Do we have a bad, good, or great roster in 2023?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Aug 2023 10:19
If Watson and Doubs both miss most of the season, the Packers are screwed. That I agree with.

But there is no veteran WR available that the packers can AFFORD that changes the situation, the Packers are still screwed.

The packers can't sign a very good WR. They don't have the cap room. There is this problem called 57 million in dead cap for the rest of this year. And only 11 million in cap space. For reference, that is what MVS and Lazard are making, former Packers we all remember.

Does anyone seriously think that a MVS/Lazard quality receiver is going to replace Watson or Doubs?
Yep, but I wasn’t referring to the Packers in general but instead I was talking about support for Love. Which will be fine by next year. It’s this year, his first year starting, that the FO seems okay with giving Love inexperienced receivers. All the way down the line.

As I stated in my earlier post, a veteran that could come in on 3rd downs and fill in for depth. I never mentioned anyone replacing Watson or Doubs. READ the posts.

There are many receivers who look good in preseason then spend the next few years bouncing between the roster and practice squad. Melton, Heath, Wicks, etc,,,2/3 of these guys won’t be in the league 4 years from now.
Love is the answer…

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I’m expecting Gute to sign a WR and a TE after cutdown day. August 29th.
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Foosball wrote:
18 Aug 2023 15:05
To the active roster?

Barring injury I would put money a WR not happening and I highly doubt it for a TE.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Aug 2023 15:09
Foosball wrote:
To the active roster?

Barring injury I would put money a WR not happening and I highly doubt it for a TE.
A cheap vet TE is definitely a possibility with the Davis injury, especially one that's good on STs.

WR is less likely, but STs can be a factor. I have no idea how good our young guys are on teams.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

salmar80 wrote:
18 Aug 2023 15:22
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Aug 2023 15:09
Foosball wrote:
To the active roster?

A cheap vet TE is definitely a possibility with the Davis injury, especially one that's good on STs.

WR is less likely, but STs can be a factor. I have no idea how good our young guys are on teams.
The Davis injury is the only reason I didn't add TE to WR. Heath and to be good ST candidate, plus Reed is on them I Believe.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Davis was only a blocking TE and very little threat as a receiver. He was going to make the team not because he was a TE but because he was a good ST player.

The 2 rookies and Deguara will be the TE room this year with Deguara playing as a TE instead of an H-Back. Instead that FB, Pearson will likely make the 53 and fill the role of a blocking TE. He is almost the same size as Deguara.

It will be interesting to see if #44 is on the kickoff and kick return teams vs the Cheatriots.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

After playing 10 hours of Madden 24, I can report what ea sports thinks of the packer roster.

Very highly of Jaire, I now has 2 ints with him in 4 games

Very high of Aaron Jones. I rushed for 200 yards against a poor sap online.

Very poorly of Love, he’s an INT machine

Very poorly of Anders the kicker. Literally best to just go for two at all times with this loser.

Rashan Gary can’t get a pressure

Breakout year for quay Walker. He’s fast and all over the field.

Pretty good year incoming for Kraft the TE. He runs a nice drag route and knows how to sit down in a zone.

Christian Walker is very good. Just better hope he stays healthy all year because he is only true “one”, and without him on the field..everyone else gets pretty easy to cover for good teams.

There you have it. That’s the skinny.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Aug 2023 22:35
After playing 10 hours of Madden 24, I can report what ea sports thinks of the packer roster.

Very poorly of Anders the kicker. Literally best to just go for two at all times with this loser.

Pretty good year incoming for Kraft the TE. He runs a nice drag route and knows how to sit down in a zone.

Christian Walker is very good. Just better hope he stays healthy all year because he is only true “one”, and without him on the field..everyone else gets pretty easy to cover for good teams.

