Emanuel Wilson

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Aug 2023 13:00
If Wilson makes the team, I'd like to think the Packers would have the automatic common sense instilled in their brains to issue him a different jersey # (Wilson is currently wearing Jimmy Taylor's sacred number 31........which bothers a lot of the old-timers). Also he may just have a little Jimmy Taylor in him (see video below).

https://www.packers.com/video/emanuel-w ... s-patriots
I know you are unhappy with this but if we retire the number of every past Packer great we'll run out of numbers. Most of us don't think of anyone other than Taylor wearing 31 even tho others have since he retired.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
21 Aug 2023 08:30
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Aug 2023 13:00
If Wilson makes the team, I'd like to think the Packers would have the automatic common sense instilled in their brains to issue him a different jersey # (Wilson is currently wearing Jimmy Taylor's sacred number 31........which bothers a lot of the old-timers). Also he may just have a little Jimmy Taylor in him (see video below).

https://www.packers.com/video/emanuel-w ... s-patriots
I know you are unhappy with this but if we retire the number of every past Packer great we'll run out of numbers. Most of us don't think of anyone other than Taylor wearing 31 even tho others have since he retired.
This has to be generational.

Because when I think of 31 Alshinard Harris and Adrian Amos absolutely come to mind. Those two are also Packer legends for both their on field play and off field interviews.

"know what I'm sayin"

--Al Harris
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Conversations about jersey numbers are something I care about even less than conversations about Kickers.

The absolutely kindest thing I can say is "that isn't important to me" or "I don't understand that point of view."

My actual feelings on this overall topic would get me banned for harassing Ringo in almost every post he goes.

The only jersey number conversations I can engage in with reason and mild emotion is the categories that used to help you understand which position group you are looking at based on number. I am disappointed that those are gone now. That's as far as my care rides.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2023 22:10
go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2023 22:00
Every year the Packers has a RB that is awesome in camp and preseason and then gets cut. Every single year.

I love Wilson. I think he is different and special but I would be more surprised at this point if he makes the 53.
I see that MLF said today that his blocking, STs, and conditioning ( :shock: ) are still a work in progress/in need of improvement. That sounded to me like the standard "don't be surprised when we cut him next week"

We did only 2 RBs on the original 53 last year which I avidly argued wouldn't happen, but I guess with RBs being so devalued and therefore likely to be retained on the PS through waivers, there's not a lot of difference between having Taylor AND Wilson (and Goodson?) on the PS rather than any of them on the active roster.

I'd guess all three get cut.

But if they keep a 3rd and it's Taylor over Wilson, I'll be annoyed. RB3 doesn't play nearly enough to value his pass protection ahead of his upside--especially with Dillon and Jone's contact situations unknown after the year.
Yeah when you have 3 RBs that could legit be on the 53 man roster...it gives me MORE reason to believe they role with 2 RBs on the 53 and put 2 on the Practice Squad.

The one caveat I have is I would like to have Goodson on the roster as an insurance policy going into 2024 because he is more like a possible Aaron Jones replacement.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
21 Aug 2023 09:26
This has to be generational.

Because when I think of 31 Alshinard Harris
In the context of football, I can't think of the number 31 without my mind adding "the dirty one" right after it.

I have the same thought outside of football, too, but not as often.

And I think Amos was a worthy representative of the number as well.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2023 09:29
Conversations about jersey numbers are something I care about even less than conversations about Kickers.

The absolutely kindest thing I can say is "that isn't important to me" or "I don't understand that point of view."

My actual feelings on this overall topic would get me banned for harassing Ringo in almost every post he goes.

The only jersey number conversations I can engage in with reason and mild emotion is the categories that used to help you understand which position group you are looking at based on number. I am disappointed that those are gone now. That's as far as my care rides.
Yes. I hate that the NFL is like college for numbers now. I hate that I saw a punter with double digit numbers and the first number being a "4".

I hate defensive players having numbers lower than 20.

