management, a quarterback who loves the game, and a great defense.

Well... Our management is bedrock stable, we have a QB who not only loves the game, but IS Love, and the D should be great with all the investment put into it....

But he was explicit with his QB wish list: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, and Justin Herbert.

I do wonder, with the trade of Rodgers, if Green Bay is now inching closer to the 80s. During those days, very few elite players wanted anything to do with the Packers. Then, Reggie, Favre, and a winning record changed things.

We’ve had some benefit for about almost 30 years now. But with no elite QB, an under-achieving defense, and a HC that needs to prove that he can win without Rodgers…
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Scott4Pack wrote:
26 May 2023 14:07
salmar80 wrote:
26 May 2023 13:36
YoHoChecko wrote:

I do wonder, with the trade of Rodgers, if Green Bay is now inching closer to the 80s. During those days, very few elite players wanted anything to do with the Packers. Then, Reggie, Favre, and a winning record changed things.

We’ve had some benefit for about almost 30 years now. But with no elite QB, an under-achieving defense, and a HC that needs to prove that he can win without Rodgers…
It's a valid question, IMO.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I think things are a bit different now, where players have their GB home and then their 2nd home wherever they came from. Seems like less of an issue now, and if Jordan Love is above average and we continue to field a competitive team, then I don't think we'd get back to those dark ages again.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Acrobat wrote:
26 May 2023 14:27
I think things are a bit different now, where players have their GB home and then their 2nd home wherever they came from. Seems like less of an issue now, and if Jordan Love is above average and we continue to field a competitive team, then I don't think we'd get back to those dark ages again.
Also, we didn't sign a single top-tier, top-of-the-market UFA (except our own) during all of AR's tenure. That's unlikely to change. I can't remember a single occasion of AR luring in a big fish...

And before you jump on that, we got Charles Woodson on a bargain since others thought he was washed up, and the Smiths paled in comparison with top-tier Khalil Mack's deal.

We may not look as sexy for an older player looking for a ring as before, but that's a small percentage of available players.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Scott4Pack wrote:
26 May 2023 14:07
How many elite players came here with Rodgers? And how are we defining "elite"?

The 80's was a totally different situation, though. It was already preceded by a decade of losing, bad coaching decisions, mismanagement by the board of directors, lack of investment in facilities, and more importantly, it was before free-agency/salary caps.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Reggie White came to Green Bay I’m literally the first season of real free agency. Literally as long as players have had the power to move teams, elite players have been coming.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Guys will come to GB. We just have to overpay them
If they have any kind of market at all. Just like how we got P, Z, and Amos. All said we made an offer that stopped their looking around.

Issue is we just usually only want to give team friendly deals or fair deals at most, which isn’t inherently bad.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Free Agency didn't exist until 1993 so saying that Green Bay didn't attract big name players in the 80s as a reason why we didn't succeed isn't on point.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
26 May 2023 14:38
Acrobat wrote:
Also, we didn't sign a single top-tier, top-of-the-market UFA (except our own) during all of AR's tenure. That's unlikely to change. I can't remember a single occasion of AR luring in a big fish...

And before you jump on that, we got Charles Woodson on a bargain since others thought he was washed up, and the Smiths paled in comparison with top-tier Khalil Mack's deal.

We may not look as sexy for an older player looking for a ring as before, but that's a small percentage of available players.
Both Favre and Rodgers drew interest from big name players, our GM's just wouldn't pay the asking prices

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2023 15:25
salmar80 wrote:
26 May 2023 14:38
Acrobat wrote:

Both Favre and Rodgers drew interest from big name players, our GM's just wouldn't pay the asking prices
Tough, but fair.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »