Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

"The Miami Dolphins weren't the only team interested in acquiring Jonathan Taylor from the Indianapolis Colts.
The Green Bay Packers also were in talks with the Colts and had legitimate interest in trading for the star running back per sources"

WOW
IT. IS. TIME

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BSA wrote:
30 Aug 2023 10:28
"The Miami Dolphins weren't the only team interested in acquiring Jonathan Taylor from the Indianapolis Colts.
The Green Bay Packers also were in talks with the Colts and had legitimate interest in trading for the star running back per sources"

WOW
I actually agree with us inquiring. The price is too high but if the price went down, I could see a scenario where bringing him in would be a positive.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
30 Aug 2023 10:28

WOW
Not sure I buy it, but no harm in inquiring.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Aug 2023 10:49
no harm in inquiring.
Gute said on several occasions " we'll be in on every available player discussion"
That was him telling other players/ agents: there's a new regime in Titletown
IT. IS. TIME

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Looking at all the ways Gute has brought players in over the years and worked FA, Cap, Trades, in season and out, etc. I have little doubt he's always looking for ways to improve this roster. personally I think the likelihood of landing someone like Taylor was probably low for a few reasons, mainly money, I also wouldn't doubt Gute was checking into it and had a plan.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Man we had a lot of starting Safetys who were UDFAs. And the play reflected it too.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

A few tweets related to the Taylor interest...

RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packers too often are a "contender" per the media, but it is usually a negotiation ploy by the other team. I suspect that is the case here.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Really loved him coming out, think we ended up taking Dillon like 10-15 picks later.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BSA wrote:
30 Aug 2023 10:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Aug 2023 10:49
no harm in inquiring.
Gute said on several occasions " we'll be in on every available player discussion"
That was him telling other players/ agents: there's a new regime in Titletown
Since Gute's been here since '18, who is the new regime?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

musclestang wrote:
30 Aug 2023 11:16
Looking at all the ways Gute has brought players in over the years and worked FA, Cap, Trades, in season and out, etc. I have little doubt he's always looking for ways to improve this roster. personally I think the likelihood of landing someone like Taylor was probably low for a few reasons, mainly money, I also wouldn't doubt Gute was checking into it and had a plan.
Welcome! Thanks for trying us out here.

Given Dillon and Taylor are in a similar situation, had we engaged in trade talks, have to think Dillon would have been offered back. Indy gets a decent RB they could resign at a far below top of market value. Taylor would be an upgrade for sure there, especially if they think they don’t want Jones beyond this years. Seems like Gute and Lafleur both put a lot of importance on RB, so I could envision a scenario where there could be appealing to them.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2023 14:16
musclestang wrote:

Given Dillon and Taylor are in a similar situation, had we engaged in trade talks, have to think Dillon would have been offered back. Indy gets a decent RB they could resign at a far below top of market value. Taylor would be an upgrade for sure there, especially if they think they don’t want Jones beyond this years. Seems like Gute and Lafleur both put a lot of importance on RB, so I could envision a scenario where there could be appealing to them.
I concur with you. That said, I don’t know that Guty favors obtaining upper tier talent from other teams unless it’s at a moderate price.

I think Taylor is for sure a more dynamic runner than Dillon. But Dillon perfectly fits what GB wants in RB2. Not convinced that Dillon would become RB1 if Jones leaves/retires. Maybe that’s as much reason to kick the tires for RB talent.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
musclestang wrote:

I think of it this way, the cost of WR= rookie contracts, chump change, so now ya have money to spend on another position that can help to sustain drives and score TD's, so imo Taylor wouldn't be replacing anyone, we could even have all 3 on the field 4 or 5 times a game, at least for this year, just spiffing :idn:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Adorbs

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
30 Aug 2023 08:01
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Aug 2023 20:15
Yoop wrote:
29 Aug 2023 14:41

smart money, ya can teach a player to hit, tackle and block, vision and patience are born given traits, and Williams has shown a abundance of both, I sort of expected this, same with other ST's players, the ability to play either O or D has to be considered over just the ability to play ST's :idn:
Which Williams are we talking about?
ahhhhh, Wilson, not Williams
I was wondering. At least someone is attempting to pay attention. I agree BTW. Wilson will be fun to root for. I hope he makes alot of plays.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
musclestang wrote:

I saw a rumor Dillon and a pick were offered, Indy countered wanting that + Watson. Also rumors they wanted Waddle + more from Miami. If true, they are obviously not serious about trading him.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
30 Aug 2023 22:29
I saw a rumor Dillon and a pick were offered, Indy countered wanting that + Watson. Also rumors they wanted Waddle + more from Miami. If true, they are obviously not serious about trading him.
I saw that not as a rumor but as a guess, but the way the press really hounded Gutey about how the RB room or Dillon specifically might be in their feels about the rumors or not feeling wanted--and given that Dillon and Jones didn't make themselves available in the locker room during press availability today, there's some smoke there.

Nothing I'm super concerned about. They're football players and professionals and they'll go play. But it was an interesting development

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

No way they are getting Watson. That is an insult to Gute, nothing more.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

As much as I like Taylor as a player, I'd have hated a trade for him. You can't tie up all that money on a position that is relatively easy to replace production-wise. The difference between elite level RB play and adequate/competent play is not so great to justify spending top dollar IMO.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2023 07:31
Dead money doesn’t mean much in a vacuum without knowing the offsetting savings, or about 16.3M I believe. So the opportunity cost of a 2024 move is 3.2M, not very substantial. But then also added benefit of having clean books in 2025 which is harder to quantify.

Either way, I think it’s likely he sticks around too, just making the point that just thinking of the dead money only gives an incomplete pic.
You're absolutely right that cap savings as well as future money having to be paid needs to be considered when talking about dead money.
APB wrote:
31 Aug 2023 03:47
As much as I like Taylor as a player, I'd have hated a trade for him. You can't tie up all that money on a position that is relatively easy to replace production-wise. The difference between elite level RB play and adequate/competent play is not so great to justify spending top dollar IMO.
I guess a trade for Taylor would have been made with the idea of replacing Jones as the starter in 2024. He's four years younger after all.

It's telling that both Dillon and Jones didn't show up for media availability after yesterday's practice.