Rodgers Traded

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I love Ted Thompson. I remember having a ton of trust in TT throughout most of his career. I remember his reputation around the league to even people that hated the packers was that he was one heck of a drafter.

But at some point he became mentally ill. Exactly when this was, I do not know, but I would like to know. But at some point he became incapable of doing the job at the standard of an NFL GM. This may have been the case for 2+ seasons!!

Rodgers covered these sins with his play. Rodgers is the reason things did not totally implode much earlier. Rodgers knows this, Murphy and Gute never admitted this...this is a big part of the sore feelings.

Now, the fact that a system was in place that allowed a mentally ill man to run the team and tarnish his own reputation for some time, shows DEEP flaws in the system and the structure. This would never happen at 31 other organizations. Whether the blame for this is on Murphy, the board, or whoever designed the system or what not...this was terrible black eye to our org. And shows in many ways the Packers dont operate like an NFL Franchise, but a mom and pop operation.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jun 2023 10:03
Kizer was brought in for Mike McMurthy. Rodgers's injury in 2017 exposed MM for not having a real offense, and MM tried to blame it on the backup QB situation being bad. It also allowed him to ship Damarious Randall out of town, who MM didn't like.

But also the FO was amenable to it because they overrate the QB position. It's this tired idea about how even when they had Favre, they still had good QBs. Hasselbeck! Brooks! Brunell! Warner!

Hundley actually outplayed Kizer but they doubled down on the move, dealt Hundley and made Kizer QB2. Later that year they finally realized, a season too late, that MM was the guy that had to go.
how is it even remotely possible to over rate the most important position in the game, grooming QB's as we did under Wolf and early Thompson produced not only excellent backups but also great trade bait.

my point is that Kizer wasn't brought in so Gute could trade Rodgers, and the reason McCarthy didn't have a REAL offense is because he didn't run the ball and the receiver position had drastically declined, McCarthy needed to adjust to those changes but didn't seem to know how to do that, but developing the QB position is very important imo, not only do you have a better backup, but teams are always looking for groomed up QB's like a Hasselback, Brooks, Brunell or Warner.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jun 2023 10:39
I love Ted Thompson. I remember having a ton of trust in TT throughout most of his career. I remember his reputation around the league to even people that hated the packers was that he was one heck of a drafter.

But at some point he became mentally ill. Exactly when this was, I do not know, but I would like to know. But at some point he became incapable of doing the job at the standard of an NFL GM. This may have been the case for 2+ seasons!!

Rodgers covered these sins with his play. Rodgers is the reason things did not totally implode much earlier. Rodgers knows this, Murphy and Gute never admitted this...this is a big part of the sore feelings.

Now, the fact that a system was in place that allowed a mentally ill man to run the team and tarnish his own reputation for some time, shows DEEP flaws in the system and the structure. This would never happen at 31 other organizations. Whether the blame for this is on Murphy, the board, or whoever designed the system or what not...this was terrible black eye to our org. And shows in many ways the Packers dont operate like an NFL Franchise, but a mom and pop operation.
I can't buy that, take a look around the league, we are one of the best run teams in the league, don't take my word for it, email any sports person and you'll hear the same thing.

loyalty matters, and we had people under Ted that helped him the last couple drafts, lets not build not winning in the PO's into this Murphy didn't manage well crap fest. :thwap:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jun 2023 11:23
how is it even remotely possible to over rate the most important position in the game, grooming QB's as we did under Wolf and early Thompson produced not only excellent backups but also great trade bait.

my point is that Kizer wasn't brought in so Gute could trade Rodgers, and the reason McCarthy didn't have a REAL offense is because he didn't run the ball and the receiver position had drastically declined, McCarthy needed to adjust to those changes but didn't seem to know how to do that, but developing the QB position is very important imo, not only do you have a better backup, but teams are always looking for groomed up QB's like a Hasselback, Brooks, Brunell or Warner.
Only one QB can play at a time. Those QBs I mentioned were just part of a lucky streak, not a sustainable model because starting-caliber QBs are a rarity. Since then, GB has only been able to do that with Matt Flynn, who was definitely an inferior QB to the ones previously mentioned, but we made him look better than he was because our O system was working wonders and the league hadn't figured out how to stop it (which they since have).

Also, Warner doesn't actually count because he was a try-out guy who didn't even stick around here long enough for us to take any real credit for his development. GB was a brief pit-stop in his career.

It's dumb. You can do the same thing at other positions, and not only is it easier to develop starting-caliber players at basically every other position and then flip them for picks, you can actually also play them while you have them, which you can't at QB unless the starter gets injured.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:

I believe I started noticing and commenting on Ted's "different" speech in either the 2013 or 2014 offseason. And it just got progressively worse as the years went by.

