Carlson

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I'd like to have a good kicker on a rookie contract when the window hopefully opens. Don't care if it's Carlson or some other dude. The cap saving would be worth about one FA depth guy at another position. Not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
12 Aug 2023 12:50
Madcity_matt wrote:
12 Aug 2023 11:34
Yoop wrote:
12 Aug 2023 11:13

I keep forgetting that now since the PS changes that a team can designate 4 players every week that can be protected on the PS from poaching, your right Carlson could be protected.
Sure, but if he's worth protecting he's probably on the 53. If he's on the practice squad because he can't kick consistently I can't see anyone trying to steal him to their 53.
ehhhhh
now your supposing that coaches can't help, and that players don't improve. :idn:

have you ever played golf? because the process is the same, and it is hard to retain the sequences involved in a consistent swing path.

and like Love ( tighter then a banjo at a hoe down concert at first :lol: ), baptism under fire is a nerve racking thing, last nights PS game was probably the biggest stage he's ever been on, he's fighting for a job with a NFL team, and his career.
Give the kid more time, and protect him, why wouldn't another team poach him and give him a shot, again players do improve, and coaches are paid because they do actually have a resume of success as teachers, Golf coaches make good money because they are successful helping guys re groove there swing, mechanical stuff is correctable. :mrgreen:
You must have some strong quads from constantly jumping to conclusions. I absolutely think that coaches make corrections, and players improve. I don't think GB would have taken him if they didn't think they could make him a better, more consistent kicker. They saw the same thing many of us did watching his college film- huge leg, consistency issues. I think there's a good chance that he gets there before the season starts. BUT. If he is not advanced enough along to make the 53 and a kicker is brought in, I expect (as I said above) that the Packers would sign him to their practice squad. The only reason a practice squad kicker wouldn't be protected is if another team tried to sign him to their active roster (as I also said above.) IF he is not of NFL quality yet (and yes the flipping point of putting him on the practice squad would be to develop him) then I doubt another team would sign our not ready for prime time kicker to their 53. Just stop with the arguing to argue. This wasn't contentious until you made it so. It's your M.O. and it's really tiring.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

In Bisaccia I trust. If it's mechanic they'll fix it. Crosby was under 80% his first 4 years in the league and now we talk about him like he never struggled. The preseason won't show us if he can handle the pressure and it won't show us how he does in cold weather. It will show the coaches whether he is capable of fixing mechanical issues. That will determine if they bring in competition. These 2 days with NE should provide that insight to them. I hope MLF will tell Belichick to bring the pressure on him to test him out in practice.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
12 Aug 2023 14:48
Of course I read that as house monkey, which I kind of like.
I think that's the terminology I'm going to use form now on.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

I think it's all in his head. That is where inconsistency lives. He's got the physical gifts; he just needs to maintain his mechanics.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Release Newhouse....bring in a K.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lulu wrote:
13 Aug 2023 20:13
I think it's all in his head. That is where inconsistency lives. He's got the physical gifts; he just needs to maintain his mechanics.
It's not good for a kicker to be a head case. :munch:

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Aug 2023 09:21
Who is getting the feeling, the dark terrible feeling, that this team is gonna be in the hunt at the end of the year for something important…could be already in a playoff game, could be a regular season game to win the division, or maybe a game to secure a wild card spot…and everyone does their job pretty well…all for it to come down to STs, and we get screwed on a missed kick once again.
I have this feeling that a lot of fans will be surprised that the Packers don't get anywhere close to competing for a playoff spot this season anyway.
Madcity_matt wrote:
12 Aug 2023 10:19
He's not a lock for the 53 even with the draft pick. If we bring in someone else could see putting Anders on the practice squad.
I'm absolutely convinced the Packers didn't draft Carlson to move on from him before the season even started.
Yoop wrote:
12 Aug 2023 11:13
I keep forgetting that now since the PS changes that a team can designate 4 players every week that can be protected on the PS from poaching, your right Carlson could be protected.
While that's true other teams could claim Carlson once the Packers try to stash him on the practice squad at the time they have to cut the roster to 53.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

CWIMM wrote:I'm absolutely convinced the Packers didn't draft Carlson to move on from him before the season even started.
Pretty much where I'm at.

It's a transition year for the Packers at multiple positions. Some struggles are expected. They're not giving up on Carlson before the season ever starts unless he turns out to be a complete train wreck, which he is not.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
14 Aug 2023 08:10
CWIMM wrote:I'm absolutely convinced the Packers didn't draft Carlson to move on from him before the season even started.

It's a transition year for the Packers at multiple positions. Some struggles are expected. They're not giving up on Carlson before the season ever starts unless he turns out to be a complete train wreck, which he is not.
I agree that this is probably the case. I just question the wisdom of it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
14 Aug 2023 04:17
Madcity_matt wrote: ↑Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:19 am
He's not a lock for the 53 even with the draft pick. If we bring in someone else could see putting Anders on the practice squad.
I'm absolutely convinced the Packers didn't draft Carlson to move on from him before the season even started.
Yoop wrote: ↑Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:13 am
While that's true other teams could claim Carlson once the Packers try to stash him on the practice squad at the time they have to cut the roster to 53.
all Good Points

I just have a hard time thinking that Guty spending a 6th round pick on a kicker would just expose him come final cut, but it's not as though he hasn't made decisions that baffle me before, and it's possible as was previously said that no one would want to pick him up.

but there is a lot more to being a NFL kicker then just having a strong leg, the technical part often has to be re taught.

Bleacher report has a great article about this, but you'll have to goggle it because they don't allow copy and paste

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
14 Aug 2023 08:19
APB wrote:

Goggle the Bleacher report article, the wisdom part is explained for you.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2023 08:33
Labrev wrote:
APB wrote:

I don't wanna.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
14 Aug 2023 08:39
Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2023 08:33
Labrev wrote:

I don't wanna.
never actually expected you would, maybe others might though

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I'm goggling it right now

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

APB wrote:

Very much agree, and I expect they will keep him as their kicker for the year. If he doesn't make the 53 I'd expect we minimally keep him on the practice squad.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
12 Aug 2023 08:01
@APB It's already happening.
go pak go wrote:
03 Aug 2023 12:45
APB wrote:
03 Aug 2023 10:38

Wasn't it Carlson's brother, Daniel...? I know he had early struggles.

Yep, it was. Just looked. Since MN dumped him his rookie year after a 1 out of 4 FG start, he's since gone on to hit 90% of his FG attempts and has over 95% success on his XP attempts. Has been 1st or 2nd Team All-Pro last two years.

He seems to have turned out alright after some refinement. You could argue MN gave up too quick on him, much like you're advocating for the younger brother.
I'm generally in the more patient crowd so I'm okay waiting.

But usually teams don't wait. We did for Crosby and it brought up and down success.

But I can imagine this forum if we lose 3 close games and the guy is 6 for 12 to start the season.
We didn't have to wait for Crosby. He came out in preseason and kicked the longest FG in the history of Heinz Field, and then in his first NFL game he kicked a game winner under pressure, in addition to a 53 yarder in that game. He was good from the start.

Carlson is not good from the start.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
12 Aug 2023 07:50
I’m not sold on Carlson, either, but Crosby is not the answer. Dude is a career 81% FG kicker. Just two years ago he only made 73% of his FG attempts. That doesn’t even come close to his worst year (<64%). Yeah, last year was a rebound year (86%) but more times than not, Crosby has been a below average kicker. Cold weather, outdoors, blah, blah, blah…spare me.

And he’ll be 39 come September.

Where will his kickoffs get to this year? The 10 yd line? On a good kick?

Carlson may not be the answer but neither is Crosby. Bring in another kicker (or two) and let them go at it. May the best short/long term option win.
The thing about Crosby's "low" FG percentages throughout his career is that we generally gave him tougher kicks, like I remember that one really bad season he had, most of his misses were from 50+ and barely missed. Plus the random 5 missed FG games he would have brought down the numbers in general.

He's still as solid as ever, just with a weaker leg. But I would take that over Carlson or some other random crapshoot dude.

If we are planning on tanking this season then sure, let's see if we can nail down another solid 10+ year kicker. It's a process that can last a while but if it pans out it is worth it. But if we are planning on trying to win then I don't want to play roulette at this position.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:
14 Aug 2023 17:18
We didn't have to wait for Crosby. He came out in preseason and kicked the longest FG in the history of Heinz Field, and then in his first NFL game he kicked a game winner under pressure, in addition to a 53 yarder in that game. He was good from the start.

Crosby was a really good prospect. He actually had a good leg when young.
Carlson is not a good prospect.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
14 Aug 2023 17:18
go pak go wrote:
12 Aug 2023 08:01
@APB It's already happening.
go pak go wrote:
03 Aug 2023 12:45

I'm generally in the more patient crowd so I'm okay waiting.

But usually teams don't wait. We did for Crosby and it brought up and down success.

But I can imagine this forum if we lose 3 close games and the guy is 6 for 12 to start the season.

not talking about 2007 and his start. I'm talking about the times we had to be patient with Crosby (like 2012, 2021, etc.)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.