Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Aug 2023 19:57
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Aug 2023 19:55
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Aug 2023 23:45
If I was a backup QB, I personally would be &%$@ in the starters socks. Big hard turds for the left foot so it feels weird to put weight on and soft wet ones for the right foot so he slips on the push off.

Never let anyone think they’re better than you.
What? Can you explain what this means?
Seems an odd thing to say, agreed.
First time reading lupe’s posts? :lol:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2023 20:55
wallyuwl wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Aug 2023 19:55

What? Can you explain what this means?
The "fiasco" part I usually get. But this fiasco is throwing me for a "lupe". :rotf:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Aug 2023 21:20
BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2023 20:55
wallyuwl wrote:

The "fiasco" part I usually get. But this fiasco is throwing me for a "lupe". :rotf:
That is some next level lupe stuff right there. Think about it though... makes perfect sense. A little Najeh Davenport in the QB's socks. Effective.

Read More. Post Less.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

NCF wrote:
31 Aug 2023 09:23
A little Najeh Davenport in the QB's socks. Effective.
Ha, "The Dump Truck"

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The Vikings now have an all-around TE on a 4-year $68 Million contract and a blocking TE on a 3-year $21 million contract

That's an average of $24M per year for two TEs. Obviously the cap and structure won't make it that way. But.... :shock:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Aug 2023 11:44
The Vikings now have an all-around TE on a 4-year $68 Million contract and a blocking TE on a 3-year $21 million contract

That's an average of $24M per year for two TEs. Obviously the cap and structure won't make it that way. But.... :shock:
Probably be $55M too once they extend Jefferson.

What does our whole O cost, like $70m this year? :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Wasn't the prevailing thought that Hockenson was a pretty average player in Detroit? He didn't have any major breakout that I recall after the trade to Minnesota. I get he is a nice player and still probably has a ton of potential, but what has he done to warrant being the highest paid TE in football?

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

NCF wrote:
31 Aug 2023 14:05
Wasn't the prevailing thought that Hockenson was a pretty average player in Detroit? He didn't have any major breakout that I recall after the trade to Minnesota. I get he is a nice player and still probably has a ton of potential, but what has he done to warrant being the highest paid TE in football?
He is a nice piece, for sure. But is he elite? (For this is elite tier pay.)

We’ll see if he catches 80+ catches this year and scores 10+ TDs. If he’s only a move-the-chains guy, then there’s no way they should’ve paid him this much.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NCF wrote:
what has he done to warrant being the highest paid TE in football?
Nothing. Hock could maybe take a big step and become elite because he has great talent, but he is not there yet or really anywhere close. In a year, MIN might not even have a QB worth a damn to get the ball to him anyway. Very stupid personnel management.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
31 Aug 2023 14:29
NCF wrote:
Nothing. Hock could maybe take a big step and become elite because he has great talent, but he is not there yet or really anywhere close. In a year, MIN might not even have a QB worth a damn to get the ball to him anyway. Very stupid personnel management.
he has shown if ya throw him the ball he'll produce, he had over 900 yrds last year, teams pay players on potential all the time, if minny uses him the way they did late last year he'll have well over 1000 yrds plus the guy has a plus 60% catch rate.

had over 700 yrds his 2nd season, and he's now entering the years when TE's tend to spring board to being key offensive weapons for the teams they play for, Minny, just like us and other teams wants to play some small ball, to do that ya need a receiving TE, thats not a liability as a blocker.

the name of the game now is ball control, thump, thump, dink and dunk. :lol:

It's a copy cat league, if a team wins a SB with the help of a great TE, guess what? GM's go looking for gifted TE's, 68 divide times 4 = bargain dollars for expected production.

Minny isn't about to wait for a TE to grow a pair, and the draft produces very very few Musgraves, who we will find is a steal for the slot we got him
Last edited by Yoop on 31 Aug 2023 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Gil "draft Daddy" Brandt died, I always paid attention to his draft info, I remember his being very positive on Clay Mathew Jr. prior to the combine that year, along with many other players I liked over the years, RIP to another great football scout.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gil-brandt ... 28413.html

He was hired as a full-time scout by the San Francisco 49ers in 1958, and then, in 1960, he landed a job with the club that would be his home for almost the next 30 years: the Cowboys.

Gil Brandt used innovative scouting strategies to help the Dallas Cowboys become a powerhouse from the mid-1960s to the mid-1980s. (AP Photo/Greg Smith)

The Cowboys were a brand new team, and Brandt was one of the first people hired. He served as vice president of player personnel and was in charge of scouting, drafting and acquiring talent, and spent the next three decades innovating the NFL scouting process. He pioneered the use of computers in scouting, and created a scouting and talent evaluation system that numerous teams would copy. He was one of the first people to look beyond the U.S. and Canada for players, and to use the pool of undrafted free agents to find talent.

