Packers Bengals. First pre season game of the year

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Orlovsky drives me nuts sometimes with his overall takes

But MAN I like watching him break down QB play

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Brenton Cox had Bengals RT2 (Jackson Carmen, 3rd year player, #79) absolutely skating and spinning out there. Good grief

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Lots of talk about Valentine both in pass and run D.

Here's a fun look (top of the screen) at him fully discarding the receiver tasked with blocking him

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

2.4 second per release!?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

PFF Grades

Does this mean anything in preseason when the caliber of opposing players varies greatly throughout the game? Who knows. But nice to see good news from the secondary, OL, and receiving group... all youthful question marks

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pugger wrote:
12 Aug 2023 11:45

I hope there aren't true haters of Love. How can we tell what we have in him with the limited evidence so far? For me as long as he improves every week and shows he belongs I don't know what more we can ask. Having a good QB but crap around him won't save the day. Just ask Broncos fans.
Some people will think he is improving others won't.

As said there is limited evidence that he is good or bad but people will still judge him on that evidence.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
12 Aug 2023 18:16
Pugger wrote:

I hope there aren't true haters of Love. How can we tell what we have in him with the limited evidence so far? For me as long as he improves every week and shows he belongs I don't know what more we can ask. Having a good QB but crap around him won't save the day. Just ask Broncos fans.

As said there is limited evidence that he is good or bad but people will still judge him on that evidence.
I really do think that we're trying to glean too much from too little, like you say.

I don't think we'll have a good idea about Love's future until like late November?

Even then, I remember distinctly that when Rodgers signed his good-but-not-top-of-market extension as the starter of the future in late 2008, LOTS of people thought it was too soon and/or too much money. Even with Rodgers, an eventual 4-time MVP and 1st-ballot HoFer, 2/3 of a season wasn't enough evidence for everyone. Whatever the team decides to do with Love (keep that little hybrid contract, extend it, or look to replace him), many people who watched the same football will disagree with the conclusion the team reaches.

We're at the VERY beginning of this story. We don't know if it's a happy story or a sad story or a long story or a short story. But this is like chapter 2 or 3.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

That was the most fun preseason game I've watched since AR took over. For me this wasn't a Jordan love night it was looking at a new team identity without 12. And I freaking loved it. This team as moved forward and soon the fan base will also.

GB played fast. That's what I wanted to see. Fast and tough. They got pressure all game. They were chippy in the secondary.

Musgrave was never covered. The speed with wrs/TEs and the running game is gonna be exciting. My simple mind can think of all kinds of ways to be successful

Idk what love is yet but I believe he is good enough and 11 wins is very doable imo.

I watched the bears today. Yea field 3 passes went 9 yards to play makers. That d sucks ass. GB smokes them week 1. 31-13

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
12 Aug 2023 20:55
That was the most fun preseason game I've watched since AR took over. For me this wasn't a Jordan love night it was looking at a new team identity without 12. And I freaking loved it. This team as moved forward and soon the fan base will also.

GB played fast. That's what I wanted to see. Fast and tough. They got pressure all game. They were chippy in the secondary.

Musgrave was never covered. The speed with wrs/TEs and the running game is gonna be exciting. My simple mind can think of all kinds of ways to be successful

Idk what love is yet but I believe he is good enough and 11 wins is very doable imo.

I watched the bears today. Yea field 3 passes went 9 yards to play makers. That d sucks ass. GB smokes them week 1. 31-13
Great post! Agree; the team VIBE is what I am locking into as a fan this year. There's talent and there's the most fun, positive vibe. I heard a coach talk long ago about how younger teams don't know what they don't know yet; so it's easier for them to play free and confident;; they haven't been beaten down by life and 4-6 heartbreaking, soul crushing Conference Championship games yet.

These guys like each other--on offense and on defense and across the dividing lines. They're having fun. They're taking it seriously. And they believe in themselves and each other.

Maybe the vibe crashes down when faced with reality. Pr perhaps the vibe transcends reality and will create the outcomes we're all hoping for.

