2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

The 60's also had hash marks wider apart. Meaning, covering sideline to sideline required D linemen and linebackers that could run! Moving the hash markers in was done to open up the passing offense. More scoring, and longer drives, running plays now executed in closer quarters, eventually leading to bigger run stuffers as a norm.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

flapackfan wrote:
05 Sep 2023 10:14
The 60's also had hash marks wider apart. Meaning, covering sideline to sideline required D linemen and linebackers that could run! Moving the hash markers in was done to open up the passing offense. More scoring, and longer drives, running plays now executed in closer quarters, eventually leading to bigger run stuffers as a norm.
Actually you could throw your smaller slower personnel to the short side of the field since the O would run out of road on that side and could be pushed out of bounds. Moving the hash marks in, helped the running game out, since the short sideline wasn't as short. Teams could run to either side instead of usually running to the wider side of the field.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
08 Aug 2023 08:13
TheSkeptic wrote:
08 Aug 2023 07:20
Getting back to the theme of this post ...

With Gary back way ahead of schedule, this D is substantially better than the team that held opponents to 20 points or less for 10 games last season.

It would still help to have Stokes return to 100% and someone has to step up at safety. Baring critical injuries this should be a top 5 D.
Maybe short of the combination of Wyatt and Slaton, there really isn’t a hole on the D anywhere without a proven good player, other than safety.

Given Gary and LVN can both likely rush inside, and we are sitting on Wyatt who has been flashing like crazy, not super worried about that DL spot.

Broken record here for 15 years now, but this D should be really good. I guess if you had to pick any position to have a weak spot on D you would choose safety. But wonder if we do win a quick few if we possibly enter the safety market before the trade deadline.
The talent on this D is there but can we count on the DC leading this group....? :?

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pugger wrote:
09 Sep 2023 09:10
The talent on this D is there but can we count on the DC leading this group....? :?
That’s the million dollar question we’re all waiting to be answered. Wish I had a better feeling about it.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Wish they would not have given up the late, cheap TD, but 20 points is fine. Especially when they put up 7 of their own.

Far more aggressive approach was a welcome sight.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pissed the bares got 20.

Foolish to leave fields out there for so long. Was hoping he’d get a good shoulder pad under the chinstrap. Make him a martyr to save other QBs from getting hurt in the future.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
10 Sep 2023 20:11
Pissed the bares got 20.

Foolish to leave fields out there for so long. Was hoping he’d get a good shoulder pad under the chinstrap. Make him a martyr to save other QBs from getting hurt in the future.
Couldn’t let Tyson Bagent come in and start a QB controversy :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 08:43
love it, if this type pass rush is a constant we are going to have huge interception numbers again :aok:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

WooooW

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

And Kenny was just a baby 20 year old at the combine. Would have loved to see him test again at 22 or 23.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

After 2 games, I expect to see out of the 2023 D what I have come to expect from the Pack's D over the past 12 years.

The Packers D was dominated physically and failed to deliver when the going got tough.

There are 8 first round picks and 3 high-priced free agents on this defense and we still get this performance ... against a team with Desmond Ridder at QB.

IMO, the approach to playing D is broken from top to bottom in Green Bay and it has been for a long time.

Feel free to let me know why I'm wrong and why the D will be different this season.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This pretty much aligns with past, present, and future expectations for the Joe Barry led Packers defense.

:kaboom:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
17 Sep 2023 20:33
This pretty much aligns with past, present, and future expectations for the Joe Barry led Packers defense.

:kaboom:

A case could be made that Bijan against Devondre would result in Bijan easily winning that matchup around 85% (or more) of the time. The 10 yard thing hardly mattered.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah they needed to call a timeout on that 3rd and 3. Everyone in the stadium knew where that ball was going when 59 was lined up wide on #7
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

[mention]Scott4Pack[/mention] A case could also be made they basically conceded the 1st down, not even bothering to challenge the play.

I’d take 15% probability of success (your probability scenario) if they challenged the completion over a 0% probability.

What I’d really prefer is Barry actually noticing the one player who has been burning them all day and tailoring his defense to adequately defend him in crucial moments of the game.

TB4
Reactions:

Post by TB4 »

APB wrote:
17 Sep 2023 20:46
@Scott4Pack A case could also be made they basically conceded the 1st down, not even bothering to challenge the play.

I’d take 15% probability of success (your probability scenario) over a 0% probability.

What I’d actually prefer is Barry actually noticing the one player who has been burning them all day and tailoring his defense to adequately defend him in crucial moments of the game.
Agreed but that type of coaching would usually be reserved for defensive coordinators who have in-game awareness and the understanding that when the offense adjusts to what you are doing then you must adjust to what they're doing now. Joey Boy has never evolved into that type of a Coordinator (maybe as he gets a few more years of experience, he will learn that attribute) sarcasm

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
17 Sep 2023 20:44
Yeah they needed to call a timeout on that 3rd and 3. Everyone in the stadium knew where that ball was going when 59 was lined up wide on #7
Yes. I also think they should’ve called a TO at that point. Would they have ever conceded a first down at this point before the ball is snapped. Oh, I hope not! But this was an obvious mismatch. That isn’t taking anything away from Campbell. He’s a good player. But he can’t accelerate or pivot or turn of have the speed that Bijan does.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!