Training Camp - 07/29

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Couple comments below on Tyler Goodson from Paul Bretl

Tyler Goodson's versatility is a differentiator in RB3 battle

"You name it, and there is a good chance that Tyler Goodson has been asked to do it. During Saturday’s practice alone, Goodson got carries out of the backfield and caught passes as well. He has lined up out of the backfield, in the slot, and out wide, along with being used as the motion man. As I wrote about here, I expect motion to be much more prominent in the Packers’ offense this season, and Goodson, with his skill set, could fill a Tyler Ervin-like role. The more a player that’s fighting for a roster spot can do, the better, and Goodson is doing a lot right now. If I were building out the depth chart based on what I’ve seen, Goodson would be the third running back"

You'd expect Goodson to shine early in camp - he knows the offense and is a dynamic ( not a power) player. Once pads come on, different guys will stand out. But his versatility gives him a leg up on the RB3 spot and GB can easily carry Patrick Taylor on PS.
IT. IS. TIME

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I want to hear about Lew Nichols after pads come on. I think he can be a 3 down back.

In 2024 it may be Dillon, Nichols, and Goodson, with Jones gone.
Last edited by Ghost_Lombardi on 30 Jul 2023 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Jul 2023 08:20
TheSkeptic wrote:
30 Jul 2023 03:30
lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Jul 2023 00:44

I don’t agree. He is a great playmaker but the release and route running nuances of a WR aren’t going to be there. You will have to get creative about getting him open in space which often telegraphs where the ball is going in todays game IMO and it doesn’t work on better defenses. I think it will be fine for a random game against low level competition to add something to other DCs preparation but I don’t see this being a thing once in the playoffs or in big games.
Playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????

What is wrong with using him as the receiver in a WR screen? Or putting him in the backfield on 3rd down expecting an outlet pass or a draw? End arounds? None of these are especially creative but all of them depend on getting a defensive player to miss, which Nixon is good at. And yes, as a decoy.
This is similar to how I feel about when people wanted the pony package. Every time we put 2 RBs on the field at the same time it makes the offense worse because Dillon doesn’t lead block as well a TE/FB, he doesn’t run routes as well as a WR/TE, and he isn’t as good a runner as Jones.

Putting Nixon on the field at any position makes the offense worse IMO. By putting him in the backfield means you’re taking Jones out of that position. Putting him at WR means you’re taking a WR off the field.
I thought the pony package was good innovation, since for a few games it got Aaron Jones in favorable matchups when he motioned to wide receiver position. But since Jones is not as good of a WR than actual WRs, he stopped winning those reps when teams countered the formation with one more DB or by switching the coverage. And Dillon is no FB, so when you ran out of it, you were worse off than with for example Deguara.

Last season I was holding up hope that Jones would develop enough at it for the formation to once again become relevant, but that didn't happen.

If Musgrave and Kraft are all we hope for, it'll be fascinating to see what LaFleur comes up next season. Heck, super interesting to see how much Love -specific stuff we have this season!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Man Jordan Love is doing exactly what you want. Improvement every year. Improvement every day.

The fact this guy is throwing a lot of deep balls is also awesome. He is practicing the big plays and starting to connect on them.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
30 Jul 2023 11:27
Couple comments below on Tyler Goodson from Paul Bretl

Tyler Goodson's versatility is a differentiator in RB3 battle

"You name it, and there is a good chance that Tyler Goodson has been asked to do it. During Saturday’s practice alone, Goodson got carries out of the backfield and caught passes as well. He has lined up out of the backfield, in the slot, and out wide, along with being used as the motion man. As I wrote about here, I expect motion to be much more prominent in the Packers’ offense this season, and Goodson, with his skill set, could fill a Tyler Ervin-like role. The more a player that’s fighting for a roster spot can do, the better, and Goodson is doing a lot right now. If I were building out the depth chart based on what I’ve seen, Goodson would be the third running back"

You'd expect Goodson to shine early in camp - he knows the offense and is a dynamic ( not a power) player. Once pads come on, different guys will stand out. But his versatility gives him a leg up on the RB3 spot and GB can easily carry Patrick Taylor on PS.
thanks, I read this and didn't bring it though, Goodson, like Jones, Nixon etc. has the vision to see his blocking forming up which imo gives a runner the patience to let that happen, that what I remember from Goodson last year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Loves deep ball accuracy should put to rest that his ball flight doesn't flutter, I wish the practice vids had more clarity but I havn't see any of his passes not be nice spirals.

It's hard not to be impressed so far with Jordan Love

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

BSA wrote:
29 Jul 2023 15:18
I think the RT competition is unofficially over. Zach Tom is the likely starter for 2023/4 season- he certainly earned it
And if you think about it - this alignment makes the most sense. With Bak on modified practice schedule all year- they need to put somebody at LT to cover his snaps in practice and TC. And Nijman is a better LT than RT at this stage in his development. So Yosh will be the swing tackle AND handle LT snaps when Bak is resting; Zach Tom will be the starter at RT going into the season.
In my opinion it's far too early to tell who will end up starting at right tackle. They haven't even practiced in pads so far.
Scott4Pack wrote:
29 Jul 2023 16:49
I’m beyond thrilled that they gave Nixon some snaps catching passes. It doesn’t show that they are serious about it - yet. But he’s a guy who is just electric with the ball in his hands. He needs offensive snaps.
I'm definitely opposed to Nixon getting snaps on offense. The team has enough players better suited to get the job done.
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
30 Jul 2023 11:45
With the Packers not saving a lot of cap space by moving on from Jones next offseason I fully expect him to be on the roster in 2024 as well.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
30 Jul 2023 14:41
You'd have to be comatose not to get excited about these reports. :)

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
I want to hear about Lew Nichols after pads come on. I think he can be a 3 down back.