The dude is absolute legend though.

But I too disagree with your assessment that this would never happen with other teams. Honestly I am surprised it happened in GB more than any other place because you usually see these things who are owned by a single owner. Think of Al Davis in his decline in Oakland.

But yes. It was a mistake to keep him Number 1. They should have dialed back his title to a consultant or advisor or something to that effect and let him just scout. And based on Ted's constant messaging, he always said scouting is what he wanted to do most.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jun 2023 12:29
Drj820 wrote:

I believe I started noticing and commenting on Ted's "different" speech in either the 2013 or 2014 offseason. And it just got progressively worse as the years went by.

But I too disagree with your assessment that this would never happen with other teams. Honestly I am surprised it happened in GB more than any other place because you usually see these things who are owned by a single owner. Think of Al Davis in his decline in Oakland.

But yes. It was a mistake to keep him Number 1. They should have dialed back his title to a consultant or advisor or something to that effect and let him just scout. And based on Ted's constant messaging, he always said scouting is what he wanted to do most.
Oh a crazy owner can run things in the ground for sure. Look at Washington commies for a present example there.

I was talking about a position that was hired by contract that was clearly not the top position in the org. Think HC, assistant coaches, scouts, GM.

No other team in the league would have a GM who was in severe mental decline for years without handling it in a respectful way.

And yes, TT is a legend. To me it is a shame he was allowed to soil his reputation in the end because there was no adult in the room to handle the situation properly.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I disagree Drj.

Washington would do it. Oakland would do it. Cleveland would do it.

I don't know why you think an owner is magically higher, smarter, and more effective than a CEO and board.

You're basically just comparing a privately held company to a publicly traded one.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jun 2023 12:52
And yes, TT is a legend. To me it is a shame he was allowed to soil his reputation in the end because there was no adult in the room to handle the situation properly.
Looking back on it, now, I remember stories about McCarthy and Thompson not getting along. McCarthy probably did everything in his power to say, "Hey, look over here," while still remaining loyal to his boss and the man that hired him. Kind of paints Mac in a little bit of a new light as he did his very best in a very classy way to keep this dysfunctional ship from sinking.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
09 Jun 2023 13:11
Drj820 wrote:
Looking back on it, now, I remember stories about McCarthy and Thompson not getting along. McCarthy probably did everything in his power to say, "Hey, look over here," while still remaining loyal to his boss and the man that hired him. Kind of paints Mac in a little bit of a new light as he did his very best in a very classy way to keep this dysfunctional ship from sinking.
MM is another guy who really was a packers legend that soiled their reputation a touch from staying around a couple years too long. MM was amazing and brought us through the favre rodgers transition and coached us to a ring, yet he’s mocked a lot due to the final years.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jun 2023 13:02
I disagree Drj.

Washington would do it. Oakland would do it. Cleveland would do it.

I don't know why you think an owner is magically higher, smarter, and more effective than a CEO and board.

You're basically just comparing a privately held company to a publicly traded one.
Maybe. I feel like the crazy owners are more likely to have quick triggers and fire people without understanding why they may be struggling. Kind of feel like it usually goes the other way in those situations.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jun 2023 13:25
NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
MM is another guy who really was a packers legend that soiled their reputation a touch from staying around a couple years too long. MM was amazing and brought us through the favre rodgers transition and coached us to a ring, yet he’s mocked a lot due to the final years.
I will forever be incredibly disappointed by the missed legend of Thompson, MM, MLF, Favre, Rodgers and BG.

Just remove one bonehead play/decision in 2007, 2014, 2020, and 2021 each season and this group is viewed very, very differently.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
09 Jun 2023 11:44
Yoop wrote:

Only one QB can play at a time. Those QBs I mentioned were just part of a lucky streak, not a sustainable model because starting-caliber QBs are a rarity. Since then, GB has only been able to do that with Matt Flynn, who was definitely an inferior QB to the ones previously mentioned, but we made him look better than he was because our O system was working wonders and the league hadn't figured out how to stop it (which they since have).

Also, Warner doesn't actually count because he was a try-out guy who didn't even stick around here long enough for us to take any real credit for his development. GB was a brief pit-stop in his career.