He even pioneered taking a flier on long-shot guys in the later rounds of the draft. By making off-script, gut feeling picks in the closing rounds, he found guys like Chad Hennings and Roger Staubach, and now every team does that kind of thing.

Brandt was let go from the Cowboys in May 1989, just over two months after Jerry Jones bought the team. During his tenure, the Cowboys posted 20 consecutive winning seasons (1965-85), made five trips to the Super Bowl and won two rings. On his way out the door, he even helped Jones pull of his first draft as Cowboys owner. The big name they drafted that year? Troy Aikman.
Last edited by Yoop on 31 Aug 2023 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
Speaking from a fantasy perspective, I believe he finished the year TE3 overall. However after that trade in MN, I believe he lead the league in targets, receptions and fantasy points for those last 10 games or whatever. And he put up a 10 catch 129 yard game in the playoffs.

And he's a very good blocker.

Durable young guy, I'd say definitely deserves to be paid as the #2 TE, theoretically behind Kelce.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
31 Aug 2023 15:34
NCF wrote:
Speaking from a fantasy perspective, I believe he finished the year TE3 overall. However after that trade in MN, I believe he lead the league in targets, receptions and fantasy points for those last 10 games or whatever. And he put up a 10 catch 129 yard game in the playoffs.

And he's a very good blocker.

Durable young guy, I'd say definitely deserves to be paid as the #2 TE, theoretically behind Kelce.
right, 10 games only started 7, guess it took 3 games to learn all his assignments, when ya brake down the dollars 17 mil annual isn't outrageous for the expected production, ya just have to scheme it right.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
31 Aug 2023 15:21
Labrev wrote:
NCF wrote:
he has shown if ya throw him the ball he'll produce, he had over 900 yrds last year, teams pay players on potential all the time, if minny uses him the way they did late last year he'll have well over 1000 yrds plus the guy has a plus 60% catch rate.
'Didn't know that. Good for him. Still skeptical he's worth top-dollar, especially if they don't have a QB after this season.

To me, a truly elite player is a guy who I dread going up against. Hock has been in our division for four years now and the idea of facing him has never worried me much. Yeah, he was rotting in Detroit, but there were still lots of guys on that team that I hated going up against. And I didn't feel differently after he got traded to MIN.

He's not that. I don't think it's implausible that he could become that, but right now, I am more inclined to feel happy MIN is losing lots of cap space than I feel dread about facing him for the next four years.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Labrev wrote:
31 Aug 2023 16:05
Yoop wrote:
31 Aug 2023 15:21
Labrev wrote:

'Didn't know that. Good for him. Still skeptical he's worth top-dollar, especially if they don't have a QB after this season.

To me, a truly elite player is a guy who I dread going up against. Hock has been in our division for four years now and the idea of facing him has never worried me much. Yeah, he was rotting in Detroit, but there were still lots of guys on that team that I hated going up against. And I didn't feel differently after he got traded to MIN.

He's not that. I don't think it's implausible that he could become that, but right now, I am more inclined to feel happy MIN is losing lots of cap space than I feel dread about facing him for the next four years.
I have to think that the list of players who blossomed into elite status after being traded within their own division is pretty short. It'd be an interesting list to see, actually.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Today you may have noticed a big change on OTC with every teams salary cap number’s with most teams cap room falling by a pretty sizeable amount. The reason for the change is that we have now made the change to regular season accounting for each team which means rosters count in full, including players on reserve lists, practice squads, etc…and those numbers add up quickly.

Currently we estimate eight teams to be over the salary cap. These teams are the Chiefs, Raiders, Buccaneers, Giants, Bills, Ravens, 49ers and Broncos. The Titans are just slightly under the salary cap. All teams in the NFL have until Thursday to be compliant with the salary cap which is the day that the NFL moves off the top 51 rule. So for these teams they will need to restructure contracts, extend players for cap relief, make some injury settlements, or move players off the roster to comply with the salary cap.

During the offseason, the cap rules are relaxed as teams move players on/off the 90 man roster. But starting this week,the cap rules tighten up
So we might see some contractual maneuvering over the next few days as teams comply with the in-season requirements
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I have always despised Sean Payton, but this is the closest I've ever come to liking him

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Caleb Williams' father in GQ magazine putting the Cardinals (obviously what he means by this, right?) ON NOTICE