2023 Packers 53-man roster predictions

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

2023 Packers 53-man roster predictions

Post by paco »

It's going to be a long month and a half with nothing happening. So might as well kick it off with a roster prediction. Here's mine (not necessarily correct for depth chart).

Offense (24)
QB (2) - Jordan Love, Sean Clifford
RB (3) - Aaron Jones, AJ Dillon, Tyler Goodson
WR (6) - Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, Malik Heath
TE (4) - Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft, Josiah Deguara, Tyler Davis
OL (9) - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom, Yosh Nijman, Rasheed Walker, Royce Newman, Sean Rhyan

Defense(26)
EDGE (6) - Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Kinglsey Enagbare, Justin Hollins, Brenton Cox Jr, Lukas Van Ness
LB(4) - Quay Walker, De'Vondre Campbell, Tariq Carpenter, Isaiah McDuffie
DL(5) - Kenny Clark, Devonte Wyatt, Colby Wooden, Karl Brooks, TJ Slaton
CB(6) - Jaire Alexander, Rasul Douglas, Keisean Nixon, Eric Stokes, Shemar Jean-Charles, Carrington Valentine
S(5) - Darnell Savage, Rudy Ford, Jonathan Owens, Anthony Johnson Jr, Dallin Leavitt

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech

Definitely expect some differences. Some tough calls at the bottom of the roster.
RIP JustJeff

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

paco wrote:
15 Jun 2023 12:49
It's going to be a long month and a half with nothing happening. So might as well kick it off with a roster prediction. Here's mine (not necessarily correct for depth chart).

Offense (24)
WR (6) - Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, Malik Heath
OL (9) - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom, Yosh Nijman, Rasheed Walker, Royce Newman, Sean Rhyan

Defense(26)
EDGE (6) - Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Kinglsey Enagbare, Justin Hollins, Brenton Cox Jr, Lukas Van Ness
CB(6) - Jaire Alexander, Rasul Douglas, Keisean Nixon, Eric Stokes, Shemar Jean-Charles, Carrington Valentine
S(5) - Darnell Savage, Rudy Ford, Jonathan Owens, Anthony Johnson Jr, Dallin Leavitt

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech

Definitely expect some differences. Some tough calls at the bottom of the roster.
It's hard not to get excited about our front 7 on Defense.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Acrobat wrote:
15 Jun 2023 13:02
paco wrote:

Offense (24)

Defense(26)

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech

Safety is the only real question spot. Especially when we know Stokes and Gary are back and ready to play (hope neither are PUP'd). I'm excited about Johnson Jr though. Hoping for a bounceback year for Savage and that he does what he's told.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Acrobat wrote:
paco wrote:

Offense (24)

Defense(26)

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech

Yeah. We were saying that last year too.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Jun 2023 15:54
Acrobat wrote:
paco wrote:

Offense (24)

Defense(26)

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech

Yeah. We were saying that last year too.
:-)
Haha true. I think I'm more excited by the DL and that Van Ess could be considered both LB and DE, and then Wyatt being in his 2nd year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:

Offense (24)

Defense(26)

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech

Love this.

I'd probably only swap Melton for Heath (even though heath has made more noise in camp and I think he'll be a PS lock if he's not on the 53) and Gaines and/or Moore for Leavitt. I know Leavitt is the ST captain, but Gaines and Moore are better safeties and also plus STers.

Everything else looks great.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Offense (24)
WR (6) - Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, Bo Melton
TE (4) - Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft, Josiah Deguara, Austin Allen
OL (9) - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom, Yosh Nijman, Royce Newman, Sean Rhyan, Luke Tenuta

Defense(26)

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech

I don't see how Bo Melton gets cut with 4.34 speed and getting signed off another team's PS last season.
Same for Luke Tenuta, 6th round pick signed off another team's PS and active in 3 games last season.
I think Tyler Davis has had his chance and failed. Austin Allen is huge enough to play OT.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I really think we are going to see 3 QBs on the roster. Probably anyways, but with the new rules, emergency 3rd QB has to be on active roster (not PS elevation) to be able to suit and not count against the 46.

Whether it is Etling or other, we’ll likely have one.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
16 Jun 2023 08:37
I really think we are going to see 3 QBs on the roster. Probably anyways, but with the new rules, emergency 3rd QB has to be on active roster (not PS elevation) to be able to suit and not count against the 46.

Whether it is Etling or other, we’ll likely have one.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I had Etling on there and took him off as one of my final cuts. I kind of expect it as well.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I don't understand the 3rd QB advantage. If Love gets hurt and then Clifford gets hurt in the same game, the Packers are probably going to lose that game anyway. What does it matter whether Etling or someone who played QB in high school is going to be behind center if it is a highly probable loss either way?

If either Love or Clifford get hurt (or are sick) but not in the same game, you just promote your PS QB during the week.

I don't like cutting a young player elsewhere to keep a 3rd QB. There is no guarantee that anyone the Packers might cut makes it to the PS but who is going to claim Danny Etling if Clifford takes his backup QB job?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Jun 2023 01:29
I don't understand the 3rd QB advantage. If Love gets hurt and then Clifford gets hurt in the same game, the Packers are probably going to lose that game anyway.
I don’t understand not trying because something probably won’t happen. What if we are up by 10 at the time?