That too is about as passionate as I will get about numbers. Though I did cringe when I saw #82 fielding punts on Satruday. What a slap in the face to Richard Rodgers!!!
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2023 09:29

people post there football passion here, that there passionate about football is what matters :idn: some focus attention towards nostalgia, others to more currant affairs, basically all of it is aimed at adding something other posters will enjoy, but obviously not everyone.

point is if ya don't like a topic, then move along to a topic you do enjoy, obviously others think the kicking position matters more to them then others, same with number retirements, etc. etc.

myself, I hate talking about contracts, dead money, cap restraints, or freaking pad level, don't bore me with those incidental's :rotf:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
21 Aug 2023 10:54
point is if ya don't like a topic, then move along to a topic you do enjoy, obviously others think the kicking position matters more to them then others, same with number retirements, etc. etc.
I mostly agree with this sentiment; and I ignore plenty of topics I don't like. Sometimes I'm bored and looking for activity and contribute to say this isn't important to me, but I see why it's important to others... like I do with the kicker conversation.

But it's just very tricky when the post is "about" a player on the roster bubble that we have opinions on, but the posts are "about" whether or not that player should be wearing number 31 (a number that has been commonly used throughout the past century) because someone the poster really liked wore the number 75 years ago.

I want to comment on Emanuel Wilson.

And I want to ignore diatribes about random numbers people used to wear. But when the number becomes the topic, I chime in to say "I care about one aspect of this post--the current player the thread is titled by--and not another aspect of this post--the numerical discussion it tuns out the thread was made to complain about. Sometimes we don't live up to our own expectations of ourselves. Ideal me would let discussions about roster numbers for players on the roster bubble float past me without either of us impacting each other.

But this is not ideal me. This is me being absolutely mystified by the continuing insertion of random jersey numbers into discussion as if there is not a finite supply of digits between 0 and 100 that will continually be re-used for all of time.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Maybe a discussion on legendary 31s will suffice..Adrian Amos was SOLID!! Sure tackler, most often alway healthy, consistent!!

But he was no legend. Just a players that played his role solidly.

Al Harris on the other hand…now that’s a legendary 31.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2023 11:05
Yoop wrote:
21 Aug 2023 10:54
I mostly agree with this sentiment; and I ignore plenty of topics I don't like. Sometimes I'm bored and looking for activity and contribute to say this isn't important to me, but I see why it's important to others... like I do with the kicker conversation.

But it's just very tricky when the post is "about" a player on the roster bubble that we have opinions on, but the posts are "about" whether or not that player should be wearing number 31 (a number that has been commonly used throughout the past century) because someone the poster really liked wore the number 75 years ago.

I want to comment on Emanuel Wilson.

And I want to ignore diatribes about random numbers people used to wear. But when the number becomes the topic, I chime in to say "I care about one aspect of this post--the current player the thread is titled by--and not another aspect of this post--the numerical discussion it tuns out the thread was made to complain about. Sometimes we don't live up to our own expectations of ourselves. Ideal me would let discussions about roster numbers for players on the roster bubble float past me without either of us impacting each other.

But this is not ideal me. This is me being absolutely mystified by the continuing insertion of random jersey numbers into discussion as if there is not a finite supply of digits between 0 and 100 that will continually be re-used for all of time.
Ringo is a Lombardi nostalgia era fan, and he holds dear to that era of players, so this count down till season starts thread is right up his ally as he gets to high light some fav players and of course there number, my enjoyment comes from his enjoyment in doing it, same with others that refresh my memory of our past stars.
I think when we see a player emulate one of our past stars, in this case a Jim Taylor, it warrants some recognition/ comparison even though the kid may not make the team, everyone pass the time differently. :munch:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2023 19:51
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Aug 2023 17:39

Heck Yes, but not just me. Same logic applies to Hornung's #5. If Rodgers #12 gets retired ahead of the Golden Boy, I'll be livid as well.
I have some baaaad news for you.

But while we're talking about Wilson...

Paul Bretl said the other day that if the Packers keep a 3rd RB it will be Patrick Taylor again, as he has everything you need from a backup--STs, pass pro, scheme knowledge and familiarity.

23 posted a tweet about the ST unit starts on the core 4 STs and Taylor led the way.

Personally, I think Taylor is a JAG (useful JAG, but a JAG) and there is zero reason to keep him over Wilson (or Goodson) in a year of youth like this one. I would MUCH rather keep Wilson, who can be any and everything Taylor is as a reserve based on talent, than Taylor.

