Rank the Roster 2023: #27

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers?

Poll ended at 11 Jul 2023 08:44

Jayden Reed
27%
Tucker Kraft
3%
Jonathan Owens
7%
Yosh Nijman
23%
Samori Toure
17%
Josiah Deguara
20%
Isaiah McDuffie
No votes
Jonathan Ford
3%
Carrington Valentine
No votes
Sean Clifford
No votes
Tariq Carpenter
No votes
Royce Newman
No votes
Sean Rhyan
No votes
Shemar Jean-Charles
No votes
Anthony Johnson Jr
No votes
Justin Hollins
No votes
Colby Wooden
No votes
Tarvarius Moore
No votes

Total votes: 30

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2023: #27

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2023 Edition

1. Jaire Alexander (43%)[+2]
2. Aaron Jones (26%)[+6]
3. David Bakhtiari (34%)[+1]
4. Kenny Clark (50%)[-2]
5. Rashan Gary (57%)[+1]
6. Elgton Jenkins (54%)[-1]
7. DeVondre Campbell (29%)[--]
8. Christian Watson (32%)[+14]
9. Jordan Love (32%)[+21]
10. Preston Smith (32%)[+2]
11. Rasul Douglas (29%)[+2]
12. AJ Dillon (27%)[-1]
13. Keisean Nixon (36%)[+19]
14. Quay Walker (36%)[+5]
15. Romeo Doubs (27%)[+20]
16. Devonte Wyatt (39%)[+3]
17. Zach Tom (31%)[+20]
18. Lukas Van Ness (24%)[R]
19. John Runyan (27%)[-1]
20. Darnell Savage (31%)[-6]
21. Josh Myers (44%)[-5]
22T. Eric Stokes (44%)[-12]
22T. Luke Musgrave (24%)[R]
24. TJ Slaton (18%)[+5]
25. Kingsley Enagbare (30%)[+11]
26. Rudy Ford (30%)[+10]
27. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2022 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Toure and Yosh here for me. I think Yosh is a better OL than Deguara is TE; he's more of a mediocre fullback than anthing. Toure is the clear leader in stats available imho.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I went with Reed as he will get a lot of snaps. For my second choice, I chose Kraft. There is an outside chance that he is the starting TE. Another option is that the Packers play a lot of 2 TE formations rather than use a slot receiver. Either way, these 2 players are the most probable to be significant additions to the roster.

I would also not be surprised if Colby Wooden is the #2 Dlineman before the end of the season.

As for Yosh, go back and watch the Lions game again. The man is a 1 trick pony, he cannot play anywhere except LT. He was a very bad joke in that game. Frankly I would cut him, he is that bad. Watch for yourself.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Deguara for the umpteenth time. For all intents and purposes, I expect this to be a new offense from the one we ran last year, and I expect him to have a role.

Gonna go just him for now, unsure who I have next. Yosh is a solid asset as OL6. Hollins is a nice piece in the EDGE rotation. I like the upside of Toure, Reed, Kraft, Wooden, Brooks, and as a Wild Card option ala Rudy Ford last year I also like Tavarius Moore.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
10 Jul 2023 08:59
Deguara for the umpteenth time. For all intents and purposes, I expect this to be a new offense from the one we ran last year, and I expect him to have a role.

Gonna go just him for now, unsure who I have next. Yosh is a solid asset as OL6. Hollins is a nice piece in the EDGE rotation. I like the upside of Toure, Reed, Kraft, Wooden, Brooks, and as a Wild Card option ala Rudy Ford last year I also like Tavarius Moore.

He got called for holding and Rodgers still got sacked. And that Lion was a rookie. Yosh got pulled at halftime and Tom stopped the bleeding at RT. I am sorry, but I would have just plain cut Yosh after that game. Even Newman is a better RT than Yosh and Yosh cannot play guard either.

watch the first sack at 9:40. That rookie just plain overpowered Yosh.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 10 Jul 2023 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I went Ford and Owens. It’s a good bet one of them - or even Carpenter - will start at safety. Once one of them gets on the board, I’ll move on from the safety position. The starter spot deserves a vote right now though.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

APB wrote:
10 Jul 2023 09:25
I went Ford and Owens. It’s a good bet one of them - or even Carpenter - will start at safety. Once one of them gets on the board, I’ll move on from the safety position. The starter spot deserves a vote right now though.
Rudy Ford is already off the board?

