Roster Cuts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’m intrigued, maybe a little tire kicking action.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:01

I imagine there will be several teams interested. I expect he'll get claimed. We are 15th in the claim order, so won't be easy to claim anyone.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Aug 2023 11:16
Bogey wrote:
29 Aug 2023 11:09
Sad to see Thump Gaines cut. Hope to see him back on PS.
Gaines and SJC are not surprises individually, but cutting both means we don't have a clear backup nickel. I'm surprised they're both gone, especially with Gaines' ST play
Gaines and SJC did not look viable to be even backup-caliber nickel DBs, both wholly unable to actually cover out of the slot. And we already have a spot reserved for a DB that can't cover and is purely a (much better) ST ace: Leavitt.

No point in keeping guys as backups if they can't even give you serviceable play when needed; we might as well just play one of our other DBs out-of-position or poach some guy off another team's PS at that point, because neither will likely be any worse.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 11:16
Bogey wrote:
29 Aug 2023 11:09
Sad to see Thump Gaines cut. Hope to see him back on PS.
I'd be fine with it. But this was year 3 for him. He hasn't shown enough improvement to think he's ever really going to get that much better. Does suck getting cut on your birthday. Happy B-day Innes!
He hates "Innis." Goes by Thump since high school.

He's aces on special teams. Also, I would make a crappy GM. I just like the dude and could never cut him.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:01

I would sign the &%$@ out of Albert O.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 09:47
I'm all for bringing in young talent. They can all mature together. Look at what the Brew Crew has done with Monasterio, Frelick and Turang.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 29 Aug 2023 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:34

I'm all for bringing in young talent. They can all mature together. Look at what the Brew Crew has done with Monte 3B and Frelick and Turang.
:dunno: When did this happen? I didn't think baseball existed after July when football starts.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:36
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

I'm all for bringing in young talent. They can all mature together. Look at what the Brew Crew has done with Monte 3B and Frelick and Turang.
:dunno: When did this happen? I didn't think baseball existed after July when football starts.
They're on an 8 game winning streak. Irritating CUBs fans.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:39
wallyuwl wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:36
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I feel mixed about Albert O. He was a ghost last year with Hackett as the HC. MLF assuredly knows people with insights into him and his fit. He's always had potential and hasn't done really anything. His blocking has gotten better, but he was supposed to be a dynamic weapon. Not sure where his level of skill and technique stands right now. But am wary of a guy who regressed in, essentially, our offensive system last year. If we add him, great. If not, I'm not going to feel like we missed something big.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I mentioned I'd be watching the Titans' TE cuts. We have news.

TE Thomas Odukoya of the Titans has been released. He was their best blocking TE already and is otherwise a raw work in progress--he's their international player program. If he clears waivers, they will keep him under the international player program roster exemption. But he's an interesting guy for a waiver claim.

There was thought to be a roster battle between Odukoya and Kevin Rader for the final TE spot. Rader is more of the versatile H-back/FB type and with Deguara and Pearson in house, I doubt we'd choose a brand new face, for that, but Rader was also released.

Familiar name from draft stuff but who I have no clue if he's anything at all, Alize Mack was waived with an injury designation, so he's out there, but there's no telling what a timeline would be for a return to football after he reaches an injury settlement with the team.

Away from the Titans... I've also seen Elijah Higgins, a WR/TE hybrid from Stanford who was converted fully to TE in Miami got released.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:39

Wait, so baseball is still being played? Who knew?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Cut so far:

*Matt Orzech (Huber)
Cole Schneider (Wood)
Lew Nichols (Huber)
Jason Lewan (Wood)
Cody Chrest (Wood)
Austin Allen (Wood)
Jimmy Phillips (Huber)
Jean Delance (Schneidman)
Nate McCrary (Wood)
Kiondre Thomas (Wood)
Shemar Jean-Charles (Silverstein)
Innis Gaines (Wood)
Tyrell Ford (Hodge)
Benny Sapp (Silverstein)
Dre Miller (PackersNews)
Kadeem Telfort (Schneidman)
Duece Watts (Silverstein)
Broughton Hatcher (Silverstein/Huber)
William Hooper (Wood)
James Empey (Huber)
Corey Ballentine (Huber)

*The Packers intend to re-sign Orzech on Wednesday per Bill Huber.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

So we're going with only 4 CBs at the moment, it seems... Jaire, Rasul, Nixon, Valentine... Stokes on PUP

Is that right? That can't be right.

We've released nickelback 2 (Gaines), 3 (SJC), and 4 (Ballentine) (maybe not in that order)

I know Valentine got a look inside in the final preseason game; maybe that's being tried out.

And miss me with Savage and Douglas have played there because they played worse and got moved back to their original positions because their moves made the team worse.

EDIT: Wait is that late pickup Hamilton from the XFL still on the roster? That would be a surprising 5th corner

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Aug 2023 13:50
So we're going with only 4 CBs at the moment, it seems... Jaire, Rasul, Nixon, Valentine... Stokes on PUP

Is that right? That can't be right.

We've released nickelback 2 (Gaines), 3 (SJC), and 4 (Ballentine) (maybe not in that order)

I know Valentine got a look inside in the final preseason game; maybe that's being tried out.

And miss me with Savage and Douglas have played there because they played worse and got moved back to their original positions because their moves made the team worse.

EDIT: Wait is that late pickup Hamilton from the XFL still on the roster? That would be a surprising 5th corner
I imagine at least 1 of the guys we released will end up on the practice squad and get some early call ups on gameday.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Oh yeah bring back the laser show! :banana:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

After a year putting a lot of resources into Special Teams, seems a lot being lost/taken away (outside of new punter, LS, and kicker).
RIP JustJeff