2023 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I can see it with RB's, if there very good there over used and teams are scared to pay them top money.

TE is a position on the rise, often though, at least in the past TE was a blocking position, rather then pay a second contract fortune, teams just start over, TE is a after thought position simply because teams feature WR in there passing schemes, but that is now changing, some of the best teams in the league have receiving TE's that play a huge roll in there passing schemes.

Lber is a lot harder position to do well as a 3 down lber, teams that have good ones hold onto them, the reason so many don't get second contracts is because they are 2 down run pluggers and rotate out on passing downs because they become a liability in coverage.

good news for us and Meyers, last years decline seems like mostly a whole OL thing and a anomaly, center is basically a none miss draft position, I expect Meyers will bounce back strong.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I just want to throw it here, for posterity, that one of my primary issues--if not the primary issue--with draft coverage is that it has become too pick-based and not enough class-based or big picture.

Almost all the networks now have "pick by pick" analysis or grades. Most of the reviews go through a class and ask analysts to name "the player/pick that stands out to them" where you list a guy you like or a guy you didn't like.

Not enough wholistic "the team had X objectives to accomplish and they set about it through this overall class." Not enough stylistic or theoretical review, like "was there a theme to this class or a takeaway we can learn about the team from this overall class." The only team getting coverage at all like that is the Colts with their penchant for ultra-athletes, and occasionally the Eagles with "use free agency to go into the draft ready to play a game to add flexibility to your draft picks."

Anyway, just a thought that bugs me. Too much focus on picks. Not enough on classes. Not enough big picture and whole-team analysis.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
04 May 2023 19:42
I hope to someday get to the point in my career where I can do something like that.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
04 May 2023 19:42
Nothing wrong with that. Keeping the Jets down makes it a lot easier for the Pats to make the playoffs. I'd expect the Packers to do the same to Da Bears

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I was so happy when Pittsburgh traded up and took Jones. Last top OL right before the Jets picks.

I absolutely believe this.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Packers' draft improved their betting odds to win the North, +410 pre-draft to +330, just ahead of MIN and DET (both +350).

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/nfl ... north-odds

Empty WR and TE rooms was a big weight on our odds, but our draft helped address that concern, albeit with unproven guys.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
05 May 2023 02:50
Nothing wrong with that. Keeping the Jets down makes it a lot easier for the Pats to make the playoffs. I'd expect the Packers to do the same to Da Bears
I kinda wish NE didn't so NYJ could take Jones and he'd play well enough to shore up T, then people wouldn't be able to make this excuse for Rodgers (not without looking silly, at any rate).

Or maybe they should be attacking the Jets FO for "sitting on their hands" (a favorite saying of some Packer fans) rather than getting Rodgers the HALP he needs.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Would so love to be a fly on the wall, in like any draft room.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I do wonder, though, if the “that’s a good one” was a comment in our draft pick, or in the fact that we picked someone who was not their target. Like was the context “that’s a good pick” or “that pick is good for us”?

Earlier in the video, he seemed to predict that we’d take McDonald, who was their ultimate pick.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 May 2023 09:33
I do wonder, though, if the “that’s a good one” was a comment in our draft pick, or in the fact that we picked someone who was not their target. Like was the context “that’s a good pick” or “that pick is good for us”?

Earlier in the video, he seemed to predict that we’d take McDonald, who was their ultimate pick.
Face value most likely. He’s just a good pick at that point in the draft, whether we pick him. I’d say he’s saying it like he admires the athlete.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 May 2023 12:56
YoHoChecko wrote:
27 May 2023 09:33

Face value most likely. He’s just a good pick at that point in the draft, whether we pick him. I’d say he’s saying it like he admires the athlete.
That's how I took it too. Similar in my fantasy drafts where people shout out "Nice pick" except I immediately make note of who said it so I can potentially bait them with a trade later on.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I took it that way too; I just wondered if I am preordained to interpret it that way because he’s a player on my favorite tan so I want to take it that way.

But this was validating. Thanks for the replies

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Salah says McDonald was there guy all along, if ya buy that I got a pond in the middle of the salt flats ya might be interested in :lol: I think the whole reason Douglas balked at switching picks with us is because he would miss on one of the top 4 tackles, probably had a inkling NE would get trade offers to jump them for one, which did happen, likely he had a list of 2nd choices and McDonald was on it, even though many had McDonald ranked late 1 or early 2nd round.

when he said LVN was a good pick, and then to take McDonald 2 picks later, leads me to believe LVN was also a second choice player on that list and probably higher on it then McDonald, heck the whole football world figured there first pick would go OL, including Douglas.

when Pittsburg came a calling Billy B was more then happy to oblige them and put the screws to the team he's had a personal grudge with for many years

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
08 Jun 2023 10:48
was that Musgrave Grondkowski was hyping?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
27 May 2023 08:10
Would so love to be a fly on the wall, in like any draft room.

https://www.teamworkonline.com/football ... rn-2045240

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The real-time conversations involving the Cardinals/Texans as they worked through compensation for the No. 3 pick. Interesting stuff.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Both of those videos are super cool. thanks!