Mark Murphy at Northwestern - OT?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Mark Murphy at Northwestern - OT?

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

It may be OT.

I don't want it to be a distraction for the team this year. Murphy is 68 and has said he wants to retire at 70. If it becomes a distraction he should step down.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Team rules say he must retire at 70

From last year:
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... n-for-2025
“The organization’s executive committee has started to make plans for the process and timeline to find my successor,” Murphy wrote. “It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as the Packers president. I plan on making the last three years as successful as possible, with multiple Super Bowl championships!”
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I don't know all the details, but I seriously doubt there is any distraction the the team as far as playing games. If it was MLF, sure. But Murphy, betting half the players have never even talked to him and couldn't pick him out of a lineup.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

He was named in the greater hazing lawsuit since he was university president at the time. No direct involvement, he's just part of it as the overall Grand Poo-Bah.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Murphy leaving is bad for the brand of the Packers. He’s done so much for the area of Green Bay making it an enjoyable destination for tourists.

For the competitive side of the team it’s best Murphy goes. The sooner Murphy goes the sooner Gutenbumst goes and that’s what’s truly best for this team.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

APB wrote:
04 Aug 2023 16:03
He was named in the greater hazing lawsuit since he was university president at the time. No direct involvement, he's just part of it as the overall Grand Poo-Bah.
I thought he was AD at the time. It would be during the time that black players were pressured into watermelon eating contests as well as recruits, some under 18, experienced physical and sexual abuse. Negligence suggests that Murphy was either aware of it or should have been. We'll have to wait until more facts come out, if they ever do.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Aug 2023 16:13
Murphy leaving is bad for the brand of the Packers. He’s done so much for the area of Green Bay making it an enjoyable destination for tourists.

For the competitive side of the team it’s best Murphy goes. The sooner Murphy goes the sooner Gutenbumst goes and that’s what’s truly best for this team.
Good analysis.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
04 Aug 2023 18:52
APB wrote:
04 Aug 2023 16:03
I thought he was AD at the time. It would be during the time that black players were pressured into watermelon eating contests as well as recruits, some under 18, experienced physical and sexual abuse. Negligence suggests that Murphy was either aware of it or should have been. We'll have to wait until more facts come out, if they ever do.
You're right, he was AD not university president. That puts him more directly responsible, as you imply.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

What even happened at Northwestern? I haven't been keeping up. Usually when I see stories like this, it's some dumb BS that a bunch of crybabies came up with so that they could try to extort money from a society that caters to victimhood nowadays. The type of people who would have mental breakdowns by being exposed to any old generic mid-2000s Xbox lobby.

But I admittedly know almost nothing about this one so it could be legit.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

texas wrote:
12 Aug 2023 02:46
What even happened at Northwestern? I haven't been keeping up. Usually when I see stories like this, it's some dumb BS that a bunch of crybabies came up with so that they could try to extort money from a society that caters to victimhood nowadays. The type of people who would have mental breakdowns by being exposed to any old generic mid-2000s Xbox lobby.

But I admittedly know almost nothing about this one so it could be legit.
Lots of different allegations, including:

- forcing recruits and freshmen to eat or drink until the point that they were ill or vomiting
- forced or coerced sexual nudity and acts of a sexual nature
- pressure washing naked players
- forcing black recruits to eat watermelon in front of other team members
- forcing black athletes to change the color or cuts of their hair

All of this is a violation of the school's hazing policy. As the story has unfolded, more players have come forward with similar stories, as have players who were involved in other sports. As time goes on we may see that it was a larger issue in the athletic department, not just limited to the football program. And of course many players have stood up for the football program too, so the information goes both ways.

In terms of leadership it is a matter, I think, of what the coaches and AD knew and what they should have known.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
12 Aug 2023 07:47
Lots of different allegations, including:

- forcing recruits and freshmen to eat or drink until the point that they were ill or vomiting
- forced or coerced sexual nudity and acts of a sexual nature
- pressure washing naked players
- forcing black recruits to eat watermelon in front of other team members
- forcing black athletes to change the color or cuts of their hair

All of this is a violation of the school's hazing policy. As the story has unfolded, more players have come forward with similar stories, as have players who were involved in other sports. As time goes on we may see that it was a larger issue in the athletic department, not just limited to the football program. And of course many players have stood up for the football program too, so the information goes both ways.

In terms of leadership it is a matter, I think, of what the coaches and AD knew and what they should have known.
I might add that Pat Fitzgerald, the head coach at Northwestern since 2006, was dismissed this offseason because of the hazing allegations.