Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This is a weird sentence, but, ummm,. Drew Lock is throwing DIMES in this preseason game. He looks better than Bengals Sean Clifford!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Did y'all hear Jimmy Graham was arrested after wandering through traffic under suspicion of being under the influence of narcotics, but when taken to the hospital the doctor suspects he had some sort of seizure and the Saints are confirming it as a "medical incident"?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2023 09:43
Did y'all hear Jimmy Graham was arrested after wandering through traffic under suspicion of being under the influence of narcotics, but when taken to the hospital the doctor suspects he had some sort of seizure and the Saints are confirming it as a "medical incident"?
Hmm, that's strange. Unfortunately, now it makes me wonder if he has CTE :(
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

AlexRollinsNFL@AlexRollinsNFL97.6K subscribers206 videos

This channel analyzes NFL football game film, the "All-22" is the angle the coaches watch, it provides the entire context of each and every play.

"And while researching for this video, I was shocked to find that Aaron Rodgers almost NEVER throws there." :rotf:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Labrev wrote:
21 Aug 2023 08:25

This channel analyzes NFL football game film, the "All-22" is the angle the coaches watch, it provides the entire context of each and every play.

"And while researching for this video, I was shocked to find that Aaron Rodgers almost NEVER throws there." :rotf:
Oh boy..... :shock:

I saw that video a few days ago and decided not to post it to spare yoop from going nuclear. Now it's too late. Duck and cover!
:hide: :rotf:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Ironically, the video is pretty apologetic to Rodgers and makes the usual excuses often made for him.

Whether you think those excuses are persuasive or not is a matter of opinion. What at this point -cannot- (reasonably) be disputed is the FACT that he throws over the middle *far* less than most other QBs.

*edit*
And yet even in attempting to make excuses to absolve Rodgers, it makes claims that (to me, at least) make him look bad, and discredit other excuses often made for him, such as how even as he went to a NYJ team with WR talent better than he had last year, he still needed to bring Lazard and Cobb with him, because when push comes to shove, he would rather throw to JAGs like that who are on the same page with him than way more talented options (e.g. Doubs and Watson) that will make mistakes... even if they are way more likely to reward patience with playmaking grabs than Lazard of old man Cobb ever will.

Okay, ... well then that's a chicken'&%$@ Boomer football philosophy that I am happy to know is leaving along with him.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

one of the very best to ever play, became that guy by not throwing over the middle, what a bunch of hog juice, to throw over the middle requires that you trust who your throwing the ball to, he did it less then other QB's because it's more dangerous throwing into sections of the field with more moving players and DB's jumping routes is more common.
a new scheme wouldn't benefit from a few players that have experience in those schemes to help others transition to it, thats why the Jets brought in Cobb and Lazard, duh, anyone with any football sense at all knows this, you use it to dis a QB that may be the best Packer QB you will ever see play for the team, whats that make you?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:
21 Aug 2023 08:25

I’d say that is a fair assessment. But I’m not convinced that AR’s higher interception total is because of less WR talent. I guess we’ll find out this year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It has nothing to do with "trust"-nonsense. 6:13... pass play, throw over the middle complete to Tonyan, TD.

Next play in the reel... same call on offense, same receiver (trust is not an issue with Tonyan so there goes that), SAME TYPE OF COVERAGE by the D, but the rookie Safety did his homework and undercut the route to get an INT.

And then that one bad play spooked Rodgers too much to throw over the middle for the rest of the entire game (even as the next play shows wiiiiiide open targets over the middle that even a blind man could complete the pass), and the WR was not to blame for the pick.

Even the greats have limitations in their game. Brett had the picks. Peyton's stats are ugly in the playoffs. Rodgers's most impressive stat is his TD:INT ratio, but it turns out, that came at a price of avoiding the part of the field that, while the most risky, also is statistically the most likely to result in big plays.

To me, that amounts to putting one's own interests (i.e. his stats looking good, namely preserving said TD:INT ratio) above the interests of the team (i.e. taking the risks needed to make game-winning plays). What that says about me is I am invested in the success of the team, not cult worship of a single player.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Aug 2023 11:54
It has nothing to do with "trust"-nonsense. 6:13... pass play, throw over the middle complete to Tonyan, TD.

Next play in the reel... same call on offense, same receiver (trust is not an issue with Tonyan so there goes that), SAME TYPE OF COVERAGE by the D, but the rookie Safety did his homework and undercut the route to get an INT.

And then that one bad play spooked Rodgers too much to throw over the middle for the rest of the entire game (even as the next play shows wiiiiiide open targets over the middle that even a blind man could complete the pass), and the WR was not to blame for the pick.

Even the greats have limitations in their game. Brett had the picks. Peyton's stats are ugly in the playoffs. Rodgers's most impressive stat is his TD:INT ratio, but it turns out, that came at a price of avoiding the part of the field that, while the most risky, also is statistically the most likely to result in big plays.