Thanks you've just ruined the season for me.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:

What? Been hittin' on the Johnnie or Christian Bros too much lately? It's not Christian Bros brandy nor is it a Walker (Black, Blue, Red) scotch. It's a Christian Watson my friend...it's not a Quay. And they ain't Bros. GO PACK GO!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

bud fox wrote:
19 Aug 2023 05:37
Drj820 wrote:

Thanks you've just ruined the season for me.
Don't have to worry about the Madden curse just the Madden BS. :swear:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

After 2 preseason games things look good to me.

Love looks competent.

Campbell is not seriously injured and no one else is critical.

The WR's look great, even the bottom of the roster

The TE's look very promising.

Walker looks like he could be a legitimate LT. He is big and he is only 23 years old and already better than Nijman, IMO.

Wilson is the real deal at RB. He does not have the size of Dillon but he is a big RB at 5'11" 226.

And most importantly Gary is ahead of schedule.

In summary, the roster will be great - in 2024. Good this season, NFC North is possible this season if there are no major injuries.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 Aug 2023 05:51

Love looks competent.

Walker looks like he could be a legitimate LT. He is big and he is only 23 years old and already better than Nijman, IMO.

Wilson is the real deal at RB. He does not have the size of Dillon but he is a big RB at 5'11" 226.

In summary, the roster will be great - in 2024. Good this season, NFC North is possible this season if there are no major injuries.
I will say this.

This team is FUN.

But I am absolutely expecting inconsistency, frustration, exuberance, etc. It's goig to be an up and down year.

We will lose games we should win due to our mistakes.
We will win games people expect us to lose (I'm eying you KC)

But yes. We absolutely have talent. And this young team seems to know how to have a good time.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
20 Aug 2023 08:24
TheSkeptic wrote:
20 Aug 2023 05:51

Love looks competent.

I will say this.

This team is FUN.

But I am absolutely expecting inconsistency, frustration, exuberance, etc. It's goig to be an up and down year.

We will lose games we should win due to our mistakes.
We will win games people expect us to lose (I'm eying you KC)

But yes. We absolutely have talent. And this young team seems to know how to have a good time.
I am getting that same vibe. Not expecting greatness, and will most assuredly be disappointed with how the season ultimately ends, but I'm expecting a fun ride complete with thrills and disappointment.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

after watching such a small sample of Love, I know little more then I did a month ago, he seemed pretty good then and nothing he's done has changed my opinion about that, I still need to see more under a all out pass rush.

Clifford looks like a quick study, be a good back up for a few years.

While this receiver group is young, they play physical, getting off the LOS is half the battle, imo this is the best group of receivers the team has had in a decade, we need to take the leash off.

Wilson seems a lock to make the team, great vision and burst, power, got to do well on ST's, but that stuff like blocking is coachable

and we played them just as physical as they did us, even more so, Enagbare was taking no prisoners,, neither was Brooks, nor was Ford, the defense was playing fast, only a couple gash runs.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

image.png
image.png (11.92 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
22 Aug 2023 08:19
FWIW, Cole Van Lanen (yes, that guy) is also among the highest rated tackles this preseason. Just keeping things in perspective.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

APB wrote:
22 Aug 2023 08:35

FWIW, Cole Van Lanen (yes, that guy) is also among the highest rated tackles this preseason. Just keeping things in perspective.
fyi The Packers traded him to Jacksonville for a 7th round pick that they used on Anthony Johnson Jr.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Aug 2023 16:09
APB wrote:

fyi The Packers traded him to Jacksonville for a 7th round pick that they used on Anthony Johnson Jr.
I’ll never knock a pick that takes a chance on a GB native who played at Wisconsin.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
23 Aug 2023 12:07
TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Aug 2023 16:09
APB wrote:

I’ll never knock a pick that takes a chance on a GB native who played at Wisconsin.
He went to Bay Port, so lived in Howard ir Suamico. Those are both nice communities. The city of GB itself is a sh!th0le compared to 20 years ago (largely due to the public schools, but not exclusively).