I have some significant questions around position groups or roster holes. I've never been one to demand a perfect team--teams all have holes. If they win the Super Bowl we pretend the holes never existed. If they lose the Super Bowl we blame the holes we knew were there all along. Anyway, I've taken my sleeping pill so I'm rambling. But the point is, I love this team's energy and I thinbnk they're talented enough that it's not some sad dunning kruger effect (google it)

Going to be a fun season, anywhere from 7 games to 12 games won, it'll be a ride. We'll go into the offseason with some clarity about what we need to do next. Except about Love. I would never guarantee clarity about a QB. Football fans are too unhinged for that.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The kicker though is the kicker is making me nervous. :thwap:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
13 Aug 2023 04:57
I kinda hope we bring in some competition to camp soon. Of course we can always give Mason a call...

:hide:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pugger wrote:
13 Aug 2023 06:38
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
13 Aug 2023 04:57
I kinda hope we bring in some competition to camp soon. Of course we can always give Mason a call...

:hide:
It's not like there are a lot of plays for them to learn. You can grab one off the shelf and stick him in at any point. I'd give the kid some more time.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Backthepack4ever wrote:

I fully concur with your current assessment. GO PACKERS!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2023 18:25
bud fox wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I really do think that we're trying to glean too much from too little, like you say.

I don't think we'll have a good idea about Love's future until like late November?

Even then, I remember distinctly that when Rodgers signed his good-but-not-top-of-market extension as the starter of the future in late 2008, LOTS of people thought it was too soon and/or too much money. Even with Rodgers, an eventual 4-time MVP and 1st-ballot HoFer, 2/3 of a season wasn't enough evidence for everyone. Whatever the team decides to do with Love (keep that little hybrid contract, extend it, or look to replace him), many people who watched the same football will disagree with the conclusion the team reaches.

We're at the VERY beginning of this story. We don't know if it's a happy story or a sad story or a long story or a short story. But this is like chapter 2 or 3.
After a year and a half of starting, Aaron Rodgers was 10-14.

Going into January 2011, Aaron Rodgers was only 27-21 and barely snuck into the playoffs of which his legacy was choking on a missed throw to seal the deal in AZ.

Yes. We need to give time to let the story play out.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
That was the most fun preseason game I've watched since AR took over.
Though I agree that this game was fun, nothing will top the dress rehearsal game (when they actually had them) of 2009 in Glendale, AZ.

The Bengals game didn't top the 2009 week 3 preseason game.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2023 17:57
Orlovsky drives me nuts sometimes with his overall takes

But MAN I like watching him break down QB play

I'd rather have it be a physical mistake rather than a mental mistake.

Love read what he needed to read, moved the defender with his eyes, but was just off with the throw.

Favre used to make this thrown and move the defender not with his eyes, but with his arm slot. The young Favre had some of the most incredible throwing dynamics when it came to moving guys with his arm slot.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
13 Aug 2023 08:58
YoHoChecko wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Going into January 2011, Aaron Rodgers was only 27-21 and barely snuck into the playoffs of which his legacy was choking on a missed throw to seal the deal in AZ.

The Aaron Rodgers record thing earth in his early career is so overstated. It was very clear he was a true franchise QB. Maybe we didn’t see HOF or MVP level player but his first year was terrific. It was an average first start but he played well. It was the defense that was awful.

The Cardinals game he played well in also. Of course he missed the OT throw to Jennings for the win but the defense in that game was again atrocious.

Rodgers whole career for the most part is a story of how a defense or STs unit $%@# him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Aug 2023 11:17
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

The Aaron Rodgers record thing earth in his early career is so overstated. It was very clear he was a true franchise QB. Maybe we didn’t see HOF or MVP level player but his first year was terrific. It was an average first start but he played well. It was the defense that was awful.

The Cardinals game he played well in also. Of course he missed the OT throw to Jennings for the win but the defense in that game was again atrocious.

Rodgers whole career for the most part is a story of how a defense or STs unit $%@# him.

I'd throw most of that Cards loss on MM for going all out to beat the Cards a week before in a meaningless game.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Aug 2023 11:17
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Aw.....C'mon. I thought it was the receivers and TT. :rotf:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Late in his career it was. Let’s not play stupid. Every off-season everyone had mock drafts chock full of WRs.

Even Gutenbumst knows it as he drafted 6 in the last 2 years. He just did it too late when he blew it on 3 WRs in 2018 and proceeded to draft none in 2 straight drafts which is criminal in its own right, then takes just one in 2021 which was a short, unathletic bum in Amari Rodgers.
Cancelled by the forum elites.