Rodgers Traded

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I have newfound respect for Mark Murphy. Not only did he successfully bring the draft to GB, but he didn't budge under AR's pressure in 2021 to fire Gutey or to trade AR, even managed defuse the situation for 2 years.

The QB getting the power to choose GMs... That woulda been a real #¤%& show.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

salmar80 wrote:
31 May 2023 09:06
I have newfound respect for Mark Murphy. Not only did he successfully bring the draft to GB, but he didn't budge under AR's pressure in 2021 to fire Gutey or to trade AR, even managed defuse the situation for 2 years.

Yeah and I know it seems like a no brainer to not cave, but not every fan base can say that. Kudos to Murphy

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

salmar80 wrote:

So Murphy knew Rodgers was disgruntled and wanted out or he wanted the GM gone early in 2021.

And Murphy didn’t budge on trading Rodgers when his value was at its (Wilson like) peak in 2021 or 2022.

Instead, Murphy approved a huge extension for Rodgers in 2022.

And then Murphy finally acquiesced to trading Rodgers for a lesser return after an 8-9 2022 season.

If this is an accurate statement of the factual record, and I believe it is, my excitement for and anticipation of the July 1, 2025 ending of the Mark Murphy era of control of the Green Bay Packers organization has increased to a degree I did not anticipate was possible.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not going to say much about the article because I'm ready to move on from all this, but.... This was a chance for Rodgers to respond to stuff and make himself look good. He did the exact opposite. Sure, the Packers screwed up some stuff along the way. But Rodgers contradicts himself several times in this article and continues to do so with the things he's doing and saying while with the Jets.

He comes off as whiney, petty, and selfish all because the Packers wanted to continue acting like a successful football team (in the same way that gave him a shot). And no, he didn't have to like the drafting of Love. But his actions directly affected the Packers the rest of the way, for good (MVPs) and bad (everything else). If he wouldn't have acted the way he did, who knows how things would've been different (won't say we would have won extra :lombardi: , but its possible).

I hope, like Favre, it comes back around and everyone kisses and makes up. Though lets hope Rodgers doesn't follow the full Favre retirement plan. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

LombardiTime wrote:
31 May 2023 10:07
salmar80 wrote:

So Murphy knew Rodgers was disgruntled and wanted out or he wanted the GM gone early in 2021.

And Murphy didn’t budge on trading Rodgers when his value was at its (Wilson like) peak in 2021 or 2022.

And then Murphy finally acquiesced to trading Rodgers for a lesser return after an 8-9 2022 season.

If this is an accurate statement of the factual record, and I believe it is, my excitement for and anticipation of the July 1, 2025 ending of the Mark Murphy era of control of the Green Bay Packers organization has increased to a degree I did not anticipate was possible.
in hindsight, Murphy and all screwed up. But he still deserves kudos for continuing to run the Packers and not letting Rodgers do it. The Jets have decided to give him that power and it will likely be the wrong move. Apparently Joe Douglas and the rest of the Jets front office want a vacation.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
31 May 2023 10:10
LombardiTime wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

in hindsight, Murphy and all screwed up. But he still deserves kudos for continuing to run the Packers and not letting Rodgers do it. The Jets have decided to give him that power and it will likely be the wrong move. Apparently Joe Douglas and the rest of the Jets front office want a vacation.
The screw up is not trading him last off-season as some wanted, but that is somewhat hindsight. By extension, the extension was also a screw up. 2021 and how that played out was not the screw up. I acknowledge the screw up by Murphy and Gutekunst, but at the same time can see why they wanted to try it one more time. The contract situation should have tipped their hand toward a trade though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

NCF wrote:
31 May 2023 10:25
Haha I've been on the "Jennings is probably right but also an a$$hole for taking every opportunity possible to slam Rodgers" train for like a decade now.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 May 2023 10:27

The screw up is not trading him last off-season as some wanted, but that is somewhat hindsight. By extension, the extension was also a screw up. 2021 and how that played out was not the screw up. I acknowledge the screw up by Murphy and Gutekunst, but at the same time can see why they wanted to try it one more time. The contract situation should have tipped their hand toward a trade though.
To say that something is “somewhat hindsight” is to say that opinion wasn’t held before, but upon watching things turn out, it became easy to see why that prior opinion would have been best.”

But that’s not the case. First, Rodgers wanted a change—the contract is a choice against trading him. It is an alternative. So it showed fully in the moment that trade was a realistic outcome.

Second, dozens of very loud, informed people/fans called for it. When I say the team made a mistake by not trading Rodgers a year earlier, hindsight is simply my validating force. The opinion and rationale has been consistent.

Just because it was a risk doesn’t mean those who advocated for taking that risk are leaning on hindsight once the status quo blew up.

When you’re on the doorsteps of the championship and your star QB has a ballooning cap and basically says privately “make me the highest paid player in the league” while complaining publicly that the roster isn’t stepping up enough to his standards… You move that guy.

That guy isn’t going to be part of a championship for you. It’s done. His priorities and demands and public persona (in terms of throwing the team under the bus and currying favor as the victim of the Packers, not all the other stuff). It’s done.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

LombardiTime wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Yeah.....MM needs to be jettisoned ASAP. One Lombardi during his tenure is a fireable offense.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 May 2023 11:02
Pckfn23 wrote:

To say that something is “somewhat hindsight” is to say that opinion wasn’t held before, but upon watching things turn out, it became easy to see why that prior opinion would have been best.”

