Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
26 Aug 2023 09:15

His make percentage for an outside, cold weather team was fairly strong.
Unfortunately, this is a myth that carries on. He was at best mediocre even for a cold weather kicker.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Aug 2023 10:00
Madcity_matt wrote:

Unfortunately, this is a myth that carries on. He was at best mediocre even for a cold weather kicker.
so many complaints about Crosby, why did our GM's keep him, and why isn't none of the complainers bitching about them?

I find this funny because anyone who does blame them for anything is met with back lash and defense of them by the same complainers of Crosby, there a name for people like that.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
26 Aug 2023 10:16
so many complaints about Crosby, why did our GM's keep him, and why isn't none of the complainers bitching about them?

I find this funny because anyone who does blame them for anything is met with back lash and defense of them by the same complainers of Crosby, there a name for people like that.
Over the years, plenty of people complained a ton about the money paid to keep Crosby. I'd imagine similar people to who are now saying he wasn't that far above an average kicker.

Personally, again, I haven't had any strong kicker feelings in maybe a decade or two. It just seems... fine? Like it'd be great to have one of the 2 or 3 just elite guys, but aside from that, you just roll with what you can. :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Aug 2023 10:20
Yoop wrote:

Over the years, plenty of people complained a ton about the money paid to keep Crosby. I'd imagine similar people to who are now saying he wasn't that far above an average kicker.

Personally, again, I haven't had any strong kicker feelings in maybe a decade or two. It just seems... fine? Like it'd be great to have one of the 2 or 3 just elite guys, but aside from that, you just roll with what you can. :idn:
agree, my impression has always been that we didn't rely on the kicker to win games, and Crosby was good enough as long as he didn't out right lose them, and he rarely has.

the money paid to kickers is so little it shouldn't even be in this conversation imho, we loss far more on bench riders who never amount to anything, course to me there is nothing more boring about football then squibbling over contract dollars :rotf:

Ted use to drive me bonkers making sure he got as steal deal in trades, and losing out over a few slots difference in the same round, to me if ya like a player enough to bid on them in the first place, then make sure ya get em, conversely if ya have a kicker as reliable as Crosby 5 mil. annual is cheap.

I was just floored reading that initially, the construction cost of Lambeau is less then the cheapest player will will roster this season, I still can't believe it :idn: :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Aug 2023 10:00
Madcity_matt wrote:

First, it's not a complaint, it is pointing out factual evidence. Crosby was mediocre even for a cold weather kicker

Second, even if it was a complaint, there have been plenty of complaints about keeping him and paying him, over the years.
if ya have a kicker as reliable as Crosby 5 mil. annual is cheap.
First, $5 million annually would put him at 5th. In fact $5 million a year is 5th ALL TIME for a kicker contract.

Second, Crosby was far from the 5th ALL TIME best kicker.

I didn't mind Crosby as our kicker, but there is still a lot of misinformation surrounding his career.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 26 Aug 2023 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I loved Mason Crosby as a Packer.

But no question he was way over paid his entire career. His agent was incredible.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
26 Aug 2023 09:01
NCF wrote:
26 Aug 2023 08:40
Half Empty wrote:
26 Aug 2023 08:38

Getting old, so maybe the memory is selective, but I remember Crosby's career with the Pack as statistically so-so but good in the clutch. Any quick-and-dirty way to see how many games he could have won/kept us is vs those where a missed kick cost the game?
I was at one in the old Metrodome in 2008. Really ugly game, but we should have won in the end. Crosby missed a 53 yarder at the end.
thats the thing, you where at ONE, and of course there are some others, but where talking 15 seasons, and he made most of the clutch kicks.

I can't get over how people in this forum just gut players because they weren't perfect, even though they where a major contributor for our success over a long career.

GM's don't just dump a player thats been successful, specially a kicker, we could go a decade without even getting close to the success rate of Crosby. :thwap:
I wasn’t making commentary, I just answered the question. Quit reading into every post assuming the worst.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
26 Aug 2023 13:16
I loved Mason Crosby as a Packer.

But no question he was way over paid his entire career. His agent was incredible.
But it might be the reason why he is not on the team this year. It should be possible to find a punter or long snapper who can kick off.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

He’s making workout videos showing he doesn’t want to retire. My question would be…does nobody want him period, because he’s old and that leg isn’t strong….or is he just demanding more money than he is worth at this time.

As for the amazing agent thing…I’m sure his buddy rodgers leaving, and then Crosby not coming back, during the same season…is not a coincidence
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t think anyone wants Mason just for the fact that he can’t kick off anymore. I think as far as FGs go he’s still plenty fine to drive 50 yarders. I think he does get signed by a team with a struggling kicker at some point this season.