Didn’t we see that a few years ago? Rodgers got hurt then Seneca Wallace got hurt on the next series?

Love is likely going to be taking a lot of hits Aaron didnt. And between the two rules of PS elevations and 3rd QB not counting towards your game day roster, be so foolish to not do it. We am just saw SF lose the biggest game without a chance cause they didn’t have a QB who could throw.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
15 Jun 2023 13:14
Safety is the only real question spot.
Lots of questions, some answers will arrive in August. In the mean time, here's a couple of articles on Tarvarius Moore for your July reading list

Gute went out and got (2) guys with NFL experience at Safety. And playing Safety is super dependent on experience and "seeing it" live
It often takes guys a few years to gain that insight and both FA's have had a fair amount of time on defense in addition to their ST prowess

Jonathan Owens racked up over a thousand defensive snaps in Houston and Tarvarius Moore logged hundreds of snaps in the Demeco Ryans' defense in SF. I believe Moore will not only make the roster, but push for a starting spot next to Savage. Moore had the blazing 4:32 time at the combine
( pre-Achilles) and should be all the way back from that 2020 injury. Moore played for a top notch DC and even recorded an INT vs Mahomes in the Super Bowl. He's more than "just" an ST guy for the Packers.

You can read a bit moore here from PFF, who called him a hidden gem in the 2018 draft
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-hidden-g ... -the-draft

"Moore was the 49ers' third-round pick in 2018 and was a favorite of senior analyst Steve Palazzolo. The former Golden Eagle was deemed by PFF as one of the draft class' hidden gems that year, possessing freaky 4.32s speed and an imposing 6'2″ frame. During his final season in college — where 522 of his 831 defensive snaps came either in the box or at free safety — he earned an elite run-defense grade of 90.2 that ranked first among the 123 draft-eligible safeties and an 82.9 coverage grade that ranked tied for 18th."

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-49ers-defe ... rius-moore

Moore’s skill set is tailor-made for the defensive approach that the 49ers would like to run in 2019. He has the size and skills to support the run and has the speed to cover deep. Now that he's being given the chance to play his natural position, the former Southern Mississippi safety has the chance to break out in 2019.

Tarvarius Moore has the athleticism & experience to turn into a useful Safety, we'll see if Ryan Downard & Greg Williams can get it out of him
Per reporters, he's 3rd on the depth chart heading into TC, behind Savage/Ford.
IT. IS. TIME

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
17 Jun 2023 07:09
TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Jun 2023 01:29
I don't understand the 3rd QB advantage. If Love gets hurt and then Clifford gets hurt in the same game, the Packers are probably going to lose that game anyway.
I don’t understand not trying because something probably won’t happen. What if we are up by 10 at the time?

Didn’t we see that a few years ago? Rodgers got hurt then Seneca Wallace got hurt on the next series?

Love is likely going to be taking a lot of hits Aaron didnt. And between the two rules of PS elevations and 3rd QB not counting towards your game day roster, be so foolish to not do it. We am just saw SF lose the biggest game without a chance cause they didn’t have a QB who could throw.
Because if you keep 3 QB's you keep 1 less of another position. For example RB. Which is more likely, that your only 2 QBs both get hurt or your only 2 RB's both get hurt. If you keep 3 QB's and 3 RB's then you have to short a different position, maybe Dline or ILB or safety. I would rather have 3 RB's and an extra DB or ILB. And of course ILB's and Safeties and RB's and really almost every other position plays ST but QB's never do (except in New Orleans).

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
paco wrote:

Offense (24)

Defense(26)

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech

I'd be more excited if we had a better DC... :?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

I swiped format from paco, thank you. Some tough cuts at the end of the roster

I grabbed a vet QB, Chris Streveler from the JETs.
He knows the offense, has years in the league and won a Grey Cup in Canadia- which endears him to QB coach, Tom Clements. Cheep$$

I am afraid of losing Tyler Goodson if left on the PS given his dynamic play and pass- catching prowess.
I am counting on Sean Rhyan earning an IOL spot and I just can't choose between the developmental OTs yet
I kept 10 OL, a real anomaly for GB historically speaking.
Only kept 5 WR, rest on PS, including Bo Melton. And yes, I signed Big Dog for vet minimum.