But that’s not the case. First, Rodgers wanted a change—the contract is a choice against trading him. It is an alternative. So it showed fully in the moment that trade was a realistic outcome.

Second, dozens of very loud, informed people/fans called for it. When I say the team made a mistake by not trading Rodgers a year earlier, hindsight is simply my validating force. The opinion and rationale has been consistent.

Just because it was a risk doesn’t mean those who advocated for taking that risk are leaning on hindsight once the status quo blew up.

When you’re on the doorsteps of the championship and your star QB has a ballooning cap and basically says privately “make me the highest paid player in the league” while complaining publicly that the roster isn’t stepping up enough to his standards… You move that guy.

That guy isn’t going to be part of a championship for you. It’s done. His priorities and demands and public persona (in terms of throwing the team under the bus and currying favor as the victim of the Packers, not all the other stuff). It’s done.
Why I say it is "somewhat hindsight" is that the outcome of the season in no way met expectations. Had the Packers gone to the NFCCG or SB, then it would have changed the perception of whether the extension and non-trade in the spring of 2022 was the correct move. As it stands, expectations were not met and it makes the extension and non-trade look bad. THUS, some hindsight is being used to evaluate the moves/non-moves. Now, there are some, such as yourself that wanted to move Rodgers regardless, which means that no matter the outcome of 2022, it was a screw up. I myself wanted to move on, but could see why we may want to run it back one more time. THUS I use the turn "somewhat hindsight." You misunderstood what I meant by "somewhat hindsight."

Rodgers wanted a change between 2020 and 2021, that change didn't happen for 2 more years and not the change he wanted.

It's done now, it wasn't necessarily done last year at this time, but did prove to be done as the season progressed.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
31 May 2023 11:05
LombardiTime wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Yeah.....MM needs to be jettisoned ASAP. One Lombardi during his tenure is a fireable offense.
Poor Bob.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 May 2023 11:02
Pckfn23 wrote:

I have to think the Packers brass was never cheering harder for someone else to win MVP in 2021. Even with the early play-off exist, that MVP and another successful season meant Rodgers having success in 2022 would have been a bad look for the Packers. The 2022 season is now the Packers fall-back "get out of jail free card". If if Rodgers has success this year, we can always point back to 2022 and say, well, it wasn't going to work here anymore.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

It's such a catch 22. I was in the Trade Rodgers camp last spring too but I also wonder if Love would have struggled (even more than Rodgers did) and if sitting for one more year ended up being more beneficial. So we would have gotten more from Rodgers last Spring, but if Love sitting one more year results in him taking over as the starter at the right time for him and ultimately leads him down the path of a long successful career, then I'm good.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

“Like, c’mon man. Just tell the truth, you wanted to move on. You didn’t like the fact that we didn’t communicate all the time. Like, listen, I talk to the people that I like.
I can't help but notice that every time Aaron gives an extended interview, he throws something in that undercuts his own message. It's an odd thing for someone who by reputation is very careful about what he says.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

LombardiTime wrote:
salmar80 wrote:

Wait a second. You forgot something that is important.

Guty also retained a QB who played at MVP level for another year. And then, Guty traded a disgruntled QB for value after his next QB was ready. Don’t just pick and choose your info here.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
31 May 2023 07:47
NCF wrote:
31 May 2023 07:05
Disappointed in myself for reading that. Like, not one word of new information other than maybe the fact that Rodgers is Team Russ Ball.
I think first we’ve seen Rodgers pretty much confirm he went over Gute’s head and ask for his removal.

But yeah. Nothing else knew.
I would have brought this from the Athletic 2 weeks ago when it was first printed minus the part about Rodgers wanting Gutekunst fired, but I figured everyone here took my advice and took the 3 month offer from the athletic for 1.77 a month, they offer that as a premotional just prior to the draft, this is my 3rd year, and I'll dis continue it towards the end of June.

plus I new it would get the response it has.

What Shniedman ( SP) doesn't mention was how Rodgers was upset prior to the firing of McCarthy, he was pacified with another 100 mil contract extension in april or so of 2018, Rodgers gets the blame for being a jerk, but the derail with Gute and the brass started long before 2021.

nuff said concerning this stuff for me.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]Yoop[/mention] the article was posted today not 2 weeks ago.
By Matt Schneidman
May 31, 2023
There was a completely separate story from another writer several weeks ago.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 31 May 2023 13:52, edited 2 times in total.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

For perspective’s sake, find a legit reason that any GM would jettison an MVP QB after he just won that award again. Imagine how much flak Guty would’ve had if he had traded 12 after another MVP. He would never have heard the end of it.

Rest assured, when/if Guty was considering shopping 12 a year ago, he knew that Murphy had his back the whole time. A GM doesn’t make that decision, one or another, without wisdom/guidance from above. It’s too high profile. And Guty would have been no exception.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 May 2023 13:47
@Yoop the article was posted today not 2 weeks ago.
By Matt Schneidman
May 31, 2023
it is a reposting of the original with the GM part added on, and it's the same Matt Schneidman