The Crosby disrespect here is insane. Dude was money in the playoffs and a lot of the time those were in unfavorable conditions. He never missed a home FG until that block happened.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/plat ... underrated
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Aug 2023 07:36
I don’t think anyone wants Mason just for the fact that he can’t kick off anymore. I think as far as FGs go he’s still plenty fine to drive 50 yarders. I think he does get signed by a team with a struggling kicker at some point this season.

The Crosby disrespect here is insane. Dude was money in the playoffs and a lot of the time those were in unfavorable conditions. He never missed a home FG until that block happened.

I don't think anyone here is disrespecting him. He was great at FGs but not so hot at kickoffs. There is a reason he is still unemployed.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:

Pugger wrote:
27 Aug 2023 09:04
lupedafiasco wrote:

I don't think anyone here is disrespecting him. He was great at FGs but not so hot at kickoffs. There is a reason he is still unemployed.
I agree with Lupe. I understand people not wanting him now. But the disrespect over his entire career as a Packer is ridiculous. Yes, he had ups and downs, but he was damn good for a long time. The majority of other teams wished they had what we had with him (save a few).
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
27 Aug 2023 11:18
lupedafiasco wrote:

Pugger wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I agree with Lupe. I understand people not wanting him now. But the disrespect over his entire career as a Packer is ridiculous. Yes, he had ups and downs, but he was damn good for a long time. The majority of other teams wished they had what we had with him (save a few).
Yes, his career in GB was great but I'm talking about now when I say there is a reason he's still unemployed. Unless the kid we drafted really flops I'm sure Gute has Crosby on speed dial.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

paco wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Pugger wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Not being able to kick off well anymore is almost certain to carry over to FG's over 50 yards or so.

Something no one has mentioned is that Mason was not a liability in covering kickoffs. He made far more than his share of tackles which might have been TD's.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

of course they are and have been for years, it's the grass is always greener thing, and they act like we over paid him, they point to kickers on rookie contracts with a couple better % points of success, even when it amounts to maybe a couple kicks a season as the reason we should have dumped him years ago, just to save a mil. or two, as though Crosby's contract stopped us from bringing in some real talented players, it's insane.
:hide:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
27 Aug 2023 13:08
Pugger wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

of course they are and have been for years, it's the grass is always greener thing, and they act like we over paid him, they point to kickers on rookie contracts with a couple better % points of success, even when it amounts to maybe a couple kicks a season as the reason we should have dumped him years ago, just to save a mil. or two, as though Crosby's contract stopped us from bringing in some real talented players, it's insane.
True, Mason being overpaid was never the problem. Rodgers being overpaid was.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
paco wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Pugger wrote:

Not being able to kick off well anymore is almost certain to carry over to FG's over 50 yards or so.

Something no one has mentioned is that Mason was not a liability in covering kickoffs. He made far more than his share of tackles which might have been TD's.
you saw a example of just difficult it is to kick in Lambeau with Anders kickoff into the wind, it landed at the 7 yrd line, in the other direction they go out the back of the EZ, but as the announcer said the wind often swirls at Lambeau, meaning up high it might be easterly, lower it could be slightly from the west, if those conditions are mild it isn't mentioned, but that doesn't mean it's so mild it doesn't affect the kicks.

Crosby gets no quarter, it's as though some don't bother reading articles like the one Lupe Brought, for them these stupid stats are all that matter, there goal is to paint Crosby as a over paid average kicker, there mind is made up.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Aug 2023 13:10
Yoop wrote:
Pugger wrote:

True, Mason being overpaid was never the problem. Rodgers being overpaid was.
ahhhhhh.

Rodgers was never over paid compared to what others of less ability where paid though, this Rodgers was over paid, or wouldn't take a team discount is bunk, neither was Crosby really, this is mostly disgruntled fan ship propaganda :thwap: :lol:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Aug 2023 14:25
Honestly sad to see Mason begging for a job on Twitter after a long career. But the fact that no one is biting should tell us what we need to know about the thoughts on him around the league
Um, no. I think that Mason is one of the “once a Packer…” guys. I really think it’s that simple. He wants to be a Packer long as he can. And if they close the door, he doesn’t feel compelled to go play someplace else.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Aug 2023 14:27
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Aug 2023 14:25
Honestly sad to see Mason begging for a job on Twitter after a long career. But the fact that no one is biting should tell us what we need to know about the thoughts on him around the league
Um, no. I think that Mason is one of the “once a Packer…” guys. I really think it’s that simple. He wants to be a Packer long as he can. And if they close the door, he doesn’t feel compelled to go play someplace else.
Jacke and Longwell are Packers Hall of Famers. Will Crosby be elected as well?