To me, that amounts to putting one's own interests (i.e. his stats looking good, namely preserving said TD:INT ratio) above the interests of the team (i.e. taking the risks needed to make game-winning plays). What that says about me is I am invested in the success of the team, not cult worship of a single player.
prime Nelson, GJ, Jones, Driver, Cobb and Adams says your full of &%$@, same with the TE Cooks, Lewis etc., he threw over the middle plenty to them, and he threw over the middle to both Doubs and WAtson last year.

one of the most successful QB's of the last decade and here you are looking, grasping for any straw to complain,

you have no idea why he didn't throw to open receivers other then Tonyan except to paint Rodgers as a chicken &%$@ QB, obviously there was something about the throw there he didn't like.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:24
prime Nelson, GJ, Jones, Driver, Cobb and Adams says your full of &%$@, same with the TE Cooks, Lewis etc., he threw over the middle plenty to them, and he threw over the middle to both Doubs and WAtson last year.
Lewis? The guy who was targeted less than Amari Rodgers last year?? You are basically in Flat Earth mindset to still believe that at this point.

Yoop wrote:
obviously there was something about the throw there he didn't like.
No there wasn't. It was as wide open as a WR gets in the league. You make that throw 11 times out of 10 with a big smile on your face. The *only* explanation is he got rattled after one bad play.
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:27
Yoop wrote:
No there wasn't. It was as wide open as a WR gets in the league. You make that throw 11 times out of 10 with a big smile on your face. The *only* explanation is he got rattled after one bad play.
I mean what's the difference between these two statements?

"There's obviously something about the throw he didn't like" and "Rodgers doesn't like throwing across the middle very much" say the same thing in different words.

Unless "throwing across the middle" does not count as "obviously something"

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
I'm not going to participate in the back and forth forever thing, but when you bring up the current guys like Doubs, Watson, and Lewis... a Packers film study guy made a whole video tracking the numbers and found that Rodgers throws across the middle of the field significantly less than most QBs. Now a Jets film study guy took a look at things and made a whole video pointing out that Rodgers throws across the middle significantly less.

Y'all can quibble and squabble about the reasons or Rodgers' mindset about it all as much as you want. We have to agree on the same set of facts. And those facts are that Rodgers throws the ball across the middle significantly less than other QBs do in recent years. It's indisputable.

So Mike, please stop disputing it. Stick to arguing about whether it's a trust thing or a fear thing or a risk minimization strategy or a scheme preference that he implements. But fo whatever reason, facts are facts. Rodgers did not throw "plenty" over the middle to Doubs, Watson, and Lewis. He threw occasionally over the middle to them, at much lower levels than other QBs threw to their targets in the middle.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:31
Labrev wrote:
21 Aug 2023 12:27
Yoop wrote:
I mean what's the difference between these two statements?

"There's obviously something about the throw he didn't like" and "Rodgers doesn't like throwing across the middle very much" say the same thing in different words.

Unless "throwing across the middle" does not count as "obviously something"
The first statement suggests that there was something on the specific play that could have gone wrong if he had thrown the ball there. The second is a statement of general tendency.

The second statement is open-ended. You can interpret it charitably and say he's smart and only takes calculated risks, or you can interpret uncharitably and say the guy plays too conservative in a league where you need to be ballsy and -make- plays, maybe even playing more for personal stats than for helping his team win. That's what makes it an interesting conversation, and one that most (all but three) folks here would like to have.

The first one suggests we should defer to Rodgers's sage judgment and how dare you question it. There are times when I am inclined to defer to a player, coach, GM, etc. But there are times when they are just clearly wrong IMO, and this is one of those times IMO. Yet that is the only conversation that three people here want to allow us to have: shut up and grovel at Rodgers's feet you plebs.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers will play in the Jets' next preseason game, his first preseason appearance since 2018.

lol
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Dumbest streak in sports is over. Glad the Ravens lost.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
21 Aug 2023 22:41
Dumbest streak in sports is over. Glad the Ravens lost.
Hopefully I'll never have to see the clip of Bynn Renner or however you spell that throwing a TD pass and a 2-point incompletion in a 2013 preseason game; or hear how the wife of that QB is an NFL reporter who is friends with some of the hosts of Good Morning Football EVER AGAIN.

And I live here. I had people texting me about the streak ending.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

According to a report from the Chicago Tribune’s Brad Biggs, Chicago Bears starting left guard Teven Jenkins could miss six weeks with a leg injury. Jenkins was last seen on the field in Thursday’s joint practice with the Indianapolis Colts, and he met the media afterward with no mention of an injury.....

Lucas Patrick, who filled in at guard last season, has been injured most of camp, and there has been no indication of the severity of his injury.