Rodgers Traded

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I take issue with the idea that Murphy Alone hired MLF. I know he gave himself a separate structure to do so, but he also did so with the input and assistance of Gute and other top guys. Like Murphy was not alone in those interviews and did not make a unilateral decision without conversations.

I’m not even sure why we’re discussing this really, unless we’re trying to say that Rodgers blames Gute for hiring MLF when he wanted someone else, but I seemed to have missed any indication of that in the article.

I dunno. Seems like everyone is just reaching for new angles on rehashing old gripes
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 01 Jun 2023 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 11:17
Do you mean "AR should've been consulted" or "GB should've let AR choose the GM and HC"? Honest question.
what do you think I meant Salmar? of course I mean consulted, just as I'am sure Brady is consulted, or any other tenured QB, Rodgers shouldn't be excluded from a decision like that.

and your also using extremes concerning the consulting, why would you assume Rodgers would demand anything, when have you heard Rodgers demand anything except his agent saying Rodgers wanted Guty fired, and we don't know if Rodgers in fact had anything to do with asking his agent to do that, when did we ever hear Rodgers openly complain about draft picks or receivers with Thompson.

Guty had plenty of chances to bring in ready to play talent at WR, when he didn't Rodgers lobbied for players he had some chemistry with, Brady did the same stuff at NE and then Tampa.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Jun 2023 11:27
I dunno. Seems like one is just reaching for new angles on rehashing old gripes
Fixed it for you.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 11:43
YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Jun 2023 11:27
I dunno. Seems like one is just reaching for new angles on rehashing old gripes
Fixed it for you.
Oh I meant the whole article

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
01 Jun 2023 11:34
salmar80 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 11:17
Do you mean "AR should've been consulted" or "GB should've let AR choose the GM and HC"? Honest question.
what do you think I meant Salmar? of course I mean consulted, just as I'am sure Brady is consulted, or any other tenured QB, Rodgers shouldn't be excluded from a decision like that.

and your also using extremes concerning the consulting, why would you assume Rodgers would demand anything, when have you heard Rodgers demand anything except his agent saying Rodgers wanted Guty fired, and we don't know if Rodgers in fact had anything to do with asking his agent to do that, when did we ever hear Rodgers openly complain about draft picks or receivers with Thompson.

Guty had plenty of chances to bring in ready to play talent at WR, when he didn't Rodgers lobbied for players he had some chemistry with, Brady did the same stuff at NE and then Tampa.
I think you choose to ignore the risks of such consulting because you like the idea of the team treating AR like a king with the respect he deserved. I would have loved if the team could have done that. It woulda been real nice if such consulting could have been done without problems. But it isn't.

I honestly would like to know how you think AR would have reacted had the team asked for his opinion and then went in a different direction? That's not an extreme situation. It's the likely situation, because there's no way AR could've ever known all the HC candidates like a headhunting committee would.

I assume AR would demand things because he actually demanded things. He demanded his team to fire his GM. Do you REALLY think AR's agent coulda gone rogue and demanded the firing of Guty without AR's consent, and not get fired by AR? No way. Agents do their clients' bidding. Face it: This was AR's doing.

AR didn't complain about his WRs, draft picks or other teammates publicly because he had to work with them every day. Going to the press to tell that your co-workers suck is generally a bad strategy, and not considered good leadership, since you have to show up the next day and work with them. Even if they do suck.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 11:05
And am I remembering this wrong, but was there not a veteran player "council" that was used for the head coach hire?
OK, this was bugging me because I remember Gute mentioning a player council, too:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 525527002/
The process

Beginning with the firing of Mike McCarthy on Dec. 2, Murphy formed a search committee that included Ball, Gutekunst, chief operating officer and general counsel Ed Policy, vice president of human resources Nicole Ledvina and vice president of communications Jason Wahlers.

Internally, Murphy and Gutekunst called together the Packers’ nine-member player leadership council Dec. 31 that featured key players from each position group, including quarterback Aaron Rodgers. No candidates were discussed, but rather the personality traits and leadership style the players were seeking.

Murphy then went outside the organization and tapped into the National Football League’s Career Development Advisory Panel, a group of seven former head coaches and executives that annually provides a list of coaching candidates to teams, and the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which promotes diversity and equality in NFL hiring practices.

The Packers settled on 10 candidates who were interviewed, beginning with former Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano and former Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell during the season. Interim head coach Joe Philbin was interviewed on Jan. 2.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
01 Jun 2023 12:29
Pckfn23 wrote:
And am I remembering this wrong, but was there not a veteran player "council" that was used for the head coach hire?
OK, this was bugging me because I remember Gute mentioning a player council, too:

The process

Beginning with the firing of Mike McCarthy on Dec. 2, Murphy formed a search committee that included Ball, Gutekunst, chief operating officer and general counsel Ed Policy, vice president of human resources Nicole Ledvina and vice president of communications Jason Wahlers.

Internally, Murphy and Gutekunst called together the Packers’ nine-member player leadership council Dec. 31 that featured key players from each position group, including quarterback Aaron Rodgers. No candidates were discussed, but rather the personality traits and leadership style the players were seeking.

