Rank the Roster 2023: #29

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers?

Poll ended at 25 Jul 2023 10:32

Tucker Kraft
9%
Jonathan Owens
3%
Samori Toure
22%
Josiah Deguara
38%
Isaiah McDuffie
6%
Jonathan Ford
6%
Carrington Valentine
3%
Sean Clifford
No votes
Tariq Carpenter
No votes
Royce Newman
3%
Sean Rhyan
No votes
Shemar Jean-Charles
No votes
Anthony Johnson Jr
No votes
Justin Hollins
3%
Colby Wooden
3%
Tarvarius Moore
3%

Total votes: 32

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2023: #29

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2023 Edition

1. Jaire Alexander (43%)[+2]
2. Aaron Jones (26%)[+6]
3. David Bakhtiari (34%)[+1]
4. Kenny Clark (50%)[-2]
5. Rashan Gary (57%)[+1]
6. Elgton Jenkins (54%)[-1]
7. DeVondre Campbell (29%)[--]
8. Christian Watson (32%)[+14]
9. Jordan Love (32%)[+21]
10. Preston Smith (32%)[+2]
11. Rasul Douglas (29%)[+2]
12. AJ Dillon (27%)[-1]
13. Keisean Nixon (36%)[+19]
14. Quay Walker (36%)[+5]
15. Romeo Doubs (27%)[+20]
16. Devonte Wyatt (39%)[+3]
17. Zach Tom (31%)[+20]
18. Lukas Van Ness (24%)[R]
19. John Runyan (27%)[-1]
20. Darnell Savage (31%)[-6]
21. Josh Myers (44%)[-5]
22T. Eric Stokes (44%)[-12]
22T. Luke Musgrave (24%)[R]
24. TJ Slaton (18%)[+5]
25. Kingsley Enagbare (30%)[+11]
26. Rudy Ford (30%)[+10]
27. Jayden Reed (27%)[R]
28. Yosh Nijman (36%)[-1]
29. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2022 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

After a bit of a hiatus relaxing in northern Wi, back at it here just before camp.

Starting to get to the point where I can get on the Deguara train. I've overhyped him in previous years, only to see a lot of nada during the season. Yet to really see him make a great play. But I also certainly recognize that GB hasn't run an offense other than the Rodgers offense for a long time; whatever influence Mac and MLF claim to have, #12 gave the ball to who he wanted to plain and simple. I expect Love to run the GB offense a lot more like how MLF wants it run, which likely means an increased role for the FB/TE. While Rodgers went there a lot in earlier years (Kuhn), Lewis ate many of those opportunities in more recent years. Experience will get him on the field.

I'll also go Owens. I think he'll see use on D and ST. It would be king of dumb to run big nickel too often given GB's quality bias toward CB's over S's (and Quay, big nickel masks LB coverage weaknesses), but there likely are opponents and situations where it would be employed occasionally, and I think he's part of that group at least.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Toure and Kraft. Although Musgrave will be the defacto TE1, I suspect Kraft will get a ton of use and may even lead the clubhouse in snaps at the position. I expect Deguara will have a role, but I think it will continue to be specialized and small.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Since we are getting down to the end here, I will handicap some of my thinking with the guys remaining:

Kraft > Deguara
Moore > Johnson Jr. > Owens

I think after Toure and Kraft, I kind of like the group of McDuffie, Ford, and Valentine... throw Justin Hollins and Deguara in there, too. Then, looking more at ST/possible defensive role for the safety trio and Tariq Carpenter. Wooden and Brooks I think are a year away. They will probably log some snaps, but fine with them coming after everyone else I mentioned.

Clifford, Newman, Rhyan, and SJC are not getting any consideration from me until another 10 guys or so come off the list. Dalin Leavitt, Dontayvion Wicks, Innis Gaines, Tyler Goodson, Brenton Cox, La'Darius Hamilton, Caleb Jones, and Tyler Davis are other guys that are likely fighting for bottom of the roster positions and likely better than some of the other guys already on the list for votes.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

In case this is the last one.

[mention]Waldo[/mention]
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Always look forward to this during the slow offseason. Thanks for running this again.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I have a feeling this could be Aaron Jones last season, so imo he'll see 20 touches a game average between running and receiving, and that means more work for a lead blocker like Dequara.
Dequara and Ford today.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jul 2023 11:45
In case this is the last one.

@Waldo
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Always look forward to this during the slow offseason. Thanks for running this again.
Echo this. Thank you [mention]Waldo[/mention] for another year of this!

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

I'm not sure I understand how that works but I chose Tucker and Valentine as the two players who will have the most impact this season of the players listed. With the depth chart at tight end being completely unknown entering the season I fully expect Tucker to receive a lot of snaps and hope he will be productive despite rookies having a tough time making an immediate impact at the position.

It might be surprising that I chose Valentine as the second player but I read that he received some playing time with the first defense ahead of Ballentine in offseason practices while Alexander and Douglas didn't show up. With Stokes being on the PUP list he might get a chance to prove he's capable of contributing early in camp.
Waldo wrote:
24 Jul 2023 10:48
Starting to get to the point where I can get on the Deguara train. I've overhyped him in previous years, only to see a lot of nada during the season. Yet to really see him make a great play. But I also certainly recognize that GB hasn't run an offense other than the Rodgers offense for a long time; whatever influence Mac and MLF claim to have, #12 gave the ball to who he wanted to plain and simple. I expect Love to run the GB offense a lot more like how MLF wants it run, which likely means an increased role for the FB/TE. While Rodgers went there a lot in earlier years (Kuhn), Lewis ate many of those opportunities in more recent years. Experience will get him on the field.
I highly doubt Deguara will have significantly more impact than in past seasons.
Yoop wrote:
24 Jul 2023 11:49
I have a feeling this could be Aaron Jones last season, so imo he'll see 20 touches a game average between running and receiving, and that means more work for a lead blocker like Dequara.
With the Packers saving less than $5 million of cap space by moving on from Jones after this season I believe he will be back with the team in 2024.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I went with Colby Wooden and Toure. They both have the attitude and the athletic ability to be better than this position (29th choice). So could Kraft but Musgrave is just too damn good to take off the field.

Thanks for making the offseason less boring!

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

CWIMM wrote:
25 Jul 2023 03:42
I'm not sure I understand how that works...
The beauty is it works however you want. Some of us are going purely on who we think is most talented, some are going by importance to the team, and some are going by a combination of a whole bunch of factors. Then next year we can all look back on how dumb we were to pick ______ at #__. ;)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
25 Jul 2023 19:37
Then next year we can all look back on how dumb we were to pick ______ at #__. ;)
I will definitely be able to relate to being dumb when looking back on my takes next year :)