Am I just not appreciating the nuance or importance of a RB3 to pass protect even when RBs 1 and 2 have that skill covered?
If you want someone to pass protect, you put Dillon in the backfield and if he is hurt you use Deguara. You don't use a 217 pound RB named Taylor or a 208 pound Jones. If it is 3rd down or 4th down you might have Jones in there but it is not to block, it is to take an outlet pass - neither Jones nor Taylor is physically capable of blocking a 300 pound lineman or a 270 pound OLB or even a 235 pound ILB. Dillon or Deguara can block that ILB and at least slow down an OLB but they are not big enough to do more than annoy a Dlineman kile Kenny Clark. Keeping Taylor over Wilson for pass blocking makes zero sense.

If you want a 3rd down back who can pick up a blitzing CB or Safety, that is a different matter but it does not happen very often. Your 3rd down RB needs to take an outlet pass and make 7 yards with it. Wilson did that, 2 catches for 15 yards. But your best RB for that situation is Jones, not Taylor or Wilson.

The primary duty of the 3rd RB is if RB1 or RB2 gets hurt in the game, particularly early in the game.

All backups need to play ST, even linemen should be on the 2 FG teams. But there is no reason to believe that Wilson can't play ST. Maybe not as well as Taylor can, especially early in the season. Being marginally better on ST is not a good reason to keep player #1 when player #2 is significantly better on O or D.

The Packers have a problem in Wilson. Even if they don't let him take a single snap in game #3, they can't get him onto the PS. He has been noticed. Another team will claim him. Not giving him any snaps in game #3 just tells other teams that the Packers are trying to hide him - more reason to claim him. The same situation if they let him play ST and do not give him any carries but ask him to pass block. If they give him carries and he gets 5 carries for 9 yards, then the problem is solved, they sign him to the PS. But even if he only gets 2 carries for 10 yards, or 2 catches for 15 yards again, he is unlikely to make it to the PS and the Packers have probably lost a starting quality RB.

Sorry, Patrick Taylor, at least it is not your birthday.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Honestly the older generation's attitudes towards football is weird to me in general, not just on this.

Sure, a jersey number might make me think of a previous player that wore it, but being bothered by it is very strange. If anything, I like it. It's cool to see Romeo Doubs wear 87 with the successful WRs we had that wore it, because now he has a chance to carry that tradition forward. I had a similar thought with Carrington Valentine in #37.

But also stuff like how standing and making noise at the stadium is bad form. Okay, so let the opposing team run their offense in peace, got it. Or to speak ill (read: critique) of a Packers great is a kind of sacrilege and the football gods will smite us like we didn't honor the harvest profusely enough, now we will suffer famine or draught.

I get that we all live/eat/breathe this stuff but some get truly loony with it, and I feel like that stuff skews old.
Last edited by Labrev on 21 Aug 2023 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
21 Aug 2023 11:55
Ringo is a Lombardi nostalgia era fan, and he holds dear to that era of players, so this count down till season starts thread is right up his ally as he gets to high light some fav players and of course there number, my enjoyment comes from his enjoyment in doing it, same with others that refresh my memory of our past stars.
I think when we see a player emulate one of our past stars, in this case a Jim Taylor, it warrants some recognition/ comparison even though the kid may not make the team, everyone pass the time differently.
Yeah and I'm a Favre-Holmgren era nostalgia fan, but I don't talk about every WR that gets Sterling Sharpe's jersey number because I understand that numbers are an insignificant part to almost every player's story and that there are a finite number of digits and an infinite number of players who will play for the Packers over a long enough period of time.

Some people have useful things to say about history and their fandom. Some people talk about all the different players who once wore a jersey.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:18

If you want someone to pass protect, you put Dillon in the backfield and if he is hurt you use Deguara. You don't use a 217 pound RB named Taylor or a 208 pound Jones. If it is 3rd down or 4th down you might have Jones in there but it is not to block, it is to take an outlet pass - neither Jones nor Taylor is physically capable of blocking a 300 pound lineman or a 270 pound OLB or even a 235 pound ILB. Dillon or Deguara can block that ILB and at least slow down an OLB but they are not big enough to do more than annoy a Dlineman kile Kenny Clark. Keeping Taylor over Wilson for pass blocking makes zero sense.

If you want a 3rd down back who can pick up a blitzing CB or Safety, that is a different matter but it does not happen very often. Your 3rd down RB needs to take an outlet pass and make 7 yards with it. Wilson did that, 2 catches for 15 yards. But your best RB for that situation is Jones, not Taylor or Wilson.