Murphy then went outside the organization and tapped into the National Football League’s Career Development Advisory Panel, a group of seven former head coaches and executives that annually provides a list of coaching candidates to teams, and the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which promotes diversity and equality in NFL hiring practices.

The Packers settled on 10 candidates who were interviewed, beginning with former Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano and former Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell during the season. Interim head coach Joe Philbin was interviewed on Jan. 2.
Boom. Aaron Rodgers was consulted, so we can hopefully get away from that argument. Thank you!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Don't worry, this is a Shannon Sharpe rant; Bayless barely utters a word

"That Aaron Rodgers he full of it. And when I say he full of it, I'm talking about to the brim"

My favorite thing about the Rodgers trade is watching the national media gaining a better understanding of the crap we've been listening to the past couple years while enjoying the on-field Rodgers that the national media was more familiar with.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

That was hilarious
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 12:30
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

The process

Boom. Aaron Rodgers was consulted, so we can hopefully get away from that argument. Thank you!
Awesome. The consultants influenced a hire that failed to bring the title to Titletown. Who checked the references?

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2023 15:29
Don't worry, this is a Shannon Sharpe rant; Bayless barely utters a word

"That Aaron Rodgers he full of it. And when I say he full of it, I'm talking about to the brim"

My favorite thing about the Rodgers trade is watching the national media gaining a better understanding of the crap we've been listening to the past couple years while enjoying the on-field Rodgers that the national media was more familiar with.
Shannon is an idiot and racist. I actually prefer Skip over him.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 12:30
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

The process

Says he was one of nine that was asked about what kind of personality they wanted the new coach to be.

Says Murphy then took that chat and interviewed abunch of guys and never consulted with any player about any specific coach.

Not sure that really clears the rumor up. Sounds like he did 9 guys a courtesy check and then went and did what he wanted.

I’m sure Rodgers thought he was worthy to get in the “specific names” conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It was said Rodgers was never consulted. He was. End of story.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Confirmation bias

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

...does not apply here.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Obviously like everything there is grey area with rodgers. Was he and 8 others asked what kind of coach they want? Seems so.

Is that being “consulted” about who to bring in as coach? Maybe in the tiniest degree.

But won’t count for much if you expected to be brought in for consultation much deeper in the process. Like go over actual individual names, or be talked to individually.

A little 9 man pow wow is nothing more than checking a box so the org can say they consulted, and the fans who think they are part of the org because they own stock can buy it hook, line, and sinker and go-ya see, they consulted!!!

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:10
Obviously like everything there is grey area with rodgers. Was he and 8 others asked what kind of coach they want? Seems so.

Is that being “consulted” about who to bring in as coach? Maybe in the tiniest degree.

But won’t count for much if you expected to be brought in for consultation much deeper in the process. Like go over actual individual names, or be talked to individually.

A little 9 man pow wow is nothing more than checking a box so the org can say they consulted, and the fans who think they are part of the org because they own stock can buy it hook, line, and sinker and go-ya see, they consulted!!!
I think it's a pretty effective way to walk the line. If you let Rodgers and the rest of the group weigh in on individuals you create the opportunity for a rift if you go another direction. I think most employees would choose a boss who would let them do their thing and be easy to get along with, and usually what they need is someone who is going to challenge them.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:13
Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2023 09:10

I think it's a pretty effective way to walk the line. If you let Rodgers and the rest of the group weigh in on individuals you create the opportunity for a rift if you go another direction. I think most employees would choose a boss who would let them do their thing and be easy to get along with, and usually what they need is someone who is going to challenge them.
Not denying that at all, but I def think part of the relationship problems with Rodgers is he got to a point where he did not feel like he was “most employees”. He felt like he had earned special access to these types of decisions. Obviously, Gute felt different, as he openly referred to Rodgers as “the player” multiple times.

But I can see how a 9 man pow wow about personality traits is not what Rodgers had in mind when he wanted to “be consulted”

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I think the level of consultation that Drj is trying to push is pretty challenging to implement in practice.

First off, you need to make these decisions pretty quick. Usually I need to make an offer, or at least string heavily, within 24 - 48 hours after interview. Additionally, you are asking the player committee on specific people when they weren't involved in the interview process and likely have very little information on the actual coach. So what input could these players actually provide beyond what they provided in December?

You could argue the player committee could have been involved in the actual interviews but something tells me that players wouldn't want to come back to Green Bay to interview a coach during their offseason. Rodgers is impossible to get ahold of after the season as it is.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If Aaron was willing, I would have scheduled a good 30 minutes for him to sit in with each candidate, Gute and Murphy and Russ, and basically let the coach try to sell his offensive scheme and plane, let Aaron ask a few questions.

I mean the QB coach relationship is super important as we learned, and we were locked into that QB for basically the length of the coaches contract, give or take. I just would have valued his opinion. Certainly not to the extent of who do you want, but I’d want to get someone where Aaron would feel indebted to work with.