Do we have a bad, good, or great roster in 2023?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Gute comments on 2023 roster formation via Packers Wire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/0 ... decisions/

— On Tarvarius Moore: Dealt with a few injuries (including knee injury) that limited him in camp. Decision to keep Jonathan Owens came down to availability.

— On Luke Tenuta: Big, smart, tough. Packers love his upside at offensive tackle. “We think he’s a big guy who can play. We’d like to keep developing him.” Said Packers won’t keep 11 offensive linemen, suggesting Tenuta will go on injured reserve.

— On offensive tackles: Said Packers took “calls” on availability of several offensive tackles, but teams can never have enough good tackles.

many more in the link
IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BSA wrote:
30 Aug 2023 14:11
many more in the link
Good read, thanks for sharing.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

musclestang wrote:
30 Aug 2023 08:32
Inexperience and youth on offense and Joe Barry concern me, but overall I think this roster is very talented. Oline should be better this year than last with Bahktiari and Jenkins back. WR's and TE's seen to have a lot of potential, but little experience. BUT, we have 2 excellent RB's and good OLine so that helps.

Defense I think has a lot of playmakers on an individual basis that need to be formed into a team defense and we'll be shutting a lot of people down. I think individually they are far better than they play at times. I'd like to see that change. Safety is kind of weak, but the rest is strong to very strong IMO along the starting roster.
In my opinion that overall the roster has the potential to be very talented. With a lot of players either not having played much or not at all at the pro level it's anyone's guess if they will develop as expected though.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

CWIMM wrote:
31 Aug 2023 04:27

In my opinion that overall the roster has the potential to be very talented. With a lot of players either not having played much or not at all at the pro level it's anyone's guess if they will develop as expected though.
yeah, we won't know they can actually play when the games count until they play, but i just have a different feeling with some of them this year. In the past I'd see the potential and then see them play and be like, well they just need some time, not quite there yet. This year I see some of these young guys and though they'll get better, I see guys ready to take the bull by the horns. That will still come with mistakes that will cost us at times, but it's a much different feel than waiting for someone like St. Brown translate potential to production.

But i've been wrong before LOL

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
31 Aug 2023 05:50
CWIMM wrote:
31 Aug 2023 04:27

yeah, we won't know they can actually play when the games count until they play, but i just have a different feeling with some of them this year. In the past I'd see the potential and then see them play and be like, well they just need some time, not quite there yet. This year I see some of these young guys and though they'll get better, I see guys ready to take the bull by the horns. That will still come with mistakes that will cost us at times, but it's a much different feel than waiting for someone like St. Brown translate potential to production.

But i've been wrong before LOL
Welcome to the forum :aok:

I agree, thinking positive and being optimistic feels better concerning some of these young players/rookies then some of the past draft picks, this group just seems more ready to play at this level, and not so raw like Brown or Amari etc.
just give them a smaller playbook and roll.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Amari wasn't raw. Amari simply sucked.

Yet again. Can't really hold it against him. His fate was sealed once he was selected by Green in the daunted 3rd round.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
31 Aug 2023 09:19
Amari wasn't raw. Amari simply sucked.

Yet again. Can't really hold it against him. His fate was sealed once he was selected by Green in the daunted 3rd round.
his brain was like runny scrambled eggs, raw isn't just a physical thing, and the third round curse is a Packer planet/huddle thing, we've just been unlucky gambling on boom or bust talent in 3rd round.

also imho any football player that makes a NFL roster doesn't suck, there all good if they make it this far.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Amari was a guy I had high hopes for, but he just couldn't put it together on the field. Physically talented, but it takes more than that at this level.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

RB3 in 2023

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/0 ... an-roster/

As a ball carrier is where Wilson really stood out. He averaged 5.9 yards per rush, which was bolstered by an 80-yard touchdown against Cincinnati. His 11 forced missed tackles were the most among all running backs during the preseason, and he tied for first in rushes of 10 or more yards with five.

