Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Let's set the record straight: I was the only person who defended the Gary pick. I know this because I founded his fan club; nobody signed up to join for two seasons.

Everybody else disliked it, but not everyone responded to their dislike the same way. Some complained about him at every opportunity, others accepted the pick notwithstanding their dislike of it and said 'let's at least give the kid a chance to prove himself on the field now.'

Yoop only remembers the second group of people, plus my solitary defense of the pick, and thinks it was everyone being big supporters of the pick and telling him he was wrong because his memory is shot while also having a Victim Complex.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gary was the #12 overall pic. How many super bowls have the Packers won since the arrival?
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
07 Sep 2023 12:30
Let's set the record straight: I was the only person who defended the Gary pick. I know this because I founded his fan club; nobody signed up to join for two seasons.

Everybody else disliked it, but not everyone responded to their dislike the same way. Some complained about him at every opportunity, others accepted the pick notwithstanding their dislike of it and said 'let's at least give the kid a chance to prove himself on the field now.'

Yoop only remembers the second group of people, plus my solitary defense of the pick, and thinks it was everyone being big supporters of the pick and telling him he was wrong because his memory is shot while also having a Victim Complex.
A bit harsh towards the end, but accurate. :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:

bull, most of this forum defended the pick, I remember it quite well, granted you may have been the most vocal defender, but I got push back from almost everyone here, it was a stupid pick at the time, brought about by a over zealous position coach and a weak minded General manager, guty should have traded back rather then draft a groomer, who the heck uses a 12 slot on a position just fortified in UFA.
Rashad Gary was a luxury pick.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I hate our 2021 long snapper so much that he got driven back to the punter to minimize Gary's absolute playoff dominance which then allows yoop to pump his chest saying it was a bad pick.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
07 Sep 2023 12:53
Labrev wrote:

bull, most of this forum defended the pick, I remember it quite well, granted you may have been the most vocal defender, but I got push back from almost everyone here, it was a stupid pick at the time, brought about by a over zealous position coach and a weak minded General manager, guty should have traded back rather then draft a groomer, who the heck uses a 12 slot on a position just fortified in UFA.
You got push back from those who disliked the pick but wanted to give the kid a chance to show what he could do on the field rather than just whine in perpetuity.

That's not defending the pick. That's just wanting to see some results before judging, a.k.a. being reasonable.

And no, the detractors weren't correct. Gary is one of the best players on this team, right now. Acting like people should have somehow known in 2019 he'd tear his acl in 2022, in a season he was tearing it up, is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Neither is it his fault that he got underused by a coaching staff that keeps playing mediocre starters over talented backups, when in Year 2 it was obvious to anyone who knows football(!) that he needed to be on the field more, that's a coach error not a GM error.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 Sep 2023 13:42
Yoop wrote:
07 Sep 2023 12:53
Labrev wrote:

You got push back from those who disliked the pick but wanted to give the kid a chance to show what he could do on the field rather than just whine in perpetuity.

That's not defending the pick. That's just wanting to see some results before judging, a.k.a. being reasonable.

And no, the detractors weren't correct. Gary is one of the best players on this team, right now. Acting like people should have somehow known in 2019 he'd tear his acl in 2022, in a season he was tearing it up, is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Neither is it his fault that he got underused by a coaching staff that keeps playing mediocre starters over talented backups, when in Year 2 it was obvious to anyone who knows football(!) that he needed to be on the field more, that's a coach error not a GM error.
come on Labrev, seriously, we already had the Smiths, in what universe does it make sense to use a 12 slot pick on a sure to be backup, and he wasn't ready to play year 2 when Z went out because he still hadn't learned how to leverage or use his hands, why blame the coaches for Gary's ineptness

and to this day that stuff has only marginally improved, it's the reason why he has problems finishing his rush to make the sack, he is slow to shed the blocker, it gets him a pass pressure, maybe a hit or even a knockdown, but not the sack, I actually do know football Labrev, heck last year was his best year as a finisher, yet his total pressure where off the 2021 pace, Gary is so over rated in this forum, we missed him bad after he was hurt last year mostly because our 2nd tier, Smith is so average, and Enagbar was very raw.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
07 Sep 2023 15:01
we already had the Smiths, in what universe does it make sense to use a 12 slot pick on a sure to be backup
This has been explained dozens of times. The Smiths were not the full proof answer they are now being made out to be, especially ZaDarius Smith. They both ended up working out. It was prudent to draft Gary considering, in 2018, Kyler Fackrell was our sack leader and we had no other returning OLBs going into 2019.

Gary isn't overrated by this forum:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... ket-value/
image.png
image.png (28.07 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 07 Sep 2023 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ok, Labrev and Brandon

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
07 Sep 2023 15:17
Ok, Labrev and Brandon
:rotf: give it time, others will pour in with support for using slot 12 on a bench burner. :rotf:

Pckfn: Z had 90 total pressures according to PFF in 2019 the year we drafted Gary for cripe sakes, was he proven prior? maybe not that well, but our GM gave him 75 mil. expecting he'd be good ( ball park guess, actual dollars are not needed) a backup for both Smiths, or even a starter can be had the same way we drafted Engabare last year.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
07 Sep 2023 15:39

Z had 90 total pressures according to PFF in 2019 the year we drafted Gary for cripe sakes,
Does not refute what I said, Z was on the Packers in 2019.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Okay. Well, we stopped, and the forum just died.

People say they are tired of hearing people argue about X over and over again.

Alright, well I am tired of hearing people complain that they are tired of hearing people argue (on a talk forum) about a given topic and then don't do anything to get any convo going.

Half of you must enjoy sitting at your desk with a mug of hot coffee, pulling up the site, hitting refresh, and staring into the void like "AHHH... nothingness! So nice." :messedup:
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Sep 2023 14:21
Saw Joe Burrow gunna sign a new contract before Sunday.

Should be the biggest contract in NFL history.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Love is going to be expensive when he makes Burrow look like a chump.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 Sep 2023 18:55

Alright, well I am tired of hearing people complain that they are tired of hearing people argue (on a talk forum) about a given topic and then don't do anything to get any convo going.

Half of you must enjoy sitting at your desk with a mug of hot coffee, pulling up the site, hitting refresh, and staring into the void like "AHHH... nothingness! So nice." :messedup:
these terrible moderators are infringing on our first amendment rights :rotfl:

I have to admit, there where maybe 1 or 2 possibly 3 times where I harped needlessly on a topic, the rest of the time I just wanted someone to talk to :rotf:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.facebook.com/reel/674182941 ... tid=2grWhx

I hope you can watch this. It injects smug satisfaction straight to my soul.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
07 Sep 2023 20:01
Labrev wrote:

these terrible moderators are infringing on our first amendment rights :rotfl:

I have to admit, there where maybe 1 or 2 possibly 3 times where I harped needlessly on a topic, the rest of the time I just wanted someone to talk to :rotf:

The complainers want the site to be as empty as the insides of their heads. Having to engage with ideas makes them have to think, which is too much exercise for their brains. :rotf:
—Magneto

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Labrev wrote:

I know it might be hard to believe, but some people actually have lives outside of this forum.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

williewasgreat wrote:
08 Sep 2023 04:33
Labrev wrote:

I know it might be hard to believe, but some people actually have lives outside of this forum.
That has nothing to do with anything.
—Magneto

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Labrev wrote:
08 Sep 2023 15:02
williewasgreat wrote:
08 Sep 2023 04:33
Labrev wrote:

That has nothing to do with anything.
Kind of answers your hypothesis that some people are just staring into the void. Also, some people might be sick of the ad nauseam back and forth that just states the same thing in different words. Not really much of a discussion.