It's dumb. You can do the same thing at other positions, and not only is it easier to develop starting-caliber players at basically every other position and then flip them for picks, you can actually also play them while you have them, which you can't at QB unless the starter gets injured.
ballony the reason QB's flunk out is lack of prep prior to being asked to start, Brunell, Hassellback, Brooks, where groomed a couple seasons, so was Flynn, we have learned here that a couple seasons sitting behind a established vet is the best way to give a QB a chance to succeed.

and why would you even attempt to tell me other positions are the same way, it's so apples to oranges it hardly deserves repeating, the only other position that even comes close to what a QB has to learn is TE, and even that pales compared to what a NFL QB has to know, owners cave to demands from fans to start rookie QB's because to them college success automatically translates to success at this level, it doesn't, thats why most of the QB's fail to ever even play close to slot value, although we have seen more success lately, it still pales in comparison for they way we've groomed Rodgers and now Love

I new you'd go off into some tangent Labrev as soon as you said only one QB can play, it's like saying only one right guard can play so why bother backing him up, if the niners had your mind set they'd not even make the PO's last season.

the NFL has given thought to QB exemptions in the past, why they havn't enacted that imho is a huge mistake.
Last edited by Yoop on 09 Jun 2023 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jun 2023 12:29
Drj820 wrote:

I didn't see any decline with Ted that early, and I listened to his pressers just as you did, loyalty or not Murphy and the rest, Russ Ball and Highsmith where close to Ted and I doubt either would allow Ted to remain GM for 5 years if he was declining mentally 2013, thats a long time, and Teds speech was often hard to decipher right when he became GM, never liked open pressers and it showed the way he spoke, imo just to many safe guard people around to let that go on for a 5 year span :dunno:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Il give Ted credit…to draft Bahk, A Jones, and K Clark all while mentally Ill is pretty incredible.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jun 2023 16:26
Il give Ted credit…to draft Bahk, A Jones, and K Clark all while mentally Ill is pretty incredible.
Don’t know if you are serious or not, but this is where I struggle. I think he very well could have continued to work well despite being unfit for the podium or television. It’s clear that he was allowed to retain his position for too long, but I don’t think his health contributed to the Packers lack of success in his final year. An aging roster, injuries, and some notable draft whiffs played a much larger role.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jun 2023 14:42
Labrev wrote:
09 Jun 2023 11:44
Yoop wrote:

ballony the reason QB's flunk out is lack of prep prior to being asked to start, Brunell, Hassellback, Brooks, where groomed a couple seasons, so was Flynn, we have learned here that a couple seasons sitting behind a established vet is the best way to give a QB a chance to succeed.

and why would you even attempt to tell me other positions are the same way, it's so apples to oranges it hardly deserves repeating, the only other position that even comes close to what a QB has to learn is TE, and even that pales compared to what a NFL QB has to know, owners cave to demands from fans to start rookie QB's because to them college success automatically translates to success at this level, it doesn't, thats why most of the QB's fail to ever even play close to slot value, although we have seen more success lately, it still pales in comparison for they way we've groomed Rodgers and now Love

I new you'd go off into some tangent Labrev as soon as you said only one QB can play, it's like saying only one right guard can play so why bother backing him up, if the niners had your mind set they'd not even make the PO's last season.

the NFL has given thought to QB exemptions in the past, why they havn't enacted that imho is a huge mistake.
So the Jordan Love pick was good then, right?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
09 Jun 2023 16:34
Drj820 wrote:
09 Jun 2023 16:26
Don’t know if you are serious or not, but this is where I struggle. I think he very well could have continued to work well despite being unfit for the podium or television. It’s clear that he was allowed to retain his position for too long, but I don’t think his health contributed to the Packers lack of success in his final year. An aging roster, injuries, and some notable draft whiffs played a much larger role.
I was very serious.

A good gm refills the rosters with young guys while the old guys age out. A good gm drafts backups that can play in case of injury. A good gm has less whiffs than TT in the final years.

All of the things you mentioned are on TT and show signs of mental decline when they weren’t problems he had earlier in his career

All of the things you mentioned happen when a GM is a sleep at the wheel

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jun 2023 13:34
Drj820 wrote:
09 Jun 2023 13:25
NCF wrote:

I will forever be incredibly disappointed by the missed legend of Thompson, MM, MLF, Favre, Rodgers and BG.

Just remove one bonehead play/decision in 2007, 2014, 2020, and 2021 each season and this group is viewed very, very differently.
Brett Favre is still a legend regardless of his bonehead 2007 NFC Championship Game interception. The rest of 'em I agree. Rodgers' inability to drive the ball downfield in key playoff games will forever stain his legend (not to mention his divisive personality and hairdo garbage that 'creeped' in at the end of his Packers tenure).

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Are you fellas still talking about this guy? :lol:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
10 Jun 2023 07:42
Are you fellas still talking about this guy? :lol:
Oh. So people want to continue talking about Jack Vainisi, I hope. :thwap: