Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Watching game summaries from NFL's youtube channel, yeah Trey Lance is bad.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
15 Aug 2023 12:28
It warms my heart he is struggling despite tutelage from the offensive golden boy (Shanahan) himself...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
15 Aug 2023 12:12
Yoop wrote:
15 Aug 2023 06:24
Cook averages a 120 yrds a game, every game, the Jets will figure out how to max that out.
If this were true, I'd be all-in on the signing. Unfortunately, it is not true. :nono:

Not sure where you got those numbers from but here is his yardage data for 2022 and beyond:

2022:
Rushing: 1173 yds
Receiving: + 295 yds
Total = 1468 yds

Games: 17

Yards/Game (2022) = 86.3 yds/gm

Career:
Rushing: 5993 yds
Receiving: + 1794 yds
Total = 7787 yds

Games: 73

Yards/Game (Career) = 106.6 yds/gm

And that was as the established no.1 RB in a favorable scheme. He'll be lucky to get half the yards/game he saw in Minny.
I read it and didn't verify, still he has the ability to provide that, and 85 YPG is nothing to sneeze at, and sharing snaps with Hall is no different then Jones sharing snaps with Dillon, the Vikes also had one of the best WR's in the league, either way, Cook amounts to cheap production signing that has the potential to make a huge difference for the Jets offense.

there are WR's making twice what Cooks got and wont even come close to producing what Cooks will for the Jets.
we'll see.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
15 Aug 2023 12:33
Labrev wrote:
It warms my heart he is struggling despite tutelage from the offensive golden boy (Shanahan) himself...
Other fun stuff:

-- Ty Summers is with the NO Saints and had a sack (fluky)
-- Jace Sternberger is with the Bills, had a nice reception... that he fumbled away, haha.
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
15 Aug 2023 14:34
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:
15 Aug 2023 06:24
Cook averages a 120 yrds a game, every game, the Jets will figure out how to max that out.
If this were true, I'd be all-in on the signing. Unfortunately, it is not true. :nono:

Not sure where you got those numbers from but here is his yardage data for 2022 and beyond:

2022:
Total = 1468 yds

Career:
Total = 7787 yds

And that was as the established no.1 RB in a favorable scheme. He'll be lucky to get half the yards/game he saw in Minny.
I read it and didn't verify, still he has the ability to provide that, and 85 YPG is nothing to sneeze at, and sharing snaps with Hall is no different then Jones sharing snaps with Dillon, the Vikes also had one of the best WR's in the league, either way, Cook amounts to cheap production signing that has the potential to make a huge difference for the Jets offense.

there are WR's making twice what Cooks got and wont even come close to producing what Cooks will for the Jets.
we'll see.
Well, gee whiz, [mention]Yoop[/mention], you could make an argument for any number of players that they have the ability to perform at a certain level. The point is, most don't.

Cook (and please, for the love of god note the spelling) did it once over an entire season three years ago but hasn't come close since, and that was with starter level touches every year he's played. You're now arguing it's a good signing because he could possibly achieve that level again despite sharing carries, at best, or filling in as backup, at worst.

:dunno:

In your own words - No sale.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
15 Aug 2023 12:33
Labrev wrote:
bruh it was rough.

Dude looks totally lost.

The best I can say for him was that he excellently avoided taking the bait in the post-game presser when asked about the amount of pressure he was under and he just said "nah, this was on me; not the other guys. I need to do better" or something to that effect. Points for self awareness? Not better than field awareness, but better than nothing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
15 Aug 2023 16:00
Yoop wrote:
15 Aug 2023 14:34
APB wrote:

2022:
Total = 1468 yds

Career:
Total = 7787 yds

we'll see.
Well, gee whiz, @Yoop, you could make an argument for any number of players that they have the ability to perform at a certain level. The point is, most don't.

Cook (and please, for the love of god note the spelling) did it once over an entire season three years ago but hasn't come close since, and that was with starter level touches every year he's played. You're now arguing it's a good signing because he could possibly achieve that level again despite sharing carries, at best, or filling in as backup, at worst.

:dunno:

In your own words - No sale.

come on, follow the bread crumbs lol, along with Rodge, Saleh brought aboard Hackett, you remember him, he was our OC Lafleur brought in with him, so basically (just my opinion) the Jets will be GB east, our RB combo is good for 2000 plus a season, last year 2496, I expect that is what the Jets hope to get with Cook and Hall, can't accept this idea that the Jets paid 8 M to use Cook as a backup, or depth, nahhh.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

LombardiTime wrote:
15 Aug 2023 00:14
And while their caps hits will be (I believe) about equal in 2023, the Pack is on the hook for $24M in dead cap expenditures in the future even if they move on from Jones after the 2023 season.

If Cook's contract with the Jets is a bad one ... for the team, why is the Jones contract a good one for the Pack?
For the record, the Packers moving on from Jones next offseason would result in only $12.355 million of dead money counting against their cap.

With that being said I don't consider the Jets signing Cook a good move. They had more pressing needs than adding a running back with Hall and Carter on their roster.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

CWIMM wrote:
16 Aug 2023 05:22
LombardiTime wrote:
And while their caps hits will be (I believe) about equal in 2023, the Pack is on the hook for $24M in dead cap expenditures in the future even if they move on from Jones after the 2023 season.

If Cook's contract with the Jets is a bad one ... for the team, why is the Jones contract a good one for the Pack?
For the record, the Packers moving on from Jones next offseason would result in only $12.355 million of dead money counting against their cap.

With that being said I don't consider the Jets signing Cook a good move. They had more pressing needs than adding a running back with Hall and Carter on their roster.
When 58 mill of dead cap is burned off in 23, we can afford to pay Jones in 24 if we want to.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cdragon wrote:
16 Aug 2023 06:49
CWIMM wrote:
LombardiTime wrote:

When 58 mill of dead cap is burned off in 23, we can afford to pay Jones in 24 if we want to.
Currently set for $18M in cap space without resigning Gary yet. That doesn’t consider probably extending Love if he plays well this season. It also doesn’t consider possibly retaining Runyan or Dillon. Now for Dillon it would be cheap. I would expect $5M. Runyan though is a great pass blocking guard that I think teams would consider giving a shot at RT. I think he gets paid.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2023 07:04
Cdragon wrote:
CWIMM wrote:

Currently set for $18M in cap space without resigning Gary yet. That doesn’t consider probably extending Love if he plays well this season. It also doesn’t consider possibly retaining Runyan or Dillon. Now for Dillon it would be cheap. I would expect $5M. Runyan though is a great pass blocking guard that I think teams would consider giving a shot at RT. I think he gets paid.
Runyan, a non-special OL, is the exact guy you'd kind of want to just let walk and hope you have a near replacement level guy on a rookie contract to step in for a few years, take the comp pick, draft another rookie OL with it. Not looking good for Rhyan at the moment though.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Watching a clip of Rich Eisen's show, he goes off-topic for a few seconds to mention that Dallas had to take Micah Parsons out of the lineup for a few stretches so the offense could move down the field. :o

'Sounds like he is primed for some historic D play.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers on the Jets injury list (calf). Let's hope he recovers, gotta play 65% of snaps to lock up that 1st Rounder. ;)
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
16 Aug 2023 13:53
Rodgers on the Jets injury list (calf). Let's hope he recovers, gotta play 65% of snaps to lock up that 1st Rounder. ;)
worth noting this is the second calf injury of the offseason. One to each leg.

:favre: :ambulance:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Aug 2023 14:15
Labrev wrote:
16 Aug 2023 13:53
worth noting this is the second calf injury of the offseason. One to each leg.

:favre: :ambulance:
Yeah I remember proponents of bringing Rodgers back were saying... well last season he had the thumb, his play will be elite next year without it.

But injuries are part of the game, and they become *more* common with age, not less. Full health not only isn't guaranteed this season, but it's frankly unlikely.

I just hope he can play through whatever injuries he suffers enough to hit 65%.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

nagging little hurts that probably wouldn't even keep him out of a game.

Saleh probably wants to limit him anyway, he wont do another practice with Carolina( whoops wrong team, Tampa) they scheduled two and he worry's about retaliation between squads after the first one, I think he has a valid point on that, why chance injury to starters in meaningless scrimmages.
Last edited by Yoop on 17 Aug 2023 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Cdragon wrote:
True, especially as the Packers would save less than $5 million of cap space by moving on from Jones next offseason.
lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2023 07:04
It's all but guaranteed the Packers will gain an additional $21.5 million of cap space for 2024 by moving on from Bakhtiari after this season. In addition they could extend Love without his cap hit increasing for 2024. There's no need to break the bank for either Runyan or Dillon either.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
16 Aug 2023 15:30
nagging little hurts that probably wouldn't even keep him out of a game.
How did that work out for us last year?

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wait so the Jets canceled day 2 of joint practices with the Bucs? The Giants let the Bucs practice at their facility instead?

I haven't been watching Hard Knocks because :idn: don't care

But that's gotta be an interesting story/development, right?