Do we have a bad, good, or great roster in 2023?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Aug 2023 13:11
BF004 wrote:
23 Aug 2023 12:07
TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Aug 2023 16:09

fyi The Packers traded him to Jacksonville for a 7th round pick that they used on Anthony Johnson Jr.

I’ll never knock a pick that takes a chance on a GB native who played at Wisconsin.
He went to Bay Port, so lived in Howard ir Suamico. Those are both nice communities. The city of GB itself is a sh!th0le compared to 20 years ago (largely due to the public schools, but not exclusively).

;)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I have more good news for the 2023 roster, per my madden 24 franchise.

Aaron Jones is headed for a massive year. Lafleur knows this is last year as a Packer and he’s going to put massive milage on the tires.

Tj Slayton will have a breakout year. The DL will be a strength for the first time in a very long time.

As I said before, big year for Quay incoming.

Inconsistent play from Love. But we are going to take pressure off him by running the ball.

Watson stays healthy the whole year and goes for just under a 1000.

Team is playoff bound. No rebuilding year, sorry golf cart Bakh.

Okay, there you have it.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Aug 2023 23:29
I have more good news for the 2023 roster, per my madden 24 franchise.

Aaron Jones is headed for a massive year. Lafleur knows this is last year as a Packer and he’s going to put massive milage on the tires.

Tj Slayton will have a breakout year. The DL will be a strength for the first time in a very long time.

As I said before, big year for Quay incoming.

Inconsistent play from Love. But we are going to take pressure off him by running the ball.

Watson stays healthy the whole year and goes for just under a 1000.

Team is playoff bound. No rebuilding year, sorry golf cart Bakh.

Okay, there you have it.
Yeah, no golf for Bakh until March.

If Watson stays healthy it will be at least 1200. The Packers will run the ball more and that is a good thing - they should have run it more last season.

Why do you think this is Jones' last year? True there is a huge cap hit but there would also be a huge dead cap hit if they cut him. It is going to be a SB run, you pay the man and bring home the trophy. Structure Gary for a low cap hit in 2024 and Jones' cap is not a problem.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

The roster is better than the record will be. Too much inexperience this year and still carrying a lot of dead cap.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Who is the one UDFA that’ll make the team?

I like the WR guy…
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Aug 2023 19:14

I like the WR guy…
Heath? He has to be a lock. Dude was playing with the 1's on offense with Love, and one of Love's favorite targets.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Waldo wrote:
28 Aug 2023 14:07
Scott4Pack wrote:

I like the WR guy…
Heath? He has to be a lock. Dude was playing with the 1's on offense with Love, and one of Love's favorite targets.
It seems like the guys with the most “go tos” were Heath, Musgrave, Doubs, and Reed. If PS is any indicator, I’d say that’s spreading the ball around pretty well. Add Watson, who has been quiet in PS, and the occasional dump off to Jones/Dillon and TE screen, I’d say that we’re set.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Gute Loves his Draft Picks, Film at 10

I'm always amazed at these articles talking about how an NFL GM loves his draft picks...over UDFAs and XFL players
If you spend multi-millions building a personnel and scouting team...why wouldn't you favor the players they ranked higher ?

Bill Huber is a strange cat and he loves to beat the drum for "Gute loves his draft picks !"
Its just such a " Duh" situation, but a few reporters try to paint it as some sort of character flaw. Especially since GB is well known around the league for rostering UDFAs every year.

Change the headline to:
"After years of in depth studying, Gute favors the players they rated higher" and you can see just how dumb an angle this is for an article.
Come on Huber, step it up

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/wit ... raft-picks

"Other than his family, there’s nothing that Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst loves more than his draft picks."
IT. IS. TIME

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Scott4Pack wrote:

I like the WR guy…
Technically, is Whelen considered an UDFA?

If I were to rank their chances of staying, I'd guess:

1) Cox LB
2) Heath WR
3) Pearson FB
4) Telfort LT
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Aug 2023 13:11
BF004 wrote:
23 Aug 2023 12:07
TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Aug 2023 16:09

fyi The Packers traded him to Jacksonville for a 7th round pick that they used on Anthony Johnson Jr.
I’ll never knock a pick that takes a chance on a GB native who played at Wisconsin.
He went to Bay Port, so lived in Howard ir Suamico. Those are both nice communities. The city of GB itself is a sh!th0le compared to 20 years ago (largely due to the public schools, but not exclusively).
I think it's more due to a lot of people from bigger cities coming to Green Bay. I live in De Pere and try to avoid Green Bay as much as possible now.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
28 Aug 2023 15:06
Technically, is Whelan considered an UDFA?
Cool story on him

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other- ... 08975.html

Whelan moved to the United States from the Garden County aged 13, and he played as punter with the UC Davis Aggies in the Big Sky Conference before spending a season in the XFL

"Should Whelan punt for the Packers in their season opener against the Chicago Bears on September 10, he will be the first Irish-born player to feature in the NFL since Neil O'Donoghue played with the St Louis Cardinals in 1985."
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Here's a link to the Packers depth chart from October of 2019 - MLFs first season in Titletown
( you can set it for any date in the Archive drop down)

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/225/GB

Players still on roster:

3 on offense out of 28
5 on defense out of 26
0 on STs
1 from PS

That's quite the turnover in 4 seasons ( 86 %)
IT. IS. TIME

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
I don't think Whelan should be considered an UDFA as he entered the NFL last year signing with the Saints. He didn't even make it to training camp though.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

I like the WR guy…

If I were to rank their chances of staying, I'd guess:

1) Cox LB
2) Heath WR
3) Pearson FB
4) Telfort LT
How about the 2 that made it?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

CWIMM wrote:
29 Aug 2023 03:51
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
I don't think Whelan should be considered an UDFA as he entered the NFL last year signing with the Saints. He didn't even make it to training camp though.
Right, he was an UDFA last year for the Saints... He'll be considered a first-year player, rather than a rookie. Which is semantics, but I'm assuming we're asking in regards to our streak of keeping an UDFA on the roster every year. That'll be Heath and/or Cox this year, though

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Here's # 94 Karl Brooks
- he kinda looks like Mike Daniels to me. It would be awesome if he plays like Mike and his preseason performance was a pretty good start

Full roster pics in link

https://www.packers.com/photos/packers- ... 49adb67a0

IT. IS. TIME

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Aug 2023 21:42
And this is a good thing after this season. Maybe by December also. The goal this season should be to be a 500 team with 5 games to go.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Aug 2023 21:42
Crazy it is that much of an outlier, but this is basically what we needed to do this offseason.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Inexperience and youth on offense and Joe Barry concern me, but overall I think this roster is very talented. Oline should be better this year than last with Bahktiari and Jenkins back. WR's and TE's seen to have a lot of potential, but little experience. BUT, we have 2 excellent RB's and good OLine so that helps.

Defense I think has a lot of playmakers on an individual basis that need to be formed into a team defense and we'll be shutting a lot of people down. I think individually they are far better than they play at times. I'd like to see that change. Safety is kind of weak, but the rest is strong to very strong IMO along the starting roster.