Final cut on defense was Shemar-Jean Charles; he may be too slight for that slot CB role which includes a lot of run support. ( 5'10, 184 lbs)
Definitely wanted to keep Jonathan Ford on the DL to back- up to TJ Slaton on the nose.
BSA wrote:

Offense (25)

QB (2) - Jordan Love, Chris Streveler... Sean Clifford and Etling to PS
RB (3) - Aaron Jones, AJ Dillon,Tyler Goodson
WR (5) - Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks
TE (5) - Luke Musgrave,Tucker Kraft, Josiah Deguara, Marcedes Lewis, Tyler Davis
OL (10) - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan, Zach Tom, Yosh Nijman, Rasheed Walker, Caleb Jones, Royce Newman, Sean Rhyan

Defense (25)

EDGE (6) - Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Lukas Van Ness, Kinglsey Enagbare, Justin Hollins, Brenton Cox Jr
CB (5) - Jaire Alexander, Rasul Douglas, Keisean Nixon, Eric Stokes, Carrington Valentine
S (5) - Darnell Savage, Rudy Ford, Tarvarius Moore, Jonathan Owens, Dallin Leavitt... Anthony Johnson Jr to PS

ST (3)
K - Anders Carlson
P - Patt O'Donnell
LS - Matt Orzech
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Okay I think I've got a sense of it.....

QB: Love, Clipboard
RB: Jones, Dillon, Goodson
TE: Musgrave, Deguara, Davis, Kraft
WR: Watson, Doubs, Reed, Toure, Wicks, DuBose
OT: Bakhtiari, Nijman, Jones, Walker, Tenuta
IOL: Jenkins, Tom, Runyan, Myers, Rhyan

DL: Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Wooden, Brooks, Ford
ILB: Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Carpenter
EDGE: Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Hollins, LVN
CB: Jaire, Sul, Nixon, Valentine, Stokes
S: Savage, Moore
S: Ford, Owens, Leavitt

K: Carlson
P: O'Donnel
LS: Orzech

PS: QB A. McGough, RB L. Nichols, RB E. Wilson, FB H. Pearson, WR M. Heath, WR B. Melton, WR C. Chrest, OT K. Telfort, OL R. Newman, IOL J. Embey, DL C. Slayton, EDGE B. Cox, CB C. Ballentine, S A. Johnson Jr., S B. Sapp, P D. Whelan {+ LB K. Odumegwu, doesn't count}.

There are a few I'm iffy about (e.g. last WR spot) and subject to change based on final camp practices and preseason game performance, but I think like 45-50 of these are all but locked in.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
08 Aug 2023 12:31
Okay I think I've got a sense of it.....

QB: Love, Clipboard
RB: Jones, Dillon, Goodson
TE: Musgrave, Deguara, Davis, Kraft
WR: Watson, Doubs, Reed, Toure, Wicks, DuBose
OT: Bakhtiari, Nijman, Jones, Walker, Tenuta
IOL: Jenkins, Tom, Runyan, Myers, Rhyan

DL: Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Wooden, Brooks, Ford
ILB: Campbell, Walker, McDuffie, Carpenter
EDGE: Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Hollins, LVN
CB: Jaire, Sul, Nixon, Valentine, Stokes
S: Savage, Moore
S: Ford, Owens, Leavitt

K: Carlson
P: O'Donnel
LS: Orzech

PS: QB A. McGough, RB L. Nichols, RB E. Wilson, FB H. Pearson, WR M. Heath, WR B. Melton, WR C. Chrest, OT K. Telfort, OL R. Newman, IOL J. Embey, DL C. Slayton, EDGE B. Cox, CB C. Ballentine, S A. Johnson Jr., S B. Sapp, P D. Whelan {+ LB K. Odumegwu, doesn't count}.

There are a few I'm iffy about (e.g. last WR spot) and subject to change based on final camp practices and preseason game performance, but I think like 45-50 of these are all but locked in.
I think Brenton Cox has a pretty good chance to unseat Hollins, but otherwise, I might agree with absolutely everything. I am also pretty curious to see how they play the 3rd QB thing with the new rule. Costs a roster spot, but the benefit is there every Sunday. I don't think it would be McGough, but I could see a legit back-up QB added late and keeping Clifford. Innis Gaines is another tough cut with his ST value, but that is a full secondary and I don't know who the odd man out would be, but could see one of Moore, Owens, or Leavitt not making it.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NCF wrote:
08 Aug 2023 13:57
I think Brenton Cox has a pretty good chance to unseat Hollins, but otherwise, I might agree with absolutely everything. I am also pretty curious to see how they play the 3rd QB thing with the new rule. Costs a roster spot, but the benefit is there every Sunday. I don't think it would be McGough, but I could see a legit back-up QB added late and keeping Clifford. Innis Gaines is another tough cut with his ST value, but that is a full secondary and I don't know who the odd man out would be, but could see one of Moore, Owens, or Leavitt not making it.
I would have had Cox making it if Gary started the season on IR, but it looks like he really will be ready to go on Week 1.

Ultimately, I think Cox can be stashed safely because I figure teams will want to see that he can stay on a team without incident this year. But yes, I could see them going with the younger, cheaper Cox who the team could probably control for longer, than Hollins, who's probably gone after this year and has less upside.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

3rd RB spot is completely open, I think. Until pads are on and full contact is occurring against other teams, I don't think we really know much at all about how it shakes out behind Jones and Dillon.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
08 Aug 2023 14:48
3rd RB spot is completely open, I think. Until pads are on and full contact is occurring against other teams, I don't think we really know much at all about how it shakes out behind Jones and Dillon.
I would say from the reports and use of Goodson, it's his to lose.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."