“He’s got really good vision,” said Matt LaFleur. “I thought he ran with really good contact balance. He was able to make people miss and showed some speed in the open field.”

He was significantly, probably far away early from the special teams and some of the other nuances of playing running back,” said Gutekunst, “but he really progressed through the last few weeks. He showed some special things in his opportunities.”

IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

EDGE Depth via Packers Wire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/0 ... sher-room/

How LaFleur and Joe Barry go about divvying up snaps amongst this group remains to be seen. We know that Gary and Smith will be the starters and see the most playing time, however, LaFleur did say that early on, Gary would be on a “pitch count” as he continues to work his way back from injury.

It would appear that Enagbare, with his play this summer, could be the third member of that rotation, but how snaps are divided between Hollins, Van Ness, and Cox is unknown. It’s possible that Hollins could see more early down snaps to help against the run while Van Ness is on the field in obvious passing situations. Cox’s role, meanwhile, could be small as a rookie, largely due to the depth of this unit.

Typical season is about 1000 snaps and an ideal allocation is 650 snaps for your starters and 350 each for the back-ups. With a 6 man rotation, gives a little more flexibility in keeping starters fresh - while not suffering a massive drop off that the opponents can attack.

“The room has grown,” said Hollins about the edge rusher room. “I feel like we are on the right track right now. Guys are making plays. We are playing with that mentality that you love to see. That dog mentality.

Speaking of Dogs, this is a very deep and talented rotation - one that would make Gilmore/Waters proud

Wave upon wave of demented avengers rushing cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yeah, it’s a deep room. But I just want to see so much harassment and sacking of QBs that we could play the worst Safety group in the league and still not have a concern in the world.

Ooops. We might actually have the worst Safety group…
;-)

But you guys know what I mean…
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I'm sure it's been addressed here, but I wanted to get this as a thinking out loud exercise. Are we good, bad, great, unknown at each position group.

QB - Unknown - I have to give Love an unknown at this point. But I am at least leaning in the positive direction. I like a lot of what I've seen this preseason. But I fully expect there will be moments that I say, "Why the F did you throw that?!?". But this very well could end up being a good.

RB - Great - What's not to like about Aaron Jones? I expect a better Dillon this year as well. But I still think he has some issues trying to be a RB he isn't. Looks like a Quadzilla, but doesn't always run like one.

WR/TE - Good - I'm willing to put this in the good category because of what I've seen from Watson and Doubs, and frankly Musgrave. They are young and I hope we don't see a sophomore slump. If they can be as good as I think, this is a great group next season. Will still have some growing pains with such a young group.

OL - Great - Outside of a possibly questionable center spot this group is awesome. Maybe just ok on the run blocking, but they should be a premier pass-blocking unit. And that's without Bak. We are well setup for a great OL for a long time.

DL - Good - Is this the year Clark goes ape? I hope so. I like what Brooks and Wooden have brought, plus flashes from Wyatt. But still a young group so will have to wait and see. But I think its solid.

Edge - Good/Great - Smith/Gary lean this thing great. If Van Ness/Enagbare/Cox/Hollins all show what they showed in the preseason, this is some great depth.

CB - Great - Maybe not the best deep depth, but I won't say anything other than great having Jaire, Sul, and Nixon as the top 3.

S - Bad - I'm just going to lean bad here. When Savage is the guy who's the no-brainer to start, that scares me a bit. But I'm hoping he plays within the system and they all work together and don't do their own thing like they did last year. Could be a fine group in the end as long as we don't put too much on them (get it done up front!)

ST - Unknown - lots of new faces, I expect some hardships. But I'll keep it as unknown.

3 Great
3 Good or Good/Great
1 bad
2 unknown

I'd say that puts us squarely between 5 and 11 wins. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

musclestang wrote:
31 Aug 2023 10:24
Amari was a guy I had high hopes for, but he just couldn't put it together on the field. Physically talented, but it takes more than that at this level.
All of his talent was from the neck on down. ;)

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
31 Aug 2023 12:26
I'm sure it's been addressed here, but I wanted to get this as a thinking out loud exercise. Are we good, bad, great, unknown at each position group.

