Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Pugger wrote:
04 Aug 2023 08:31
I have a feeling Lewis will be as effective for the Bears as Jimmy Graham was... ;)
Lewis is definitely an upgrade over Graham in pass protection and blocking for the run.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

CWIMM wrote:
07 Aug 2023 04:27
Pugger wrote:
04 Aug 2023 08:31
I have a feeling Lewis will be as effective for the Bears as Jimmy Graham was... ;)
Lewis is definitely an upgrade over Graham in pass protection and blocking for the run.
Every slot and rep taken by a geezer, takes away the chance of finding a diamond in rough, or just a player you could get 4 or 5 years out of. It speaks to them being afraid ownership of duh bares has been transferred to Love.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The Patriots are dead to [mention]Yoop[/mention]...

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Cdragon wrote:
07 Aug 2023 06:43
Every slot and rep taken by a geezer, takes away the chance of finding a diamond in rough, or just a player you could get 4 or 5 years out of. It speaks to them being afraid ownership of duh bares has been transferred to Love.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't advocating for the Packers to re-sign Lewis. That doesn't mean it was a terrible move for the Bears though. In addition I highly doubt that move has anything to do with the Packers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
07 Aug 2023 16:36
The Patriots are dead to @Yoop...

you know me, if ya don't have any bullets, what good is that shinny chrome plated Schofield, NE's QB wont need a arm, but he better have some legs :mrgreen:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
08 Aug 2023 03:45
Cdragon wrote:
07 Aug 2023 06:43
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't advocating for the Packers to re-sign Lewis. That doesn't mean it was a terrible move for the Bears though. In addition I highly doubt that move has anything to do with the Packers.
the Bears need anyone with blocking ability, and the next man up is Lewis, smart money, the Bears have been a run first team, what better then to have a blocking TE, I was surprised we didn't resign him.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Figured there must be something off with him with the all HC hype he got and interviews and never got a job. Also likely hurt he’s never called plays that I’m aware of.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
01 Aug 2023 21:23
Might as well. Nearly everybody I know here in VA still refers to them as the Redskins or ‘Skins. I don’t know anybody who calls them Commanders.

Love it.
I wish I could summon some of the polls that went around the DC area years ago about this. The general question was whether native Americans were offended by the name “Redskins” representing this sports franchise. The question was asked of people who identified themselves with some of the nearby tribes. And well over 80% of the respondents were indifferent to the name of that team.

Same for the Cleveland Indians.

Same for the Marquette Warriors. (As if there were anything wrong with warriors.)

Someday soon, perhaps the only sport team names allowed that represent humans, would be something like the Gardeners or the Musicians. Something so innocuous that it’d have no possible intimidation factor or local flavor.

Our local minor league baseball team is the Chihuahuas. At first, I was completely thrown off by this. Hahaha. But after seeing the logo with the little doggies swinging those bones, as if they were bats, it’s grown on me. But I still long for something more, um, studly.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Why would they change back to the skins if they can't derive exclusive rights to the name and logo? Money is going to drive a change to a new name and logo.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
08 Aug 2023 07:24
the Bears need anyone with blocking ability, and the next man up is Lewis, smart money, the Bears have been a run first team, what better then to have a blocking TE, I was surprised we didn't resign him.
With the Packers having drafted Musgrave and Tucker as well as using Deguara as a fullback I didn't see any need of bringing back Lewis. Especially considering I don't expect them to contend for a playoff spot anyway.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

CWIMM wrote:
09 Aug 2023 03:12
Yoop wrote:
With the Packers having drafted Musgrave and Tucker as well as using Deguara as a fullback I didn't see any need of bringing back Lewis. Especially considering I don't expect them to contend for a playoff spot anyway.
I do. I still think this team is frontrunner for the division.

Read More. Post Less.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

NCF wrote:
09 Aug 2023 07:25
CWIMM wrote:
Yoop wrote:
I think we are contenders for the division or a WC but I'm looking at 2024 when we can make some real noise with a FA or two so I don't want to waste snaps on an old man. The young guys will be so much better for the snaps that would be eaten up by Big Dog. Let duh bares who've been rebuilding for the last decade waste snaps instead of trying to find future players.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
CWIMM wrote:
Yoop wrote:
If you want to be a front runner you gotta get younger. If you overpay for old trash players like Lewis you are going to lose.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
CWIMM wrote:
Yoop wrote:
CWIMM has to be a Missourian, the seeing is believing state :lol:

so many reason why we will fail to achieve, so many, just wait till next year comments, like you I'am more optimistic, we have a coach that believes Love is more ready then most fans do, and also doesn't hold a rookie out until he knows the play book cover to cover.

I also believe most of our defensive struggles last year where a direct result of inconsistent pass rush, and terminology issues in the secondary, it's easy to blame the coach, but those issues would make it tough for any DC

I still think we'll win 10 to 12 regular season games

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2023 09:29
NCF wrote:
CWIMM wrote:

If you want to be a front runner you gotta get younger. If you overpay for old trash players like Lewis you are going to lose.
we'll see who picks up the blocking ability of Lewis, to discount what Lewis has brought to our run game, is the same as saying no one should ever give a 2nd contract to a RB, when there production easily warrants there 2nd contract, same with the small contracts lewis has played for with us

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
09 Aug 2023 09:53
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2023 09:29
NCF wrote:

we'll see who picks up the blocking ability of Lewis, to discount what Lewis has brought to our run game, is the same as saying no one should ever give a 2nd contract to a RB, when there production easily warrants there 2nd contract, same with the small contracts lewis has played for with us
First of all, this notion that Lewis is the best blocking TE in the league is false. He’s good but he isn’t even graded in the top 5 and it doesn’t warrant his complete lack of ability in the passing game.

Additionally, analytics has proven that the best way to manage the RB position is to draft one, franchise tag them one time if the situation warrants itself, and repeat.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2023 11:33
First of all, this notion that Lewis is the best blocking TE in the league is false. He’s good but he isn’t even graded in the top 5....
So let's see that grading list...

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
09 Aug 2023 17:36
So let's see that grading list..
Some great clips here of Lewis manhandling a DE one on one - including Aidan Hutchinson.
(Unfortunately, its from a bearsfan, but well done just the same)

Pretty sure the bears will try to throw Marcedes a TD in the opener. 8-)

IT. IS. TIME

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

NCF wrote:
I would like to share your optimism but can't. As mentioned before I see the Packers competing with the Bears for third place in the division.
Yoop wrote:
09 Aug 2023 09:48
CWIMM has to be a Missourian, the seeing is believing state :lol:
You're only off by approximately 5,000 miles ;)
APB wrote:
09 Aug 2023 17:36
So let's see that grading list...
According to PFF Lewis was graded 12th in pass blocking as well as fifth in run blocking last season.

FYI there wasn't any tight end who was graded better than him in both categories though.