Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

we all know taylors ceiling. Wilsons ceiling is worth further evaluation
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
29 Aug 2023 12:09
NCF wrote:
29 Aug 2023 11:07
Luck of the Irish?

:lombardi:
You're telling me this guy ain't Irish?

image.png
“Irish-born” seems relevant….

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 14:31
wallyuwl wrote:
29 Aug 2023 14:30
Wilson over Taylor? Whoa. :dunno:
My thought too. My comment in the cuts thread. Seems a lot of the ST's groups getting gutted after putting an emphasis on there last year.
smart money, ya can teach a player to hit, tackle and block, vision and patience are born given traits, and Williams has shown a abundance of both, I sort of expected this, same with other ST's players, the ability to play either O or D has to be considered over just the ability to play ST's :idn:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Aug 2023 14:38
I'm glad they are going with potential this time. I was miffed last year when they kept Taylor over Goodson.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:10
Drj820 wrote:
I'm glad they are going with potential this time. I was miffed last year when they kept Taylor over Goodson.
In any case, RB3 is barely used. Only needed if there's an injury. Wilson, at this point, offers little on ST or in the passing game. I expect he'll be inactive often.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:12
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
In any case, RB3 is barely used. Only needed if there's an injury. Wilson, at this point, offers little on ST or in the passing game. I expect he'll be inactive often.
I think it has more to do with Dillon in the last year of his deal and Jones being older of for the RB position. They need to develop someone to at the very least be a realizable RB2 next season.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:15
paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:12
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

I think it has more to do with Dillon in the last year of his deal and Jones being older of for the RB position. They need to develop someone to at the very least be a realizable RB2 next season.
You are probably right. In all fairness, there's a possibility that Wilson is RB1 next year. Dillon and Jones might both be gone.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Interesting look.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Four CB is kinda wild. I really don't get keeping Newman at this point. I don't see him as even serviceable at any OL spot, and ofc there's no real ST value in an eleventh lineman (I mean yeah sure, gotta have guys on the OL for punts/FGs, but c'mon).

It sucks that Moore got hurt because I liked him way more than anyone else we have at S other than Ford. Sure, he could return, but I don't remember us actually bringing back a guy we let go with an injury settlement, so I am counting him out 'til further notice. Owens is trash IMO but hey, cool that Simone Biles will be a Packer fan for a bit longer.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Really wish they would have resigned Amos instead of Moore and Owens but alas, this team is going young. There’s only a handful of vets at all (Bahk, Jones, P. Smith, Campbell and Douglas)

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lake shark wrote:
29 Aug 2023 16:16
Really wish they would have resigned Amos instead of Moore and Owens but alas, this team is going young. There’s only a handful of vets at all (Bahk, Jones, P. Smith, Campbell and Douglas)
Those that are still around a year from now will all be veterans - when it counts. Plus an new draft class headed by two 1st round picks. Should be a lot of fun to watch. This will be a good team this year and maybe great for a long time after this year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:40
Interesting look.
If we consider the Tenuta IR move and count OL as 10 and ST as 3 for opening day considerations, the real standouts here to me are keeping only 4 CBs, only 3 TEs, 5 ILB and 6 EDGE....

and so I guess I would predict that waivers would likely add a TE and maybe a CB at the expense of an ILB or OL in the coming days and we'll end up with a pretty normal roster construction.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Wilson at some point over the season is released and bumped down to PS where he can elevate up on game days, but maybe not. As I've said before, I'm still getting used to what teams can/will do under the PS elevation rules; my roster construction predictions are commonly wrong

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I also don’t imagine a way that we keep 11 OLinemen on the roster. Stranger things have maybe happened. If it’s really about keeping the best players… (But then there’s Newman.)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
29 Aug 2023 14:41
paco wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
29 Aug 2023 14:30
Wilson over Taylor? Whoa. :dunno:
My thought too. My comment in the cuts thread. Seems a lot of the ST's groups getting gutted after putting an emphasis on there last year.
smart money, ya can teach a player to hit, tackle and block, vision and patience are born given traits, and Williams has shown a abundance of both, I sort of expected this, same with other ST's players, the ability to play either O or D has to be considered over just the ability to play ST's :idn:
Which Williams are we talking about?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Still probably better than the Cardinals.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 23:55
About 10 names that I remember in this list. A few starters. Only 1 "blue", Sam Shields. I expect Heath and Wilson to be rotational players or solid backups, but Cox could be special. As a result, Preston Smith's days are numbered as he will soon be the 4th best OLB. Can't be paying 16 mil to your 4th best OLB.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 15:19
You are probably right. In all fairness, there's a possibility that Wilson is RB1 next year. Dillon and Jones might both be gone.
I highly doubt there's any chance of Wilson being the #1 running back on the Packers in 2024. With the team not saving a ton of cap space by moving on from Jones after this season I expect him to be around next season as well.
TheSkeptic wrote:
30 Aug 2023 03:43
About 10 names that I remember in this list. A few starters. Only 1 "blue", Sam Shields. I expect Heath and Wilson to be rotational players or solid backups, but Cox could be special. As a result, Preston Smith's days are numbered as he will soon be the 4th best OLB. Can't be paying 16 mil to your 4th best OLB.
First of all I believe it's far too early to consider Preston ending up as being only the fourth best outside linebacker on the roster. In addition, the Packers moving on from him next offseason would result in a total of $14 million of dead money counting against their cap. Therefore there's not a ton of incentive to release him before the start of the 2024 season.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

CWIMM wrote:
30 Aug 2023 04:37
the Packers moving on from him next offseason would result in a total of $14 million of dead money counting against their cap. Therefore there's not a ton of incentive to release him before the start of the 2024 season.
Dead money doesn’t mean much in a vacuum without knowing the offsetting savings, or about 16.3M I believe. So the opportunity cost of a 2024 move is 3.2M, not very substantial. But then also added benefit of having clean books in 2025 which is harder to quantify.

Either way, I think it’s likely he sticks around too, just making the point that just thinking of the dead money only gives an incomplete pic.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Aug 2023 20:15
Yoop wrote:
29 Aug 2023 14:41
paco wrote:

Which Williams are we talking about?
ahhhhh, Wilson, not Williams

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

TheSkeptic wrote:
30 Aug 2023 03:43
paco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 23:55
He's not included on the list because he wasn't acquired the exact same way (he was someone else's UDFA that GB picked up for their PS mid-season), but Tramon Williams was one of the more successful UDFA's GB has had.