Roster Cuts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 14:30
After a year putting a lot of resources into Special Teams, seems a lot being lost/taken away (outside of new punter, LS, and kicker).
Expect the coverage and return units to be bad.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
After a year putting a lot of resources into Special Teams, seems a lot being lost/taken away (outside of new punter, LS, and kicker).
I mean we had no choice with Tyler Davis, but we have Leavitt and Carpenter and Eric Wilson so far not gone--not to mention that Emanuel Wilson making the team doesn't mean Taylor didn't, unless I missed an update there.

That's plenty of "ST-first" bodies right now. The units should be able to make use of new STs bodies coming to the roster like Malik Heath and Emanuel Wilson.

Actually feels to me like the numbers at some positions (CB low, RB potentially high, ILB potentially more than 3) are all about STs, showing ou continued dedication to it, not a lot of losses.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:10
BF004 wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:01
I’m intrigued, maybe a little tire kicking action.

I imagine there will be several teams interested. I expect he'll get claimed. We are 15th in the claim order, so won't be easy to claim anyone.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
There is always a lot of bottom roster turnover and those guys traditionally fill the ST lineups. The key guys are still there and, along with the new guys and competent coaching, I expect little change in play…outside of better FG execution. :mrgreen:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I always get nervous celebrating guys who make the roster on cutdown day knowing that in 24 hours there are likely to be waiver claims and corresponding cuts.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Cut so far:

*Matt Orzech (Huber)
Cole Schneider (Wood)
Lew Nichols (Huber)
Jason Lewan (Wood)
Cody Chrest (Wood)
Austin Allen (Wood)
Jimmy Phillips (Huber)
Jean Delance (Schneidman)
Nate McCrary (Wood)
Kiondre Thomas (Wood)
Shemar Jean-Charles (Silverstein)
Innis Gaines (Wood)
Tyrell Ford (Hodge)
Benny Sapp (Silverstein)
Dre Miller (PackersNews)
Kadeem Telfort (Schneidman)
Duece Watts (Silverstein)
Broughton Hatcher (Silverstein/Huber)
William Hooper (Wood)
James Empey (Huber)
Corey Ballentine (Huber)
Tarvarius Moore (Huber)
Chris Slayton (Huber)
Marvin Pierre (Huber)

*The Packers intend to re-sign Orzech on Wednesday per Bill Huber.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

With Van Ness moving around and not wanting to pressure Gary too much, this isn't all that surprising.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Dubose - out
Newman - in
Stokes - PUP

RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Aug 2023 13:11
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:39

They're on an 8 game winning streak. Irritating CUBs fans.
Wait, so baseball is still being played? Who knew?
Baseball...? Never heard of it. Is that one of those made-up games like quidditch?
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Your 53 man roster (for the next few hours).
image.png
image.png (144.4 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Keeping 5 ILBs when only 3 can play LB and 5 safeties when only 3 can play S definitely shores up the "are we keeping enough STers" debate in my eyes.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also, we already know Tenuta goes to IR and the long-snapper comes back, so we should consider this 10 OL not 11.

But still shocked Newman made the cut over some of the trickier decisions around the roster.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:24
Keeping 5 ILBs when only 3 can play LB and 5 safeties when only 3 can play S definitely shores up the "are we keeping enough STers" debate in my eyes.
That could change when Campbell is healthy too. Wouldn't doubt he misses a little time.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:25
Also, we already know Tenuta goes to IR and the long-snapper comes back, so we should consider this 10 OL not 11.

But still shocked Newman made the cut over some of the trickier decisions around the roster.
Yeah, that's a lot of OL. Kind of hoping we see Newman get traded. Was surprised Jones made it. But they must feel they need to protect him. But if there is concern over Bak, we are certainly covered for LT options.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:28
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:24
That could change when Campbell is healthy too. Wouldn't doubt he misses a little time.
Good point; I sorta forgot about that

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I too am shocked that Newman made it. Would not be surprised if the Packers find a guard off another team's cut down and cut Newman. Otherwise they see something we don't.

I called it on Wilson though. Tough to cut talent and he made a couple of nice plays in the Seahawks game, specifically that screen pass. He has the size and speed to play ST too.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NFL paychecks on cut-down day

7th rounder on the 53 = $750K/ yr / 18 weeks = $41,667/ week
Practice squad rookie thru 2nd year players = $ 12,000/wk
Practice squad for 3+ years experience = $ 16K - $ 20K/ week

Top QBs are getting $ 50M per year = $ 2,777,777/ week

That's quite a range for guys in the same locker room... and making the 53 is quite the pay raise
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Is that really only 4 corners???

I guess Savage should be able to play slot in a pinch.

Wonder if we’ll have a few PS call ups and they are expecting Stokes back sooner than later, or maybe they change something there.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Stokes is out min 4 games.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Biggest shock to me is having 4 CBs. Not only is it surprising by roster malpractice. That’s a position that can go down at anytime and with needing to start 3 that’s beyond stupid. But this is the Bumst we are talking about.

I expected 2 QBs, 3RBs. I thought they might carry 4 TEs. I expected the 6 WRs who made it. I’m surprised by the amount of OL. Even at 10 I think it’s 1 too many. Not sure how Newman makes this team. The DL and the edge I expected. Out front is so deep and talented. I’m shocked at 5 LBs. Keeping Carpenter is dumb IMO. Not sure what he’s good at. He’s sucked at S, sucked at LB, and really isn’t that great at STs. Omega shocked at 6 &%$@ safeties. Bisaccia has way too much pull to get Levitt on this team. I would high key cut Levitt over placing Tenuta on IR just off principle off not keeping a turd burgularing bum sauce player on the roster.
Cancelled by the forum elites.