There's this "home town" guy type of vibe Jones gives off, so I think a lot of fans are going to be surprised if/when Jones is gone by next year, but when hearing his recent comments regarding backs and pay.... it shouldn't be much of a surprise.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

CWIMM wrote:
31 Jul 2023 05:58

Scott4Pack wrote:
29 Jul 2023 16:49
I’m beyond thrilled that they gave Nixon some snaps catching passes. It doesn’t show that they are serious about it - yet. But he’s a guy who is just electric with the ball in his hands. He needs offensive snaps.
I'm definitely opposed to Nixon getting snaps on offense. The team has enough players better suited to get the job done.

I see nothing wrong with it. Last season I think Nixon even made a subtle suggestion to get some work on offense. That is a very young group of guys at WR and one could argue that this is the "weakest" group we've had in a long time. We have a lot of unknowns right now.
RIP JustJeff

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

TheGreenMan wrote:
31 Jul 2023 09:31
I see nothing wrong with it. Last season I think Nixon even made a subtle suggestion to get some work on offense. That is a very young group of guys at WR and one could argue that this is the "weakest" group we've had in a long time. We have a lot of unknowns right now.
I agree the wide receiving corps is a huge question mark entering this season. With that being said I don't consider Nixon taking away snaps from any of them would improve the talent level on it though.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheGreenMan wrote:
31 Jul 2023 09:23
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

There's this "home town" guy type of vibe Jones gives off, so I think a lot of fans are going to be surprised if/when Jones is gone by next year, but when hearing his recent comments regarding backs and pay.... it shouldn't be much of a surprise.
I think I read that it cost about us as much to cut Jones as it does for us to keep him, so why would we get rid of his production, unless he became a injury concern, which is possible, but Jones is a 1500 yard a season player.

and ya don't dump a player because he feels his position is under paid.

I look at this young group of receivers in terms of what have you shown me your capable of so far, so far in camp they look pretty good, and while Watson had a slow start and Doubs had some rookie mistakes, both finished strong, even Toure the last receiver taken in that draft this season looks like he should have been a much higher pick, and this years class with Reed especially looks pretty good to, imho this is the best our receiver group has been since 2011

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
03 Aug 2023 07:44
I think I read that it cost about us as much to cut Jones as it does for us to keep him, so why would we get rid of his production, unless he became a injury concern, which is possible, but Jones is a 1500 yard a season player.
The Packers would save $4.8 million of cap space by moving on from Jones after this season. In my opinion not enough to let him walk away next year.
Yoop wrote:
I look at this young group of receivers in terms of what have you shown me your capable of so far, so far in camp they look pretty good, and while Watson had a slow start and Doubs had some rookie mistakes, both finished strong, even Toure the last receiver taken in that draft this season looks like he should have been a much higher pick, and this years class with Reed especially looks pretty good to, imho this is the best our receiver group has been since 2011
There's no Watson and to some degree Doubs showed promise during their rookie campaigns. But it will be tougher for them to make plays this season with defenses not having to worry about any other receivers anymore and having a first year starter at quarterback. FWIW Doubs had only 11 receptions for 111 yards over his last four games in 2023.

I don't put a lot of stock into their performance in practice. Heck, Jeff Janis looked like an All-Pro receiver during camp as well.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

CWIMM wrote:
04 Aug 2023 04:17
I don't put a lot of stock into their performance in practice. Heck, Jeff Janis looked like an All-Pro receiver during camp as well.
When not in his QBs doghouse, he looked like an All-Pro receiver during the season, too. ;)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
Yoop wrote:
The Packers would save $4.8 million of cap space by moving on from Jones after this season. In my opinion not enough to let him walk away next year.
Yoop wrote:
There's no Watson and to some degree Doubs showed promise during their rookie campaigns. But it will be tougher for them to make plays this season with defenses not having to worry about any other receivers anymore and having a first year starter at quarterback. FWIW Doubs had only 11 receptions for 111 yards over his last four games in 2023.

why will it be tougher for WAtson and Doubs? I don't see why you'd say that, they have a improved Toure, and nothing is going to stop Lafleur from using Reed as his go to slot guy, or as a deep threat, add in Wicks and the TE's and Watson and Doubs will have plenty of help.

actually some media report only expects us to win 4 games, I see no reason for that kind of pessimism , as long as the defense isn't atrocious this offense will be much better then that, but we'll see.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
04 Aug 2023 06:01
CWIMM wrote:
When not in his QBs doghouse, he looked like an All-Pro receiver during the season, too. ;)
really, Janis was pond scum, his whole claim to fame was he caught a TD pass in a PO game, seriously we kept him for 4 years, and had a 45% catch to target ratio or 17 catches on 38 targeted throws, he was a inconsistent route runner with poor hands and was out of football shortly after Cleveland picked him up when we cut him loose.
he opened a tire shop in lower Mi. a year later :)

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
04 Aug 2023 07:41
APB wrote:
04 Aug 2023 06:01
CWIMM wrote:
really, Janis was pond scum, his whole claim to fame was he caught a TD pass in a PO game, seriously we kept him for 4 years, and had a 45% catch to target ratio or 17 catches on 38 targeted throws, he was a inconsistent route runner with poor hands and was out of football shortly after Cleveland picked him up when we cut him loose.
he opened a tire shop in lower Mi. a year later :)
R-E-L-A-X

and

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I stand by Janis being a star is Dumbarious didn’t $%@# that game up.
Cancelled by the forum elites.