Do we have a bad, good, or great roster in 2023?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yikes, :lol: I don't know how much simpler it can be stated than "play action is always a pass". If we can't even get past that, then what's the point of further discussion? I mean, even the full name is "play action pass"; there is no "play action run".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play-action_pass
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 12:52
NCF wrote:
29 Jun 2023 12:35
The sky is blue.

@Yoop: $%@# that!! You guys are dumb.
ahhh, my sky is not blue, it's hazy and smells like smoke, and is hard to breath :nono:

No, you guys just like to complicate stuff, it makes you sound smart

now he's saying these are all decided or designated plays, if a QB switches from a pass to a run or vice versa he is optioning out (audibling ) and Bart Starr did that plenty
No... Audible is a completely separate thing. Option is during the play. Audible is before the snap changing the play based on defensive alignment, NOT what we are discussing here. Read option is during the play, read a player to determine whether to give or keep. RPO can be before the snap or after to determine whether to pass or give to the RB. RPO and Read Option are called plays.

We are not complicating anything, we are explaining football.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 29 Jun 2023 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jun 2023 12:45
Please take a minute to read this on the RPO: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl-fa ... tion-guide
when it seemed like every play-action pass the Eagles ran out of a shotgun formation was labeled an RPO.

Invented term, every time the safety drops into the linebacker box doesn't become a pass play, so this is mis leading to a degree , and yes I do see it happen.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
Please take a minute to read this on the RPO: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl-fa ... tion-guide
when it seemed like every play-action pass the Eagles ran out of a shotgun formation was labeled an RPO.

Invented term, every time the safety drops into the linebacker box doesn't become a pass play, so this is mis leading to a degree , and yes I do see it happen.
Sure it is an invented turn to describe an option play that can be a run by the RB or a pass. Run Pass Option is in no way misleading, it is in the name.

The link was not a play action pass, it was run pass option. Notice the mesh. The very first play on the link was the run option in RPO.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 29 Jun 2023 13:09, edited 2 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

If the QB calls PA as a lineman I might make the motions that will sell it as a run, but ultimately I'm pass blocking. Now if the play breaks down and the QB runs for his life that is not a design of the play. He's there to run the fake, while looking for his downfield reads. If you sell it or the D prides itself on stopping the run first, your receivers gain steps and the OL gets position.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
29 Jun 2023 12:53
Yikes, :lol: I don't know how much simpler it can be stated than "play action is always a pass". If we can't even get past that, then what's the point of further discussion? I mean, even the full name is "play action pass"; there is no "play action run".

no it's not, the Eagles are a great example of lining up in a pass formation then running, that it's termed RPO doesn't negate that it started in a Play action pre set.

RPO is simply a designation to a QB option play, The Bears with Bobby Douglas did this 150 times one season and no one called it RPO they lined up to pass the ball but ran, and play action encompasses all of it

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This is play action:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:10
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

no it's not, the Eagles are a great example of lining up in a pass formation then running, that it's termed RPO doesn't negate that it started in a Play action pre set.

RPO is simply a designation to a QB option play, The Bears with Bobby Douglas did this 150 times one season and no one called it RPO they lined up to pass the ball but ran, and play action encompasses all of it
It's not about formation. It has little to do with formation. Play action can not be pre set. Play action is during the play.

The bears did not run RPO 150 times back then. Play action does not encompasses RPO. They are 2 separate plays. Again the formations is not relevant. RPO is done post snap.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:07
Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:04
Pckfn23 wrote:

Sure it is an invented turn to describe an option play that can be a run by the RB or a pass. Run Pass Option is in no way misleading, it is in the name.

The link was not a play action pass, it was run pass option. Notice the mesh. The very first play on the link was the run option in RPO.
invented probably burns your ears :lol: does created sound better? point is it is all option oriented, and all falls into play action, the QB audibles or changes the play design in the pre snap.

seriously Brandon everyone here can spot the safety dropping, and we don't always pass when he does so, and we all can see when the QB ca't find a receiver and hands the ball to the RB, that we term that read option it still is a form of PA, same with a RPO, the QB can change in or out of these plays and most fans would never even notice.

now to what really matters in our lives, hows the breathing in Sommerset?

I'am trying to plan down some doors and I'am out of breath trying :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:16
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

It's not about formation. It has little to do with formation. Play action can not be pre set. Play action is during the play.

The bears did not run RPO 150 times back then. Play action does not encompasses RPO. They are 2 separate plays. Again the formations is not relevant. RPO is done post snap.
having fun are you, your just twisting whatever I say? good bye

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:21

invented probably burns your ears :lol: does created sound better? point is it is all option oriented, and all falls into play action, the QB audibles or changes the play design in the pre snap.
Yes, Read Option and RPO are options. This does not include play action. Play action is not an option play.

