Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
08 Aug 2023 16:26
APB wrote:
01 Aug 2023 21:23
Might as well. Nearly everybody I know here in VA still refers to them as the Redskins or ‘Skins. I don’t know anybody who calls them Commanders.

Love it.
I wish I could summon some of the polls that went around the DC area years ago about this. The general question was whether native Americans were offended by the name “Redskins” representing this sports franchise. The question was asked of people who identified themselves with some of the nearby tribes. And well over 80% of the respondents were indifferent to the name of that team.

Same for the Cleveland Indians.

Same for the Marquette Warriors. (As if there were anything wrong with warriors.)

Someday soon, perhaps the only sport team names allowed that represent humans, would be something like the Gardeners or the Musicians. Something so innocuous that it’d have no possible intimidation factor or local flavor.

Our local minor league baseball team is the Chihuahuas. At first, I was completely thrown off by this. Hahaha. But after seeing the logo with the little doggies swinging those bones, as if they were bats, it’s grown on me. But I still long for something more, um, studly.
this should help you understand how Native Americans feel about the name and how using it white washes there heritage, it is the same as we have done to African Americans, we have a tendency to marginalize other races, Grace it is not just a name, it is a nationality, a race of people.

It is beyond shameful that players and Fans want to revitalize it's usage.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/term-racia ... 23125.html

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
08 Aug 2023 10:44

Figured there must be something off with him with the all HC hype he got and interviews and never got a job. Also likely hurt he’s never called plays that I’m aware of.
I am seeing pretty positive reactions from WAS fans to this. They don't sympathize much with complaints against him because the team has a culture of dysfunction and Bieniemy comes from a KC team with winning culture, so they are willing to let the new OC cook.

Bieniemy could well be inept, but I am sympathetic to the idea that WAS needs a kick in the nuts.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Labrev wrote:
10 Aug 2023 09:42
BF004 wrote:
08 Aug 2023 10:44

Figured there must be something off with him with the all HC hype he got and interviews and never got a job. Also likely hurt he’s never called plays that I’m aware of.
I am seeing pretty positive reactions from WAS fans to this. They don't sympathize much with complaints against him because the team has a culture of dysfunction and Bieniemy comes from a KC team with winning culture, so they are willing to let the new OC cook.

Bieniemy could well be inept, but I am sympathetic to the idea that WAS needs a kick in the nuts.
Ron Rivera, to me, has always seemed like the obstinate hard ass in the room. Just always seems to have a scowl, angry, and sort of dumb. Jack Del Rio seems to be that "players' coach" type, but I could be wrong about that. This is the first time I've had a chance to read Eric Bieniemy's name in text. Whenever I've heard his name mentioned by a podcaster/host, it has sounded like Eric "The Enemy." Ironically, maybe it made sense. :?:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Captain_Ben wrote:
10 Aug 2023 10:14
it has sounded like Eric "The Enemy."
Why do you think Chris Berman called him "Eric Sleeping with Bieniemy"?

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
10 Aug 2023 08:44
Scott4Pack wrote:
APB wrote:
Might as well. Nearly everybody I know here in VA still refers to them as the Redskins or ‘Skins. I don’t know anybody who calls them Commanders.

Love it.
I wish I could summon some of the polls that went around the DC area years ago about this. The general question was whether native Americans were offended by the name “Redskins” representing this sports franchise. The question was asked of people who identified themselves with some of the nearby tribes. And well over 80% of the respondents were indifferent to the name of that team.

Same for the Marquette Warriors. (As if there were anything wrong with warriors.)

Someday soon, perhaps the only sport team names allowed that represent humans, would be something like the Gardeners or the Musicians. Something so innocuous that it’d have no possible intimidation factor or local flavor.

Our local minor league baseball team is the Chihuahuas. At first, I was completely thrown off by this. Hahaha. But after seeing the logo with the little doggies swinging those bones, as if they were bats, it’s grown on me. But I still long for something more, um, studly.
this should help you understand how Native Americans feel about the name and how using it white washes there heritage, it is the same as we have done to African Americans, we have a tendency to marginalize other races, Grace it is not just a name, it is a nationality, a race of people.

Yoop, while I appreciate you sharing, I couldn’t disagree more. The vast majority of native Americans did not disagree with the Redskin name. And for that matter, check your history. You should find that “white Americans” are not the only heritage, nor the only ethnic groups that enslaved African people, or any others. I would appreciate if you didn’t hang all of the sins of slavery upon the “evil” Americans. Everybody played a part, or nearly everybody for that matter. Meanwhile, going back to discuss the sins of over 100 years ago is fruitless. It only stirs of the division and strife. I’ve known too many black friends of mine who were to busy trying to befriend white guys and would succeed fine at it if the culture would just stop driving a wedge where it isn’t needed.

Or if this continues, I might learn to hate the “Packers” name, for it represents an abused group of people who were virtually enslaved by the elites, forced into extremely low paying jobs, with no health care to speak of, poor conditions (with no heat in the meat freezers and such), and lack of respect by their community (at least until Curly Lambeau came along). Nobody should need to “pack” as it belittles the human experience. Perhaps we should all be identified as princes, instead of packers. And we can all finally be treated with equity.

