Working with an athlete of mine.

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Working with an athlete of mine.

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I'm coaching XC this year.

I've got a girl who set a PR of 19:01 her freshman year, but struggled as a sophomore, quitting several races. She wasn't injured, she just stopped running. We had the first meet yesterday. She finished 5th out of 97. Heat index of 98. She ran 21:27. Everyone who finished in front of her was off their PR by 90+ seconds.

At the finish yesterday her fat ass mother sneered and said,"Why do you need expensive shoes if you are gonna run that slow?"

The girl starts crying. Later on she asks me if she is too fat. She then told me she has panic attacks before practice and before meets.

I talked to the track coach today. He saw the same stuff in the spring.

Any coaches here? Thoughts?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
23 Aug 2023 14:00

I've got a girl who set a PR of 19:01 her freshman year, but struggled as a sophomore, quitting several races. She wasn't injured, she just stopped running. We had the first meet yesterday. She finished 5th out of 97. Heat index of 98. She ran 21:27. Everyone who finished in front of her was off their PR by 90+ seconds.

At the finish yesterday her fat ass mother sneered and said,"Why do you need expensive shoes if you are gonna run that slow?"

The girl starts crying. Later on she asks me if she is too fat. She then told me she has panic attacks before practice and before meets.

Unfortunately, parents aren't supportive and that is going to be hard to overcome. Try to boost her confidence any way you can. Try to find successes anywhere you can. Find a teammate to mentor/befriend her. Make it fun above all else.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Aug 2023 17:35
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
23 Aug 2023 14:00

Unfortunately, parents aren't supportive and that is going to be hard to overcome. Try to boost her confidence any way you can. Try to find successes anywhere you can. Find a teammate to mentor/befriend her. Make it fun above all else.
This is about all you can do

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Tell off the $%&# mom!! :twisted:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Labrev wrote:
25 Aug 2023 16:36
I'm a public school teacher, so that really isn't an option...

If forced to choose between her parents and me, the kid chooses her home and family, so it is a no win situation if I confront mom directly.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
25 Aug 2023 21:12
Labrev wrote:
25 Aug 2023 16:36
I'm a public school teacher, so that really isn't an option...

If forced to choose between her parents and me, the kid chooses her home and family, so it is a no win situation if I confront mom directly.
This is America. Be passive aggressive with her.

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I can't speak to the coaching or the unfit mother, but I can speak from experience that anxiety/panic symptoms that are induced by exercise can be a sign of insufficient nutrition, particularly not enough complex carbohydrates.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

texas wrote:
28 Aug 2023 16:48
I can't speak to the coaching or the unfit mother, but I can speak from experience that anxiety/panic symptoms that are induced by exercise can be a sign of insufficient nutrition, particularly not enough complex carbohydrates.

I don't know.

I do think she has an eating disorder. Apparently like half of HS XC girls have issues with food and body image.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
02 Sep 2023 13:31
I do think she has an eating disorder. Apparently like half of HS XC girls have issues with food and body image.
Yeah, unfortunately once she's stuck, it can be tough to get out, and I would not be surprised at all if the panic attacks went away if/when the eating disorder does. The body produces stress hormones when it goes into starvation mode and those can crank up anxiety. Hopefully she can get some help, and focus on the biophysiological components in addition to her mother.