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

APB wrote:
S Johnathan "Rudy" Ford went #26. 340 lb DL Jonathan Ford, who we picked in the 7th last year, is the Jonathan Ford remaining on the poll. He made the team last year, though backup NT tends not to be a highly rostered position. Imho value is probably in the 40 area if he makes the team; upside is probably around here if he beats out Slayton for the "starting" NT position.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Jul 2023 09:15
Labrev wrote:

**snip** He got called for holding and Rodgers still got sacked. And that Lion was a rookie.
It's one game. He held down the LT spot all year just two seasons ago and our offense did not miss a beat, including a shut-out against Nick Bosa (arguably could have prevented our 2021 playoff loss in which the 9ers D ate us alive if we played him at LT instead of Turner).

He is adequate as a starter, which is all you can ask of a backup player. In truth, he will probably start for his next team, not because he is a great player, but because there is a dearth of starting T's that can have fewer bad games in a season as a starter than Yosh.
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
10 Jul 2023 09:41
TheSkeptic wrote:
Labrev wrote:

**snip** He got called for holding and Rodgers still got sacked. And that Lion was a rookie.
It's one game. He held down the LT spot all year just two seasons ago and our offense did not miss a beat, including a shut-out against Nick Bosa (arguably could have prevented our 2021 playoff loss in which the 9ers D ate us alive if we played him at LT instead of Turner).

He is adequate as a starter, which is all you can ask of a backup player. In truth, he will probably start for his next team, not because he is a great player, but because there is a dearth of starting T's that can have fewer bad games in a season as a starter than Yosh.
I agree that Yosh should have played LT in that playoff game. And that he has played well at LT. I just think he cannot play any position except LT and I am not sure why this seems to be the case.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Jul 2023 10:01
Labrev wrote:
10 Jul 2023 09:41
TheSkeptic wrote:

I agree that Yosh should have played LT in that playoff game. And that he has played well at LT. I just think he cannot play any position except LT and I am not sure why this seems to be the case.
could be that Nijman will never transition and be able to play the right side, I brought a article that says just that, so much is 180 different from one side to the other, what comes naturally playing one side requires to much thinking and relearning when ya switch sides, and thinking about what ya need to do in the course of doing it is a mortal sin at the NFL level, thinking is what ya do when ya practice, not allowed in actual games :mrgreen:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I went with Dequara again for the same reasons I gave prior, vote two went to Reed, he is just to good not to make this tier.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

People seem to think Deguara is doomed because he is being trained at FB just as we added two great TE talents. Au contraire.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
10 Jul 2023 11:30

People seem to think Deguara is doomed because he is being trained at FB just as we added two great TE talents. Au contraire.
just look at all the variables having HB/FB guy like Dequara brings to the run game, bigger then average true FB's his lead blocks should be more explosive, and his ability to line up in multiple positions disguises the run options, coaches love the versatility a guy like Dequara brings, I don't see his game snaps dropping because we brought in Kraft or Musgrave, theres plenty of snaps for all 3 of these guys

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I went with Deguara and Reed.

I expect Reed to get significant snaps in the slot this year.

Deguara, IMO has been underrated in that he isn't a TE, but is compared to TE stats. I think he is an important part of the run game and a decent check down option.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Toure because of the current hype around him. I think he's going to shine this preseason and earn some quality reps in the regular season!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

For Deguara to shine it is necessary for MLF to do some serious scheme changes. When AR was in charge that did not happen. Maybe it will this year. Deguara needs to be in the backfield or in motion more often than not or Musgrave and even even Kraft is a better option.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

We're in the Twilight Zone of players. Hoping for the good plot twists. I'll give Toure and Owens a shot.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Jul 2023 09:33
APB wrote:
Well &%$@. That’s what I get for not paying attention.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
10 Jul 2023 20:03
TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Jul 2023 09:33
APB wrote:
Well &%$@. That’s what I get for not paying attention.
Totally did the same thing at first, lol.