Finally, you realize that I’m being sarcastic, right? I really only want for America to jump OFF that endless merry-go-round about all things showing our forefathers as vulgar, privileged, enslavers. There’s no use in that for anybody. Thanks for “hearing” me now.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Aug 2023 13:23
That was on offense, right?

While that is surprising, it really isn’t surprising. ;-)
I thought for a while last year that all our offense lacked was scoring TDs enough. When we lost Tae, we didn’t have enough guys who know how to score regularly. Even Showtyme’s TD production fell.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

No 3rd downs between the 20s, to many in the red zone. :x

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Yoop wrote:
10 Aug 2023 08:44
Scott4Pack wrote:
APB wrote:

Love it.

A few notes from my experience: most "native americans" wish to be called Indians. I have worked for the concerns of Indians mostly in Alaska but also in North and South Dakota. I was a card carrying member of the souix tribe at one time. But I am not interested in labels or being labled.

The proper term is "aboriginal american" by the way.

I'm not sure I like Redskins as a term, but it no longer was a derogatory representation. It is more about the football team than anything else.

I have seen all these attempts to change mascots and its just stupid. The FS Seminals were sued by ACLU to change their name despite over 95% of Seminals wanting to keep the name. Names like the Braves or Chiefs are actually very positive and show pride and appreciation. If you ask me, and most people should, those who oppose these are the racists.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

all it does is marginalize the plight of the American Indian just so they can use a reference to American Indians to name there &%$@

I live in a area with a lot of Native Americans, and I'am part Indian by birth, and I don't know of any that want to be called Indian per se, most want to be called a American

and that doesn't even matter anyway, the proper respect is to not use any race of people for naming anything, specially skin color.

the Washington team will never be named Redskins again, why? because it disgraceful.

if you don't think Acme packing company had a bunch of Native Americans employed back in 1919 you'd be wrong, Wi. had a lot of Natives back then (still do) yet, those people had respect for the Natives so they didn't use there heritage or race to name the team.

the lack of respect for Natives, is the same as the lack of respect for African Americans, we see now, just older

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

I have nordic decent. Does “Vikings” offend me? Not really. Would “white skins” or “yellow hairs”? Probably. No one wants to be called out based on stereotypes. Redskins was horrible and had nothing to do with praise for a culture. Now back to football.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m 1/16 Cherokee Indian. Direct descendant from the New Echota chapter in Alabama. The name Redskins was cool. It did not offend me.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Aug 2023 21:07
Yoop, while I appreciate you sharing, I couldn’t disagree more. The vast majority of native Americans did not disagree with the Redskin name. And for that matter, check your history. You should find that “white Americans” are not the only heritage, nor the only ethnic groups that enslaved African people, or any others. I would appreciate if you didn’t hang all of the sins of slavery upon the “evil” Americans. Everybody played a part, or nearly everybody for that matter. Meanwhile, going back to discuss the sins of over 100 years ago is fruitless. It only stirs of the division and strife. I’ve known too many black friends of mine who were to busy trying to befriend white guys and would succeed fine at it if the culture would just stop driving a wedge where it isn’t needed.
:beer2:
Last edited by Yoop on 11 Aug 2023 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Lot of concern with Jets OL. The center said AR was "frustrated" in practice. Is it beginning there?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
11 Aug 2023 16:12
Lot of concern with Jets OL. The center said AR was "frustrated" in practice. Is it beginning there?
seems the center said everyone was frustrated, not just Rodgers, but it seems he's the focus of every Jets article I read.
this is from bleacher which wont allow drag and paste.
The demeanor of New York Jets star Aaron Rodgers is beginning to subtly shift as he and the team inch closer to the 2023 NFL regular season.

"I sensed frustration from everybody—everybody on the O-line, Aaron, the coaches," Jets center Connor McGovern said after Wednesday's joint practice with the Carolina Panthers, per ESPN's Rich Cimini. "You can't go three-and-out in a two-minute drive like that. ... I think there was disappointment from the whole team."

Wide receiver Corey Davis said he could see Rodgers's personality "changing" based on how subsequent practices go.

"He's been real patient, real lenient with us, and working with us and making sure we get everything down, which is what we need," Davis said. "But I could imagine it going the other way if it doesn't pick up."

The Panthers defense got the better of Rodgers and New York's offense when he was on the field.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

There have been 6 turnovers in the 2nd quarter of Bears-Titans

The starters barely played. Justin Fields threw three very short passes, and two of them went for YAC TDs (100 of 118 yards were after the catch on a RB dumpoff and a WR screen)

Since then, just fumbles and ints and muffed punts everywhere. Truly "1st preseason game" chaotic energy

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The Jets' whole offense (regardless of which units and QBs were in the game) is screens. That's how you know that they know that their OL may be in trouble.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
13 Aug 2023 07:41
I dunno why it's saying it's unavailable; I clicked on it and it worked.

But it's just the stat--without engaging in judgement or the weird war of words between two unproven NFC North QBs that is rampant among the fandoms right now--that Fields through for 129 yards and 2 TDs with (-9) air yards.

Not an insult; just wild, as it says.

And I agree. Can't make any positive or negative claims based on that. He just did his job 3 times. And everyone else did their jobs so well that he didn't have to do anything else.

I will say the WR screen to Moore was the funniest because it moved him off his spot and the very mild inaccuracy may have worked like when a punt bounces and it throws everyone off or out of position to make the play on the returner.