QB audibles are also not options. They are the QB changing the play pre snap. Something completely different that anything else.
seriously Brandon everyone here can spot the safety dropping, and we don't always pass when he does so
Correct because it isn't an RPO that was called.
and we all can see when the QB ca't find a receiver and hands the ball to the RB,
no one has ever seen that.
That we term that read option it still is a form of PA, same with a RPO, the QB can change in or out of these plays and most fans would never even notice.
No, we don't tern that play action and that is not RPO. RPO and Read Option is not the QB changing the play. It has never been the QB changing the play. They are called plays.

I would suggest you actually read what I posted instead of skipping it. It will explain it all.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:25
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Not at all twisting anything. I am explaining the differences.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Sorry to be blunt, but you're wrong.

Imagine the QB calls for a play-action in the huddle, and he makes no audible at the line. What happens if he tries to hand off? Oops, fumble, the RB wasn't expecting it because play-action is always a pass.

RPO is different, the RB has to be ready for a hand off, and the line has to block differently. Due to the blocking, if the QB holds the ball too long and then throws, he'll probably get an "illegal blocker downfield" penalty.
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:33
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Imagine the QB calls for a play-action in the huddle, and he makes no audible at the line. What happens if he tries to hand off? Oops, fumble, the RB wasn't expecting it because play-action is always a pass.

RPO is different, the RB has to be ready for a hand off, and the line has to block differently. Due to the blocking, if the QB holds the ball too long and then throws, he'll probably get an "illegal blocker downfield" penalty.
to be blunt, it just doesn't play out that way, the RB in play action has to sell the run, that is his job first, then it's blocking or fading out for a dump off, prior to all this he still has to pay attention for the QB signal that he might be given the ball, and you can be sure that signal wont be the QB saying read option or RPO,

this has turned into the most convoluted argument about terminology ever, the QB will get a called play, in the huddle he will explain some alternatives, instead of saying be ready to run to the RB now he says RPO or read option I suppoose, basically there names donated to stuff thats always been done

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 14:14
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Yoop wrote:

to be blunt, it just doesn't play out that way, the RB in play action has to sell the run, that is his job first, then it's blocking or fading out for a dump off, prior to all this he still has to pay attention for the QB signal that he might be given the ball...
No, no, no, the RB can't be given the ball on a play-action. The "action" in play-action is the fake hand off. If the QB actually lets go of the ball, it's a mistake, a broken play.
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Yoop wrote:

to be blunt, it just doesn't play out that way, the RB in play action has to sell the run, that is his job first, then it's blocking or fading out for a dump off, prior to all this he still has to pay attention for the QB signal that he might be given the ball, and you can be sure that signal wont be the QB saying read option or RPO,
I think you are under the impression that RPO and Read Option are audibles or some kind of check. They are not. They are called plays. The QB could audible to them. In short, they do work as crazy said.
this has turned into the most convoluted argument about terminology ever, the QB will get a called play, in the huddle he will explain some alternatives, instead of saying be ready to run to the RB now he says RPO or read option I suppoose, basically there names donated to stuff thats always been done
It's not a a convoluted argument, 6ou are simply misunderstanding what is being talked about. It does happen, and it is ok, but maybe read what was brought to help bone up on the terminology. The read option and RPO is not some hint the QB gives or whatnot. These are names to plays that have been around for a while, but they are what they are, not something else or a name for something else. Hell, the wishbone is 70 years old and it is predicated on the read option.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
29 Jun 2023 14:54
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

to be blunt, it just doesn't play out that way, the RB in play action has to sell the run, that is his job first, then it's blocking or fading out for a dump off, prior to all this he still has to pay attention for the QB signal that he might be given the ball...
No, no, no, the RB can't be given the ball on a play-action. The "action" in play-action is the fake hand off. If the QB actually lets go of the ball, it's a mistake, a broken play.
Trip no's, waaaaaaha, PLay action has been around forever, RO and RPO for a little overt a decade :thwap:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

It's been a while, and this is the perfect thread, to remind everyone how much screen space and reading time can be saved by Ignoring one poster (and those that reply to him, generating more posts). Just sayin', it works for me.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 13:25
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Sometimes you two bicker and it’s nitpicky BS. His first three sentences are non-debatable, 100% fact.

Find one other person that agrees with you and I will apologize and admit I am wrong.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Half Empty wrote:
29 Jun 2023 16:29
It's been a while, and this is the perfect thread, to remind everyone how much screen space and reading time can be saved by Ignoring one poster (and those that reply to him, generating more posts). Just sayin', it works for me.
If we all do that then we are right back where we started tomorrow. Just once, I want him to say, “Ah, I see. You guys were right.” This is one of those times that I will not look the other way. There is no gray area here.

Read More. Post Less.