QB - Unknown - I have to give Love an unknown at this point. But I am at least leaning in the positive direction. I like a lot of what I've seen this preseason. But I fully expect there will be moments that I say, "Why the F did you throw that?!?". But this very well could end up being a good.

RB - Great - What's not to like about Aaron Jones? I expect a better Dillon this year as well. But I still think he has some issues trying to be a RB he isn't. Looks like a Quadzilla, but doesn't always run like one.

WR/TE - Good - I'm willing to put this in the good category because of what I've seen from Watson and Doubs, and frankly Musgrave. They are young and I hope we don't see a sophomore slump. If they can be as good as I think, this is a great group next season. Will still have some growing pains with such a young group.

OL - Great - Outside of a possibly questionable center spot this group is awesome. Maybe just ok on the run blocking, but they should be a premier pass-blocking unit. And that's without Bak. We are well setup for a great OL for a long time.

DL - Good - Is this the year Clark goes ape? I hope so. I like what Brooks and Wooden have brought, plus flashes from Wyatt. But still a young group so will have to wait and see. But I think its solid.

Edge - Good/Great - Smith/Gary lean this thing great. If Van Ness/Enagbare/Cox/Hollins all show what they showed in the preseason, this is some great depth.

CB - Great - Maybe not the best deep depth, but I won't say anything other than great having Jaire, Sul, and Nixon as the top 3.

S - Bad - I'm just going to lean bad here. When Savage is the guy who's the no-brainer to start, that scares me a bit. But I'm hoping he plays within the system and they all work together and don't do their own thing like they did last year. Could be a fine group in the end as long as we don't put too much on them (get it done up front!)

ST - Unknown - lots of new faces, I expect some hardships. But I'll keep it as unknown.

3 Great
3 Good or Good/Great
1 bad
2 unknown

I'd say that puts us squarely between 5 and 11 wins. :lol:
:lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I will expand upon your ratings in a vacuum against what we will see from our 2023 schedule, on average, and off the top of my head.
paco wrote:
31 Aug 2023 12:26
QB - Unknown - Advantage

RB - Great - Advantage

WR/TE - Good - Push

OL - Great - Advantage

DL - Good - Push

Edge - Good/Great - Advantage

CB - Great - Advantage

S - Bad - Disadvantage

ST - Unknown - Disadvantage

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I think this is a good place on the thread to point to what Guty said this morning. He said something to the effect that we’ve made the roster more athletic and faster.

When I read that, my first thought was, “Okay, so we are NOT in a rebuild. Right?” I’m gonna need to think of a new word for the transition that just happened this year. If it isn’t a rebuild and isn’t a retool, then what kind of “re_____” is it?

Hahaha
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Aug 2023 14:15
I think this is a good place on the thread to point to what Guty said this morning. He said something to the effect that we’ve made the roster more athletic and faster.

When I read that, my first thought was, “Okay, so we are NOT in a rebuild. Right?” I’m gonna need to think of a new word for the transition that just happened this year. If it isn’t a rebuild and isn’t a retool, then what kind of “re_____” is it?

Hahaha
A re-evaluation? A re-speedening? :mrgreen:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
If it isn’t a rebuild and isn’t a retool, then what kind of “re_____” is it?
Re-turn of the Kings of the North…

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

A renew of the Packers as kings of the NFC North

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:

Hahaha
If ya look at the last 10 years or so we have made some serious roster changes, the most obvious being a new QB, and a complete retooling at the WR and TE positions, but thats about it, and the QB has been tutored and groomed for 3 years, 3 of the WR's are second year guys that showed the right stuff last year, one of the TE's looks walk on ready along with the other 2nd round pick WR Reed, every season now we see several WR and a TE make big contributions as rookies, hopefully Reed and Musgrave do so this season, I see no reason for either not to.

I like that Lafleur isn't shy about playing rookies.