The primary duty of the 3rd RB is if RB1 or RB2 gets hurt in the game, particularly early in the game.

All backups need to play ST, even linemen should be on the 2 FG teams. But there is no reason to believe that Wilson can't play ST. Maybe not as well as Taylor can, especially early in the season. Being marginally better on ST is not a good reason to keep player #1 when player #2 is significantly better on O or D.
:clap: :clap:
TheSkeptic wrote:
The Packers have a problem in Wilson. Even if they don't let him take a single snap in game #3, they can't get him onto the PS. He has been noticed. Another team will claim him. Not giving him any snaps in game #3 just tells other teams that the Packers are trying to hide him - more reason to claim him. The same situation if they let him play ST and do not give him any carries but ask him to pass block. If they give him carries and he gets 5 carries for 9 yards, then the problem is solved, they sign him to the PS. But even if he only gets 2 carries for 10 yards, or 2 catches for 15 yards again, he is unlikely to make it to the PS and the Packers have probably lost a starting quality RB.

Sorry, Patrick Taylor, at least it is not your birthday.

Totally disagree about the PS thing for a RB3.

MAYBE he gets taken? But RBs have zero value. There are more capable RBs than there are NFL roster spots for RBs. I like Wilson a LOT. But I bet there are guys on a dozen other teams who have their fanbases hoping they can "sneak" them onto the PS.

My view on this is evolving. I felt they couldn't risk cutting Goodson last year and keeping only 2 RBs on the 53. I was very wrong. I'm watching, in real time, as RB value deteriorates.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Labrev wrote:
Honestly the older generation's attitudes towards football is weird to me in general, not just on this.

Sure, a jersey number might make me think of a previous player that wore it, but being bothered by it is very strange. If anything, I like it. It's cool to see Romeo Doubs wear 87 with the successful WRs we had that wore it, because now he has a chance to carry that tradition forward. I had a similar thought with Carrington Valentine in #37.

But also stuff like how standing and making noise at the stadium is bad form. Okay, so let the opposing team run their offense in peace, got it. Or to speak ill (read: critique) of a Packers great is a kind of sacrilege and the football gods will smite us like we didn't honor the harvest profusely enough, now we will suffer famine or draught.

I get that we all live/eat/breathe this stuff but some get truly loony with it, and I feel like that stuff skews old.
Please don't stereotype all of us "distinguished" individuals in this manner. A player's number means little to me. While I have always been a big fan of the Lombardi Packers, I don't care about who gets their numbers. I also believe in making all the noise you can at the games, though it needs to be done intelligently. I was always one of the noisiest fans at any sporting event.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

williewasgreat wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:42
Labrev wrote:

Please don't stereotype all of us "distinguished" individuals in this manner. A player's number means little to me. While I have always been a big fan of the Lombardi Packers, I don't care about who gets their numbers. I also believe in making all the noise you can at the games, though it needs to be done intelligently. I was always one of the noisiest fans at any sporting event.
Nah. I get grief for being a "kid" so I get to talk smack about the olds. :favre:
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:
21 Aug 2023 11:55
I think when we see a player emulate one of our past stars, in this case a Jim Taylor, it warrants some recognition/ comparison even though the kid may not make the team, everyone pass the time differently.
Yeah and I'm a Favre-Holmgren era nostalgia fan, but I don't talk about every WR that gets Sterling Sharpe's jersey number because I understand that numbers are an insignificant part to almost every player's story and that there are a finite number of digits and an infinite number of players who will play for the Packers over a long enough period of time.

Some people have useful things to say about history and their fandom. Some people talk about all the different players who once wore a jersey.
how many receivers have worn Sterlings number? :rotf:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:46
how many receivers have worn Sterlings number? :rotf:
Here's the whole list:
image.png
image.png (20.3 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:46
how many receivers have worn Sterlings number?
My whole point is that I wouldn't know.

The list posted just below your post and above mine shows that it's happened tons of times. :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:44
williewasgreat wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:42
Labrev wrote:

Nah. I get grief for being a "kid" so I get to talk smack about the olds. :favre:
well you are just a kid, If I where you I'd learn how to not grow up :rotf: