Week 1 Games

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

The end here if it does end this way, classic case of great qb that doesn’t look great and get the win when other guys don’t do their jobs.

And I think both coaches were being reckless going for it. Detroit bailed out with drips and penalties. Will KC get help after they should have punted and used TOs?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

For only being 27 I am kind of amazed at how "slow" or "unathletic" Patrick Mahomes looked when trying to run the ball. It was kind of like watching Mercedes Lewis running after the catch.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
07 Sep 2023 22:21
The end here if it does end this way, classic case of great qb that doesn’t look great and get the win when other guys don’t do their jobs.

And I think both coaches were being reckless going for it. Detroit bailed out with drips and penalties. Will KC get help after they should have punted and used TOs?
KC beat themselves, with some help from Detroit :lol:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
07 Sep 2023 22:36
musclestang wrote:

The KC right tackle was in illegal formation nearly every play and it never was called.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I know they're literally our division rivals but I found it difficult to root against the Lions. Tired of seeing the refs hand the games to KC (and they tried tonight too). Plus idk it's the Lions, hard to hate a team as inept as they have been for so long.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Chiefs receivers were terrible. I know Toney was uniquely bad, but Skye Moore and #4 also struggled to bring some catchable balls in. Just absolutely stymied the offense out there.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

wallyuwl wrote:
07 Sep 2023 22:44
Yoop wrote:
07 Sep 2023 22:36
musclestang wrote:

The KC right tackle was in illegal formation nearly every play and it never was called.
He was, but it doesn't change my point. I'm not trying to take away from the Lions win, they clearly made Mahomes feel uncomfortable in spots last night and were able to keep coming with pressure.

But at the same time, he clearly made enough plays in my eyes to beat the Lions in many of those spots where they were playing tough aggressive D, he beat them. The problem was, key mistakes by certain players that left it all for naught. 1st downs became 3rd or 4th and longs instead because of drops and penalties. as is classic in the NFL, miss an opportunity it seems to force a 2nd mistake. Just like so many times on our own defense, it seems if they drop an INT, it almost assures the opposing team will rally for points on that drive LOL

Anyway, back to the topic. Lions played well, they weren't the same lay down lions. But KC killed themselves as well.

People can like Campbell's aggressiveness, but I think it's going to lose them as many as it's going to win them. Despite gifting the lions 6 points on a perfect pass, his decision to go for it late in the game should have sealed their fate. That's like 1 pass for the win for Mahomes where they gave them the ball. I wouldn't take the bet he's not going to complete a few. Lucky for the Lions, KC still couldn't catch a catchable ball and survived.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

musclestang wrote:
08 Sep 2023 05:30
People can like Campbell's aggressiveness, but I think it's going to lose them as many as it's going to win them. Despite gifting the lions 6 points on a perfect pass, his decision to go for it late in the game should have sealed their fate. That's like 1 pass for the win for Mahomes where they gave them the ball. I wouldn't take the bet he's not going to complete a few. Lucky for the Lions, KC still couldn't catch a catchable ball and survived.
I dunno.

I think Campbell realized there wasn't going to be much difference, at least historically, in punting the ball and giving Mahomes an additional 30 yds of field to cover vs going for it, not making it, and Mahomes having a relatively short field to score from. There was still over 2 min remaining and Mahomes has shown field position doesn't matter much in that game-winning drive scenario. If, however, the Lions had managed to make the 1st down, it'd have sealed the win right there.

In other words, I didn't hate the call under those circumstances.

Now, say Campbell makes the same decision in the same spot against a QB like Daniel Jones, and I'll question it all day.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Lions locker room post-game.

Yeah, they're our division rival and all, but what a great moment for a perennially losing franchise. :aok:

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/lion ... elebration

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
07 Sep 2023 19:24
Jealous of how loud that crowd is.
Guessing they quieted down quite a bit after that one.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

KC is wasting Mahome's Prime!

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

APB wrote:
08 Sep 2023 06:02

I dunno.

I think Campbell realized there wasn't going to be much difference, at least historically, in punting the ball and giving Mahomes an additional 30 yds of field to cover vs going for it, not making it, and Mahomes having a relatively short field to score from. There was still over 2 min remaining and Mahomes has shown field position doesn't matter much in that game-winning drive scenario. If, however, the Lions had managed to make the 1st down, it'd have sealed the win right there.

Now, say Campbell makes the same decision in the same spot against a QB like Daniel Jones, and I'll question it all day.
If i'm really trusting my defense, I'm pinning them back and taking away a big chunk of the play book. it doesn't get much more difficult to play defense than when the offense is between the 30's

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
08 Sep 2023 08:52
APB wrote:

I dunno.

If i'm really trusting my defense, I'm pinning them back and taking away a big chunk of the play book. it doesn't get much more difficult to play defense than when the offense is between the 30's
roll of the dice imo, thing is ON KC's 2nd score the offense went 3 plays for a TD that covered about 65 yrds, culminating with a gut run for about 12 yrds, Mahomes and those receivers can pull off big chunk plays, in fact that is there strong suit.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Sep 2023 22:19
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
07 Sep 2023 22:18
Curious choice to go for it on 4th-20 and then 4th-25 after the false start
Ya, punt with essentially 4 timeouts might have been a better idea than going for that...
No kidding. It says a lot of how much faith Reid had in his D stopping Detroit's running game. :shock:

I have a feeling Detroit is going to win this division if they continue to play like that. That was one hell of a statement game by them on national TV. :?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
08 Sep 2023 09:01
musclestang wrote:
APB wrote:

I dunno.

roll of the dice imo, thing is ON KC's 2nd score the offense went 3 plays for a TD that covered about 65 yrds, culminating with a gut run for about 12 yrds, Mahomes and those receivers can pull off big chunk plays, in fact that is there strong suit.
While [mention]Yoop[/mention]'s recollection of that 2nd drive is completely inaccurate, I agree with the sentiment.

The best bet, IMO, is keeping Mahomes on the sideline. They tried but failed. It was a reasonable gamble, IMO.

Where Mahomes begins his drive in those clutch situations, historically and quite famously, has little impact with his ability to drive his team for a score. He's shown on many occasions he can strike quickly from anywhere on the filed in even the biggest of moments.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
08 Sep 2023 09:56
Yoop wrote:
musclestang wrote:

While @Yoop's recollection of that 2nd drive is completely inaccurate, I agree with the sentiment.

The best bet, IMO, is keeping Mahomes on the sideline. They tried but failed. It was a reasonable gamble, IMO.

Where Mahomes begins his drive in those clutch situations, historically and quite famously, has little impact with his ability to drive his team for a score. He's shown on many occasions he can strike quickly from anywhere on the filed in even the biggest of moments.
inaccurate? the only difference was the score was also a pass with yac that scored for KC, 3 plays for about 60 yrds=TD

The Chiefs were facing fourth-and-2 near midfield but had been called for holding, and rather than decline it, Campbell chose to push them back. Mahomes responded to third-and-17 by hitting Marquez Valdes-Scantling with a 24-yard strike. He added a 26-yard pass to Justin Watson, then hit Blake Bell with a short TD throw to give the Chiefs a 14-7 halftime lead.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Haha, the Lions are warming all of our hearts today. Just give it 2 months and they'll be our biggest rival and we'll be hating them. Just watch. :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
07 Sep 2023 22:19
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
07 Sep 2023 22:18
Curious choice to go for it on 4th-20 and then 4th-25 after the false start
Ya, punt with essentially 4 timeouts might have been a better idea than going for that...
Would it matter that they gave up the first down on three rushing plays from a different field position? Non-factor in the game.

Also, am I the only one who, rather than come away impressed, felt like both teams looked rusty and not-contendery last night? I mean, the Chiefs were literally down 2 of their top 3 players, but the players who played did not play well enough--from the OL to the receiving weapons.

Meanwhile, the Lions were fiesty and all, but scored 14 offensive points? Also down one of their top receiving weapons (Jameson Williams) to be sure.

But both teams just looked kinda average to me last night. Not that that's saying how their seasons will turn out. But I didn't come away with the "wow, the Lions looked good" or anything.

Speaking of, I'm already annoyed with Packers fans enjoying the Lions' success. I, too, think of them more like a little brother than a hated rival; but when your little brother becomes a threat to you, you don't have to root for him. The Lions dropping this game would have been a great start for the Packers' division chances. Winning it is unequivocally bad for us.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
08 Sep 2023 10:26
APB wrote:
08 Sep 2023 09:56
Yoop wrote:

While @Yoop's recollection of that 2nd drive is completely inaccurate, I agree with the sentiment.

inaccurate? the only difference was the score was also a pass with yac that scored for KC, 3 plays for about 60 yrds=TD

The Chiefs were facing fourth-and-2 near midfield but had been called for holding, and rather than decline it, Campbell chose to push them back. Mahomes responded to third-and-17 by hitting Marquez Valdes-Scantling with a 24-yard strike. He added a 26-yard pass to Justin Watson, then hit Blake Bell with a short TD throw to give the Chiefs a 14-7 halftime lead.
The 2nd scoring drive was 6 plays and there was never a run in that drive.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 08 Sep 2023 10:48, edited 1 time in total.